MlRawViewer 1.3.3 (CDNG/MLV/RAW Viewer & Encoder, Linux/Mac/Win)

Started by baldand, December 09, 2013, 06:10:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

budafilms

Quote from: baldand on August 08, 2014, 11:07:54 AM
Press Y, or click the red circle to start processing the export queue.

In the next version this will happen by default.

This tool is absolutely amazing.
I work on sets and it's absolutely useful, I'm Really impressed in the same level as ML is.

A questions: the DNG created to work in Davinci or ACR, it's the same as for example, MLV Mystic or Magic Raw? Or I have to know something about quality?

Thanks and congrats!

baldand

MlRawViewer 1.2.0 available for testing

1.2.0 did not produce ACR-compatible DNGs. Replaced by 1.2.1. See http://magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=9560.msg125253#msg125253

N/A

7D. 600D. Rokinon 35 cine. Sigma 30 1.4
Audio and video recording/production, Random Photography
Want to help with the latest development but don't know how to compile?

Danne

Thanks a lot Andrew. You are really good at this. This is one funky app. The manual fps toggling works fenomenal. Additional changes also makes the app even more professional now.
I created some fast Mlrawviewer exports to log setting in 2560x1090(2,5k) using the 24fps setting on mlvmystic converted dual iso dngs and the results are really awesome.
However, if proceeding with ideas on working and converting dual iso movie files I think something has to be done in high contrast situations(see last clip in the sky, highlights are blown out?). Also some sort of setting which would handle some of the purple and green fringing which can be handled something similar like in adobe camera raw. Of course, this is simply ideas and suggestions.
Thanks a lot.

Compression a bit high on youtube it seems.

UPDATE* Last clip in the movie got is a NON dual iso file. I got them mixed up. The highlights are NOT clipped as in the movie with dual iso files with the same motif. 

budafilms

Quote from: baldand on August 09, 2014, 04:35:02 PM
MlRawViewer 1.2.0 available for testing

Windows: https://bitbucket.org/baldand/mlrawviewer/downloads/MlRawViewer_1_2_0_win32.zip
Mac: https://bitbucket.org/baldand/mlrawviewer/downloads/MlRawViewer_1_2_0_mac.dmg

New builds are available and would need some testing. These include a few changes since 1.1.7:

• FPS override. Press Shift-F to cycle through some alternative frame rates (23.976,24,25,29.97,30,48,50,60) instead of the clip's native rate. The new rate is persisted and used for exporting DNGs and MOVs.
  • Better ActiveArea handling. This should prevent black borders being seen in full frame silent picture MLVs
  • Persistent per-clip settings. Brightness, balance, in/out marks, tone map, external audio file, audio file offset and frame index are written to a ".MRX" file companion for each clip file
  • FFMPEG export parameters read from text files (see earlier message for more details)
  • Export queue processing on by default. This means export will begin as soon as pressing E
  • Fix for OS X crash when exporting DNG with stripe correction
  • Fix for flickering when playing clip while exporting with stripe correction
  • Windows build changed not to use self contained exe to startup faster
Please report any problems you see.

ACR: Could not complete your request because Photoshop does not recognize this type of file.
Could not complete the command because the file appears to be from a camera model which is not supported by the installed version of Camera Raw.
Please visit the Camera Raw help documentation for additional information.

5D mark III
OSX Maverick 10.9.4
MLV 260 MB for testing.
ML build 08/08

I didn't test in DaVinci Resolve Yet, for me the most important.

budafilms

I have other question that I can find in any thread about sofwares to convert MLV or RAW to DNG.

All the DNGs are the same? I mean, 16 bits DNG form MLViewer is the same as 16 bits by MagicRaw or Mystic or Son of Batch?

I think this is a very important question to decide which is more convenient. There's a lot of software around - with advantages and disadvantages depending of the user - but the quality, exposure, - not only the bits - it's something that people like me cannot understand .

THanks!

baldand

Quote from: budafilms on August 09, 2014, 11:29:43 PM

ACR: Could not complete your request because Photoshop does not recognize this type of file.
Could not complete the command because the file appears to be from a camera model which is not supported by the installed version of Camera Raw.
Please visit the Camera Raw help documentation for additional information.

5D mark III
OSX Maverick 10.9.4
MLV 260 MB for testing.
ML build 08/08

I didn't test in DaVinci Resolve Yet, for me the most important.

Thanks for that report. I have a fix already and will make a 1.2.1 build later today which includes it.
(Fix: https://bitbucket.org/baldand/mlrawviewer/commits/3d854b5a370e04de0ba0e645c80750c7f37b3b8a)

There is also a fix for the problem with directories including unicode characters, which was reported on IRC.

baldand

Quote from: budafilms on August 09, 2014, 11:50:43 PM
I have other question that I can find in any thread about sofwares to convert MLV or RAW to DNG.

All the DNGs are the same? I mean, 16 bits DNG form MLViewer is the same as 16 bits by MagicRaw or Mystic or Son of Batch?

I think this is a very important question to decide which is more convenient. There's a lot of software around - with advantages and disadvantages depending of the user - but the quality, exposure, - not only the bits - it's something that people like me cannot understand .

