ProRes 4444 XQ

Started by Midphase, June 28, 2014, 05:55:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

reddeercity

Quote from: martin_a on March 29, 2015, 02:46:03 PM
Is it possible to work on PP CC 2014 with some 4444 XQ files ?
Yes You can import and Edit etc.. but export to ProRes4444XQ is still a problem With Premiere Pro CC 2014 :(
I Tried to down convert to just CC but for some reasons it's no Longer Available though the Creative Cloud Console For Mac
But it there for PC  ??? Make not sense
You can Export to any other Codec with out problem.
The other Big Problem With All the CC 2014 Product ay least for video is I have not access to my Capture Card for external Monitoring >:(
I have Two units, AJA kona LHi 3G & Blackmagic UltraStudio SDI USB 3.0 and neither work in Premiere Pro , A.E. CC 2014 on Mac or PC
There is no problem in Just CC versions on PC & Mac .
And of course no problems with FCPX , Resolve & Autodesk Smoke for Mac.
I Guess I have to get on the phone with Adobe Again to find out the problem , but I think I already know what there are going say :'(
bah bah bah  not problem here.

My two cents worth .

bennyray1

@reddeercity I was able to go into my Creative Cloud Console (Mac) and in the Apps tab I scrolled down to the section where it says Find New Apps, I then changed the filter search to Previous Version and was able to find After Effects CC...not sure if you may have just over looked the filter option...hope this helps.

reddeercity

@bennyray1: Thanks I don't see that,
Ok now I have Premiere Pro CC installed and Yes you can Export To ProRes4444 XQ without any problems.
Not sure way the export render is Broken in CC 2014 (PP & A.E.)

So to Any One  Wishing to Use the ProRes4444 XQ to Export from PP or A.E. must use CC version and Not CC 2014.

anderSF

Hi!

ProRes XQ files, as we know, look different when opened in PP than they did when exported from AE (darker). I know it has something to do with it being a linear format and not rec709 (right?), but I haven't really looked into it or understood it fully. Until now, I've just used a simple curve adjustment to get my shots looking more or less as they did in AE, as I felt the results were still better than with regular 4444.

But there's probably a more scientific way of going about this? If anyone could share the secret and/or help me understand why the files behave as they do it would be super-appreciated  :)

eyeland

No sure if this thread is dead and being continued elsewhere.
I am wondering if ppl are still using the XQ version for ML workflows?
Also, It seems that the 2015 version of the CC apps exhibit the same problem as the 2014 version (getting error on render)
Did anyone ever find a solution for this or do you still have to install the pre-2014 version to encode XQ?
Daybreak broke me loose and brought me back...

DeafEyeJedi

As far as I know that Adobe stopped (not sure why) supporting XQ after the 2014 version.

Hence the reason few of us still use the good old AE 12.2 but exporting/rendering can be brutal at times.
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

reddeercity

There many Ways to get ProRes 444XQ and Yes it the preferred Codec workflow for ML Raw .
First the supported Apps for exporting XQ which include , After Effect CS6 (I Use it, Much Faster then cc) After Effect cc.
Dose not work in After Effect cc 2014 or After Effect cc 2015.  DaVinci Resolve and of course any Apple Product can encode to XQ
(Compressor , Motion , FCPX). But unfortunately apple dose not do a good job of color correction just basic stuff. Unless you use LUTS , maybe.
Basically Adobe broke the QT Writer  in cc 2014 & 2015 , I found the QT/.mov writer and it looks like a just a version change that block the XQ
codec some how , not sure yet being trying to hack the older QT .mov writer from CS6 & cc (version 12).
Which leads me to believe Apple & Blackmagic have a deal going on here & adobe dose not. Who knows !
I also think (have not tried thou) if you have CS5.5 or 5.0 it still should work.

Along with Smart Importer 2 , it make it not to bad to import file , I have done up to 190GB at one time but you need a smoking fast machine (fast CPU)
with fast Large storage ( preferably a Raid) because A.E. is slower then others but with ACR it's far better result then resolve.
190GB that about 6-7 hours  ::) , depending on scene movement & complexity , in the end it's worth it .

arrinkiiii

I just love my ProRes 4444 XQ in Win 7  with Premiere 2015 CC

http://www.miraizon.com/products/codecsoverview.html

reddeercity

Quote from: arrinkiiii on October 19, 2015, 01:12:59 AM
I just love my ProRes 4444 XQ in Win 7  with Premiere 2015 CC
http://www.miraizon.com/products/codecsoverview.html
Yea but it cost $$$ , or it did  and it Only 8 and 10bit no 12 or 16bit like the REAL ProRes 4444 or ProRes 4444XQ.
Read the following  FFmpeg-user Test if ProRes 4444 are real 12bit
It's base on the ffmpeg/ffmbc Source Code , I have Cinematize 2 Pro for Windows Version 2.02.3
The quality is not the same as the Real Deal , at least I think so and so dose others The Miraizon ProRes codec for windows
If 10bit is fine go ahead , but How did you aquire the codec/encoder ??? as of Januray -2015 there stop selling all there products.
and if you do a Google search you will find this out for yourself

http://www.miraizon.com/support/support.html
QuoteMiraizon Final Support Timeline

After nearly 12 years in business, Miraizon will be ending sales and support of its products. We sincerely appreciate the support of all of our loyal customers, some of whom have been with us since 2003.

