Author Topic: DIGIC 7 development (200D/SL2, 800D/T7i, 77D, 6D2)  (Read 87489 times)

names_are_hard

• Contributor
  • New to the forum
Re: DIGIC 7 development (200D/SL2, 800D/T7i, 77D, 6D2)
« Reply #200 on: June 14, 2019, 10:07:43 PM »
Very unlikely. Magic Lantern is the "special code" that allows changing how the cam behaves.

totalmichel

• New to the forum
« Reply #201 on: June 14, 2019, 10:19:15 PM »
Very unlikely. Magic Lantern is the "special code" that allows changing how the cam behaves.

I dont know much about assembly , but from what i got from the code exemples ML peeks and pokes memory adress to change settings, we already know that 6D2 can run custom codes. so what is necessary is to know where to poke the memory adress to change the codec.
i know how to program c# (not very useful to ml porting), so i'm investigating about arm assembly, and trying to learn basic stuff (as difficult as it may be), i also know that theres a way to log what the camera memory does while using different stuff (its used to find free memory spaces)

what i need to know is theres any way to find where to poke? and any way to make it run on power on? (even if necessary an custom card for it)

i know that is not ML porting, but it could be a temporary patch to enable the native 4k codec

names_are_hard

• Contributor
  • New to the forum
« Reply #202 on: June 14, 2019, 11:14:51 PM »
As I understand it, a lot of the difficulty is in getting ML to stay memory resident through the boot process.  There is also a great deal of complexity dealing with an interrupt driven real-time OS with multiple processors.  What you're asking would need all of that stuff.  And at that point the hard parts of porting ML are done, so you may as well use ML and get the rest for free.

In any case, this is getting quite off-topic for this thread - really you are asking "is there a way to do just one thing on any Canon cam, I don't want all of ML". 

totalmichel

• New to the forum
« Reply #203 on: June 15, 2019, 12:26:38 PM »
As I understand it, a lot of the difficulty is in getting ML to stay memory resident through the boot process.  There is also a great deal of complexity dealing with an interrupt driven real-time OS with multiple processors.  What you're asking would need all of that stuff.  And at that point the hard parts of porting ML are done, so you may as well use ML and get the rest for free.

In any case, this is getting quite off-topic for this thread - really you are asking "is there a way to do just one thing on any Canon cam, I don't want all of ML".

im not asking to be developed for me, im asking the more seasoned devs if theres any way i can try to develop that, or if is just impossible.

names_are_hard

• Contributor
  • New to the forum
« Reply #204 on: June 15, 2019, 04:15:18 PM »
Ah, I see, I hadn't understood that absolute possibility was what you were concerned with.  It would certainly be *possible* to do what you're asking.  It would probably be easier to port ML, then add the feature you want, than develop the feature you want from scratch.