Canon 70D

Started by nikfreak, January 15, 2015, 12:22:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nikfreak

Glad to hear you got it working again.
[size=8pt]70D.112 & 100D.101[/size]

nikfreak

Quote from: OlRivrRat on November 21, 2015, 07:12:03 AMChecked & found same Issue/Feature here ~ but it seems to be Controlled by "Prefs" ~ "Image Review Settings" ~ "QuickZoom"

Yes, true but again there are different submenu settings. I tried to replicate so plz read on...

Quote from: TechnoPilot on November 20, 2015, 07:17:26 PM
everytime one press is taking me to full zoom and not stepping in..

You got "Image Review Settings" ~ "QuickZoom"~ "SinglePress -> 100" activated for that to happen. That's what the cam should do if that setting is used. No bug for me.

Quote from: TechnoPilot on November 20, 2015, 07:17:26 PM
...it also locked up touch functionality again at random (only when using the +/- key for photo review) which is something I also thought we solved a little while back.

I tried to replicate and the only quickzoom settig which will block touch functionality is "ON (fast zoom)" for me. On all other settings touch is working for me. That said it's not locking up. I can leave the cam powered and just change that setting to anything else to get touch back working. Ofc I am on 70D.111A and OlRivrRat + TechnoPilot are using 70D.111B. So before continuing let's test all settings  thoroughly and confirm results / behavior for both fw revisions. While we are at it I might as well implement "KEN_ROCKWELL_ZOOM" feature as seen on 5D3/6D if you wish. Take a look at the user guide

OlRivrRat

@NikFreak

I had already checked all SubMenu Choices & found that they all Seemed to Function as Expected, which is why I said

QuoteI'm seeing It as a Rather Nice "Feature", Rather than a Bug.

I'll take a look @ the KR Zoom stuff & comment. ~~ OK, looked into KRZoom & it seems like it could be useful.

ORR ~ DeanB

ORR~DeanB  ~~  80D-ML  &  SL1+ML  &  5D2+ML  &  5DC+ML  &  70D+ML(AliveAgain)

laci.szebeni

Hey, guys.
Is there any way we could reimplement the feature of displaying "elapsed/remaining 4gb/remaining card" feature?
I find it critical to know when the card is about to fill up and when a 4gb break is about to occur while shooting long sessions of video.

nikfreak

laci.szebeni

Quote from: nikfreak on November 24, 2015, 09:53:33 AM
I will have a look into it.
Sweet! Thanks a lot, nikfreak. You're the greatest! :D

JohnnyG_71

Quote from: nikfreak on November 23, 2015, 08:04:56 PM
While we are at it I might as well implement "KEN_ROCKWELL_ZOOM" feature as seen on 5D3/6D if you wish. Take a look at the user guide
@nikfreak -- Huge thumbs-up for adding "KEN_ROCKWELL_ZOOM"!   :D
That will make my life a whole lot easier....  ;)
Canon 70D (70D.111B). Canon: EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM, EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM, EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM, EF 50mm f/1.8 STM. Sigma: 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM C, 105mm f/2.8 EX DG OS HSM, 30mm f/1.4 DC HSM A, 4.5mm f/2.8 EX DC HSM Circular Fisheye. Samyang 16mm f/2 ED AS UMC CS.

laci.szebeni

Quote from: nikfreak on November 24, 2015, 09:53:33 AM
I will have a look into it.
Also the arrow keys shortcuts were amazing, too. I dunno why those were removed, they were gold for changing white balance and setting shutter speeds bellow the 1/30 canon limit.

nikfreak

Hmm ok I will look into arrow shortcuts again but as fa ras I remember I wasn't convinced by the way how it worked as for 70D it was really hard to catch an unused and additionally unique key-press-event. At least we were able to trigger it and if you find it useful I can re-activate it and release it for testing...

laci.szebeni

Quote from: nikfreak on November 24, 2015, 06:21:20 PM
Hmm ok I will look into arrow shortcuts again but as fa ras I remember I wasn't convinced by the way how it worked as for 70D it was really hard to catch an unused and additionally unique key-press-event. At least we were able to trigger it and if you find it useful I can re-activate it and release it for testing...
Indeed, their functionality was kinda funky.. But hey! Canon offers no way of changing the WB while recording, and even when not, the way they make you do it in live view with Q and Info really sucks in my opinion. So therefore having the arrows to control WB at will is priceless. If enabling them only involves uncommenting some code, then I believe it's worth it.

TechnoPilot

Alright, I definitely agree that what I experienced was not a bug, however it would seem that QuickZoom was defaulted to on.  Should this really be the case?  I do also want to note that the camera did not lockup as I think was taken that I described, just the touch functionality until I exited Playback mode.

