Canon 6D

Started by Maqs, May 01, 2015, 09:56:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

arkasa

Hey guys,

I've been playing around with these modules for quite a while and "normal" RAW recording works nicely. However, these 5x zoom modes and 1x3 rec modes are confusing. I've tried to combine multiple settings, but never seem to get it right. Would it be possible to give a kind of baby steps setup explanation? Perhaps a short recording of which menus to check?

baladev

@arkasa

Just read the thread starting from around the middle of 2018 until now (maybe even twice - i didn't get some things from the first read), almost everything you need to know is there.

Levas

I forget how obvious some things are if you're using ML for years.

But I wonder if you know what is possible with 5x zoom without crop_rec module.
So normal raw recording goes fine. As you probably know, you can't select higher resolution then 1824 pixels wide in raw video menu.
Now press magnify button until you are in 5x zoom. (without any crop_rec setting enabled).
Now, while you are in 5x zoom go to raw video menu and see what is now the max selectable resolution...wowaa suddenly 2688 x 958 resolution is possible.
With magic lantern it's possible to hit record button while you are in 5x zoom.

Now the crop recording module, this module makes it possible to stretch these resolutions even more. For example 2880x1200 preset makes it possible to select 2880x1200 resolution, but it's made for use in 5x zoom mode, and only works when you are in 5x zoom mode.
Also frames per second is fixed with crop_rec module, you can't use it with fps override option in magic lantern.

For the 1x3 presets, it's nessecarry to change aspect ratio to 1:2 otherwise you can't select max vertical resolution. 

Let me know if this info works for you, good luck 8)

cobra98

Is there a reason why my camera creates
_MG_2846.JPG
and
IMG_2767.JPG

Is there a way to stop saving seperate files?
It always happens since 2018 ...
Didn`t find any hints yet

cobra98

by the way is
2018-07-02  the latest version available? No further planned or maybe other branch with new name?

baladev

Quote from: cobra98 on July 11, 2019, 11:39:16 PM
by the way is
2018-07-02  the latest version available? No further planned or maybe other branch with new name?

Download the latest build from here:
https://bitbucket.org/Levas_EOS/magic-lantern/downloads/

May 19 works well, though I experienced some glitches in crop mode with it.

Darkside

Hi guys, new Here!

Firstly I wanted to say a huge thank you to those who have worked hard to bring us all the amazing stuff in Magic Lantern. It was a few years ago I first had a play with ML on my 6D, back then I chose to abandon it after finding it very time consuming and confusing working with the files as well as the very limited record times available on the 6D. I have only just now decided take another look at Magic Lantern and I'm so glad I did, some of the recent advancements that have been made with compressed DNG coupled with better apps for workflow have made it soo much more usable. And after doing some testing in 12bit RAW, running MLVHS into DaVinci Resolve I'm pretty stoked with the results.

I do have a couple of questions I'm hoping someone can help clear up for me, would be greatly appreciated as I'm still reasonably new to ML.

1. What is the aim of the crop_rec mode? I'm assuming this uses a smaller region of the sensor? Was it created to help avoid aliasing? Just trying to understand what the use of this mode is compared to the normal mode.

2. Is it possible to get decent slow motion with the 6D (without too much aliasing)?, if so which mode/resolution should I be using?

3. How do I get the SD UHS hack on the 6D?

4. Which is the latest and greatest crop_rec module for the 6D? Currently running the latest 6D crop-rec build from the experimental builds page.

Thanks in advance! 

Levas

The latest super experimental build for 6d is in the post above your post.
This build also has SD-UHS hack module in it.
I believe this build has the SD-UHS module, when activated in module tab, it automatically loads at each camera startup, so you won't even notice it's there. (You can check in ML menu on the debug tab there is a menu item in there that shows overriden memory or something, if you look there you will also see override stuff from SD-UHS hack)
SD-UHS doesn't work with all memory cards, it sets the SD card writer in camera to a specific high write speeds SD UHS I specification setting.
It does work perfect with Sandisk extreme pro UHS-I U3 cards, the types which mention 95MB/s or 170MB/s on the card.
If your card doesn't support the settings used in SD_UHS hack, the camera writes as the same speed as before, or sometimes even much slower.

