600D Audio TEST release - 2.3 based

Started by scrax, August 13, 2012, 10:28:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scrax

This topic is about the first beta test release for 600D audio control, post what you find working and your suggestions.
For issue post them on the issue tracker (but check this before).

Things to test:
- ML not loading on other camera
- if value are right for each option(vol, gain, effect...)
- if all works as expected
- try to figure out the settings for having the best audio signal recorded
- audio monitoring
- audio trigger
- DC filter
- any other audio related function (Play, canon setup, etc.)

Menu differences from ML 2.3 user guide
Override Settings: When On ML controls audio, when Off Canon control audio (It need to be ON for ML audio functions to work)
Analog gain+boost: raise the volume gain to the max an the use mic boost to 30dB more
Analog mic boost: boost mic volume in +5dB step (same boost used before)
Digital Gain: set global and L/R digital gain
Wind Filter: enable DC filter and HP filter, HP filter frequency

and keep in mind that there is a start-up lag due to the test build message, stable build will be faster at boot.

SOURCE REPO: https://bitbucket.org/miyake_t/magic-lantern600daudio/overview
600D audio Test version 0.11 released
http://chirari.ddo.jp/pub/betauploader/600Daudio/
(rename to autoexec.bin)
History
-add func for HighBitrate video with WAV recording
-Solve issue: Can't over ride when recording 1st time wav sound.
-Completely equalizer off,
-override audio is faster now. stuttering was small when start recording.
-add some exception for wav recording.
-Playback VOL to 0db.(monitor sound become big)
-all audio setting func is more faster

Known issues(spec?):
-can't override when we change volume and audio off/agc/manual settings in canon menu.
*Do override off and on. It means restart overriding.
-Don't work with canon volume 0.
-Wav playback is small volume

autoexec10.bin (need rename to autoexec.bin)
http://chirari.ddo.jp/pub/betauploader/600Daudio/
(Uploader changed. )
History
-audio remote shot en-bug solved
-DC& HPF2 filter bug solved. (Previously these filters are always on)
-delete unused global filter on/off
-beep/audio recording/playback working only without connected RCA monitor cable.
-This version is not support WAV record and Movie record together

DOWNLOAD 0.9: http://chirari.ddo.jp/ml/600Daudio/autoexec9.bin (rename to autoexec.bin)
-Solved two monitoring issues.
  *solved display blackout when plugged Headphone and HPmon ON and Override OFF.
  *solved strange volume issue when cfg_override off and monitor mode off.
DOWNLOAD 0.8: http://chirari.ddo.jp/ml/600Daudio/autoexec8.bin (rename to autoexec.bin)
-Added effect mode control in Digital menu
-Completely split menu item for analog[gain,boost], add these into submenu.

Added control for effect mode. But only working "Notch filter". Because when camera standby,
all Equalizer parameter was reset by canon firm. 

DOWNLOAD 0.7: http://chirari.ddo.jp/ml/600Daudio/autoexec7.bin (rename to autoexec.bin)
-merge with current repo
-reduce pop noise and responce up when setting audio chip.
-monitoring lauch timing issue solved(startup related) (@klangdrang reported)
-monitoring off is perfectly working.
DOWNLOAD 0.6: http://chirari.ddo.jp/ml/600Daudio/autoexec6.bin (rename to autoexec.bin)
-Solved issue #15(taken picture preview in movie_mode)
-startup/preview response up.
DOWNLOAD 0.5: http://chirari.ddo.jp/ml/600Daudio/autoexec5.bin (rename to autoexec.bin)
-meter sencitivity issue . may be solved
DOWNLOAD 0.4: http://chirari.ddo.jp/ml/600Daudio/autoexec4.bin (rename to autoexec.bin)
-solved override exception handling
DOWNLOAD 0.3: http://chirari.ddo.jp/ml/600Daudio/autoexec3.bin (rename to autoexec.bin)
-solved taken picture preview on shoot mode
-solved recording stop issue
-added msg when overridden.
DOWNLOAD 0.2: http://chirari.ddo.jp/ml/600Daudio/autoexec2.bin (rename to autoexec.bin)
-added Shortcut support Audio control
-Digital gain mute is displayed -100 dB now
-Solved Monitoring frees issue
-Solved Monitoring high level noise issue
DOWNLOAD 0.1: http://bit.ly/On4Tjm
MD5 checksum: 15bd999fbb6fde55a01780d218a79e1d

ISSUE TRACKER

NOTE: it will load on 600D only, on other camera ML will not be loaded (like if started with SET pressed).

