MLV raw files native support in Premiere Pro CC!!! (99%) minor glitches

Started by duey101, February 09, 2014, 07:06:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aace

djfremen

What about support for other NLEs? Seems like everyone has creative cloud on the brain here. I would love native AMA support in Media Composer or something for FCP X (I realize FCP7 wouldn't have any use because of ProRes 4444 limitations).

infinitebuzz

Quote from: djfremen on February 12, 2014, 05:20:47 AM
What about support for other NLEs? Seems like everyone has creative cloud on the brain here. I would love native AMA support in Media Composer or something for FCP X (I realize FCP7 wouldn't have any use because of ProRes 4444 limitations).
Hi DJFremen

We do support FCP 7, QuickTime and MediaComposer AMA.  FCP X is under development.  We also support Assimilate Scratch for finishing.

Cheers, James

infinitebuzz

Quote from: aace on February 12, 2014, 05:09:33 AM
I second that. I'd like to cast a vote, please.
The poll just showed up at the top of the topic for me
J

chmee

me too. but what about is the poll now? MLV-Support with some static settings per sequence?
[size=2]phreekz * blog * twitter[/size]

infinitebuzz

Quote from: chmee on February 13, 2014, 05:19:00 PM
me too. but what about is the poll now? MLV-Support with some static settings per sequence?
I think it would be a two parter:
1.  Just MLV/RAW support for Premiere, FCP 7 and MediaComposer
2.  Settings dialog per clip in Premiere (and MediaComposer if possible)
Cheers, J

aace

I think this poll would gain a better gauge of who's interested or not if it weren't apart of the Magic Lantern Forum for two main reasons.

1)There aren't a lot of people who know about this poll, which is only displayed here in this particular post.
2)There are guests of the forums that can't cast a vote.

I believe that a poll outside of the community that can be accessed from anywhere, without signup requirements, will allow for more observations of this question and more participation from others. There obviously must be some form of order to the poll such as one vote per IP address or something along those lines to maintain the integrity of the votes. I also think the features we discussed before should be incorporated somehow into the poll. Here's an example:

Example 1) Is a native Magic Lantern raw/mlv plugin for your favorite NLE necessary to you? Yes or No

Example 2) Would you buy a Magic Lantern raw/mlv plugin, for your favorite NLE, with these features? (list features that would accompany the plugin) Yes or No

Just my thoughts.

reddeercity

Yes you right about the poll,
But my only interest is to see this plugin
Work in Final Cut Pro X 10.1.1,
Final Cut Pro 7 is dead. it's been  dead for
3 years now. I think you will get a better response
To this with fcpx users, just my thoughts .

infinitebuzz

Quote from: reddeercity on February 13, 2014, 06:48:12 PM
Yes you right about the poll,
But my only interest is to see this plugin
Work in Final Cut Pro X 10.1.1,
Final Cut Pro 7 is dead. it's been  dead for
3 years now. I think you will get a better response
To this with fcpx users, just my thoughts .
We are still seeing FCP 7 in larger corporate environments.  FCP-X is a target, but we tend to be getting a lot more interest from Scratch/MC/Premiere users.  Certainly around NAB we will be shipping FCP-X.
Cheers, J

infinitebuzz

Quote from: aace on February 13, 2014, 06:14:20 PM
I think this poll would gain a better gauge of who's interested or not if it weren't apart of the Magic Lantern Forum for two main reasons.

1)There aren't a lot of people who know about this poll, which is only displayed here in this particular post.
2)There are guests of the forums that can't cast a vote.

I believe that a poll outside of the community that can be accessed from anywhere, without signup requirements, will allow for more observations of this question and more participation from others. There obviously must be some form of order to the poll such as one vote per IP address or something along those lines to maintain the integrity of the votes. I also think the features we discussed before should be incorporated somehow into the poll. Here's an example:

Example 1) Is a native Magic Lantern raw/mlv plugin for your favorite NLE necessary to you? Yes or No

Example 2) Would you buy a Magic Lantern raw/mlv plugin, for your favorite NLE, with these features? (list features that would accompany the plugin) Yes or No

Just my thoughts.
That makes a lot of sense.  Also, there is no concept of cost in the poll above.  I am not sure the yes votes realize we are talking about a 99$ cost for the plug in.

