ML on EOS-M2

Started by Palpatine, September 22, 2015, 02:48:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NEIK

Quote from: critix on November 24, 2021, 02:12:31 PM
I remade the ML for the EOS M2:
https://bitbucket.org/ccritix/magic-lantern-git/downloads/magiclantern-Nightly.2021Nov17.EOSM2103.zip
The links below were no longer functional.

This build does seem to enable up to 5K but when switching to video mode the screen becomes black and nothing is recorded but black. Switching back to photo mode however (1 or 2) it does show input.Anyone has a solution for this?

psieg2

Hi New member here. A few questions regarding dev on the M2:

1. Is development of ML on the M2 dead at this point?

2. Is the build in the quote below (Nov21) the recommended/most stable build?

If not could someone please point me to it?

Zeek if you see this I also have the build from your M2 videos, but it is more than a year older than this build...

It seems I may have jumped the gun on getting an M2 if this is dead and there is no long term stable build.

A couple of things to note:

I only care about 1080P

Stable/working HDMI out to monitor would be a big plus

Focus peaking is nice

Thanks in advance for any help or even a reply ;-)

Quote from: critix on November 24, 2021, 02:12:31 PM
I remade the ML for the EOS M2:
https://bitbucket.org/ccritix/magic-lantern-git/downloads/magiclantern-Nightly.2021Nov17.EOSM2103.zip
The links below were no longer functional.

Walter Schulz

1) Yes
2) There are 2 builds available. If you tell me how to measure stability I may be able to answer this question.

psieg2

Thank you Walter,

Stability for me is the ability to record 1080P RAW (10 bit or more) without dropped frames, pink frames, lock ups etc while having focus peaking and histogram on. Autofocus on is a plus as is audio recording. I will be using cards of sufficient speed (90+ mbs on my EOS M+ML Danne's build overclocked).

Stable HDMI out a plus in order to use a 5" monitor to help with framing/focus.

I have all of this on my EOS M (without stable HDMI out), but I am interested in the better low light performance and better AF of the M2 and I don't care at all about modes over 1080P.

I would love to try both builds as I have 2 EOS m2's on the way...

Thank you so very much for your help!

Danne

Eos M2 has some serious bugs. With some luck it´s able to record in 1080p if I recall correctly but it is very buggy.

psieg2

Walter and Danne,

What if all I wanted was the extended feature set of ML (focus peaking, histogram, zebras, audio meters better live view info at bottom of screen etc) and didn't even TRY for the RAW modes?

Any idea if there is a stable M2 build for that.

BTW would be great if someone could link the 2 builds in a reply....

Thanks!

Quote from: psieg2 on January 06, 2023, 04:46:17 AM
Thank you Walter,

Stability for me is the ability to record 1080P RAW (10 bit or more) without dropped frames, pink frames, lock ups etc while having focus peaking and histogram on. Autofocus on is a plus as is audio recording. I will be using cards of sufficient speed (90+ mbs on my EOS M+ML Danne's build overclocked).

Stable HDMI out a plus in order to use a 5" monitor to help with framing/focus.

I have all of this on my EOS M (without stable HDMI out), but I am interested in the better low light performance and better AF of the M2 and I don't care at all about modes over 1080P.

I would love to try both builds as I have 2 EOS m2's on the way...

Thank you so very much for your help!

Danne

There are no stable builds. There were efforts made to port most functions from eos m and it mostly worked. Except it's buggy and livieview freezes constantly. If you follow the eos m2 thread you"ll see.
Better approach would be for someone to try and fix those serious bugs but it may require rechecking most stubs and code. Prior attempts did not solve the issues.

psieg2

Danne,

Thank you for all you have done for the M, I am running your latest build on both of my M bodies.

I have an ask regarding the M2: If I could have ML for the M2 that gives me what your current M build does WITHOUT any RAW or higher bitrate capability I would be thrilled.

In essence I want the live view tools like histogram, zebras, and focus peaking... and the customized buttons so that I can set everything to work without touch (I use a loupe). Also The stereo recording level meters... I would be set.

I have no idea how big an ask this is and I am looking into compiling so I could do this myself, but think this may take me a while. It seems some of the things I want like the time counter and custom buttons are not just modules that I can drag onto the card (that I understand how to do!). In fact it seems none of what I want are modules and most of what I don't want ARE modules (RAW).

So would an M2 build that focused on offering some of the ML overlays be stable/possible. It seems from my reading on these forums that most/all of the funky instabilities come from pushing the BIT/RAW envelope...

The M2 with cinestyle is pretty great with just h264 1080P, but the cannon firmware lacks a lot that ML offers.

Thank you again, and feel free to tell me to go fish... you have done a great deal for all of us already.

Danne

What you test and get working is what is working at the moment. Why would it be otherwise?
I have no builds myself. All work on this from was from testing different stuff.

EOSM2_GRINGO

Hello guys, a newcomer here willing to test Magic Lantern on Canon eos M2.

I just tried with two different builds, the one provided by Critix (magiclantern-Nightly.2021Nov17.EOSM2103.zip) and the one provided by Zeek, with no success.
The Nightly build for M2 have no Live view, just black screen and the camera is doing strange noise as if it was trying to focus in the dark :), and Zeek's build does not start to record at all. Live view is working though. But the record button doesn't do anything.

In case the developer of Magic Lantern is reading this, please let me know how I can contribute with running tests on the Crop Mood build. That one looks the most promising of all.
It would be great if eos M2 can record at least 1080p in RAW and have a working live view at the same time.

The camera I have is in mint condition, the SD card is SanDisk Extreme Pro, so at least from hardware point of view there should not be any issues.
Thanks

names_are_hard

We don't need testers, we need more developers :)  If we do need testers, we will ask.

That said, I have an M2 and whatever build I'm using works well for the very light usage I use that cam for (just a webcam).  It does glitch out a bit sometimes when I change modes or settings.  It's not expected to be reliable, and nobody is working on improving M2 builds that I'm aware of.

DeEYE

Ive been working with a pretty stable version of eos m2 and I was wondering if anyone knew about a repository for the Focus Pixel Mapps? ( I did check the main repository)
I have some m2 Maps installed (I think there is like 18 or so) however I notice that on one of my files it still shows the focus dots in MLVAPP , and when I investigate it shows that it has loaded one (green) but it obviously is not the correct one. anyone post more somewhere ?

Thanks in advance.

Danne

I would grab the code from Mlv App and try add m2 in there. I think it's even represented in a basic way but uncommented. Enabling the cam then trying to simply use eos m maps to see if they will work.

DeEYE

good idea, will try. Thanks