Canon 40D

Started by dichterDichter, July 18, 2012, 08:55:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

a1ex

Compiling the current source code will give you that version to get started. The menu works, but other than that I have no idea what else works.

Maybe jplxpto can publish the devkit (the FIR for enabling the bootflag and dumping the firmware)?

muzsielod

How much it cost the developing of a working firmware?
Canon 40D / Canon 50/1.8MkI / Hanno 135/2.8 / Canon 18-55/3.5-5.6 IS / Pentacon 400/4 MC

nanomad

Hundreds of man-hours.
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

blue9

I bought a second 40D (i have another 40D from before) that i intend to reserve for use with and furure realease of ML.

n0rt0n

Hello all!
Tell me please, where I can download current source code?
Is there AF microadjustment function? I need only this one.
Or maybe I can adjust AF without ML?
Thank you for this job!
And sorry for my english, I'm from Russia :)

ixtlan

@ jplxpto , coutts.

Thanks guys for all your efforts and hard work.  :)

If finally we get a ML download for 40D, do we get a ML for 450D as well?

a1ex

No, but it will be easier to port, if anyone is interested in doing that.

eugene-r

Quote from: n0rt0n on April 19, 2013, 11:04:16 AMIs there AF microadjustment function?
Нету в ML микроаджустмента, такчто даже не надейтесь.

Quote from: n0rt0n on April 19, 2013, 11:04:16 AMOr maybe I can adjust AF without ML?
У 40д нет такой фичи, так что только нести объектив в сервис.

Quote from: n0rt0n on April 19, 2013, 11:04:16 AMI'm from Russia :)
Ничего, бывает =)

zfeet

I have 40D and would like to give it a try with Magic Lantern. I have a background with CHDK but never thought about ML until now. If anyone has a dumped 1.1.1 please PM me.

samacochan

Consider to switch to 50D/550D and install ML to play with. The price drop of the 40D since last year was a significant amount(from $350 to $250 on the Craigslist in Canada) and so are the other two mentioned here. 40D is good but the other two are equally good in some other aspects.

Anyway, don't waste time waiting, just go out and click, click and click.

ixtlan

Quote from: a1ex on April 23, 2013, 04:38:58 PM
No, but it will be easier to port, if anyone is interested in doing that.

Thanks for the reply. I hope this happens.  :)

a1ex

It's not really that hard - if you have enough time, motivation, some basic programming skills and the desire to learn, you can do it. It's quite similar to programming embedded devices or microcontrollers.

See also:
http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/FAQ#Q._My_camera_isn.27t_ported_yet._Is_a_port_planned.C2.A0.3F_When_will_it_be_ready.C2.A0.3F_How_can_I_help.C2.A0.3F

scaricame

nativeridge

news? oh you are wanting a personal update just for you, gotcha, sorry carry on......
GEAR: CANON 6D / BG-E13/ CANON 40D / 70-200 f4L IS / 17-40 f4L / Tokina 12-24 f4 / Sigma 105 f2.8 / 50mm f1.8 / 85mm f1.8 / METZ 58 AF-1 / EXT 1.4II / Manfrotto 055XPROB - 808RC4  [_O_]

coutts

Quote from: samacochan on May 27, 2013, 01:56:01 PM
http://www.eoshd.com/content/10507/it-lives-5-year-old-350-canon-50d-becomes-raw-cinema-monster

Wow......will this happen on 40D ?
I found the required function stubs for it, so in theory it should work if somebody is still working on this port ;)

Faxe

Too bad that the developer seems to have abandoned ship, so we may never know... :-\
Then again, this is all voluntary work, and messy stuff, so I can understand it if he suddenly decided it wasn't worth the effort... I unfortunately completely lacks the skill to finish off what he started.

iNva

I have 5DmII but I would like to try ML on my 40D its any progress there? :)

+ I could help you with testing etc
Canon EOS 6D, Canon EOS 7D, Canon EOS 5DmII, Canon EOS 40D¨
http://janlang.cz/

redhancer

this topic caught my attention as well. If I had the skills I certainly would help, I did a little of coding in my past years but I can't imagine how hard it is to achieve a firmware modification on a camera. there are certain things that an older camera like the 40D would benfefit from, like the software is really old (auto-iso etc.) but the images are still awesome (I do prefer sometimes the 10MP sensor over smaller pixels) so, what canon wants us to do: buy a newer tool. with software so complicated to adjust on cameras its really a smart step of camera manufactures to keep them at dinousaur stage.
well, I assume you all agree, what I wanted to say: If there is a way I can help, I'll invest a lot of my free time (which I got like a month for this summer) If there is enough information available that someone like me could possibly read into that field of work.

best regards

sm105

I was following this thread when it was active, but I think the 50D development has been prioritized for the moment.

I've got a 40D, so I would certainly help with testing builds, but like others I have limited programming experience.

iNva

yea 40D is really good camera.. (I used 50d and I dont like it 40 was better) I like this camera cause this cam is very good in sharp and its really fast in focus (im still using it for rally etc)
Canon EOS 6D, Canon EOS 7D, Canon EOS 5DmII, Canon EOS 40D¨
http://janlang.cz/

Bongle

Quote from: jplxpto on March 21, 2013, 01:56:47 AM
I'M LIVE :)

Sorry ... I have spent many days with health problems and hard work.
My life has been a bit complicated but I hope to get back to work on this project a few days from now.
I'll need to read some posts. I am now a bit outdated.

I think the developers have done an excellent job.

I promise appear shortly.

BR

Hope things have bettered up for you 'jplxpto'. Thanks so much for the dedication you have put into the development of ML for us 40D users. (Of course gratitude goes out to Alex and all the other developers also).

I heard about ML only last night from my wife's boss who uses it on the 5D MkII. He does commercials and all that stuff with it. He's very excited about it and trust me, I can see why.
It would be a real joy to be able to shoot video on my trusty 40D. I just cant wait.
Thanks for the great work guys. I'll surely be one of the first to download ML for the 40D.
The CHAMP is herrrrrrrre!

jplxpto

Hello guys ... sorry ... I've been very busy with work ...and also some health problems.

I've been completely absent during the last months ...
I hope to soon be able to return to work for this magnificent community
and of course I'll come to invest some time in the port of 40D.

Best regards

nativeridge

that is awesome news jplxpto, I am new to the community and although I am fortunate enough to have ML for 6D I have been hoping to see the 40D with some ML 'goodness' :D

very encouraging!! 
GEAR: CANON 6D / BG-E13/ CANON 40D / 70-200 f4L IS / 17-40 f4L / Tokina 12-24 f4 / Sigma 105 f2.8 / 50mm f1.8 / 85mm f1.8 / METZ 58 AF-1 / EXT 1.4II / Manfrotto 055XPROB - 808RC4  [_O_]

imme

Good to hear from jplxpto after long long time. You are only person working on this port and all our eyes are on you.....May God bless you with health and you can work on this port.

Can you please tell us how much more work would be required to complete this port. Last time I think you were working with menus. hope to hear good news from you and we all pray from your health......amen