Midphase

I also wonder if the people voting "yes" in the poll realize that this wouldn't include ACR controls?

reddeercity

Quote from: infinitebuzz on February 13, 2014, 07:55:45 PM
We are still seeing FCP 7 in larger corporate environments.  FCP-X is a target, but we tend to be getting a lot more interest from Scratch/MC/Premiere users.  Certainly around NAB we will be shipping FCP-X.
Cheers, J
Look forward to using this plugin, thanks  :)

@ Midphase , yes a know there will be not Raw controls, but
fcpx handles raw very well, or I can send the clip to motion 5.0 or A.E. via the "send to" App
on maverick .

duey101

Hmm... I was just experimenting with how to make a poll and clicked the save by mistake and then you can't edit it after that (time wise).  I was going to make it for 30 days.  Even in one day with the answers it is 75% yes. 
Gear: Canon 5D Mark III, 60D, EF 70-200L, EF 85mm, EF 50mm, EF 10-22mm.  Platform: Dual Boot Win 7 Ultimate x64/Mavericks Hackintosh, PPro CC, LR5.

g3gg0

so there is a potential for ~20 people buying it.
2k€ for making a version that "simply does" sounds reasonable.

if you get enough licenses sold, you can roll out an update as clean plugin solution afterwards.
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

infinitebuzz

Quote from: g3gg0 on February 14, 2014, 10:52:51 AM
so there is a potential for ~20 people buying it.
2k€ for making a version that "simply does" sounds reasonable.

if you get enough licenses sold, you can roll out an update as clean plugin solution afterwards.
Hi G3gg0

That does sound like a good idea.  We are looking at making an install and license for just ML in Premiere, MediaComposer, QT, FCP7 (and X eventually).  I am currently travelling, but we should have a better idea when it will be available later this week.  We are also exploring the Premiere dialog option for all our raw types, including ML.  Thanks for all the comments and ideas.

Cheers, James

duey101

Gear: Canon 5D Mark III, 60D, EF 70-200L, EF 85mm, EF 50mm, EF 10-22mm.  Platform: Dual Boot Win 7 Ultimate x64/Mavericks Hackintosh, PPro CC, LR5.

Malex

Quote from: infinitebuzz on February 17, 2014, 05:03:58 PM
We are also exploring the Premiere dialog option for all our raw types, including ML.

+1 buyer for that plugin with at least exposure control, white balance, highlight & shadow.

If it is possible for you to add this controls, would the settings stay there if we use directlink to Speedgrade for fine tuning color correction?

One other great feature would be synced audio with mlv+sound, (or maybe it does that already? I didn't try the demo so I don't know).

Patiently waiting with credit card.

infinitebuzz

Quote from: Malex on February 21, 2014, 12:33:24 PM
+1 buyer for that plugin with at least exposure control, white balance, highlight & shadow.

If it is possible for you to add this controls, would the settings stay there if we use directlink to Speedgrade for fine tuning color correction?

One other great feature would be synced audio with mlv+sound, (or maybe it does that already? I didn't try the demo so I don't know).

Patiently waiting with credit card.
Hi Malex

That looks like its going to happen in the second release for ML and other raw formats.  Yes, I believe SpeedGrade reads through Premiere in this case (a link rather then a direct read).  With the audio, we will automatically pick up side bar WAV or AIFF files (from field recorders).  We have added some support for the audio in MLV, but we don't have any samples yet.  We are going to make some with our camera here, but we also want some from out of house, if anyone is willing to share.

Cheers, James

Malex

All this sound great, it will put an end to all questions about which workflow is the best!
Shoot RAW --> Edit RAW --> Color RAW --> Export
No more dng, dpx or prores etc.. Just having .raw and .mlv will save us a lot of space! Thanks for making this happen :)

eyeland

Any thoughts on system load implications of a native Raw workflow?
What kind of specs are we talking for realtime playback with and without CUDA/openCL?
Daybreak broke me loose and brought me back...

