Canon 70D

Started by nikfreak, January 15, 2015, 12:22:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

groundlessfears

Canon EOS 550D 1.0.9
Canon EOS 70D.111A
Canon EOS 5D Mark III 1.2.3

jamieoliver22

I have been using the Beta-1 on the model A for a week or so now, and it has been brilliant - many thanks to Nik and everyone involved with this. My 70D is the first camera to support it (only had a 20D before it), so it has been great to try it out. The crop marks have been particularity useful, as well as the on-screen stuff like magic zoom and histogram. Still need to have a play around with some of the other features.

Quote from: laci.szebeni on November 10, 2015, 10:58:31 PM
What additional audio features besides the ones implemented by Canon are you looking for?

I imagine features like audio monitoring through the AV port for one, I know that is something that I would find particularly useful. Not sure if it something that can be done on the 70D though.
70D.111A

nikfreak

Quote from: jamieoliver22 on November 11, 2015, 09:40:19 PM
Not sure if it something that can be done on the 70D though.

cannot be done!
[size=8pt]70D.112 & 100D.101[/size]

mattdutiel

Quote from: jamieoliver22 on Yesterday at 09:40:19 PM

Not sure if it something that can be done on the 70D though.

cannot be done!

Just wondering if you had any info on why it isnt possible?

nikfreak

With massive reverse engineering efforts it may be possible one day. But actually there's no Digic5 powered cam supporting audio features except the audio metersand mlv_snd-module.

sprakash

Hi,

I am using magic lantern Beta-1 on 70D111A version. When I enable Wi-Fi on the camera, the overlay information disappears. I needed to see the information on the overlay while trying to shoot remotely using my android phone connected via wi-fi.

What I did:

• Enabled wi-fi on my camera.
  • Connected my phone to camera over wi-fi.
  • Went back to liveview mode.
  • I was able to shoot remotely, but the overlay display information such as exposure, ISO, focus distance etc. disappeared.
  • Then, I disabled wi-fi. Went back to liveview mode.
  • All the information was back on display. Of course, the phone got disconnected from camera.

Is this a known bug?

Also, may I know why was focus stacking disabled in subsequent builds? I really need to use focal stacking. Is it going to come back in any future builds? If not, then can I re-enable it somehow for my personal use?

Thanks,
sprakash

TechnoPilot

Quote from: nikfreak on November 12, 2015, 07:27:25 AM
With massive reverse engineering efforts it may be possible one day. But actually there's no Digic5 powered cam supporting audio features except the audio metersand mlv_snd-module.
Oh this is very interesting, I was not aware of that point!
Cameras: Canon 70D - 70D.111B (Beta 2B)
Lenses: Sigma 18-35mm F1.8, Sigma 50-150mm F2.8 II
Video Gear: Shure Lenshopper VP83F, Rode Filmmaker Kit, DSLR Controller w/ TPLink MR3040

axelcine

EOS RP, 5dIII.113/Batt.grip, 5dIII.123, 700d/Batt.Grip/VF4 viewfinder + a truckload of new and older Canon L, Sigma and Tamron glass

starbase64

@nikfreak

is focus stacking possible with ML on 70D?

OlRivrRat

Starbase64

It's has been @ 1 time but was apparently Buggy so it was Disabled while being Fixed. Until it is Fixed & Reenabled

You can get it back by acquiring & running Alpha7a2 (08Aug).

ORR ~ DeanB
ORR~DeanB  ~~  80D-ML  &  SL1+ML  &  5D2+ML  &  5DC+ML  &  70D+ML(AliveAgain)

starbase64

nikfreak

Just updated the first post and tagged it "Beta-2". List of changes is rather minimal and that's a good sign.

To answer starbase64's question: focus stacking was buggy as OlRivRat pointed out and therefore it got disabled. 70D's AF is quite different and "something unknown" caused trouble

maxexcloo

Quote from: nikfreak on November 15, 2015, 11:03:48 AM
Just updated the first post and tagged it "Beta-2". List of changes is rather minimal and that's a good sign.

