Canon 70D

Started by nikfreak, January 15, 2015, 12:22:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vitor duarte

I am Portuguese and my English is poor.
ML installed on my 70D but do not spend too much time on the screen and do not have access for example to peaking among many

what will happen ?
thank you

vitor duarte

is that the 700D does not give the 70D ? lol

SuperDosh

Quote from: Walter Schulz on June 22, 2015, 11:04:41 PM
Installing the wrong version will tell you to use the other one.

Thanks Walter!  :D

vitor duarte

It is that the peaking does not work

Walter Schulz

Add your request in portuguese, please.

vitor duarte

Boa noite.
Instalei o ML na minha 70D mas o peaking não funciona, ou seja, fica inactivo e o ML ao fim de 5 segundos desaparece do ecrã.

thebandrick

Hello guys , i have recently installed ML on my 70d , but i find that my footage looks really noisy , even in good lighting conditions , there is a lot of alisaing and there is a sort of lag between some frames. Does anyone encounter the same problem ? How can i rasolve this ?

I shoot 1792*762 at 24fps

DeafEyeJedi

@thebandrick:

for which Alpha Build are you referring this to?
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

thebandrick

Quote from: DeafEyeJedi on June 24, 2015, 12:16:50 AM
@thebandrick:

for which Alpha Build are you referring this to?
Alpha 6 , and on alpha 5 it did was same thing ..
I also have the impression that my footage is a little sped up (i shoot in 24fps , i convert it with raw2mlv then when i import it in after effects it says 30fps ..)

ShootMeAlready

Bandrick.

Try this for lower noise
1. ISO 400 max. this is conservative max.
2. fast shutter 1/100  or faster
3. shoot flat (in camera stuff dialed off, sharpness off, contrast off, and desat -2)
4. Clean sensor/lens, use a hood in daylight.
5. Avoid digital zoom.
6. Ensure there is some light somewhere in the shot, shots of minimal light are nosier on aps-c.

Ofcourse you could shoot with the zoom 3X (or 5X in ML), but its nosier by design.
Its a bigger set of tricks to get best out of it.

T3i+ML & 70D.112+ML, Tokina 11-16 2.8, Sigma 18-35 1.8, 50-150 II 2.8, 50 1.4, Canon 28 1.8, 35 2, 85 1.8 "Shoot Wide and Prosper"

snakec

Quote from: snakec on June 21, 2015, 07:07:17 PM
EXIF disappear when exporting with the plugin magic lantern.

thebandrick

Thank you for the advices ! I try this right now and i tell you what :)

DeafEyeJedi

If it's exporting in 30 FPS from AE -- sounds like you forgot to set the project/timeline setting to 24 FPS to match the footage and/or check your export/render queue settings.
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

ShootMeAlready

Perhaps one who knows better than me can advise.
But why is ML Zoom 5X, when the actual is 3X.
The framing of what is displayed at 5X does not match the recording (3X).
I thought ML could control the display? 
Walter say it isnt so! There is some menu option I am missing, or that this can be fixed before the next time the planets align.
T3i+ML & 70D.112+ML, Tokina 11-16 2.8, Sigma 18-35 1.8, 50-150 II 2.8, 50 1.4, Canon 28 1.8, 35 2, 85 1.8 "Shoot Wide and Prosper"

dmilligan

@lojzik

It appears that ACR simply refuses to load any DNGs that have camera model as "Canon 70D". This is quite strange. If you use exiftool or just a hex editor to change the camera model metadata from "Canon 70D" to say "Canon 60D" it loads just fine. This would be something to complain to Adobe about (for not adhering to their own DNG "standard").

dmilligan

Quote from: ShootMeAlready on June 25, 2015, 03:01:41 AM
why is ML Zoom 5X, when the actual is 3X.
There are two main image buffers: the raw buffer which is raw data captured from the sensor, and the YUV buffer which is what is used for display to the LCD screen and HDMI, etc. There is obviously a lot of processing that is done between the raw buffer and the YUV buffer (this processing is controlled by Canon firmware). When you press the zoom button, the Canon firmware changes both the sensor scanning mode, which causes a 3X change in the raw buffer, and some of the YUV processing so that the end result of the YUV processing is a 5X change.

For a long time, we didn't know how to modify the YUV processing to make the images match, so the framing was just off in crop mode. We can "control the display", i.e. we can write to the YUV buffer and know how it works, but what we don't know how to do is control all the image processing hardware that is needed to process raw data into yuv in realtime (we can do it with the CPU, but it's way to slow). This hardware is all controlled by the Canon firmware.

@Greg discovered how to control this with some of the ADTG/ENGIO registers, but to date, no developers have had time (I guess) to implement this for correct framing in raw video crop mode. See: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=10111.msg125590#msg125590

dalifen

Sorry if it already was here, I didn't find it, but I can't load the sound module. It doesn't link it, announces error after boot.
Any recommendation?
Alpha70D111B

Walter Schulz

I suppose you mean MLV_SND.mo. This module will enable sound recording when MLV_REC.mo is used. So you have to load both.

nikfreak

No sound support yet. On a side note: I will be away for about 2 weeks. From time to time I will read through forum but you won't see any updates from me in the next 2 weeks.

Once returned I will continue work.
[size=8pt]70D.112 & 100D.101[/size]

dalifen

I see, thanks anyway, at least there are no error message whenever I load both MLV_SND.mo and MLV_REC.mo

Any idea for connecting earphones to 70D? Perhaps by using digital AV-out?

lojzik

what exactly means "No sound support yet "? Because if I enable mlv_snd and mlv_raw, I get mlv with sound.
70D.112

nikfreak

it means: no support from me yet cause I never tried myself. Some people reported it as broken / crashing earlier.
[size=8pt]70D.112 & 100D.101[/size]

dalifen

Yes that's true. I can enable the modules now, but with no practical functionality e.g. level meters, chanels dedication and so.

FreyRS

Hallo there ,iam new and i tried ML with my 600D before. There was the Point " Audio remote shot" to trigger when a sound comes up or iam clapping my hands !

Am i stupid or isnt it available 4 the Canon 70D !?!? plz help

patrick.m.mckenna

Just got the 70D about two weeks after owning a 40 for the past five years and then the 10D which I bought back in 2003 or so.

Anyway, I am interested in ML mainly for the focus peaking and zebras; however, after successfully installing it and loading the modiules and turning on focus peaking in Display 2 and Display 3, and then setting it so it can run 4 display configuration.

I can't the overlays or the grid or anything that resembles the ML overlay in the user guide to appear on my viewfinder in Live Mode. Tried shooting stills in AV, TV and P mode and nada/nothing. I know some of ML's functionality is working because I adjusted the Kelvin in the WB to make the images warmer and cooler. But no joy with the overlays. I hit info multiple times and have toggle between live mode and viewfinder mode. Restarted and nothing.

Peak focusing is really what I am most interested in because I have a Lomograpjy Petzval 85mm f2,2 that is manual focus and it is a pain to get the focus tact sharp in the stills that I am taking. I also have a Canon 50mm 1.2 that is autofocus and when shot wide open, it is also a chore to get the eyes sharp.  I thought the peak focusing would be helpful for both lenses but I can't get the overlays to appear.

Must've watched 10 videos on ML and the overlays but I am stuck.

Any advice?