Malex

Quote from: eyeland on February 26, 2014, 08:18:39 AM
Any thoughts on system load implications of a native Raw workflow?
What kind of specs are we talking for realtime playback with and without CUDA/openCL?

Obviously CPU is important, at least 16gb of ram, a cuda card for premiere, but the most important thing I think is the hard drives, you need to set them well, if you have 4 of them it'd be great.
1 ssd for system and apps
1 raid0 of many hdd would be great for footage.
1 for media cache, preview files, windows paging file.
1 for export.
If all are ssd at least you know there mignt not be bottleneck of data happening. But of course it's expensive :O

Nang

Quote from: Malex on February 26, 2014, 09:27:07 AM
Obviously CPU is important, at least 16gb of ram, a cuda card for premiere, but the most important thing I think is the hard drives, you need to set them well, if you have 4 of them it'd be great.
1 ssd for system and apps
1 raid0 of many hdd would be great for footage.
1 for media cache, preview files, windows paging file.
1 for export.
If all are ssd at least you know there mignt not be bottleneck of data happening. But of course it's expensive :O

Not to stray off topic, but I'm looking to build a desktop to handle raw/dng files and would be this be an okay hard drive setup?

1 ssd(256gb) for OS/apps
1 ssd(128gb) for media cache, preview files
2x 7200rpm 2TB HDD in raid 0 for raw/footage/dng
1 HDD (something like 3 or 4TB 5400rpm) for exports/misc stuff

I can't afford to have all SSD drives, but I do have 1 SSD as my OS right now so I figure to get another SSD and few HDD.

Thanks
Portfolio: somnang.4ormat.com | Video: https://vimeo.com/somnang
Prime: Olympus Zuiko OM 24mm f/2.8 | Rokinon Cine 85mm T/1.5 | Pentax SMC Takumar 50mm f/1.4 | Helios 44-2 58mm f/2.0 | Jupiter 37A 135mm f/3.5
Zoom: Meteor 5-1 17-69mm f/1.9, Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8, Tamron 24-70mm Di VC f/2.

reddeercity

Just make sure you backup your Raid 0 , if you lose 1 drive you loose the Raid  :'(
and all data loss. Maybe look at a Raid5 minimum 3 drive, 4 drives would better
and if you loose a drive you are Ok not to mention the increase in speed.
That's my setup Raid5 R/W 425MB/s 450MB/s  :D
Most hi-end Mother board support raid 5, Just my two cents worth.   

Nang

Quote from: reddeercity on February 27, 2014, 10:42:58 PM
Just make sure you backup your Raid 0 , if you lose 1 drive you loose the Raid  :'(
and all data loss. Maybe look at a Raid5 minimum 3 drive, 4 drives would better
and if you loose a drive you are Ok not to mention the increase in speed.
That's my setup Raid5 R/W 425MB/s 450MB/s  :D
Most hi-end Mother board support raid 5, Just my two cents worth.

Hmm that sounds like a good setup, but I won't be able to afford so many drives to do one Raid. Is Raid 0 that unreliable? I currently have 5 external hard drives (I like to backup my backups  :D)
Portfolio: somnang.4ormat.com | Video: https://vimeo.com/somnang
Prime: Olympus Zuiko OM 24mm f/2.8 | Rokinon Cine 85mm T/1.5 | Pentax SMC Takumar 50mm f/1.4 | Helios 44-2 58mm f/2.0 | Jupiter 37A 135mm f/3.5
Zoom: Meteor 5-1 17-69mm f/1.9, Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8, Tamron 24-70mm Di VC f/2.

reddeercity

No Raid 0 is find as long as you Have backup, I never have lost a Raid 0 yet, but the possible is there.
you could also look at a raid 0+1 which is just a mirrored raid 0 which there again you need 4 drives
but there is redundancy there. One more option is to look at 10,000 rpm WD VelociRaptor 600gb I run them in my
Server , Workstation &  my Older MacPro. There are Cheap now days, just a thought. :)