To answer starbase64's question: focus stacking was buggy as OlRivRat pointed out and therefore it got disabled. 70D's AF is quite different and "something unknown" caused trouble

Sounds good that we're approaching stability! Awesome work mate :)

groundlessfears

Do every time we need to re flash the magiclantern to upgrade, or simply overwrite the autoexe.bin file from the latest archive to the SD CARD and done.?
Canon EOS 550D 1.0.9
Canon EOS 70D.111A
Canon EOS 5D Mark III 1.2.3

Walter Schulz

Just delete ML directory, FIR and autoexec.bin and copy extracted build contents to card.

Thobias

Thanks for update!

Is it safe to keep my setting files of previous version of ML and update just core files on SD cards? If not, any way how transfer settings from previous version?

Btw, latest version of Camera RAW and Adobe DNG Converter (9.3) released 2 days ago is still not able to open DNG files that contain metadata from 70D=(
Canon 70D (ML 70D.111A - Beta-3) | Canon: 24-70mm f/4 L IS USM, 50mm f/1.8 STM, 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 STM | FD 35mm f/2.8, FD 50mm f/1.8, FD 135mm f/3.5, Soligor: FD 28mm f/2.8 | old Canon flash Speedlite 299T | Windows 10 64bit

OlRivrRat

@ GroundlessFears & Thobias & WEIMC

I find that this Procedure works Quite Nicely ~

On Your SD Card, Drag Your Old "settings" Folder out of the "ML" Folder to the "Root Level" of the SD Card

Drag, Drop & Replace the New "autoexec.bin", "FIR" & "ML" Folder from their Unzipped location to the SD Card

Then Drag, Drop & Replace the Old "settings" Folder from the SD Card "Root Level" to the New "ML" Folder

Put the SD Card in my 70D & Start it, Allow it to do a Full StartUp (All LED Flashing Stops) Then Turn Off Cam'

& Restart ~ The Double StartUp Is Probably Not Necessary but it just "Feels" like the Right Thing To Do.
ORR~DeanB  ~~  80D-ML  &  SL1+ML  &  5D2+ML  &  5DC+ML  &  70D+ML(AliveAgain)

starbase64

Hi,

auto focus is broken on my 70d, someone has original firmware 1.1.1 A?

edit: auto focus works again

regards

starbase64

TechnoPilot

Hey all I've noticed something interesting with this build, and my installation of it.

For reference, I have been regularly using the method mentioned above to retain settings from build to build, specifically though the settings file, not whole folder.

For a while now I have been using the shutter timing delay functionality to give myself an accurate 180° shutter for 24p video recording, but I noticed now that the delay seems to be pre-added and when set to zero on the delay, shutter speeds are still modified and at 1/48 or similar and putting in any delay does not work, shutter speeds do not change.  I tried resetting all settings to default in my install and this still did not change the shutter speed back.  Is this accurate behaviour, or is it a bug?  It seems to only effect video recordings, photo shutter speeds remain normal.
Cameras: Canon 70D - 70D.111B (Beta 2B)
Lenses: Sigma 18-35mm F1.8, Sigma 50-150mm F2.8 II
Video Gear: Shure Lenshopper VP83F, Rode Filmmaker Kit, DSLR Controller w/ TPLink MR3040

bombobrudi

Just downloaded Beta-2, make fresh install. All went well, but there is NO ML overlay anymore, no zebras, no focus peaking, NOTHING ;(
What should I do?
Canon 70D (70D.111A)

Walter Schulz

Delete ML directory, delete autoexec.bin. Copy extracted build contents to card and startup cam.

aedipuss

bombobrudi - did you go into the canon settings and "update firmware" ?  sounds like you used a new card and it's not bootable yet.
canon 600d
canon 60d - Nightly.2016Apr17.60D111
canon 70d - 112

bombobrudi

Did clean setup.
The ML config screen works via Trash Icon Key works fine, but not the ML live view overlay. I always get the default live view overlay.

See here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4ww0zirg5nb1yrq/IMG_0089.JPG?dl=0

Any idea?
Canon 70D (70D.111A)

Walter Schulz

Press INFO several times and eventually ML screen (and overlays) will be seen.

bombobrudi

Hmmm, just went back to ML Beta-1 and it works perfectly. And now back again to Beta-2 no Overlay.
I know the Info cycle. But it is not there  :-[ :-[
Canon 70D (70D.111A)