Feature matrix

• List of Magic Lantern features that work on the 600D/T3i
  • Link heaven

Frequently Asked Questions

• Common questions regarding the Magic Lantern project
  • If you have a question, check here first

User Manual

• Needs work
  • In camera, in the Magic Lantern menus, all options have a short one or two line help text at the bottom of the display

General help

Original post
[size=14pt][u]Magic Lantern Installation & Updating Guide[/u][/size]
[u][size=12pt]for Canon EOS 600D/Rebel T3i[/size][/u]

This guide will help you install and update your Canon EOS 600D/Rebel T3i to the lastest Magic Lantern Nightly builds.
[size=8pt][color=red]Warning! Magic Lantern is not approved nor endorsed by Canon in any way, and using it will probably void your warranty. We are not responsible for any damages to your camera.[/color][/size]

[u][size=10pt]Before you start:[/size][/u]
- Make sure your battery is fully charged.
- Remove unnecessary accessories (battery grip/flash/etc).
- Have a sd card reader or laptop with integrated sd card reader.
- Use a sd card of 32GB or smaller for first install.
- Understand that you may lose your warranty and brick your camera.

[u][size=10pt]Updating Canon firmware:[/size][/u]
- Make sure you are running Canon firmware v1.0.2 before you install ML, if you are you may skip this step.
- If not, download it [url=http://pel.hu/down/eos600d-v102.zip]here[/url].
- Follow included instructions and update your camera.

[u][size=10pt]Magic Lantern Install:[/size][/u]
- Download the last nightly version [url=https://builds.magiclantern.fm/#/]here[/url]
- Format your SD card in camera first, then put it in your SD card reader connected to your PC.
- Unzip 'ML' directory, 'autoexec.bin' and 'ml-setup.fir' from the downloaded ZIP file onto your sd card.
- Put your sd card in your camera, switch camera to M-mode and power it up.
- Launch firmware update and install ML.
- After the green confirmation screen, turn off your camera.
- Power your camera back up and enjoy Magic Lantern!

[u][size=10pt]Updating Magic Lantern with new build in the future (on camera and sd card with ML installed):[/size][/u]
- When new nightly is available (see [url=https://builds.magiclantern.fm/#/]here[/url] for last build), download it onto your PC.
- Put your sd card (running the old build) into your PC and delete (NO format!) the 'ML' directory and 'autoexec.bin' file.
- Extract the content of the zip from the new build onto your sd card.
- Repeat this process for all sd card with old ML builds you want to update.

[u][size=10pt]Uninstalling Magic Lantern from SD card:[/size][/u]
- You cannot simply delete the files from the sd card to uninstall ML from it (as the boot flag will remain set).
- Format the SD card in the camera (select this option: Format card, remove Magic Lantern).

[u][size=10pt]Uninstalling Magic Lantern from camera:[/size][/u]
- You cannot simply reinstall the canon firmware to remove ML.
- With a ML sd card, launch the Firmware Update process and follow the instructions on-screen to uninstall ML.

[u][size=10pt]Boot without loading Magic Lantern:[/size][/u]
- If you want to boot your camera without ML, all you have to do is hold down the "SET" button while switching your camera "ON".

[u][size=10pt]Updated user Guide for ML nightly builds:[/size][/u]
- [url=http://magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=11269]User Guide[/url]

[img width=300]http://a1ex.magiclantern.fm/bleeding-edge/new-installer.png[/img]

Edit: Modified install procedure for new nightly and installer.

rainless

I'd also like to maintain this thread. I've been around the forum for almost 3 years now and my 600D is still ticking and still running Magic Lantern. So let's DO THIS THANG!
The Gear - Canon 5D Mark II, Yongnuo 565EX flash, PhotoSel 3mx3m backdrop stand with 3mx3m muslin backdrops. Elinchrom D-Lite 4 it studio lights, some big-ass 110cm reflector. Unlimited German Models

Avenger 2.0

Quote from: rainless on June 16, 2015, 02:30:52 PM
I'd also like to maintain this thread. I've been around the forum for almost 3 years now and my 600D is still ticking and still running Magic Lantern. So let's DO THIS THANG!
Thanks  :) Same here, using ML almost 3 years now, but only recently moved to the nightly builds. And glad I did, because the new builds are just so more stable and feature-rich.
Let's kick this camera support back to life and get the new nightly builds we all love  8)

rainless

Going to do some work with my build from last year and the new one I just downloaded from a month or two ago.
The Gear - Canon 5D Mark II, Yongnuo 565EX flash, PhotoSel 3mx3m backdrop stand with 3mx3m muslin backdrops. Elinchrom D-Lite 4 it studio lights, some big-ass 110cm reflector. Unlimited German Models

Audionut

Looks like 600D has the updated installer.  I've added some details to the OP and will leave for Avenger to make look pretty.

Walter Schulz

Quote from: Audionut on June 21, 2015, 12:59:46 AMLooks like 600D has the updated installer.

I don't think so. Latest nightly was built April, 19th and project is disabled. No FIR in zip.

Audionut

Well it got a new installer.  Not sure what's needed to get the builds kicking again.

edit:  Perhaps this thread and some interest is enough.  I don't recall the builds being disabled because of broken features.

Walter Schulz

Users may ask: Where is this new installer?  If they are following your updated information installation will fail.

Audionut

escho

I´m interested in the question, too: Why doesn´t exist an actual nightly build for the 600D?

In the download-section of ML-homeepage I can read:

"What are nightly builds?
- Nightly builds are binaries compiled from the latest source code, automatically, whenever there are any changes to the main branch (unified)."

At least since the new ML-Setup.fir-files, there are such changes, but no new nightly.

