Tragic Lantern for EOS M

Started by coutts, April 17, 2013, 01:43:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

maxotics

Quote from: jerrykil on November 11, 2013, 11:24:15 PM
try a newer build: http://tl.bot-fly.com
site moves on Nov 19th so there is going to be about a week of downtime there. i'll have to use dropbox or something gross

Do you want $ contributions for hosting fees?  What you're doing is fantastic and much needed!

jerrykil

Quote from: maxotics on November 11, 2013, 11:49:48 PM
Do you want $ contributions for hosting fees?  What you're doing is fantastic and much needed!
Suuure, everyone wants money! LOL. Could you donate to ML in general, instead? I'll keep doing this cuz i'm a nerd, but building stuff and posting it online is tiny compared to reverse engineering and making the code. I'd hate to think 1% lives on pizza and hot pockets while I'm taking donations for compiling and posting his code.

Escaperoute

Any news on HDR video app that work only for mac to windows

1%

Quote1%, your thoughts?  For example, what features are on your to-do list?

I always run the most recent compile. Audio is on my todo list and as well as finding out why ETTR breathes when there is a bright light + dual iso.

I should make a general release notes somewhere tho, with known issues and "things not to do".

creisti86

Hello, I recently installed ML from a nightly build (version 2013Oct31) on my EOS M.
Since then I have uninstalled it because of a bug: The camera froze in a state with the orange led turned on if I took photo bursts (in continuous mode). This happened even if I took only 2 photos continuously.

After I forgot the camera in that state for a night, found it in the morning in the same state being warm to the touch and decided to uninstall the software to prevent damage to the camera. It seams to be working fine since then.

I wasn't very interested in raw video functionality but I liked the features it offered like intervalometer (for timelapse), zebras and zoom focus peaking, but that behavior made me decide it wasn't worth it.

Has anybody else encountered this problem? If so, is the problem fixed in another version? Anything else I should be aware of?

jerrykil

Quote from: creisti86 on November 12, 2013, 05:14:25 PM
After I forgot the camera in that state for a night, found it in the morning in the same state being warm to the touch and decided to uninstall the software to prevent damage to the camera. It seams to be working fine since then.
Duude(tte),
If your camera locks up, take out the battery!!! That's like the only thing you have to be careful with. I've never had a problem with continuous shooting mode, but i know gary has had some problems with dot_tune module. Although dot_tune isn't supported, it still gets built as a standard module and may have been included in your build. Generally, i keep modules that I don't use unloaded.

I apologize dot_tune keeps creeping back in....

EDIT: just checked http://tl.bot-fly.com/builds_2013.10/tragiclantern-Tragic.2013Oct31.EOSM202.zip and it doesn't have dot_tune, so i don't really know what is goin on with your orange LED. It's alpha software so reboot and try again :P

jerrykil

Dev ppls,

I'd really love to see an update addressing advanced bracketing.

pretty please?

creisti86

Quote from: jerrykil on November 12, 2013, 09:46:16 PM
Duude(tte),
If your camera locks up, take out the battery!!! That's like the only thing you have to be careful with.
Yeah, I know, but actually I wasn't the one taking those last pictures. I should be more careful with this things...

So I guess it's just luck? I thought that asking here might save me some hours of research. I'll see what that dot_tune module is all about. Thanks for the info, (also, I'm a dude :) )

If anybody else experienced camera lock-up when shooting continuous and has any idea how to fix it, please let me know.

lozw

small issue I noticed.

If you enable Movie Crop mode in movie, then when shooting a still image you get a warning message on the AF Focus Method screen saying
"AF method restricted when digital zoom is enabled" and you can't select Flexizone AF.

This persists even if you boot without ML using another card.

It only goes away when you go back to movie settings in ML and turn crop mode off.

funkysound

Were could I get the new alpha versions for the EOS M now? I can´t reach the old sever any more.
EOS 600d, Tamron 17-50mm 2,8 with stab., Tamron 70-300mm, Canon 50mm 1:1,8, Sigma 10-20mm 4-5,6, Sigma 30mm 1,4,  EOS M with 18-55mm, 22mm and EF adapter, tons of more glases incl. FD/FL, EOS 70D, Canon 18-135mm STM

maxotics

Quote from: funkysound on November 19, 2013, 04:00:21 PM
Were could I get the new alpha versions for the EOS M now? I can´t reach the old sever any more.

