Canon 600D / T3i

Started by Avenger 2.0, June 16, 2015, 10:00:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Datensuppe

Since the official nightly build is still not being updated, I created a small cronjob that pulls the unified branch from the magic-lantern repository and builds a new version if there have been any changes.

It is available here: https://hege.cc/magic-lantern/

I use the gcc-arm-embedded toolchain from this repository and the build seems to work fine. I have not had any obvious problems with it on my 600D, but I have not done any thorough testing. So, as always:

USE AT YOUR OWN RISK

I will probably stop providing these builds once the official nightly builds are available again.

Avenger 2.0

irvcobb

Thanks a lot, Datensuppe. Seems to work as expected here.

Edit: as of January, 2016 these builds no longer work and may be risky to use. Suggest using the official build instead.

ccarvalho

Quote from: Datensuppe on September 07, 2015, 02:51:46 PM
Since the official nightly build is still not being updated, I created a small cronjob that pulls the unified branch from the magic-lantern repository and builds a new version if there have been any changes.

It is available here: https://hege.cc/magic-lantern/

I use the gcc-arm-embedded toolchain from this repository and the build seems to work fine. I have not had any obvious problems with it on my 600D, but I have not done any thorough testing. So, as always:

USE AT YOUR OWN RISK

I will probably stop providing these builds once the official nightly builds are available again.

Datensuppe, this weekend I'll give it a try.

Quote from: PG on August 27, 2015, 05:30:47 PM
ok so card uper than 32 gig won't work on 600d. Is it working on 60D? (A friend of myne have one, I could trade )
Hey, I bought one and had the same problem. I solved using the EOScard app http://pel.hu/eoscard , like Walter Schulz said

dsemedo

I everyone!

Newbie approaching so please don't kill me.

I am wondering if anyone was able to take photos under a lower than ISO. I've read you can make videos, but I can't find a reference on photos.

Thanks anyway,
D.

xmanoux

About my autofocus problem
Quote from: xmanoux on August 31, 2015, 09:53:09 PM
Only a short part of the distance between the current focus point and the stored focus point is triggered when I press "play"
I just have bought a new lense (Tokina 11-16 dx II ) and I notice exactly the same problem with this lens

Mix3d

Thanks Datensuppe! Will try out on mine. On whatever version I currently have, I've noticed a few small inconsistencies vs original firmware, particularly around the multi-stop shooting; in stock firmware it would automatically take all the specified stops, whereas with ML, I had to manually press the shutter 3 times; making it more likely to misalign the shot.

Yuriy_Mosiychuk

Why firmware for EOS 600D is not updated from April 19?

dmilligan

Because you haven't contributed any improvements.

irvcobb

Quote from: Yuriy_Mosiychuk on October 24, 2015, 06:15:55 PM
Why firmware for EOS 600D is not updated from April 19?
Apparently for a number of reasons, including that the current code doesn't always compile for the 600D, the programmer who was coordinating 600D builds has disappeared (?), and the main dev  for the  project is very busy.

russellsnr

Cannot understand why people keep stating "Why firmware for EOS 600D is not updated" or any other camera come to that. Here we have a free firmware, yes that is FREE!!! that does on most Canon cameras what before you could only dream about or wait years for Canon to play catch up, be happy and grateful for what we have been given and go out and take pictures!!!
Russ

aedipuss

personally i think part of the problem is that the download page says "nightly" builds.  some might take that literally.
canon 600d
canon 60d - Nightly.2016Apr17.60D111
canon 70d - 112

Walter Schulz

This is dark but you made my day!

axelcine

Nightly builds are for us budding teenage kids who play in the dark, totally aware of our own inadequaties and flaws - it's like holding your first love in the hand and dreaming of an adulthood so far away... we hold our breath while exploring what is actually possible to do... with the beautiful girl and the equally beautiful pictures and footage our cam is capable of, and we dream far beyond what is physically possible... HDR, Raw... her smile, her hair, backlit, do I open the flash... Ahh no, open the diaphragm a bit...

ML is what dreams are made of, not some consumer level kind of spaghetti bolognese...

ML expands what you can do with your camera. You really start exploiting ML when you have fully exploited the in-camera options. When you know your cam by heart.

People who buy a camera and install ML right away are in for a very tough lesson. For every available option the cam has, you can multiply with a factor 2 or 3 as soon as you open the ML menu. You are kids, and you're living your childhood with the best toy ever invented: the camera. Walk through the basics. Try a new lens or two. Experiment with portraying the sweetest girl in the world - the one from paragraf 1. A consumer cam has an option for HDR, but if you teach yourself AEB or even manual AE, the result is so much more rewarding. Her eyes, so dark and mysterious in a cascade of off-focus hair... That's what photo is about.

Learn the basics with the camera that has most appeal to you. If it's a Canon, count yourself lucky that in this world we have people like... Ahh no names, but you'all know who I mean. If you are a beginner in photo, learn your camera. If you know your camera inside-out, come and enjoy the tremendous work other outstandingly good photographers - and programmers - have done: ML.

And if you're a beginner, photo is like meeting the worlds most beautiful girl, catching her eye and exchange phone numbers... you hold your breath, for the world is spinning around you, and the NOW is bigger than life... With ML you're practically holding her hands and looking in her eyes and seeing a universe of a future..

Let us never forget why we became photographers in the first place.

What I wanted to say to irvcobb: If the ML/600d hasn't changed from April 9, maybe it's because it works. That's a testimony to the quality those dev deliver: No complaints in 5 months.
EOS RP, 5dIII.113/Batt.grip, 5dIII.123, 700d/Batt.Grip/VF4 viewfinder + a truckload of new and older Canon L, Sigma and Tamron glass

DeafEyeJedi

Perfectly well said, @axelcine and I've actually been keeping a close eye on you since you seem to not only have a great understanding and IQ for when it comes to ML stuff especially in terms of cinematography, photography as well an excellent sense of humor in yourself, Sir!