How thing works:

I'm using ML2.3 for photography with:
EOS 600DML | EOS 400Dplus | EOS 5D MLbeta5- EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro  - EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM - EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM - 580EXII - OsX, PS, LR, RawTherapee, LightZone -no video experience-

miyake

# cat /var/log/httpd/access_log | grep autoexec.bin | wc -l

2 Known issues are already solved next release ver.0.2 .

juantrueno

OK! I'm testing, but now it seems that is not working for me.
tried with internal and external mic with head phones, but audiometers doesn't show audio activity but canon's menu does,
i hear beep but only in right phone, very low.

am i doing something wrong? do i have to do a fresh install, or copying auto_exec.bin is enough?
when turning camera on, ML shows the test relase advice.

tried recording, but video has no audio.

Canon 600D. Canon 18-135mm f 4/5.6 / 50mm f 1.8 / Yashica (Análogos) 28mm f 2.8 / 50mm f 1.4 / 135mm f 2.8
Vimeo.com/juantrueno youtube.com/juakinyan @JuanTrueno

miyake

Did you switch on the "Audio override" ?
and analog gain or digital gain setting is correct values?

juantrueno

Quote from: miyake on August 14, 2012, 06:07:51 AM
Did you switch on the "Audio override" ?
and analog gain or digital gain setting is correct values?

@Miyake

I did override, dont know exactly how to set digital or analog values, tried different ones, but again no audio on stand by or recording movie.
Can you give a number to set those values?

Thanks again
Canon 600D. Canon 18-135mm f 4/5.6 / 50mm f 1.8 / Yashica (Análogos) 28mm f 2.8 / 50mm f 1.4 / 135mm f 2.8

miyake

You may try to find best setting your self.
First, you may set all Digital values to 0.
Touch only "Analog gain" .

I guess, if you can't record any sound in recording, you had miss taken in input select settings.
check it.

johndb

I have begun testing the 600D beta. Generally, all settings work but I have yet to get into detailed level testing for recording. My initial settings that appear to work:

Analog gain+boots: +50 dB (testing environment fairly quite)
Analog mic boost: +20 dB (testing environment fairly quite)
Digital gain: default
Input source: external stereo (I have tried internal and sources ok)
Output volume: 11 dB (testing environment fairly quite)
Headphone Mon: On (Using Sescom 550D Headphone monitoring cable, Sony CD850 Headphones)
Audio Meters: On

Problem 1: Black display on boot when AV cable connected. (Appears that it is frozen - Initially had to pull battery but workaround as follows)

Sequence:

1. AV Cable plugged in and Camera off
2. Turn camera on in Video mode - Display is off and camera appears to be dead
3. You have to press "Trash" button and then SET button and camera wakes with display and external monitoring working. I am assuming that you must already have it positioned to the Monitor item in the menu.

Problem 2: Camera will freeze with AV Monitor plugged in and you turn off monitor in menu

Sequence:

1. Monitor on
2. Turn off Headphone Monitor
3. Camera freezes with no display

You must either pull the battery (Reboot) or ...
Pull out the AV cable from camera. Pulling out the AV camera will show the display and camera functions correctly.

These are my initial findings ... more to come.

This is a great start, well done.

600D ML | 450D | EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM, EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM, EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM, Speedlite 580EX II, Azden SMX-10 Microphone; Sony Vegas HD Platinum, DxO Optics Pro, DxO Filmpack, Oloneo HDR Photoengine

scrax

Quote from: johndb on August 14, 2012, 02:14:12 PM
I have begun testing the 600D beta. Generally, all settings work but I have yet to get into detailed level testing for recording. My initial settings that appear to work:

Problem 1 is how it works, if monitor is OFF when connected headphone cable, video goes to the yellow rca (check with a TV) and ML menu close so LCD is black, your workaround is switching it ON blindly.