I have noted one instance where I can reliably get the camera to completely lockup and require switch off and battery removal to reset, but I think this is a Canon issue and not a ML one.  That is removing a micro SD from the camera while leaving an adapter in it and closing the SD card door.  This creates an instant lockup, but I need to test with a non-ML card to see if it is ML related or at the Canon level.

I have to second/third the request to add back the arrow button control of white balance and ISO, this worked brilliantly for me, and while it popped up a little Canon overlay while the activation button was pressed, it really was only a slight annoyance and not a hindrance to use.

I just wanted to confirm, please correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as we are aware at moment, there is no way to implement Clean HDMI out?  Right?  I ask because with the release of the new Blackmagic Video Assist, I was eyeing it at the store yesterday and simply loved it, except when I plugged it into my 70D [emoji14]

Thanks again Nikfreak for all the work, I love ML on my camera to say the least!
Cameras: Canon 70D - 70D.111B (Beta 2B)
Lenses: Sigma 18-35mm F1.8, Sigma 50-150mm F2.8 II
Video Gear: Shure Lenshopper VP83F, Rode Filmmaker Kit, DSLR Controller w/ TPLink MR3040

nikfreak

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B9Mu66yg5QzRc0hOMklJY2Z2UW8&usp=sharing

Follow above link to grab the test builds for 70D.111A / B.
What to test:

• All Quickzoom stuff! I wasn't able to implement Ken Rockwell Zoom feature but you can emulate it via "Image Review" -> "CanonMnu:Hold->PLAY"
  • That said I am thinking about some optional Automode which would automatically apply the setting from "Quick Zoom" once "Image Review" -> "CanonMnu:Hold->PLAY" is set.Hope you understand it.
  • Time indicator is enabled as requested. This required to enable bitrate features which aren't likely to work. But I may stand corrected cause I never shoot videos...
  • Arrow shortcuts are enabled again (same keys as before [check help]). seems to work ok in movie mode only but for 100% perfection I would like to cancel the dialog kicking in "This function is not available in movie shooting mode" and maybe restrict it to movie mode only. In liveview I don't seem to be able to catch an usable key event. Need really more time to find "the" perfect solution. But I guess those that wanted to have arrow shortcuts should be even happy about this state...
  • Histogram tweaks from a1ex's pull request are inbuilt.test them thoroughly and approve / confirm / comment the pull request please: https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/pull-requests/667/histogram-tweaks/diff

So still some ToDo's but I expect some feedback if you wish one or all of those features implemented  ;D

laci.szebeni

Quote from: nikfreak on November 24, 2015, 09:45:49 PM
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B9Mu66yg5QzRc0hOMklJY2Z2UW8&usp=sharing

Follow above link to grab the test builds for 70D.111A / B.
What to test:

• All Quickzoom stuff! I wasn't able to implement Ken Rockwell Zoom feature but you can emulate it via "Image Review" -> "CanonMnu:Hold->PLAY"
  • That said I am thinking about some optional Automode which would automatically apply the setting from "Quick Zoom" once "Image Review" -> "CanonMnu:Hold->PLAY" is set.Hope you understand it.
  • Time indicator is enabled as requested. This required to enable bitrate features which aren't likely to work. But I may stand corrected cause I never shoot videos...
  • Arrow shortcuts are enabled again (same keys as before [check help]). seems to work ok in movie mode only but for 100% perfection I would like to cancel the dialog kicking in "This function is not available in movie shooting mode" and maybe restrict it to movie mode only. In liveview I don't seem to be able to catch an usable key event. Need really more time to find "the" perfect solution. But I guess those that wanted to have arrow shortcuts should be even happy about this state...
  • Histogram tweaks from a1ex's pull request are inbuilt.test them thoroughly and approve / confirm / comment the pull request please: https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/pull-requests/667/histogram-tweaks/diff

So still some ToDo's but I expect some feedback if you wish one or all of those features implemented  ;D
Arrow shortcuts work as before. Thank you for enabling them, and on such a short notice, too.
Elapsed/remaining time display are also working, just a little glitchy as the numbers are displayed over the chosen fps so they keep flickering. I wouldn't mind if fps display was removed altogether as that's a feature you usually set once for your region and then never touch again. But if it can't be removed easily, it's fine anyway.
Thanks again for all the amazing work you're doing transforming these DSLRs.

ShootMeAlready

Clean outs is possible with ML, But not at 1080p.
You could get clean 720p, and that would require crop. To get 1080p you have to up res.

