Canon 600D / T3i

Started by Avenger 2.0, June 16, 2015, 10:00:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walter Schulz

Don't have a 600D to test it but I never heard of such an issue before. Blunt H.264 without ALL-I will result in a data rate below 6 MByte/s which is just far away from cam interface bottleneck (about 21 MByte/s). And I don't use cards not meeting Class 10 requirements.
@a1ex: Are there any 600D specific issues with recordings stopping before 4GB?

a1ex

There were similar issues reported for 550D and 60D, but I could not reproduce any of them, even on my slowest card (class 2).

Some things worth trying: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=2651.0

Walter Schulz

Thanks for answering, a1ex!
But link is not working for me.
The topic or board you are looking for appears to be either missing or off limits to you.

axelcine

@ Walter - search [CAN'T REPRODUCE] Video stops first time (550D) - and a good weekend to you.
EOS RP, 5dIII.113/Batt.grip, 5dIII.123, 700d/Batt.Grip/VF4 viewfinder + a truckload of new and older Canon L, Sigma and Tamron glass

TompDog

Thanks a1ex & Walter for the input!!!

OK...i'm posting a 5 minute video to youtube right now, i'll have it up in 15 minutes or so... i video'd my T3i starting and restarting so ya'll can see it if you care to.  I happened to catch a particularly bad stretch where the longest recording was like 1.5 minutes...most 30 seconds or less.  Throughout the video i stopped and you can see me turning off options listed in the thread a1ex linked to...still no benefit.  I also pull out the memory card at the end to show its a class 10 card.

My wife came home during the video...so please ignore the banter....and my Yorkie making an appearance at the beginning...lol

TompDog

https://youtu.be/hp2I_Y4SaoE

i'm noticing now that right before it restarts every time some type of meter flashes up on the right of the screen...odd, not sure what that meter is measuring???

thanks

DrewBie

Hello I'm stuck on installing the new Magic Lantern on my T3i. I had Magic Lantern before and the instruction are quite confusing and intimidating I don't want to brick my camera so I came here to ask questions before I mess up. Please help

Walter Schulz

Run EOScard/Macboot and make card bootable
Wipe card's files and directories (if any) but don't format.
Copy extracted nightly build content to card.
Done.

janjan

hi
are there any updates planned for the 600D?
I saw that for other models the nightly builds are all recent and for the the T3i they are quite old.

any idea if new updates are planned?

dmilligan

There are never any plans.

dfort

Actually, several of the nightly builds are quite old. There probably weren't any commits that affected the 600D/T3i. However, if you want to try some newer stuff you can download the source and compile it yourself. It isn't that hard.

Topic: Getting a development machine up and running and developing.

janjan

Thank you all.
If there are no new stuff then i shall stick with the current version.

Do you believe that is there will be new stuff it will be available for the T3i as well?

sfmike99

My T3i is stuck on firmware 1.0.1 and can't get the camera to update. Camera is stock and has never had firmware updated.

I've downloaded the CCF11102.FIR file and instructions from Canon web site, formatted (low level) the SDHC card cleanly, and copied firmware file to root directory. Always get "Update file cannot be found" error on camera. Have tried with both 32GB and 8GB cards with no luck. I've tried copying the file, and extracting the zip to the card with no change.

File size is shown in explorer as 11.6 MB (12,232,284 bytes)

Any suggestions?

Edit: I also tried to update by downloading the latest EOS Utility program, but the Windows 7 x64 machine I'm using (on vacation) doesn't recognize the camera (nor does the Utility). I don't have the original USB cable with me, but used two different ones. Frustrating...

Walter Schulz

Retry: Format card in cam, insert into cardreader, copy FIR file to card, insert into cam. Use photo M mode (no Liveview!). If it fails: Reset cam settings to factory defaults (includiing C.Fn settings) and retry.

Do *not* use EOS Utility 3.x! You may use EOS Utility 2.x included in "EOS Digital Solution Disk" v29.0A/29.1A.

bunker2

Hello! Dear forum, help, I need the technical service manual. I want to make the outlets to handle contacts booster, but I do not have a technical dokumentytsii and power circuits. If you have, help your fellow man.

dmilligan

There is no such thing, Canon would never consider making such a document public. We figure out everything we know about the camera from reverse engineering.

In the extremely off chance that anyone is in possession of such a document, please DO NOT SHARE IT HERE. Doing so would put this project in legal jeopardy. The laws that make it legal for us to do what we do, depend on this being a "clean room" reverse engineering effort (in other words we don't steal or share Canon's IP, we simply figure out how it works from reversing). See: http://wiki.magiclantern.fm/faq#is_it_legal

sfmike99

Thanks for the reset suggestion Walter. Unfortunately no change - camera still can't find the update file.

