Author Topic: Canon 70D  (Read 1657257 times)

Ingerson

• New to the forum
Re: Canon 70D
« Reply #3400 on: July 21, 2019, 04:13:36 PM »
af is really good. i also bought one because of this feature. there are some ML features missing in this camera. i dont kno if those missing features are important to you or not  and i get some terrible moire and aliasing. i am not sure if its because of the lens i use which is tamron 17-50mm f2.8 non VC

What features is that? I don't really care about slowmotion, sometimes I do 30 to 25 fps for a subtle effects, but that's it. And I don't go for crop modes or higher resolution. Besides AF and swivel screen all I want is continuous recording for a few minutes since I like longer takes.

mvrck

• New to the forum
« Reply #3401 on: July 22, 2019, 03:33:24 PM »
What features is that? I don't really care about slowmotion, sometimes I do 30 to 25 fps for a subtle effects, but that's it. And I don't go for crop modes or higher resolution. Besides AF and swivel screen all I want is continuous recording for a few minutes since I like longer takes.

You can actually shoot 50/60 FPS with the 70D at 1832x616 and then stretch it in post. Here's a clip I shot at 50 FPS and slowed it down to 25 FPS. I think it looks pretty good aliasing-wise.

ShootMeAlready

• Senior
« Reply #3402 on: July 22, 2019, 07:23:38 PM »
I was astounded how good 16:9 FHD 12 bit raw @24fps looked. But its MF, I recall it was continuous, fills up the LCD screen nicely.
The raw video, of 70D is good for still camera (not moving) shots.  You might get away with a slow pan.
But you would want the AF resolutions for "subject walking" or "tracking a fast moving object centre of screen" (Ive seen some really good footage with a monopod).
Raw video with 70D max out at IS0 400, as hot pixels start to appear for higher ISO.
So you might use a flat profile, and shoot H264 at ISO1600 All-I for low light video.  Its surprising how good shooting flat, can be with H264 in low light.
I find the raw is better for highlight recovery, which is stronger in well lit shots, where as shooting flat with H264 All-I has a nice inky black which is useful.
I like the free Marvel picture profiles.  Otherwise there is always the choice to add lighting.

If you like this, then I would get the VAF, to minimize aliasing. 

I also find a bit of noise reduction really helps with aps-c footage, as its not all moire/aliasing that's afoot. 
A FF sensor tends to handle noise better especially low light.
T3i+ML & 70D.112+ML, Tokina 11-16 2.8, Sigma 18-35 1.8, 50-150 II 2.8, 50 1.4, Canon 28 1.8, 35 2, 85 1.8 "Shoot Wide and Prosper"

Joshua_Fisher

• Just arrived
« Reply #3403 on: September 02, 2019, 08:32:28 PM »
Hello!

New guy here and my question is a bit specific. I tried researching it on google and here on these forums to no avail, so, my apologies if its been asked and answered already.

I'm looking to use one of my Canon 70Ds as a web cam to live stream on twitch. Originally, I was using software called SparkoCam which uses the 70Ds USB port. It seems to work decently but the quality is far lower than the HDMI. The issue with HDMI was it showed all overlay options during liveview.

Note, I am NOT recording, simply using liveview for a webcam.

Enter ML. I installed it and was able to remove the overlay and got the resolution somewhat stretched using ML but there are still black bars on either side when displaying on a 1920x1080p canvas in OBS studio.
Is there any way to get liveview to display in full 1920x1080p using ML, or do I have to manually stretch the image using OBS to get it to fill the screen entirely? I've been dabbling in video lately and have been a photography buff pretty much my whole life but I am a complete nub to ML and the advanced video settings.

Thanks in advance!
Josh

PS, my apologies if this is not the right section, again, new here!