Problem 2 is a bug in switching off monitor maybe, will look at it.
EOS 600DML | EOS 400Dplus | EOS 5D MLbeta5- EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro  - EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM - EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM - 580EXII - OsX, PS, LR, RawTherapee, LightZone -no video experience-

johndb

Quote from: scrax on August 14, 2012, 02:22:33 PM
Problem 1 is how it works, if monitor is OFF when connected headphone cable, video goes to the yellow rca (check with a TV) and ML menu close so LCD is black, your workaround is switching it ON blindly.

This makes sense. Thanks for explaining.

Thanks.

Incidentally, what is the significance of the volume levels turning "red" when increasing to a certain levels?
600D ML | 450D | EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM, EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM, EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM, Speedlite 580EX II, Azden SMX-10 Microphone; Sony Vegas HD Platinum, DxO Optics Pro, DxO Filmpack, Oloneo HDR Photoengine

miyake

I think Problem 2 is also correct thing.
If you turn off monitor, LCD output will move to RCA yellow. So you can't see LCD .
Then you can pull out AV cable , you can see LCD again.

Also, You may blind touch the Trash->SET.
It means a
1: ML menu open
2: monitor trun on(because ML menu remember the position of last things.)

So please confirm, Problem2 and pull out AV cable. And then monitor turn on and push in the AV cable.
Also you can check push the REC button when your LCD off.  You can see SD access lamp. Therefore you can check actually camera is hangup or not.

Anyway, Thankyou for your report.

scrax

miyake I was thinking the same, but instead I've got a freeze not  LCD off only. tonight i work but will bring camera with me and make some test if time permits. My last test confirm your idea, it's not freezed just LCD off, maybe only sometime it freeze

value become red when using analog boost (and the second option analog mic boost will be ignore).

Using the first Analog gain+boost you are increasing analog gain till max and then you have 6 more step from boost.
If you keep analog gain under +35dB you can use the second menu (analog mic boost) to increase only boost.
this to check if for example 0dB gain +30dB boost are better than 30dB gain + 0dB boost.

Also if Override Setting is OFF and you switch headphone OFF you will have noise probably, i see the bar full red.

miyake

Cought hangup
Also this video will show behavior of AudioMoniter ON/OFF

volume function thing.
Oh really?
Canon menu is changing
    1:analog gain to max
    2:mic boost to max
    3:digital gain LR to max
So I implemented 1&2. If you said correct thing , we can get more clear sound by our ML audio menus. We don't need to use volume level 1.
Great thing.

full red thing
OK , If you reproduce it. Get regdump!
Then we are easy to solve it.

Anyway, 3am in JP, Good night.

caddiganfilms

I really don't want to get in the way here, but it looks as though you guys are close to solving the 600d audio monitoring issue!  I just returned a sescom cable after finding that it didn't work with my camera, and even thought of downgrading to a 550d in order to monitor audio.

My question is, is there any way to be notified (an email list perhaps) when this is stable?

Francis

While the feature may become stable sooner than later, given that it was 8 months between stable releases of ML (2.2 to 2.3) you should just check back from time to time. Once solidified this will added to the unified branch and end up in some developmental/experimental release. Eventually we plan on doing nightly builds available to donors and supporters.

That's part of the benefit of staying active in the community, you get access to bleeding edge development.

1%

The monitoring is stable enough. Just use it.

miyake

Quote from: scrax on August 14, 2012, 07:06:20 PM
Also if Override Setting is OFF and you switch headphone OFF you will have noise probably, i see the bar full red.

Maybe solved it. Please check it.

And, hangup issue was reproduce my 600D. and I understand the reason. But thinking now. So time to solve it.

MSG added
Also hangup issue was gone.

