Canon 50D

Started by ayshih, January 07, 2014, 03:38:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ayshih

It's not exactly a "new" port, but after a few weeks of unavailability, the 50D is supported again in Magic Lantern!  I'll be maintaining it, such as fixing bugs and also backporting remaining improvements from Tragic Lantern.  Nightly builds are available again from http://builds.magiclantern.fm/#/, so I encourage all interested parties to download the latest builds and provide feedback.  You can add issues on Bitbucket or just comment here.  Thanks!

Installation:
1) Format the card from the camera.
2) Make sure you are running Canon firmware 1.0.9.
3) Copy ML files on the card and run Firmware Update.

Uninstallation:
1) Run Firmware Update from your ML card.
2) Follow the instructions.

Canon EOS 50D | 17–40mm f/4L & 70–300mm f/4.5–5.6 DO IS | Lexar 1066x

truespinmice

Downloaded. Testing in progress... :)

Canon Amateur

Downloaded and installed it. It runs with no problems.
The changelog doesn't show anything.
Is there some specific feature you would like to be tested ?
Canon EOS 7D / Canon 1D Mark III / Lytro illum

Walter Schulz

ayshih

Quote from: Canon Amateur on January 07, 2014, 03:13:38 PM
The changelog doesn't show anything.
Is there some specific feature you would like to be tested ?

It'd probably more instructive to look at the Bitbucket commit history, because each nightly build's changelog only shows the changes from the previous nightly build (attempt).  I believe the only recent 50D-specific change was to add a warning if the FPS gets locked to 22, likely due to overheating.  But, changes not specific to the 50D need to be tested as well: for example, over the past few weeks when it was not possible to download a nightly build for the 50D, there have been tweaks to the mlv_rec module, and it's always good to make sure that nothing was inadvertently broken on the 50D side.  Tonight's build, when generated, will include improvements to the information displayed during LiveView.  Test away!

truespinmice

Yesterday build (07.01.2014) works OK for me. I have tested a some main features and they were OK.

thehadgi

Nice! Awesome man thanks keep up the good work :)

rommex

Quote from: ayshih on January 07, 2014, 03:38:12 AM
It's not exactly a "new" port, but after a few weeks of unavailability, the 50D is supported again in Magic Lantern!  I'll be maintaining it, such as fixing bugs and also backporting remaining improvements from Tragic Lantern.  Nightly builds are available again from http://builds.magiclantern.fm/#/, so I encourage all interested parties to download the latest builds and provide feedback.  You can add issues on Bitbucket or just comment here.  Thanks!

Hey man.

Are you still interested in feedback about the ML port?

ayshih

Definitely!  In particular, you should test out tonight's nightly builds because I added two important commits:

• TL backport: display filters (ML grayscale preview, anamorphic, etc.) work now
  • mlv_rec: global draw is restored after finishing a recording
But test everything else too!

rommex

Quote from: ayshih on February 13, 2014, 05:29:54 PM
Definitely!  In particular, you should test out tonight's nightly builds, once they are built (will be magiclantern-v2.3.NEXT.2014Feb14.50D109.zip), because I added two important commits:

• TL backport: display filters (ML grayscale preview, anamorphic, etc.) work now
  • mlv_rec: global draw is restored after finishing a recording
But test everything else too!

Yep I was testing it today.

Regarding the Global Draw. It tends to disappear after 3-5 recordings. I was able to reproduce the problem like this:

- turn on the camera \ LiveView
- first recording
- turn off the RAW recording in the movie menu
- recording "Standard" to .mov. Global Draw is ok
- turn back on RAW recording in the movie menu. now when you push Rec button you have 2 black stripes on the top and the bottom, BUT ALL INFO IS GONE
- on the next RAW recording, even black stripes are gone, visible is the whole screen with aspect ratio 4:3 or whatever

This is repeatable.

ayshih

Because of the new memory backend, the nightlies were just rebuilt.  As long as you download the nightly that says "Built on: 2014-02-13 15:16:33 -0500" (or the equivalent time in a different time zone), you will have all of the recent changes.

rommex

Quote from: ayshih on February 13, 2014, 10:38:12 PM
Because of the new memory backend, the nightlies were just rebuilt.  As long as you download the nightly that says "Built on: 2014-02-13 15:16:33 -0500" (or the equivalent time in a different time zone), you will have all of the recent changes.

Sorry, it was my mistake. I checked the .zip file - that is it! I wrote earlier about the GD.

ayshih

Thanks for your testing report!  However, I'm not sure I understand your steps.

Quote from: rommex on February 13, 2014, 10:22:12 PM
Regarding the Global Draw. It tends to disappear after 3-5 recordings. I was able to reproduce the problem like this:

- turn on the camera \ LiveView
- first recording
This first recording is using mlv_rec (as opposed to raw_rec)?  Is global draw set to "OFF" within mlv_rec?  What is the global draw behavior like?

- turn off the RAW recording in the movie menu
- recording "Standard" to .mov. Global Draw is ok
- turn back on RAW recording in the movie menu. now when you push Rec button you have 2 black stripes on the top and the bottom, BUT ALL INFO IS GONE
This just sounds like the normal behavior with mlv_rec with global draw set to "OFF" (the default setting).  That is, during the recording, global draw is disabled to improve the speed.  After you stop the recording, does global draw get restored?

- on the next RAW recording, even black stripes are gone, visible is the whole screen with aspect ratio 4:3 or whatever
I'm not sure why there'd be a difference in black stripes, but again, this sounds like the default behavior of disabling global draw during recording.

