Canon 70D

Started by nikfreak, January 15, 2015, 12:22:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

janoschsimon

just try masterhks start with 111a and the installer will either install or tell you to use the other piece of cake :-)

masterhks

Thx man this is my first time to install ML, do you ML spoil my camera if ML is not compatible ?

janoschsimon

take your time and read the first post when you do everything like its written nothing should be damaged im not aware of any broken cam but on the other hand you do everything on your own risk but as you can see lot of people had sucsses :-)

jakepetre

Error 70 when using dual-ISO in photo mode: Battery pull fixes
Restarting turns off modules (They are automatically disabled during crashes)
Getting some funny colors in between power cycles.
Will provide crash log when I can.

nikfreak

ok that could mean that I need to privide adtg_gui for 70D_111B. You guys would have to check the adtg registers.

Anyone else able to confirm dual_iso not working on 70D_111B???
[size=8pt]70D.112 & 100D.101[/size]

jakepetre

Quote from: nikfreak on April 22, 2015, 05:05:51 PM
ok that could mean that I need to privide adtg_gui for 70D_111B. You guys would have to check the adtg registers.

Anyone else able to confirm dual_iso not working on 70D_111B???

Dual ISO does work...albeit it looks kinda funny for image review (maybe that's because I've never used ML before and am seeing everything for the first time). I had the Err 70 when reviewing images taken with dual ISO and trying to disable the Canon overlays by pressing 'Info' a few times. It's likely that I overwhelmed the camera by doing too much at once. After restarting I've noticed that when reviewing dual ISO images, they normally cycle every second from bright to dark, but slow down when scrolling through pictures.
My biggest issue with ML is how it automatically backs out of the 'Q' mode in any setting I select if I don't press any buttons for 5 seconds. I can navigate the main menu just fine, but every submenu is a trick to use. Example: Trash can > ML Main menu > Overlay > Focus Peak > Threshold > *Poof!* back to shooting mode. This doesn't happen all the time, but for some power cycles it's omnipresent.

nikfreak

Quote from: jakepetre on April 22, 2015, 05:18:36 PM
My biggest issue with ML is how it automatically backs out of the 'Q' mode in any setting I select if I don't press any buttons for 5 seconds. I can navigate the main menu just fine, but every submenu is a trick to use. Example: Trash can > ML Main menu > Overlay > Focus Peak > Threshold > *Poof!* back to shooting mode. This doesn't happen all the time, but for some power cycles it's omnipresent.

1st post plz. scroll down to "what's not working". Follow the link there. Feel free to help fixing it or learn to live with it until it gets fixed for 6D / 70D...

Hint: Make your adjustments in photo mode (not Lv / movie). In photo mod eit doesn't disappear...
[size=8pt]70D.112 & 100D.101[/size]

OlRivrRat

Won't be able to do much testing for a couple of days but so far have found that

1        "SET" button startup to avoid ML does not work for me. I reset buttons to DEFAULT & it still doesn't work.

2         If Start Up is done in Still Mode & then switched to LV or Video, the On Screen Level is frozen. If Start Up is done in LV or Video Mode the On Screen Level works fine.

ORR ~ DeanB ~ 70D+ML111B
ORR~DeanB  ~~  80D-ML  &  SL1+ML  &  5D2+ML  &  5DC+ML  &  70D+ML(AliveAgain)

OlRivrRat

Correction for this - If Start Up is done in LV or Video Mode the On Screen Level works fine.

Should have said - If Start Up is done in Video Mode the On Screen Level works fine & continues to work fine if  I switch to LV.

ORR ~ DeanB ~ 70D+ML111B

Makadamia

Nice, works on my 70D (70D 111 B) :)

Good work, looks very promising. Going to test now.
Canon EOS 70D, 500D, PowerShot S95

masterhks

do you like to tell me your first five number of your camera my start with 1136... i like to install ML on my camera but i dont know witch wersion 111A or 111B

Walter Schulz

Try any version. The wrong one will tell you to use the other one.

mrochlin

Small note on the installation instructions:
It's a bit confusing that at the top it says
Download cr2hdr.exe compatible with 70D for Windows
Download cr2hdr compatible with 70D for Mac (thx N/A)

but a bit lower in the same post it offers:
Download Alpha5 release for 70D_111A or Download Alpha5 release for 70D_111B

From the Changelog, I think the installers listed at the top are what I want - and that they will automatically figure out whether I have the newer or older firmware version 70D.    I tried searching a couple of ways and could not find the serial number cut-off for older/newer.   It might be nice to add that to this post or to the change-log   remove the option to download an A or B version from the main announcement.

ALSO: I had my main PCB replaced in a warranty repair (last week).   So probably it has the newer firmware.  Since I can't find the serial # cutoff, I'm not sure if it had the newer firmware even before replacement.  Would the new installer look for the serial #  identify the firmware itself in someway.  Since my PCB is newer than the body there could be a mismatch.

a1ex

There is no mention of "serial" in the first post. What's wrong with you, guys?!

Also:

Quote from: nikfreak on January 20, 2015, 04:57:37 PM
Just read the 1st post, accept what is written there and plz stop posting any serial numbers. They don't matter.