Walter, you wrote, the project ist disabled. Where did you read that? In my eyes, the 600D should be supported (with or without maintainer-thread).

I don´t need these nightlies, because I compile ML myself. I did so today with success, all went fine. But I would be interested in an answer.

Edgar
https://sternenkarten.com/
600D, 6D, openSUSE Tumbleweed

a1ex

Compiling with default settings does not boot on 600D, that's why it's disabled.

https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/issue/2268/nightly-2804

escho

Thanks Alex for the quick answer.

ML boots on my 600D with the sourcecode from today. I´m not sure, what you mean with "default settings". OK, I only compile few modules, I need (mlv_rec, mlv_play at the moment). And my makefile.user looks like that:

ARM_PATH=/home/edgar/Software/MagicLantern/gcc-arm-none-eabi-4_9-2015q1
GCC_VERSION=-4.9.3

HOST_CFLAGS         = -g -O3 -m32 -W -Wall -fms-extensions -std=c99
HOST_LFLAGS         = -m32
CONFIG_SITE         = n
CONFIG_PICOC        = n
CONFIG_TCC          = y
CONFIG_MEMCHECK     = y
CONFIG_MODULES      = y

This is all, I do. And this works for me.

Edgar
https://sternenkarten.com/
600D, 6D, openSUSE Tumbleweed

a1ex

Maybe it's time to upgrade the compiler on the build server (since your version produces a slightly smaller binary, small enough to boot).

gbk

So, there is no hope for new builds for 600d?

Walter Schulz

How do you came to this conclusion? Posts above indicate a solution.

LU72

600D user here running ML with April 19 nightly. Solid - zero crashes. Not interested in installing another version unless there's a critical upgrade to ML functionality.

Installing to additional SD cards for me worked well this way:

1. Remove working ML card from camera, mount on laptop, copy all contents from it to a folder on my laptop (named "ML April 19 Nightly").
2. New card - format in Camera, then mount card on laptop (no format)
3. Copy contents from "ML April 19 Nightly" folder to SD card.
4. Remove card from laptop, load it on camera. Run "update firmware" on Camera.

I've installed ML on 3 other 32gb cards and they all run smoooooth.
600D (T3i), Vivitar Battery Grip, Sigma 17-70C, Canon 10-18 EF-S, Canon 1.8 50mm STM II, Sigma 70-300 APO, Speedlite 430 exII

Walter Schulz

?
600D nightly builds doesn't contain FIR.
Invalid/incomplete/irreproducible installation description!

LU72

"600D nightly builds doesn't contain FIR." True, but a working ML card running the nightly does.
600D (T3i), Vivitar Battery Grip, Sigma 17-70C, Canon 10-18 EF-S, Canon 1.8 50mm STM II, Sigma 70-300 APO, Speedlite 430 exII

Walter Schulz

So you are describing something not reproducable by others and therefore misleading which is worse than useless.

LU72

I don't know who has hurt you, Walter, but you could use a bit of a lesson in civility. You're constantly abrasive like a disgruntled employee at a video store. Last I checked, ML employs NO ONE, so you can keep your shitty tone. You may think that because you answer to just about every post here that you're entitled to write the things you do, but no - you're not. Being helpful doesn't entitle you to be a condescending a-hole, no matter what you may think.

I'll create a video showing how I've done it and will post it (it's going to take some time because I've got a ton of things on my plate). I don't know who else has tried this and failed, but to everyone else BUT Walter, my apologies if I've mislead you, I promise you this works for new cards and I'll eventually prove it.

Frank7D

LU72, the fact that Walter is not "employed" or paid here makes it all the more remarkable that he is so helpful. Without him (or someone like him) there would be a lot more people wandering around this site searching fruitlessly for information.

LU72

Frank7D, Walter isn't the only helpful person here. I've learned quite a bit from reading other users' posts and they're helpful and cordial. Walter tends to be short and inarticulate; personally I can't say that Walter's posts have been the most helpful for my needs.

I'm not sure if your response here is to defend him and give him a "pass" for his tone on these forums, but I guess you're entitled to your opinion as I am to mine. In the meantime, I'll just shut up and try to find time to create a video showing how I'm able to copy the contents of a working card to another as I described above. I was only looking to contribute to the T3i/600D thread and not have to be told I'm "worse than useless" because Walter doesn't think my method works (did he say that he tried it and it didn't work? I can't tell due to his inarticulateness).

Frank7D

Quote...not have to be told I'm "worse than useless"...

If you look again, he was talking about the installation steps you recommended, not you as a person. Instead of feeling insulted, you could just prove him wrong (or could you?).

Datadogie

LU72 I see no reason why this would not work. I assume you always kept the first fir you downloaded when you first installed  ML. Walter I think jumped the gun and thought you only put on the nightly download. The one without the fir.
When I do it I make my card bootable with EOScard then copy the new nightly. No need for the fir as long as you have used it once in the camera. Which way is best is the one that works for you.
T3i and Kiss X4 (550d (T2i)) Tamron 18-200mm, Sigma 28-70mm f2.8 (need firmware upgrade) Olympus 50mm f1.8  Olympus 28mm f2.8 and Olympus 24mm f2.8
Fancier 370 tripod and LCD hinged loupe. DIY Slider and crane.

yohan329

Hello,

Full on newby here,  I have a T3i, and will be using it to shoot video for company purposes.  Until we purchase our primary video camera, this will be what I am shooting all video with.  I came across a youtube video that recommeded ML for the audio metering, and other features.  I have a couple of questions before I do this.  I realize there is risk in everything, but what would be the best process to install this?  What are the real world chances of me Bricking the camera during this process?  Are there any known issues with the T3i and this software?