crop_rec on steroids: 3K, 4K, 1080p48, full-resolution LiveView

Started by a1ex, April 01, 2017, 11:15:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

12georgiadis

Thanks Alex for this great update.to all @100D users : can you record in 1728*972 continuous ?
@Danne : is this build can support h264 proxy in parallel ? Even if it's very small bitrate like 5mbit/s ?

IDA_ML

Quote from: 12georgiadis on October 07, 2017, 01:32:28 PM
can you record in 1728*972 continuous ?

Yes, you can - in the crop_rec mode at 24 fps and 8...11 bit lossless compression.  I am not sure if you can record continuous at 12-bit loss less too but I did about 1500 frames in that mode and stoped it.  For me, the most important thing is that you can record 10-bit MLV with sound for 15 s. in that resolution and in my opinion, this makes the 100D a real game changer.   

12georgiadis

Thanks for the infos IDA_ML. Of course it's incredible to have 10bits mlv with sound ! But if we have H264 proxy mode (for preview and offline edit) + continuous, making a short indie film with 100D becomes possible !

Danne

Proxy recording at the moment seems to crash the camera. It doesn´t seem to work with eosm as well. Havn´t had the time to really check more into it.

dfort

I've only been able to do proxy recording on the 5D3. It is wonderful and would be great to have it working on all cameras.

anto

with 12 bit lossless in 1080x1920 5D3 most the time need less then 40MB/sec. can the 100D, 700D, and Eos M, do 1080p continuous? at least in 2:35 or 8-11 bit lossless...

PS
I just saw this
EOSM, 700D, 100D:

1736x688 @ 50/60p with 3x3 pixel binning (actually column binning / line skipping)
Lossless compression: 1736x976 @ 24p continuous (this is the maximum 16:9 resolution with 3x3 sampling)

:-[

Danne

Checked in crop_rec but it´s not obvious to me why 100D has out of bounds black bar issue. Well I realise that height goes all the way up to 724(1648x724) and that this is not within the capabilities f the 100D(Seems it should be 1648x1660 instead). Eosm(1648x696) and 700D seems to have different limits set. I tried the raw_diag.mo and although it says that it saves a ppm file in a specific folder I can´t find it anywhere. Couldn´t get a screenshot either so here is a cell phone upload  :P. Blue line out of the buffer at the top? Seemes buffer portion to the left, outside blue not used?

a1ex

Wow, I wonder how it even works...

(with skip offsets so far away from the truth, I would expect either raw backend errors, or at least wrong black level)

Remember DeafEyeJedi's test with white level? You may have to do something similar for raw offsets: run raw_diag's OB zones test for each crop_rec camera (100D, 700D, EOSM, 5D3 for double-checking) in all supported video modes (Canon modes x crop_rec modes). Ideally also with crop_rec turned off, just in case.

Or imagine some automated test (maybe a Lua script) to do this job for you (ideally also validating the borders).

The screenshots should be in the directory mentioned at the bottom (on your card, of course). Tip: convert them to png if you plan to upload them.

Danne

Let me start by checking my 100D and eosm. Checked canon mode offsets(non crop_rec) and they seemed fine at first glance. Will go through them more thoroughly.
Sidenote. Only time I get a file in the mentioned folder is when selecting Dump RAW Buffer and i get a scrambled, corrupted DNG file. The Auto Screenshot ppm thingy seems broken.

Danne

100D test:
All modes without crop_rec seleted seems ok. The blue lines are fitting the buffer perfectly when selecting mv1920, mv720, mv480

Crop_rec on:
Only able to test mv720 mode with the result two posts up. in mv1080 I get raw_detect error since there is a big white bar at the bottom so not even working to test.

dfort

Quote from: anto on October 08, 2017, 04:35:38 PM
:-[

Why the sad face?

On the EOSM/700D (and probably 100D now) it is possible to record continuously in 1648x724 lossless with crop_rec. Do you really want 1920x1080 raw in these cameras? As far as I know it can't be done because of the hardware but you can get really, really close. I just tried this on the EOSM and it works:

1920x1072, 24FPS (override), 8-11 bit lossless -- continuous!

How? This is the zoom mode which goes all the way up to 2512x1072 on these cameras. Works the same as on the 5D3, press the magnifying glass button until you get into 5x then check the mlv_lite settings and you'll see the increased resolution.

a1ex

@Danne: just checked raw_diag on 5D3 (auto screenshot and dump raw buffer enabled): in movie mode it saved valid PPM and scrambled DNG (with valid header) on the CF card, exactly where it said. Fix in progress solved.

In photo mode, the DNG was clean.

If your screenshot saving issue persists in photo mode, I might be able to reproduce it in QEMU. A few cameras (those passing the FA_CaptureTestImage test) are able to the silent picture module in full-res mode, show the captured image, trigger the raw overlays and even save a regular (uncompressed) DNG on the virtual card. The code from raw_diag is even less demanding (emulation-wise).

Danne

Test on eosm(ppm works):

The issue seems to be with mv720. All other modes looks ok. (that is if mv1080p above is ok) 100D can´t work with mv1080p with crop_rec.

Danne

OB-zones ppm are being saved on the 100D when in photo mode. The DNG is still scrambled even when saved in photo mode.

dfort

Quote from: dfort on October 08, 2017, 08:57:03 PM
...I just tried this on the EOSM and it works:

1920x1072, 24FPS (override), 8-11 bit lossless -- continuous!

1920x1078 on the 700D--oh so close to full HD.

Danne reported that zoom mode on the 100D goes all the way up to 2520x1080 so on that camera it should be possible to do 1920x1080 continuous with 8-11 bit lossless 24fps. Of course it crops the sensor, no audio, yadda yadda but hey--seems like ML has reached the Holy Grail of 1920x1080 HD raw video on the 100D:D

We now return you to the ongoing discussion of OB zones.

Danne

a1ex

White level on this one should be 2461 (2462 is too much). Fix pushed.

(your file is 9-bit lossless)

Danne

9bit  :D thanks for claryfing. (guess white/black level says this)

vstrglv

Than you very much for the great build!
When  mlv_rec.mo is loaded, it's impossible to load mlv_play.mo - error.
Is it normal? 5D3.
Canon 5D3,1.1.3; Canon EOS M,202,  CF-SanDisk Extreme PRO,160MB/s, 256GB, SD-SanDisk Extreme Pro, 170MB/s, 128GB.

Lars Steenhoff

Would be nice if mlvrec worked with mlv play, but it does not yet. so yea it nothing wrong on your side. I also have the same.

Lars Steenhoff

by the way if you unload mlvrec and restart the cam with only mlvplay you can play files recorded in mlvrec. not so convenient but at least you can check the footage

a1ex

Workaround: also load the silent picture module.

Fix: move lossless.c to a library module (auto-loaded by the backend if other modules require it). Precondition: add support for library modules in ML.

Danne

Tested latest build. Over the top?:
Black Level                     : 2047
White Level                     : 2459

https://bitbucket.org/Dannephoto/magic-lantern/downloads/M08-2336_1_2017-10-08_0001_C0000_000000.dng

Another thing. When previewing the 9bit file in mlv_play you get the the lowered light with pinks while previewing on the 100D. The files are looking fine when checked on the computer. Previewing 9-12 bit were correctly looking in mlv_play in earlier builds before the static 14bit live view fix.

a1ex

A safety margin of 0.01 EV shouldn't hurt... I guess.

Didn't check mlv_play - you had correct highlights before this change and they turned pink after lowering the white level?