Did you start with a completely clean install of the nightly (e.g., no old settings files)?  Do you see different behavior when using TL?

rommex

Quote from: ayshih on February 14, 2014, 05:20:18 AM
Thanks for your testing report!  However, I'm not sure I understand your steps....

Did you start with a completely clean install of the nightly (e.g., no old settings files)?  Do you see different behavior when using TL?

Sorry if I was not clear.

INITIAL STATE: absolutely clean nightly after card formatting.

Turn on the camera. Turn on RAW recording with GD Allow. Several recordings go fine.

Then just switch recording from RAW to Standard. Recordings go fine as well, nothing changes.

Then I switch back to RAW recording (1584x892), making sure GD is set to Allow.

Now the GD during recording of RAW video starts to disappear. At first all texts and GD is gone, then the stripes disappear, so that while recording you do not have HD aspect ratio. It's a clean screen basically, with a camera sign and timer.

And yes, TL behaves the same way (( But if I use raw_rec not mlv_rec, this problem does not exist.

Another glitch: when zoomed x5 the screen flickers, when x10 it is ok, Have to turn zoom x5 off to avoid that. TL has slightly different glitch -- it is not flickering, it just goes b/w with an ugly low resolution, only x5 zoom.

a1ex

What nightly version did you try? (write down the changeset from the Help tab in menu).

rommex

Quote from: a1ex on February 14, 2014, 09:05:53 AM
What nightly version did you try? (write down the changeset from the Help tab in menu).

2f8e17918964 (unified) tip

a1ex

That one is before ashih's commits, look it up here: https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/commits/all?page=2

and click on the changesets button on the nightly page to see what's included.

rommex

Sorry, I wanted to help but I'm not too much knowledgeable in these commit things.  :-[

I'll just download the latest build and test again.

rommex

Just tested the nightly ae5eb91aa8c0 (unified) tip

The problem remains.

In short: after switching off and on the RAW MLV recording, GD (partly) desappears during recording, even though GD is ON.

See the shot during the recording:

The upper info and black stripe is gone, below is only waveform, no info.

ayshih

Quote from: rommex on February 14, 2014, 08:31:53 AM
Turn on the camera. Turn on RAW recording with GD Allow. Several recordings go fine.

Then just switch recording from RAW to Standard. Recordings go fine as well, nothing changes.

Then I switch back to RAW recording (1584x892), making sure GD is set to Allow.

Now the GD during recording of RAW video starts to disappear. At first all texts and GD is gone, then the stripes disappear, so that while recording you do not have HD aspect ratio. It's a clean screen basically, with a camera sign and timer.
Thanks for the clarifications and your later screenshot!  I now understand and can reproduce the issue, so I (and others) can look into fixing it.  I've been testing primarily with GD set to "OFF" in mlv_rec, so I hadn't noticed this issue with GD set to "Allow".  This is precisely why it's so useful to get testing feedback from many people.  My guess is that this is not a 50D-specific issue, but a broader issue with mlv_rec.

Quote from: rommex on February 14, 2014, 08:31:53 AM
Another glitch: when zoomed x5 the screen flickers, when x10 it is ok, Have to turn zoom x5 off to avoid that. TL has slightly different glitch -- it is not flickering, it just goes b/w with an ugly low resolution, only x5 zoom.
You didn't say so explicitly, but can you confirm that flickering glitch is no longer present in the latest nightly build?  What you were seeing in the TL build (blocky, grayscale preview in crop mode) is what you should now be seeing in the ML build, and is the default behavior (preview is set to "Auto" in mlv_rec).  You can set preview to "Canon" in mlv_rec to get the normal Canon preview, but the framing is off in crop mode.  The Canon x5 preview shows only a portion of the image that will actually be saved.

rommex

Quote from: ayshih

Not at all, man. I'm glad to make a tiny contribution to the big ML thing. Cannot promise a thorough test, but I am certainly willing to test against my workflow.

You are right, the second glitch is gone -- and the "ugly" bw picture indeed replicates the crop mode view. Amazing!
The only drawback is that when I start recording in cropped mode the bw picture on the screen is renewed approx at 1 FPS rate. VERY slow. If you need more detailes about this, I can shoot a small video. Let me know.

And thanks for your efforts! (I am a fan of TL and it will be great to bring its benefits into ML homeland).

50Deezil

Any news on the progress with the 50D Global Draw issue?  I've had issues with my 50D locking up on me, which never happened before.  This was with the March 9, 2014 build.

ayshih

Quote from: 50Deezil on March 18, 2014, 03:00:45 AM
Any news on the progress with the 50D Global Draw issue?
If you're referring to rommex's specific issue, I haven't yet put in appreciable effort to track down the bug, so the short answer is no.  Are you having other issues with Global Draw?

Quote from: 50Deezil on March 18, 2014, 03:00:45 AM
I've had issues with my 50D locking up on me, which never happened before.  This was with the March 9, 2014 build.
Can you reproduce these lockups, or at least provide some more information about what you were doing?  Can you try the latest nightly build?  There was a bunch of cleaning up of the ML code just after the March 9 nightly.

zenclimber

Hi ayshih,

Thanks for your work on 50D. Currently i own a 60D and 5Diii. Unfortunately the 60D's RAW capabilities are not that good due to slow SD card writing.

Just as an opinion, would you suggest getting a 50D as a "cheap" RAW B-roll camera as company for my 5D as the main camera? Of course, cheap is relative  :). Since i don't own a 50D yet, do the two combine good together, feature wise?

ayshih

I actually rarely use my 50D for video, so I can't give an informed opinion.  There are plenty of others  on this forum who do, so hopefully one of them can chime in!