I updated my starter set with a build from 11/09.  You can find a link to it on this page.  Jerykil warned the server might be down for a few weeks.  Hopefully it'll come back.

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=8825.msg82945#msg82945

Or

http://maxotics.com/software/downloading.aspx?file=EOSM_MLStarterSet.zip

jordancolburn

Anybody know the status on the pink dot remover for RAW video?  I just got an EOS-M for b-cam/personal shots and was excited to try RAW with the faster card reads than my t3i.  I tried the PDR in maxotics package but it didn't seem to do anything.  Would it be worth trying to edit the PDR eosm file or I could also try to code a simple pink dot remover/raw2dng python batch runner.

jerrykil

Quote from: maxotics on November 19, 2013, 09:00:28 PM
I updated my starter set with a build from 11/09.  You can find a link to it on this page.  Jerykil warned the server might be down for a few weeks.  Hopefully it'll come back.

Or

Hey guys,
the nightly site should come back up in a couple days. i apologize if i said a couple weeks earlier.
Also, got some good news. I was able to fix my laptop so i should be able to continue building nightlies from wherever i may be! I just opened it up, cleaned everything out, took out the logic board and reapplied the heatsink. if you're going to venture into a macbook pro internals, i would be careful since ifixit didn't include the somewhat hidden microphone connector in their guide. That was fun to figure out :\

Quote from: funkysound on November 19, 2013, 04:00:21 PM
You're not missing much, the dev's havent made any commits in a couple days. I'd love for better advanced bracketing w/ autofocus =D. i know you're reading this 1%

jerry

maxotics

Quote from: jordancolburn on November 19, 2013, 09:18:01 PM
Anybody know the status on the pink dot remover for RAW video?  I just got an EOS-M for b-cam/personal shots and was excited to try RAW with the faster card reads than my t3i.  I tried the PDR in maxotics package but it didn't seem to do anything.  Would it be worth trying to edit the PDR eosm file or I could also try to code a simple pink dot remover/raw2dng python batch runner.

The status of PDR is the first two devs are gone and it doesn't look like they're coming back. Rewind knows a bunch, but we (I) probably drove him away in aggravation (he doesn't use an EOS-M). 

If you're shooting in crop mode, which I strongly suggest with the EOS-M, then the "PDR Rewind for EOS-M crop" should work, but pick "EOSM" in the drop-down (not crop mode).  If you're not shooting crop mode, the "Original" build should work.

I developed my own pink dot remover.  It does crop mode only now, but could do others.  I open-sourced it and put it here.  It wore me out.  It could be vastly improved.

https://bitbucket.org/maxotics/focuspixelfixer

If you drag a RAW file onto it, it makes a copy, and then interpolate around the pixels using my own screwy logic ;)

I had a bitch, bitch, bitch of a time figuring out how the RAW files were encoded.  So the source should save a you a lot of grief there if you want to use Python.  That was actually my first choice, but I couldn't get Pillow installed.   Unless you're super genius, you'll find little "simple" with this stuff.

Feel free to PM me with any questions, or ask them here.

gary2013

where you at with it, Max? On hold, progressing, given up? I hope you succeed with it for the M so I can shoot raw easier and quit trying to sell my M.

Gary

maxotics

Hi Gary.  I bit the bullet and a BMPCC should come tomorrow.  I don't see any leadership emerging here and no one wants to follow me ;)  If I were Alex I wouldn't come back. At some point 1% will want a vacation too.  Then we'll have two forks to nowhere.  g3gg0 is happy to build a viewer for 3 people.  I think there are only a few of us doing anything meaningful on the EOS-M.  I'll try to continue with it, and can see getting more interested if the 11-22mm lens goes on sale here under $300.  How about you?

These are the things I think need to happen for the camera to gain any traction.

1. Audio is turned back on if you go back to H.264
2. FPS is turned off if you go into photo mode
3. The 11-22mm lens is cheap OR
4. Someone figures out how to reduce the horrible moire in normal shooting mode.
5. The shutter bug is fixed.

gary2013

I want to know how your new Pocket works out. What lens(s) did you get for the Pocket?
You have my email, so write me on it.

jordancolburn

Quote from: maxotics on November 19, 2013, 11:45:05 PM
If you're shooting in crop mode, which I strongly suggest with the EOS-M, then the "PDR Rewind for EOS-M crop" should work, but pick "EOSM" in the drop-down (not crop mode).  If you're not shooting crop mode, the "Original" build should work.