-How to reproduce.
Override on , monitor on
1: connect/disconnect AV cable
2: finally keep connected AV cable
3: monitoring turn off

Then, the audio_monitoring_update() is not updated correct status.  Current code is timing sensible.
So I changed to delayed update .

miyake

I'm totally misunderstanding our relations. Testers are not customer. Their are also volunteer like us.
We developer is volunteer too.
So I don't need to think customer impact issues such as a normal software development.
Testers are also our development team members.

So I will upload more quickly , before all developer confirmed new build .

Nightly build 0.2 is out
http://chirari.ddo.jp/ml/600Daudio/autoexec2.bin
History

I think more test needed in monitoring. Please check it.

scrax

Quote from: miyake on August 15, 2012, 04:14:25 AM
I'm totally misunderstanding our relations. Testers are not customer. Their are also volunteer like us.
We developer is volunteer too.
So I don't need to think customer impact issues such as a normal software development.
Testers are also our development team members.

So I will upload more quickly , before all developer confirmed new build .

Nightly build 0.2 is out
http://chirari.ddo.jp/ml/600Daudio/autoexec2.bin
History

I think more test needed in monitoring. Please check it.
Totally agree. And since we are on this topic, I'm considering you as main developer of audio functions and so you don't need to wait for confirm from me if you think it's not needed (1% did a lot of work in discovering the register values and more also, but he's working on a lot of other things too so he can't follow closely like you or me this part). I'm a sort of tester too, I can follow development and make some patch but I know really little about C and software development.
This to say that anyone that want to help could start from testing already compiled .bin and then end up adding function to ML like it was for me.

EDIT: I've added a workaround for compiling with -mlong-calls only when on mac, this was removed since it was needed also on mac with older toolschain, but now I think it could be keept also on main branch because for win and linus there are working toolchain without it. Maybe a1ex should confirm this?

1%

If everyone adds a little soon we have something big. Its fine putting up bins, you don't have to ask them every time.

miyake

@scrax
I think scrax and 1%'s confirmation is most better. But I know you two are busy now.
So I think that a little different of testers report and your report, But testers report is helpful in current situations.

I thought  you and 1% are good work for this part. and I don't need want to establish a position of superiority in this part.
Just only I want to "quick development" and "smart development".

quick means a, we are not huge company, opensource software development project. Our footwork is most flexible. I think we should not do same thing with huge company. (a lot of allowing from company ) It means a slow down the development speed.

smart means , .,,  we are sharing code on mercurial. and a lot of coding style existing.
I just only want to coordinate for  best usage of mercurial and to make a efficient codes.

However, I know that my English may be  poor.  I think I couldn't tell you all of my thought ....
And If you and 1% got bad feel from me, I'm sorry for it.

juantrueno

Well Done!!

Works really great.  Audio monitoring is working with usb-rca canon's wired.  i have to wait a few seconds for normal function after turning on, or after screen shuts down on energy saver.

haven´t record yet or tested video in post, but i will.
i heard hiss noise still even if agc is off.
gain controls seems to work ok. some times when changing value in analog mic boost it seems like the audio on monitor changes.. its like a refresh, don´t know how to express it... sorry for my english.

That´s for now,

scrax

The only problem with bins is if they get confused with some sort of last release like it was for older bleeding-edge bin released with mailing list.
So until there is the TEST build message there is no problem in posting them. Instead it's almost fondamental for testing and feedback.

@miyake,
I'm having not at all any bad feeling from you or 1%, you hare doing a great job and I like a lot working with you on this.
Your effort in making code efficient and easy to merge in unified and maintain is of help also for me, like for boost code, when you added case instead of if. I'm more confident in pushing patch thanks to that.
I like to learn more so i'll ask if I don't understand something you reverted or added.  ;)

1%

I had no complaints. I hope people are reading threads when downloading the bins, I would. I use the bin I compile day to day. But I don't always shoot audio because I'm testing bit rates.

miyake

I found one more bug in shoot mode.
When we turn overridden audio, taken picture preview is not working .

I guess, easy to solve it.  I think it will solved on Build version 0.3.

johndb

Tested Beta .2 and all functions seem to be working! Recording and Monitor work fine.
The Wind Filter effect is very subtle. Possible have a sub menu with cutoff frequency, roll-off slope, and -gain level?