We will do our best to accommodate the support needs of our valued customers. Here is the timeline we plan to follow.
•Miraizon telephone support (both technical and non-technical) will be available until 5pm California time on Friday, January 30, 2015. After this, we will no longer be able to provide telephone support.
•Miraizon technical email support will be available until 5pm California time on Friday, January 30, 2015. After this, we will no longer be able to provide technical email support.
•Miraizon basic email support will be available until 5pm California time on Friday, February 27, 2015. After this, we will no longer be able to provide email support.
•Miraizon's web site will remain active with technical FAQs and downloads of free updaters through at least the end of February 2015
http://www.miraizon.com/store/store.html

So I guess You will have proved  that you have ProRes4444XQ on your PC and working in Premiere Pro CC 2015 ,
Not that I don't believe you but .......
Unless to bought it before January 2015 ,but the timeline seem off as the Codec wasn't release until late June 2014
so that give them a few mouths to develop it and to start to Market/Sell .

Sorry I don't mean to doubt you  :)

Edit: Did some more searching on the web and it looks like Apple may have shut them down for violating there patents
http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/archive/index.php/t-336323.html

arrinkiiii

lol

easy dude =)  I don't have nothing to prove.  I think you already sad everything and also with the web links that you have write. I don't no if they are 8, 10, 12 or 16 bits... But they work like a charme. From the web site of Miraizon:

Miraizon ProRes Codec Features

The Miraizon ProRes-compatible codec delivers professional performance and is fully compatible with Apple ProRes codecs.
Support for all 4:2:2 profiles, including Proxy, LT, 422, and HQ
Support for all 4:4:4 profiles, including 4444 and 4444 XQ, with or without alpha channel data
Support for both progressive and interlaced video
Selection of profile and interlacing both programmatically and through a dialog interface
Support for conversions between 4:2:2 and 4:4:4 formats
Support for conversions between 8 bit and 10 bit video formats
Support for all frame sizes from below standard-definition through HD 2K, 4K, and beyond
Support for non-standard frame sizes with automatic padding and cropping
Support for input and output in a wide variety of pixel formats, including 4:2:2 (8/10/16 bits), ARGB (8/16 bits), BGRA, v308, v408, r408, r4fl, and v410

Like i sad, they work very well in Premiere CC 2015  =)

Andy600

I bought the Miraizon codecs for our Windows machine just before they stopped selling them. They are pretty much identical to Apple ProRes (not ffmpeg). I was a bit worried they might not pass QC but not had any issues so far apart from a 30+ second delay before it actual starts encoding.

I'm not sure why Miraizon shut up shop. If there was a patent violation they would have been served an immediate cease and desist notice (as has recently happened to another dev) but they had been going for many years and had a phased EOL program. My guess is they originally licensed ProRes from Apple but it just got too expensive for them to maintain.
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

arrinkiiii

Hi Andy,  do you know at bit they operate, V.2 ?  8, 10, 12, 16?

I think that was that, they have been served and have to stop. SAD!

QC = Quality Control?

PaulHarwood856

Hello,

I just wanted to let everyone know that the new Adobe Fall 2015 release now has ProRes 4444 XQ support. Not sure if it is still required to drop the Quicktime files from Final Cut Pro X to the Quicktime folder like Red Deer City did, but I just tested exporting in Premiere Pro, After Effects, and Media Encoder. Flawless.

- Paul Harwood

DeafEyeJedi

Quote from: PaulHarwood856 on December 10, 2015, 06:28:56 PM
Hello,

I just wanted to let everyone know that the new Adobe Fall 2015 release now has ProRes 4444 XQ support. Not sure if it is still required to drop the Quicktime files from Final Cut Pro X to the Quicktime folder like Red Deer City did, but I just tested exporting in Premiere Pro, After Effects, and Media Encoder. Flawless.

- Paul Harwood

Are you serious? It's about friggin' time Adobe ... Care to share some screenshots for verification purposes @PaulHarwood856?

reddeercity

Yes I can confirm ! (Premiere Pro CC 2015) I just exported a Cdng 2.4K Image sequence from a bmcc
for a indie movie I'm working on . Screen Shot from my i7 Hackintoss 

Screen Shot 2015-12-10 at 2.34.07 PM by RedDeerCityTV, on Flickr

dfort

Wait a minute. I just updated Adobe CC and I don't have it.

@reddeercity I see you have Apple Compressor on your system. Maybe ProRes 4444 XQ was installed by an Apple app?

reddeercity

Quote from: dfort on December 10, 2015, 11:40:01 PM
@reddeercity I see you have Apple Compressor on your system. Maybe ProRes 4444 XQ was installed by an Apple app?
No, Apple Compressor did not install anything extra but it is very important to have as that where the codec get extracted from.