Quote from: Walter Schulz on April 22, 2015, 07:52:52 PM
Try any version. The wrong one will tell you to use the other one.

OlRivrRat

Mrochlin

Download cr2hdr.exe compatible with 70D for Windows
Download cr2hdr compatible with 70D for Mac (thx N/A)

Those are Links to Software you may need to handle Post Processing of shots acquired via certain ML Functionality ~

Download Alpha5 release for 70D_111A or Download Alpha5 release for 70D_111B

Those are the Links that will get you ML for your 70D ~ If you don't know if your 70D has the Older or Newer Firmware

just download both 111A & 111B & try them ~ The Correct 1 will load & the incorrect 1 will not.

ORR ~ DeanB ~ 70D+ML111B

mrochlin

Thanks for the clarification.

A lot of people have been hoping/waiting for the 70D version and the work is really appreciated(!)

Since CanonRumors and some other sites sort of announced "ML Is Here!" for the 70d today, you may be getting others who haven't been following the 30 odd pages of posts here.   It was a little fuzzy to me that the chr2hdr executables were not the ML install and I thought the links further down were redundant.  Now I see the 70d_111A or B versions were the main ML code.   It might be clearer for newbies/referred folk like myself if
- The main installers were at the top of the post
- It was clarified that you just need to try both to see which works and that the only way to know if you have a 111A or 111B firmware camera (at the moment) is to try one or the other and see if you get a black screen.

Otherwise, people will naturally inquire which one they should download (if they haven't been reading the whole thread).   People are probably (like me) going to presume there's a serial # cut-off since Canon camera age follows with serial # and one firmware is older than the other.

Thank you (again) for the work.  I will read more of the forum posts before attempting any install.

RickK

In reply to: "SET" button startup to avoid ML does not work for me. I reset buttons to DEFAULT & it still doesn't work.

I found the same except I am new to ML so not sure if I was doing it correctly. However, I accidently discovered that I can inactivate  by pressing SET when the camera has gone to sleep.

ShootMeAlready

Kudos Kudos Kudos to Nik & big bear hug for Alex for helping out to get 70D B up.
Just like the song "Loving every minute of it".

Here's my first observation, noting that for 1600x680 @ 2.35:1 at ISO > 100, hot pixels
being seen after about 10-15s into a video. At higher ISO they appear more frequently. 
Ive only got mlv_rec Mlv_play modules loaded. 

Added:  I never see any hot pixels in 1080p h264 video, or still raw/jpgs.   Since they
are not constant in location and increase over time, I think some canon correction program is not
running.

However at ISO 100 no hot pixels.  I tried it with Canon standard pic style, and Marvels 3.4. 

If you are ever in the Big Smoke "Toronto" area drinks on me ...

T3i+ML & 70D.112+ML, Tokina 11-16 2.8, Sigma 18-35 1.8, 50-150 II 2.8, 50 1.4, Canon 28 1.8, 35 2, 85 1.8 "Shoot Wide and Prosper"

DeafEyeJedi

Thanks to @nikfreak as well as everyone else on board for releasing the B version...

https://vimeo.com/125748819

More in-depth details to come...
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

OlRivrRat

Apporx' 30secs after startup, in Still Mode, the Red Activity LED starts Flashing every 4secs. If startup is done in Vid' Mode this dose not happen ~

ORR ~ DeanB ~ 70D+ML111B

chmteacher

Hi guys, long time follower but just registered. I've been using Alpha4b and wanted to upgrade to 5. I've read the first page of the thread a million times but just want to make sure all I have to do is delete the existing ML folder with autoexec.bat in root then extract the new zip to the SD card. I don't have to uninstall 4b first right? :)

chmteacher

I gave it a shot and just deleted trying 'b' version first. LCD did not display anything when turning it on which was pretty scary. Installed 'a' version and it worked.

a1ex

Quote from: chmteacher on April 23, 2015, 06:07:25 AM
I gave it a shot and just deleted trying 'b' version first. LCD did not when turning it on which was pretty scary.

@nikfreak: you must include this in the B build, to avoid such issues:

-// TODO: add 70D_111B once found
+#define SIG_70D_111B 0xdd6f9eb3

inestima

@nikfreak

thanks for b rev!

Quote@70D_111B owners: Please one of you post a stub-api test logfile. Check your debug menu to find it...

do you still need these log files? do I need to do an fps video test before I run the log or no?

* pertaining to the forum: how do I quote people? I have no quote button at the top right of people's posts... I just have a list beneath my reply of the last 10 posts or so.

kubodhi

Quote from: inestima on April 23, 2015, 12:12:53 PM
* pertaining to the forum: how do I quote people? I have no quote button at the top right of people's posts... I just have a list beneath my reply of the last 10 posts or so.

Once you start your reply, below where you type your comment you'll see the recent posts on the thread, and each will have an "Insert Quote" button.
550D->70D.111A, Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM, Sigma 30mm f/1.4 DC HSM, Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 AT-X116 Pro DX, Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II, YongNuo YN-468 II E-TTL Speedlite With LCD