"Come to the Dark Side, Son!"

Thanks for a great morning read and you definitely got yourself a new Follower in me.
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

axelcine

@DeafEyeJedi - "It's like fine wine... The longer it takes the better it taste..." I think you wrote something like this in a discussion of workflows. And we met in a discussion of audio recording...

Come to the dark side. When witchcraft works and magic lanterns glow, something wonderful is going to happen...

If I were irvcobb I'd be out of my mind for that fine cam he has. One of the singular Canons with built-in movie crop...! Am I envious or not? With ML he's going to skyrocket. Oh, sorry irvcobb, I know you're there, just didn't see you; high five and good luck, and let's see what you come up with. And - oh, my ML/700d also has movie crop, thanks to our fine devs. The 600d gave them the idea.

Walter - sorry for being a little out of topic
EOS RP, 5dIII.113/Batt.grip, 5dIII.123, 700d/Batt.Grip/VF4 viewfinder + a truckload of new and older Canon L, Sigma and Tamron glass

irvcobb

Quote from: axelcine on October 28, 2015, 04:49:18 PM
What I wanted to say to irvcobb: If the ML/600d hasn't changed from April 9, maybe it's because it works. That's a testimony to the quality those dev deliver: No complaints in 5 months.

No complaints here. But newbies tend to see "nightly builds" as meaning either (a) "latest and greatest" at which point they feel they are missing something with an apparently older build or (b) "too scary to touch" which isn't the case with ML.

ML is amazing, and I get the thrill of creating something this cool. But not everyone is or wants to be a coder, and not everyone understands the way such things work.

I used to code, and in assembly. I understand the technical challenge, the thrill of problem solving, and even the beauty of a good hack. My interests are elsewhere now, and the occasional note here trying to clarify for a newbie is about all I have the time of skills for.

Yuriy may never contribute back to the code base. But he may use ML to take some very satisfying images, and he may contribute back to the community in other ways, seen or unseen. And maybe that's enough, at least I think it is.

axelcine

@irvcobb - Exactly why do you think that I see you as one of the guys taking the 600 to its very limits? You'll show us what it can do once you get your grips on ML.

@DeafEyeJedi - you're far too kind. You're all over the place, posting in several threads and providing people like me with tons of information. You're one of those paving the way, and following your tracks in the various threads makes us address and understand many important issues.

Trying to follow your lead has taught me a lot about my camera's basic functions, so that I have been better able to understand ML.

rob.c88

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone could help me. I have had the nightly (April 19) build installed on my camera for a few months now. I have mainly been using the ML to adjust white balance. The other day, I tried to use canon's custom white balance feature (the one where you take a picture and it uses that as a reference point) and nothing seemed to change.

I'm just wondering if ML is overriding canon's white balance, or if I've done something wrong.

Cheers, Rob

Walter Schulz

Reset cam to factory defaults, retry and report.

rob.c88

Thanks Walter, that did the trick!

Thanks again, Rob

nretnalcigam

Re: Canon 600D / T3i Bricking UP, never had an issue using ML (2011) on a T3i for several years, except it can run hot after shooting for hours in the sun at sporting events/outdoors. I use a custom golf umbrella to keep the suns heat off my camera body when feasible, or opt for the best location with some shade. Sometimes the red light may stay on and won't go off. Remove the battery, and reinsert it. This setup is better than most why? because you can get away with getting this equipment into places that a traditional video camera would raise a big red flag... Wanting money for permits, scarring security, etc. Just use a better external video source if that part of your video matters. I purposely bought the T3i to run ML on it. I used every sort of video format old skool since U-Matic. I will continue using ML, it just works. If you need a newer port then get another Canon. T3i's are a bargain and can be picked up for $250. Way cheaper than most high end Panasonic's, etc. OK 4k video is coming, make sure you s-can (chit_ ) all of your existing Computers because the horsepower and HD requirements are enormous. I'll keep the change as technology advances. Who knows maybe next year ML will be obsolete, because Canon or Nikon has come to the table and seen the light, or some crowd-funded startup has blown all of them to the wall! Just my Opinion. I'm constantly being admired by my peers when they see what I do with my T3I. The photographer makes the image the tools are really all the same.

TompDog

I have been using movie restart from time to time when i have multiple cams recording and can't be at them at all times...and in general it works, HOWEVER it doesn't consistently record all the way to the 4gb limit, which is ~12 minutes,  before restarting.  In other words, it will record 4/5/6 minutes or so then stops, and starts again.

The newer nightly build seem to be better at getting longer record times, but it still isn't perfect by any means.  It appears to be a stability issue of some kind, so i'm wondering if there might be some other setting that i need to turn off or adjust that might make it more stable... ie --> bitrate or something like that.

Thanks,

Tompdog

Walter Schulz

Please clarify: You are recording native Canon H.264 without ML tweaks (CBR tuned up or else) and cam stops before 4 GB limit is reached?

TompDog

Yeah, thats right Walter...no ML tweaks at all aside from base ML & "movie restart" selected.   In fact, I reformatted one card and left magic lantern on the card, and another card i reformatted and wiped it all the way down, then reinstalled from scratch by updating the firmware in the camera....in both situations its more or less the same... they will not consistently record to the 4gb limit before restarting.  (it does however restart without fail each time it stops recording...most times bf it reaches 4gb limit, occasionally when it does...)

And like i said... i also tried the most recent nightly build, and its a little better on avg, but not close to perfect.

One of the memory cards is a really nice one...way faster than the sd card bottleneck restriction, so its not that....

anyway....anyone else have this experience in any capacity???