Trying to answer some of your questions:
1. What is the aim of the crop_rec mode? I'm assuming this uses a smaller region of the sensor? Was it created to help avoid aliasing? Just trying to understand what the use of this mode is compared to the normal mode.
I don't think there was a goal or aim from the beginning, crop mode just happens to be a mode already available, and people discovered cool usages for it.
Crop mode is something that is standard available in Canon cameras, Canon uses it for 5x zoom live view.
Most Canon camera's can't record video while in 5x zoom/crop mode, the 600d and 60d however had some sort of option to record video while in zoom mode.
So somebody from the ML developers soon found out you can also record video in this mode on all other camera's ( Where canon didn't give you that option standard)
This option actually records at 1:1 pixel readout, so it actually gives you a 3x zoom (because it only uses 1/3 portion of your sensor, instead of the whole width)
Later on, ML developers found out that you could increase resolution while in this crop mode.
This gave birth to the high resolution crop modes Alex introduced on April 1 few years ago.
Because crop mode is in 1:1 pixel readout, it has almost no aliasing compared to normal full sensor view mode.

2. Is it possible to get decent slow motion with the 6D (without too much aliasing)?, if so which mode/resolution should I be using?
The build in the post above has a 50fps crop mode, which has the same amount of aliasing as normal non slowmotion video on 6d.
The 50 fps mode has to be used with the camera in 720p50 mode, in normal 1080 mode the camera freezes in 50fps mode and you need to pull out the battery to fix it again  :P
Also vertical resolution is limited to about 800 pixels.

3. How do I get the SD UHS hack on the 6D?
Download the ML build from the post above

4. Which is the latest and greatest crop_rec module for the 6D? Currently running the latest 6D crop-rec build from the experimental builds page.
The one in the build in the post above.

P.S.
The build 2 posts above is a merge with Danne's build, mostly aimed at eos-m.
There is a submenu in crop_rec (press Q button while on crop menu).
There are many options there, which aren't integrated with 6d, so most options do nothing, the most useful option does work, that is lower bitrate option, so you can use 12-bit or 10-bit option in crop_rec submenu.

Danne

Latest sd_uhs code should be used from my branch. There's some reconfiguration code put back which handles patching better on supported cams.

Levas

Didn't know that, will check it out and make sure that I put up a compiled build from this updated sd_uhs module.
Although I must say that I never experienced any issues with the sd_uhs module which is in the build a few posts up, the build from May.

Levas

Did some testing with latest sd_uhs code from Danne, but it doesn't work for 6d.
I get some nasty errors and wasn't able to record a single clip.
If started up in photo mode, camera card reader led turns red and never turned off, until battery pull  :P
And in video mode, I get an error message on screen that it couldn't find the ML directory with masks (which was on the SD card) and when trying to start record it says, card full.
So thinking about it, I think it couldn't write or read to the sd card, once sd-uhs module was loaded  ???
Once the module was disabled, everything was normal again.

So for now, best option for 6d is still the sd-uhs module available in the build mentioned a few post above.

Sapporo

Quote from: cobra98 on July 11, 2019, 11:37:26 PM
Is there a reason why my camera creates
_MG_2846.JPG
and
IMG_2767.JPG
sRGB and AdobeRGB.

cobra98

I have an error with this version when i switch to C1 and activate HDR Mode in camera.
Anyone else?
Which might be a working build / stable?

cobra98

Also i had on my canon 600D the possibilty that it calculates the perfect settings with "SET" key, on canon 6D i can only save with this feature 2 setttings i define

Walter Schulz

I think we have a problem understanding and reproducing your issue.
Can you please explain in detail the expected/wanted behauviour/feature set and what is actually happening?

David_Hugh

Hey there! I did a few tests with the new presets, but I get a "compression error" every time I try to record a clip in any other than the 50p mode (that one works just fine, oddly enough) I'll attach the error messages I get. Is this a known user error (i.e. Am I doing anything wrong?).ML ASSERT:
at mlv_lite.c:2753 (compress_task), task compress_task
lv:1 mode:0

compress_task stack: 1e3338 [1e33c8-1e23c8]
0x0044C9B0 @ c23bfc:1e3368
0x0044C478 @ 44ca0c:1e3338

Magic Lantern version : Nightly.2019May19.6D116
Mercurial changeset   : 6c6f37e9adfc+ (crop_rec_4k_mlv_snd_isogain_1x3_presets) tip
Built on 2019-05-19 13:23:44 UTC by magic_lantern@Vasses-iMac.
Free Memory  : 378K + 2241K

Levas

Not sure, but first thing that comes to mind is:
Did you select something else then 14 bit lossless in raw video menu ?