Check my post link for details (this really should be a sticky):
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5951.msg155225#msg155225
T3i+ML & 70D.112+ML, Tokina 11-16 2.8, Sigma 18-35 1.8, 50-150 II 2.8, 50 1.4, Canon 28 1.8, 35 2, 85 1.8 "Shoot Wide and Prosper"

lubo

Hello,

I would lile to say thank you to all of the MagicLantern crew and also to nikfreak and all other guys who helped him to port MagicLantern for Canon 70D!!!
MagicLanter support was one of the KEY FEATURES which I looked for when decided to upgrade from 700D

I have one question about the SD Card Benchmark menu - I was sure that this menu showed right information about the SD Card performance, but unfortunately there is something strange ...

As I know the write SD Card bus speed on 70D is limited to somewhere around 35-36 MB/s, I bought a 128 GB SanDisk Ultra 80MB/s card.
http://www.cameramemoryspeed.com/canon-70d/fastest-sd-cards/

On my test on a PC the card have a read rate of 92MB/s and write rate 40-39.8 MB/s

On the test with the MagicLantern Benchmark program the results are:
write speed: 13.6 - 29.3 MB/s
read speed: 19.7 - 43.7
both speeds are far below the test results on the PC and below the 70D bus limitations ... ?
When testing to record RAW video the write speed is about 18-20 MB/s

Do anybody know what are the speed limitations of the SD Card bus on Canon 70D?
Is the MagicLantern SD Benchmark program right or wrong?
Do anybody have better results with some other SD Card?

Best regards,
Lubo

Walter Schulz

After starting benchmark press Play button. ML will write a PPM file containing a screen snapshot to card root. Convert it, upload it somewhere and link it here.

OlRivrRat

Elapsed/remaining time display are also working, just a little glitchy as the numbers are displayed over the chosen fps so they keep flickering. I wouldn't mind if fps display was removed altogether as that's a feature you usually set once for your region and then never touch again. But if it can't be removed easily, it's fine anyway.

Elapsed/remaining Time Display is working for Me as well but would not want FPS Display go away. Would rather see File # replaced with Time Indicator during Rec

if possible.
ORR~DeanB  ~~  80D-ML  &  SL1+ML  &  5D2+ML  &  5DC+ML  &  70D+ML(AliveAgain)

laci.szebeni

Quote from: OlRivrRat on November 26, 2015, 04:08:53 AM
       Elapsed/remaining Time Display is working for Me as well but would not want FPS Display go away. Would rather see File # replaced with Time Indicator during Rec

if possible.
Yes. Even better.

TechnoPilot

Perhaps could there be an option in the settings for picking?  I feel like having the those kinds of customizations would be ideal...since I think a few of us would want different things...
Cameras: Canon 70D - 70D.111B (Beta 2B)
Lenses: Sigma 18-35mm F1.8, Sigma 50-150mm F2.8 II
Video Gear: Shure Lenshopper VP83F, Rode Filmmaker Kit, DSLR Controller w/ TPLink MR3040

nikfreak

Before we tinker with that let's return to start:
Anyone tried the bitrate options? Do they work or simply useless at all on 70D? Can you see some significant increase in file size or quality (if it worked)? Lemme know your results and afterwards we will do the indicators  8)

Any comments on the raw histogram tweaks? Still encountering problems with quick zoom and touch functionality?

DeafEyeJedi

I'll be out of town in SF until next Sunday and will confirm all of this come Monday next week.

Happy Thanksgiving y'all!
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

lubo

starbase64 thank you for the information! How long RAW video you are able to record with this card before the frame drops?

SanDisk Extreme 64GB microSDXC UHS-I Class 10 U3 ~33€
http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00NMD4YCW?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00

Below are my results with my card: SanDisk Ultra 128GB SDXC UHS-I Memory Card Up To  80MB/s
http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Ultra-Class-Memory-SDSDUNC-032G-GN6IN/dp/B0143RT8OY

pontius

Hello Nikfreak, I ran some bitrate tests today.

1080p 25fps ALL-I ~10s clips
0.5x -> 69.9 Mbps
3x -> 70.0 Mbps
q16 -> 69.8 Mbps
q-16 -> 69.9 Mbps

1080p 24fps ALL-I ~10s clips
0.5x / 3x / q16 / q-16 -> 71 Mbps

720p 50fps ALL-I ~10s clips
0.5x / 3x / q16 / q-16 -> 78 Mbps

Unfortunately, for me there were no effect whatsoever settings I did use.

Edit: As Walter Schulz suggested, i tested IPB modes too.

1080p 25fps IPB ~10s clips
0.5x / 3x / q16 / q-16 -> 29.5 Mbps

1080p 24fps IPB ~10s clips
0.5x / 3x / q16 / q-16 -> 29.4 Mbps

720p 50fps IPB ~10s clips
0.5x / 3x / q16 / q-16 -> 25.8  Mbps
70D.111B