I wondering If the Adobe/ProRes4444XQ Hack was making a difference or not
Before the update the only Adobe product the could encode ProRes4444 XQ was A.E. CC (Ver. 12.x)
& A.E. CS6 with the ProResXQ hack . Any CC 2014 & 2015 App broke this hack some how .
so now it works.  :D

Here is a Quick explanation of how I got the ProRes4444XQ to work in Adobe:

"what I did was extracted the codecs from FCPX & or Compressor 4.13 ,
right clicking on the application and going to show contents,
then from show contents went to the plugins folder, from the plug ins folder went to Compressor folder,
then right clicked Compressor.bundle to show package contents,
then went to plugins folder and then went ProMediaIO folder,
then in the components folder copied all the .components and pasted them into my main HD > System>Library >Quicktime
If there no Quicktime folder , make one  That's It nothing else."

The hack start back on "Post #14" End of June/2014  and when on ward from there.

Edit: I updated Premiere Pro cc 2015 today.
Also I'm still on Yosemite OSX 10.10.4

DeafEyeJedi

Good stuff @reddeercity as always and Thanks for your clarifications!

PaulHarwood856

Hey DeafEyeJedi,

Sorry about the delayed response. I saw Reddeercity showed a screenshot that it works. Yeah I'm really pumped now, especially since I now can see how much of a difference this codec is compared to ProRes 4444! It's interesting because I messaged Adobe through chat on their website (phone calls weren't supported that day, I think it was Cyber Monday) and the tech said this is a known problem and should be addressed in the next update. So yeah it's definitely ridiculous it took this long, but at least she held up to her word!

- Paul Harwood

reddeercity

Hello all , just updated Adobe SpeedGrade CC 2015 today and all is well with Apple ProRes 4444XQ exporting there.
I imported some bmcc 2.4k Cdng's  footage , setup color space etc....
Here are some Screen Shots

Merry Xmas  :D

SpeedGrade Version

Screen Shot 2015-12-22 at 9.22.09 PM
by RedDeerCityTV, on Flickr

Rending in Procress

Screen Shot 2015-12-22 at 9.09.27 PM

Quicktime Codec Dropdown menu

Screen Shot 2015-12-22 at 9.07.40 PM

QT Encoder Setting

Screen Shot 2015-12-22 at 9.20.25 PM

PaulHarwood856

Awesome! Thanks for posting Reddeercity. Merry Christmas to you too.

- Paul Harwood

PaulHarwood856

Hello everyone,

I am doing a 48 hour film challenge for fun this upcoming weekend, and am using my 7D for raw video. My Macbook Pro is okay for offloading with MLVFS and converting to ProRes 4444 XQ with After Effects and Camera Raw/VisionLog/Vision Log to REC 709 LUT. However, my friend just made a really beefy computer, but it is Windows platform. He has Adobe CC 2015. Is there any way to make it possible for Windows to support ProRes 4444 XQ video files to edit in Premiere Pro? The only possible way I see so far is Cinemartin (costs money) or somehow making the files I dragged from Final Cut Pro X (or Motion, don't remember which one it was - RedDeerCity showed us on this forum post) compatible on Windows. If anyone has any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it. This would be a lot easier to edit in Premiere Pro on a beefy system with all the ProRes 4444 XQ files. Thanks!

- Paul Harwood

dfort

You can make ProRes files on Windows using ffmpeg. There's some debate whether or not they are "true" ProRes 4444 XQ but they are very high quality.

You can either do it on the command line (I haven't tried it but these should be the right options):
ffmpeg -vcodec prores_ks -pix_fmt yuv444p10 -n -r

Or, much easier, it looks like MLV Producer for Windows should be able to do it:
Quote-Encode to  h264, ProRes, DNxHD, FFVH, JPEG, PNG, TIFF

Good luck on the 48 hour project--this weekend? You must be in the thick of it right now.

mothaibaphoto

1. Mr. Kostya commited their prores_ks to ffmpeg project in 2011.
2. ProRes 4444 XQ announced by Apple in 2014.
3. ???
prores_ks is just old (and good) ProRes422 (HQ), but not ProRes 4444 XQ.
Actually, nothing special with ProRes at all. If you don't have to deliver to your customer in certain format, Cineform on Windows is even better :)

dfort

Quote from: mothaibaphoto on January 17, 2016, 04:30:27 PM
prores_ks is just old (and good) ProRes422 (HQ), but not ProRes 4444 XQ.

I'm not going to argue over which codec is best for Windows, I've never worked with Cineform but heard good things about it. At work I used Avid DNxHD 175x and it is very comparable to ProRes 4444. By the way I've often delivered ProRes files directly from the Linux version of Autodesk Flame.

As far as ProRes 4444 XQ being announced in 2014, that's basically a standard that they announced so everyone can get on the same page concerning color space, bit rate, etc. Note that you probably don't need the alpha channel (the fourth 4 in ProRes 4444 XQ) and with ffmpeg you can set the color space and bit depth but like I said there's some debate whether or not it is "true" ProRes 4444 XQ--it most likely isn't.