There is now lossless options in crop mode sub menu. I believe it's set on 12 bit lossless by default, not sure.
But if you use the lossless option in crop mode sub menu, you have to use 14 bit lossless option in raw video menu.

David_Hugh

No, sadly this doesn't change anything - no matter which bitdepth, PAL or NTSC mode in canon menu, 24 or 25p in Canon menu, or other settings I select seem to make a difference - I always get an onscreen "data corruption" message and the LOG file posted above! Let me know if you have an idea how to test for specific things if you have any ideas. Am I really the only 6D user this happens to (because to me that always suggests that a user error is still the most likely scenario here^^)

Levas

So you are using the 19th May build from this downloadpage and nothing else:
https://bitbucket.org/Levas_EOS/magic-lantern/downloads/

Are you also using that build as it is, you didn't replace crop_rec module with another one ?

Before the merge with Danne's build, you could download only a single crop_rec file and use them in the nightly builds.
But since the merge with Danne's build, you have to download the complete Magic Lantern build and use the modules that come with that.
The crop_rec module at the bottom of the same download page can not be used in the Magic Lantern build from 19th of May.
This is because the 19th May build is slightly different to give extra options, like lower lossless bit depth recording through crop_rec submenu.

dazer

Hello everyone!

I tried to use crop_rec mode on 6D, but got strange glitch at the bottom of LV:

This lane stays on recorded video.

This happens for all options in Crop mode dropdown. Is it expected behaviour or I missed some important settings for recording cropped video?

Also sometimes when I change crop mode (mostly to 1x3) I get this:

I'm using this version of ML: https://bitbucket.org/Levas_EOS/magic-lantern/downloads/magiclantern-Nightly.2019May19.6D116.zip

yoback

Hey all!

I think its finally this time, when I'm really thinking about installing ML on my 6D. Im mad, because stock firmware just sets a bitrate using some sort of script, and it is made for saving space. But i would want to have recording in Full HD 1080P with +/- 100mbps bitrate all the time. Is this possible in ML to record Full HD and set bitrate to specific amount?

I've also heard that there is a SD UHS mod that allows us to set writing speed to higher amount. Im using a Sandisk U3 card(mentioned above). I would be amazed, when i would have a possibility to record RAW video in Full HD at least for 15s. (in most my scenes its maximum time). Is it possible using a latest ML with a SD UHS hack?  Or maybe you know the maximum bitrate, which I could use when recording in full hd 1080p with SD hack? Thanks for all inputs. Guys you're amazing.

Walter Schulz

US hasn't been updated but UK offers it now:
https://www.canon.co.uk/support/consumer_products/products/cameras/digital_slr/eos_6d.html?type=firmware
Because it fixes PTP and firmware update vulnerabilities I predict you will be unable to downgrade back to 1.1.6 without Canon Service.
70D got an update, too: https://www.canon.co.uk/support/consumer_products/products/cameras/digital_slr/eos_70d.html?type=firmware

Levas

@Dazer

Normal behaviour, most crop_rec presets are made for use in 5x zoom mode. (I think it says in the description in crop_rec menu, when selecting one of the presets)
Try again, and hit the magnify button on your 6d, until you are in 5x zoom (probably have to hit the button twice, first time is 1x zoom, then comes 5x zoom, after that comes 10x zoom)

It looks a bit buggy, but once you know how to use it (in 5x zoom) you will get used to it  :D

dazer

@Levas

yeah, i've tried 5x zoom mode, but it just shows standard Canon zoom UI. After i press record button it returns to the screen on the first screenshot. Also in this 5x mode when i half press shutter button, camera doesn't zoom out to allow properly focus (i saw this stuff in couple youtube videos about crop_reс module)
Tried to record video in 2480x1396 mode and got video having 1920x1080 resolution with that glitched lane.

Does it work without RAW video recording? I kinda got it working with RAW but with much smaller resolution.