THanks!

I can't comment specifically on the other software, but I gave a more detailed explanation of the DNG paths in MlRawViewer a few posts earlier: http://magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=9560.msg124946#msg124946

Since most of the software you are talking about is freely available for testing, you could spend a bit of time testing them yourself to understand how they differ. Your test material should probably concentrate on more extreme cases, e.g. with clipped highlights in different lighting, and range of ISOs. Then convert to DNG with all different SW available to you using their different modes, and try to push the resulting files in your grading - looking for any early introduction of colour banding, stripes, colour casts, wrongly coloured highlights, etc. Then you could post your findings as a reference also for other people, and raise any problems you find with the SW developers.

budafilms

Quote from: baldand on August 10, 2014, 10:30:07 AM
I can't comment specifically on the other software, but I gave a more detailed explanation of the DNG paths in MlRawViewer a few posts earlier: http://magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=9560.msg124946#msg124946

Since most of the software you are talking about is freely available for testing, you could spend a bit of time testing them yourself to understand how they differ. Your test material should probably concentrate on more extreme cases, e.g. with clipped highlights in different lighting, and range of ISOs. Then convert to DNG with all different SW available to you using their different modes, and try to push the resulting files in your grading - looking for any early introduction of colour banding, stripes, colour casts, wrongly coloured highlights, etc. Then you could post your findings as a reference also for other people, and raise any problems you find with the SW developers.

Thanks for the explanation. I'll do my best!

MLRaw have a " Reset" command to return to Original WB and exposure?

baldand

Quote from: budafilms on August 10, 2014, 11:11:07 AM
Thanks for the explanation. I'll do my best!

MLRaw have a " Reset" command to return to Original WB and exposure?

No. For exposure, this would be a useful addition.

For WB, there is currently no original WB used in RAW or MLV files - only in DNG files if they have the AsShotNeutral tag. Before the recent work of @chmee, there wasn't a good way to map from the WB info in MLV files to R/B multipliers, and I haven't yet taken his findings into use as an initial WB. Personally speaking, I anyway always try to just find a neutral colour in the clip and click that.

budafilms

Quote from: baldand on August 10, 2014, 11:26:58 AM
No. For exposure, this would be a useful addition.

For WB, there is currently no original WB used in RAW or MLV files - only in DNG files if they have the AsShotNeutral tag. Before the recent work of @chmee, there wasn't a good way to map from the WB info in MLV files to R/B multipliers, and I haven't yet taken his findings into use as an initial WB. Personally speaking, I anyway always try to just find a neutral colour in the clip and click that.

Thanks again!

And my last opinion it's about to add for export the last ProRes 4444XQ, that provide all the 16 bits potencial from DNG.

Thanks, I admire your work. I will start a new full length - I was the first using RAW - using your software!

Francis Frenkel

Is there a video / Tuto  showing all the fonctionnalities of your smart software ?
Francis Frenkel
www.ffrenkel.com

Danne

Updated my reply #728. Some confusion on my side regarding highlight clipping due to some mixup with dual iso files and non dual iso files. Highlight handling are OK.
Thanks
/D

baldand

Quote from: Francis Frenkel on August 10, 2014, 11:51:25 AM
Is there a video / Tuto  showing all the fonctionnalities of your smart software ?

Sorry no. The best guide so far is the first post of this thread, (http://magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=9560.msg91165#msg91165) at least that should tell you about all the features and the key commands.

baldand

Quote from: budafilms on August 10, 2014, 11:41:53 AM
And my last opinion it's about to add for export the last ProRes 4444XQ, that provide all the 16 bits potencial from DNG.

That will not be possible before ffmpeg gets support for encoding the XQ profile. I have no idea when or if that will happen.

baldand

barepixels

did not work for me.  I tried to open these Full Res Silent Pics MLV, which were able extracted fine with mlv_dump

1) right click wun as adminstrator
2) a window popup allowing me to choose 00000000.MLV
3) then MlRawViewer just silently disappear.  no sign of crash

5D2 + nightly ML

baldand

Quote from: barepixels on August 10, 2014, 07:07:59 PM
did not work for me.  I tried to open these Full Res Silent Pics MLV, which were able extracted fine with mlv_dump

1) right click wun as adminstrator
2) a window popup allowing me to choose 00000000.MLV
3) then MlRawViewer just silently disappear.  no sign of crash

Please check the mlrawviewer.log file. It's now moved into the ".mlrawviewer" sub-directory in your user directory. That might give a clue about the problem.

Danne

Dng:s open fine in acr converting raw to dng in version 1.2.1   :)
I have a problem creating a "new folder" when choosing location. Anybody else experiencing this? I,m on mac Os X mavericks 10.9.4
Good work!

budafilms

Quote from: Danne on August 10, 2014, 08:10:39 PM
Dng:s open fine in acr converting raw to dng in version 1.2.1   :)
I have a problem creating a "new folder" when choosing location. Anybody else experiencing this? I,m on mac Os X mavericks 10.9.4
Good work!

