Tragic Lantern for EOS M

Started by coutts, April 17, 2013, 01:43:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jerrykil

Quote from: maxotics on October 08, 2013, 03:21:02 PM
I wish he would put the font.dat file in the \data directory!  While I'm here.  I've created a single download of all the basic tools I use with the EOS-M, including one of the later builds.  (1% is there one you recommend as the most stable--I'll replace with that).  You can find it here.  You can also find the fonts.dat file in the build included.

http://maxotics.com/software/downloading.aspx?file=EOSM_MLStarterSet.zip

i'll throw this in the nightly script. thanks for pointing that out

EDIT: i'll post some mac tools you could include in your EOSM_MLStarterSet.zip  pack once i get a chance. great collection so far!

maxotics

Thanks Jeryykil!  That would be great.  I'm also working on an EOS-M Shooter's Guide. 

gary2013

1%,
a few of us have been talking about recording raw with the M camera and how it reaches the 4gb limit rather quickly. That makes it difficult to shoot longer clips in raw like for an interview with someone on camera. Is there any fix for getting around this limit when shooting raw. I am shooting raw 1280 x 72op 24 fps with audio on second system to sync in post. We are aware of the 30 minute or 4gb limit whichever one comes first. I have been searching online and reading as much as I can find on it. Or, is it just not possible at all? I would hate to lose something important in an interview because of this limit. I know some will say to just use another video camera, but our goal is to try and use only the M and raw video all the time for a project in the future.

Best regards,
Gary

edit- also wondering if it is possible to record HDMI out full 1080p to an external recorder as an alternative to raw?

haomuch

1% the 18-55 shutter problem still exist for the 7 Oct build

gary2013

when I shoot raw video, 1280 x 720 crop mode i set the canon menu to be 1920 x 1980 p AND 24 fps. How come when I get the raw files down to tifs in Premiere Pro CC they always show up as 29.98 fps in the properties info and not 24 fps? I know it is 24 fps because the camera shoots continuous. If I shoot at 30 fps, I only get 150 frames recorded, not continuous.

Gary

maxotics

Quote from: haomuch on October 09, 2013, 06:07:07 PM
1% the 18-55 shutter problem still exist for the 7 Oct build

Hi Haomuch, what SD card are you using?  Thanks!

gary2013

I have no shutter bug using the Oct 7 version.

Gary

haomuch

Quote from: maxotics on October 09, 2013, 06:59:21 PM
Hi Haomuch, what SD card are you using?  Thanks!

An 8GB class 10 wifi SD card. Produced by ez share.

maxotics

ML does not advise Eye-fi cards so would think it the same for that card.  Also, it's not a UHS-1 card, so won't do RAW video well.  So far the people who have shutter bug issues are not using what I would recommend for a card

Gary: 128 Komputerbay (factory second)
Malakai: All Class 10 or lower cards
Haomuch: Class 10 and/or wif

1% will have to chime in here if this pattern means anything.  I'm using a Sandisk 95MBS, 8GB in one camera, 32GB in the other, with no shutter bug.

gary2013

Quote from: maxotics on October 09, 2013, 07:07:49 PM
ML does not advise Eye-fi cards so would think it the same for that card.  Also, it's not a UHS-1 card, so won't do RAW video well.  So far the people who have shutter bug issues are not using what I would recommend for a card

Gary: 128 Komputerbay (factory second)
Malakai: All Class 10 or lower cards
Haomuch: Class 10 and/or wif

1% will have to chime in here if this pattern means anything.  I'm using a Sandisk 95MBS, 8GB in one camera, 32GB in the other, with no shutter bug.
update your info on what card I am actually using. it's in my signature here

maxotics

Hi Gary, I saw that but thought you don't have shutter bug with that card?  Just to clarify.  I'll try some long video today by the way...soon.

haomuch

@maxotics I don't use raw video so class 10 card is already enough for me. And I also tried on another class 4 non wifi SanDisk card but the problem remains. I think it's still a firmware and software problem instead of a card problem because it doesn't involve much read and writing process when I just try to release the shutter.

maxotics

Understood, but it may be a read/write buffer issue, if the faster cards don't have a problem.   Sorry if I implied your ML use isn't important :)   

haomuch

Not at all. Just wish the developer could figure out the reason and solve it.

maxotics

@Gary, @1%, I can't record longer than about 55 seconds.  The camera just stops when the RAW file gets to 1.9GB.  I also tried formatting the card as exFAT in Windows, with 4096 block sizes, and that didn't change anything.  I also notice that the camera will auto-format FAT32, so avoided that with PC format.  Anyway, Gary, looks to me you're right.  On my 50D when it reaches 2GB it starts a second R00 file. 

Running October 6th Build, Sandisk 8GB, 95MBS card.

1%

maxotics

1%

Weird, I just compiled new 50D to check and it changes at 4.1GB.

maxotics

My 50D build is old.  Can test new build later though.  I was just talking about EOS-M.

1%

EOSM has a pretty tiny buffer but nothing changed with raw_rec. I'll have to check.

maxotics

It starts filming.  Everything is fine, then about 56 seconds the screen turns off.  When I touch it again, the recording has stopped.  Don't know if screen turning off is related.

1%

It is... also check power save. Both were set to 1 minute and it would stop recording

maxotics

That was it!  I changed LCD- and camera-off to 10 minutes.  Shot continuously for almost 4 minutes and it only stopped because RAW file ended at 7.9GB.  No separate files.  Awesome 1%!  Will try a 5 minute with my 32GB card later and will put that through post.

gary2013

Quote from: maxotics on October 09, 2013, 09:11:41 PM
@Gary, @1%, I can't record longer than about 55 seconds.  The camera just stops when the RAW file gets to 1.9GB.  I also tried formatting the card as exFAT in Windows, with 4096 block sizes, and that didn't change anything.  I also notice that the camera will auto-format FAT32, so avoided that with PC format.  Anyway, Gary, looks to me you're right.  On my 50D when it reaches 2GB it starts a second R00 file. 

Running October 6th Build, Sandisk 8GB, 95MBS card.
Max, make sure you set Canon menu power save to off and 30 minutes. make sure you set Canon to record 1920 x 1080 24 fps, but set your raw to 1280 x720 WITH crop mode on. you should get continuous recording with a vcard that writes at least 40 mb/s. my card does 45 mb/s. now should get 4GB files plus one extra when it reaches the limit and shuts off. then use that command line cpp[y /b file.raw+file.roo new file.raw    I have tried the ML Movie Tweaks Movie Restart and it doesn't work. It always stops at the 4gb file and will not restart. It should lose one or two seconds at the restart but it never does restart.

Gary

gary2013

Quote from: maxotics on October 09, 2013, 09:54:03 PM
That was it!  I changed LCD- and camera-off to 10 minutes.  Shot continuously for almost 4 minutes and it only stopped because RAW file ended at 7.9GB.  No separate files.  Awesome 1%!  Will try a 5 minute with my 32GB card later and will put that through post.
How are you getting 7.9 GB?? read my reply I was typing while you were posting here.

Gary