I developed my own pink dot remover.  It does crop mode only now, but could do others.  I open-sourced it and put it here.  It wore me out.  It could be vastly improved.

https://bitbucket.org/maxotics/focuspixelfixer

If you drag a RAW file onto it, it makes a copy, and then interpolate around the pixels using my own screwy logic ;)

I had a bitch, bitch, bitch of a time figuring out how the RAW files were encoded.  So the source should save a you a lot of grief there if you want to use Python.  That was actually my first choice, but I couldn't get Pillow installed.   Unless you're super genius, you'll find little "simple" with this stuff.
Thanks, that should help, I was looking through the raw2dng source and playing with python trying to get to the point where I could play with algorithms to interpolate some pixels, this should help me a lot!

Are the focus pixel addresses in your code for crop mode?

PDR still has issues with blown out areas right? I thought I noticed that in a few of your example videos.

funkysound

Quote from: maxotics on November 19, 2013, 09:00:28 PM

Or

I had this build already but anyway - thanx maxotics
EOS 600d, Tamron 17-50mm 2,8 with stab., Tamron 70-300mm, Canon 50mm 1:1,8, Sigma 10-20mm 4-5,6, Sigma 30mm 1,4,  EOS M with 18-55mm, 22mm and EF adapter, tons of more glases incl. FD/FL, EOS 70D, Canon 18-135mm STM

funkysound

Quote from: maxotics on November 20, 2013, 06:23:25 AM
Hi Gary.  I bit the bullet and a BMPCC should come tomorrow.  I don't see any leadership emerging here and no one wants to follow me ;)  If I were Alex I wouldn't come back. At some point 1% will want a vacation too.  Then we'll have two forks to nowhere.  g3gg0 is happy to build a viewer for 3 people.  I think there are only a few of us doing anything meaningful on the EOS-M.  I'll try to continue with it, and can see getting more interested if the 11-22mm lens goes on sale here under $300.  How about you?

These are the things I think need to happen for the camera to gain any traction.

1. Audio is turned back on if you go back to H.264
2. FPS is turned off if you go into photo mode
3. The 11-22mm lens is cheap OR
4. Someone figures out how to reduce the horrible moire in normal shooting mode.
5. The shutter bug is fixed.

Actually it would help if the ML work on the EOS M does go on - I guess and also know that many canon user professionals already do use the M as the small camera choice beside the 5d Mark x. The M is always with us if we do a job or also for every day private use - my company does use it some times but never with raw till now.
Mainly by always using focus peak, zebra, video restart and some other features which are needed in different situations. So there is almost anything already existing we need for our daily work accept audio - but using ML here is dangerous for professional work because it´s an alpha version with existing bugs. At least I feel so even we never faced a real problem with the M + ML during work.

Escaperoute

Can anyone compile the FocusPixelFixer to useable exe file, I really don't have the resources to compile.

maxotics

Quote from: Escaperoute on November 21, 2013, 11:48:11 AM
Can anyone compile the FocusPixelFixer to useable exe file, I really don't have the resources to compile.

It's here in the bin folder.  Also in my big zip of EOS-M files

https://bitbucket.org/maxotics/focuspixelfixer/src/258dc1804f67b314b94436b5ca02eaae157a0909/bin/Release/?at=master

I haven't pushed it because I'm taking a breather.  Keep in mind it only does crop-mode at moment.  If many people show an interest I'll get myself re-charged.

You drag a RAW file onto it and it will create a copy without the pink dots.   It does not do anything to the original file.

Escaperoute

Thanks for the reply, i've used it and i still have some pink dots in bottom of the frame, and some minor pink dots if i boost the shadows. Could you update the program for better pink dot removal...

maxotics

Quote from: Escaperoute on November 22, 2013, 08:33:56 PM
Thanks for the reply, i've used it and i still have some pink dots in bottom of the frame, and some minor pink dots if i boost the shadows. Could you update the program for better pink dot removal...

Hi, Okay, fixed problems.  I was shortening the loop to find all pixels that was missing last rows/cols.  Also think I improved interpolation a bit.  Also put up an exe in a zip file under downloads.  Again, ONLY does 1280x720.  Let me know what you find, thanks!

https://bitbucket.org/maxotics/focuspixelfixer/downloads