Exactly. The Menu for Create a Folder not work.

Other things:
- DAVINCI RESOLVE 11: When I open the DNG, unexpected Quit. I did the DNG from MLV Mystic, and no problem. I repeat the test with other MLV files from this software and quit. This is a big one. LOG FILE: https://www.dropbox.com/s/chfrvmdf5ucsap2/davinci_resolve.log

New Version.
- The menu (finder) sometimes dissapiring
- When you closed the software, appear "unexpectedly Quit" dialog "for send to apple".
- When you touch any part of the image (not only for change Exposure or RGB colours in the right) change all the image and I insist Have to stay a shortcut - or UNDO - to return to the initial opened file, with the origin COLOR-EXPOSURE. Because if you don't like the color or exposure that you are looking for, have to close the file and open again (?!).
- The color that you change, when you open again the file, maintain the last setting. This is too bad. No undo or reset button. Practically, you lost the file in the mistake you can do.
- Cosmetic: When you press W, the dialog it's just behind the software layout and you have to move all. Bring to front?

barepixels

Quote from: baldand on August 10, 2014, 07:16:36 PM
Please check the mlrawviewer.log file. It's now moved into the ".mlrawviewer" sub-directory in your user directory. That might give a clue about the problem.

MlRawViewer v1.2.1
(c) Andrew Baldwin & contributors 2013-2014
Using GLFW
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<string>", line 1985, in main
  File "c:\Projects\MRV\build\mlrawviewer_win\out00-PYZ.pyz\MlRaw", line 1318, in loadRAWorMLV
  File "c:\Projects\MRV\build\mlrawviewer_win\out00-PYZ.pyz\MlRaw", line 611, in __init__
TypeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute '__getitem__'
Could not open file D:/2014-07-26-Sillence-Full-MLV-AETTR/00000000.MLV. Error:'NoneType' object has no attribute '__getitem__'
5D2 + nightly ML

swinxx

hi, i tried some mlv 5d mk3 conversion with the the latest version of mlrawviewer 1.2.1
works great here, but when i import the footage into davinci resolve, the program crashed while working with the material.
that is strange because it happens unintentionally. (not from the very beginning but suddenly within the working process. (when working with the material) the video preview window freezes and the program stops to work. but not from the very beginning. (after i don't know.. one minute? or so)
i don't know if it is a problem with the converted material, but it always freezes when the new material is previewed, and i did not have such a problem with other material (converted with 1.1.7)
my resolve version: 11
my mac osx: 10.9.4

greets. sw

baldand

Quote from: barepixels on August 10, 2014, 10:49:21 PM
MlRawViewer v1.2.1
(c) Andrew Baldwin & contributors 2013-2014
Using GLFW
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<string>", line 1985, in main
  File "c:\Projects\MRV\build\mlrawviewer_win\out00-PYZ.pyz\MlRaw", line 1318, in loadRAWorMLV
  File "c:\Projects\MRV\build\mlrawviewer_win\out00-PYZ.pyz\MlRaw", line 611, in __init__
TypeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute '__getitem__'
Could not open file D:/2014-07-26-Sillence-Full-MLV-AETTR/00000000.MLV. Error:'NoneType' object has no attribute '__getitem__'

Thanks. My guess here is that one or more of the later files in the sequence is missing the normal MLV header chunk, which is usually (I mean in all MLV files produced by mlv_rec) in all the files.

To test this theory, you could try this:

- Move or rename the .M02 file, then try to open the MLV file again
- IF that doesn't work, also move or rename the .M01 file, then try again
- Repeat step above with .M00 file.

If it only works with the MLV file, then I would say there is a bug in the full res silent pics code. It is not writing a file header section in subsequent files after the initial .MLV.

baldand

Quote from: budafilms on August 10, 2014, 09:19:03 PM
Exactly. The Menu for Create a Folder not work.

Other things:
- DAVINCI RESOLVE 11: When I open the DNG, unexpected Quit. I did the DNG from MLV Mystic, and no problem. I repeat the test with other MLV files from this software and quit. This is a big one. LOG FILE: https://www.dropbox.com/s/chfrvmdf5ucsap2/davinci_resolve.log

New Version.
- The menu (finder) sometimes dissapiring
- When you closed the software, appear "unexpectedly Quit" dialog "for send to apple".
- When you touch any part of the image (not only for change Exposure or RGB colours in the right) change all the image and I insist Have to stay a shortcut - or UNDO - to return to the initial opened file, with the origin COLOR-EXPOSURE. Because if you don't like the color or exposure that you are looking for, have to close the file and open again (?!).
- The color that you change, when you open again the file, maintain the last setting. This is too bad. No undo or reset button. Practically, you lost the file in the mistake you can do.
- Cosmetic: When you press W, the dialog it's just behind the software layout and you have to move all. Bring to front?

Thanks for the feeedback.

I see problems reading the audio file in the Resolve log. Can you manually delete the WAV file from within the DNG export difrectory before opening it with Resolve, and see if that still crashes?

UNDO/REDO stack and reset option seem like good possible features for the next version now that there is clip setting persistance. I'll look into that.