Author Topic: Battery grip pins / UART  (Read 18136 times)

kitor

• Contributor
Re: Battery grip pins / UART
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2019, 07:41:30 AM »
In case of R, UART is hidden under thumb rubber, next to Trash button (there's a hole to access connector). Pinout:
Code: [Select]
1. 0V (not GND)
2. RXDICU (1v8)
3. TXDICU (1v8)
4. GND
5. RXDMPU (3v3)
6. TXDMPU (3v3)
7. ? (3v3)
8. ? (3v3)

For upcoming RP I expect the same.
Note that R (and RP on mentioned photo) has 2nd similar connector next to this one. No communication was visible, something tells me this may be JTAG. However not accessible without disassembling camera.
EOS R

a1ex

• Administrator
  • Emergencies only
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2019, 11:34:11 AM »
5D Mark III: it's available right under the rubber cover, see these pictures from iFixit, or this from fixyourcamera.org. It's the white connector on the bottom right, with 12 pins. You don't need to disassemble the camera to access it.

Probed the pins with a FTDI RS232 dongle, at 3.3V 115200 baud with the serial terminal from Arduino, and got the following:
- TXDICU: pin 4 from top (starting with 1); didn't check the voltage, but I'd expect it to run at 1.8V
- TXDFPU: pin 6 from top (prints <FPU terminal>)
- TXDMPU: pin 10 from top, or 3 from bottom (prints MON>>> and E1OFF)
- GND: didn't check; used the metal plate at the bottom; it might be pin 8 from top, from looking at the PCB.

Offtopic: my 5D3 was defective, so I was more or less forced to take it apart. It's now working again, but I have no idea what I did to fix it (other than disassembling and reassembling it a few times, and trying to run some diagnostic routines).

edit: discussion about this defect moved over here.

kitor

• Contributor
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2019, 01:00:42 PM »
For upcoming RP I expect the same.
Note that R (and RP on mentioned photo) has 2nd similar connector next to this one. No communication was visible, something tells me this may be JTAG. However not accessible without disassembling camera.

https://www.mirrorlessrumors.com/the-canon-eos-rp-disassembly-and-teardown/

After
A few more hide behind the button pad rubber which needs to peeled away, also like the EOS R.
Hole to UART connector is clearly visible. From board photos seems that only one of two connectors was left (lower one), unfortunately testpads positions suggests they may be hardly/not accessible through that hole, so proper FPC cable will be needed.
EOS R

jack001214

• New to the forum
  • EOS 200D
« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2019, 06:49:43 PM »
This UART connector is also available on the 200D(@kitor suggested)under the 'thumb resting rubber' which is very similar to the EOS R.

add me on minecraft