I've copied it to the root of the CF card, alongside DCIM and MISC folders. I downloaded the file from both Australia and USA Canon sites to be sure I had the right file - identical size.

Any ideas?

domasa

Quote from: irvcobb on December 15, 2015, 04:09:10 AM
There are newer builds here:
https://hege.cc/magic-lantern/
No new features, but possibly some bug fixes.

New important change:
e5cc80d | Gr3g01
Fullres silent pics: max exposure for 500D/550D/600D is 15 seconds :)

Walter Schulz

Quote from: sfmike99 on December 24, 2015, 11:34:30 PM
Any ideas?

Try changing filename to all uppercase/lowercase.
If it doesn't work check MD5 for this file.
MD5: 195DEFC3EEF7CFF7FA2317F7D8EE19AA

Walter Schulz

600D has a memory management problem for some time. Seems to be solvabable by using another (more recent) compiler. But: As long there is no maintainer to take over long time support cam will be stuck in limbo. Use old build with all limitiations instead.

dmilligan

I doubt a different compiler could save ~8KB, and as soon as anything else is added, you go over again, but it's easy to just disable features.

Avenger 2.0

Has the 600D less memory then the 550D? Or just less free memory because of heavier canon firmware?

dmilligan

600D has limited memory to load the autoexec.bin binary into memory during boot. This is just a result of how the Canon bootloader works, and how ML starts up, not a result of total memory available (Why? It's very common for bootloaders in general to have very little resources available, in fact this is the very reason it is called bootstrapping; this article is about x86 not ARM, but the same principles apply: http://wiki.osdev.org/Boot_Sequence).

For us, there are only 512KB (0x80000) of memory available for autoexec.bin during bootstrapping for whatever reason (this is true for 600D and 1100D, other cameras have more, so they work fine if autoexec is bigger than 512KB). Later on we have vastly more memory available (several hundred MB usually, depending on what Canon firmware is doing and how much it needs), this is why we can still load lots of modules, they aren't loaded until later on when a lot more memory is available*.

Going over 512KB is very bad. This is my understanding of why: it basically means that an arbitrary chunk of ML's code is basically going to be missing, and there may be, for example, functions that point into uninitialized/invalid memory locations. Due to the lack of memory protection on the ARM CPU, this means that arbitrary code can execute, which is VERY BAD! What's worse is that if it's only a small chunk missing, then most things may appear to be working until all of a sudden, randomly later on, you try to execute something in the missing chunk and you get a hard crash.

Always check the MemSiz header in the build output:

Program Headers:
  Type           Offset   VirtAddr   PhysAddr   FileSiz MemSiz  Flg Align
  EXIDX          0x073918 0x00cf3918 0x00cf3918 0x00008 0x00008 R   0x4
  LOAD           0x000100 0x00c80100 0x00c80100 0x73820 0x7ff0c RWE 0x100

It must be less than 0x80000 for 600D and 1100D. Above is the last valid 600D build, notice it's right on the edge. The current ML source results in something about 8KB over the limit.

So, whoever is doing this: hege.cc/magic-lantern/ should probably disable it until this issue is resolved, or they should disable ML features to get the size below 512KB. Because arbitrary code can execute, there is a possibility of bricking. This is no joke.

*This should give you some clue as to a possible solution: move stuff to modules. There are two main issues moving things to modules. 1) A lot of the ML core is tightly coupled (things depend on each other), so it's hard to move things out without refactoring out the tight coupling (it is possible to remove a lot of dependencies, just time consuming). 2) There are a ton of macros that specify unique camera specific code all over the place in the core. This is not allowed in modules, modules are supposed to be camera agnostic or at least they contain all the code for all cameras if there's a difference, (e.g. dual_iso), so the same module can be used on all cameras. Again, there is refactoring that can be done to alleviate some of this, but it is considerable work. I've been trying to work on this some b/c one of my cameras, 1100D, is also plagued by this issue.

Another possible solution (and a much better one actually) is an 'ML bootloader'. Basically the part of ML that goes in autoexec.bin is just a minimal core that knows how load some camera specific binary from a specific location. This too is a lot of work. It has the advantage of allowing one single download for all supported cameras, and the ability to use the same ML SD/CF card on different cameras.

irvcobb

Thanks, dmilligan, for what I find to be a great explanation of the situation.

hege.cc/magic-lantern/ was set up by user Datensuppe. He hasn't been active here since last September,. The code that appears on the site is from a cron job he set up. (see this post: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=15360.msg153980#msg153980)

I have pointed people a few times to these builds. Will go back and edit my posts if possible with a warning not to use them.

Avenger 2.0

Thanks, very good explanation.