Tragic Lantern for EOS M

Started by coutts, April 17, 2013, 01:43:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.

gary2013

Quote from: 1% on February 22, 2014, 03:11:38 AM
ok, i'll give it a go.. a bunch went in today from ML

ok, seems to be working after the push today.
MLV Rec is now working again in TL Feb 24.

gary2013

1%,

MLV Rec does not work again using the latest TL Feb 25.
message says  Threads failed to start and the camera hangs requiring a reboot. Sometimes a battery pull is needed.

I unloaded the crypt mo and then MLV Rec worked. We also still need to not load the dot tune module for the camera to work.

feureau

A while ago someone posted a demo of their ML'd camera recording more than 30 min of video. The guy explained that he managed this by holding the timer counter so that it never reached 30 min. And IIRC posted some code snippets. But I can't seem to find the post. Anyone remember this? Thinking of building a module for this. If I could find the stubs, I guess...?


(this is completely different method than the one explored in the "limits be gone" thread)

1%

QuoteI unloaded the crypt mo and then MLV Rec worked. We also still need to not load the dot tune module for the camera to work.

Of course if encryption is on it will take more memory and try to encrypt anything you write to the card. Dot tune you don't load because there are no adjustments for focus in EOSM.

For the 30 minutes... it counts to 1799 frames, its not based on time. Hence you can FPS override and record for hours.

gary2013

Quote from: 1% on February 26, 2014, 06:50:40 PM
Of course if encryption is on it will take more memory and try to encrypt anything you write to the card. Dot tune you don't load because there are no adjustments for focus in EOSM.
then that says something for RAW over MLV since RAW always recorded when MLV choked. [ was in the habit of installing all the modules instead of loading just a few modules. I thought for testing purposes the camera should work with all modules loaded.

1%

You should be able to load a lot... but its like autoexpo + ettr, they're going to fight.

feureau

Quote from: 1% on February 26, 2014, 06:50:40 PM
For the 30 minutes... it counts to 1799 frames, its not based on time. Hence you can FPS override and record for hours.

Is it possible to make sure the count doesn't reach 1799? So we can record without lowering the FPS? Please? :3

Speaking of long duration filming, wasn't there an option to turn off the liveview on ML? Say, you turn on low fps like, 5 sec per frame, and you leave it and it will turn off the live view after a few secs.

Also, about liveviews: did you check the thing I said about under certain settings, liveview does not blank out if you take pics?

Thanks beforehand

1%

I haven't been able to reproduce that but it would be cool.

I've tried to patch the 1799 on a bunch of cameras and its in many places + still stops. There is some counter for sound too. It takes too long to test this whole thing. I think maybe trying it on 50D with the simplest code and tying to make it stop early from the counter might be the way to go.. but there is no way as many cache hacks as are required are going to make it into main.

There are 119 references to "1799" in the EOSM firmware... of those maybe 1/2 are a dword

MobFactory

Hey 1% By any chance do you know a way of enabling Eos Utility on the m. It was blocked by canon even though the usb can eadily support it. Is there a way to make this work or is it coming soon on TL?

1%

its not there so there is no way to re-enable it. instead of a PTP remote control mode they added a mass storage mode like a phone/tablet would have.

It might be interesting to see where stuff is missing via cross referencing a 650D. Its really cruel too as this camera would be great for an installation/helicopter/etc

MobFactory

Quote from: 1% on March 02, 2014, 01:38:19 AM
its not there so there is no way to re-enable it. instead of a PTP remote control mode they added a mass storage mode like a phone/tablet would have.

It might be interesting to see where stuff is missing via cross referencing a 650D. Its really cruel too as this camera would be great for an installation/helicopter/etc

Is there any alternative? an accessory that allows me to use it on my computer?

feureau

Quote from: 1% on March 01, 2014, 05:49:21 PM
I haven't been able to reproduce that but it would be cool.

I just tested it again. Restored my EOS-M to factory setting and set these:

  • Servo AF on
  • Continuous shooting on
  • Custom function IV (page 5): option 2 - AF/AF lock, no AE lock on.

On my EF-M 22mm. (can't seem to reproduce on my other lenses)

Turns out, even if you hold the asterisk down and you just hit the shutter once, it will still blank out. But if you hold the asterisk button, and hit the shutter repeatedly quickly, it will not blank out. Demo: http://youtu.be/WxokUSoAcZk

Quote from: 1% on March 01, 2014, 05:49:21 PM
I've tried to patch the 1799 on a bunch of cameras and its in many places + still stops. There is some counter for sound too. It takes too long to test this whole thing. I think maybe trying it on 50D with the simplest code and tying to make it stop early from the counter might be the way to go.. but there is no way as many cache hacks as are required are going to make it into main.

There are 119 references to "1799" in the EOSM firmware... of those maybe 1/2 are a dword

Damn, that's a lot of 1799 :(

I wish I can find it but I distinctly remember a post from someone who got this working. The guy even posted a video.

1%

Still looks like it blanks out in that video.

feureau

Quote from: 1% on March 02, 2014, 05:36:34 PM
Still looks like it blanks out in that video.

I'll get a better video. If you hit the shutter and let go, it'll still blank out. But if you hit the shutter repeatedly it'll just freeze for like, 1/4th of a second and the feed would continue until you hit the shutter again.

On other settings, you can't hit the shutter again so quickly, it'll not shoot until it blanks out and and recycles.

EDIT:

Continuous feed until it finally blanks out at the end: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wA-UC1Ou-Tg

Note: it's not really obvious on that video, but the live view keeps updating after every shot.

Regular behavior: immediately blanks out after every shot: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZA5fa9CWps

jerrykil

greetings!

I've been having some errors while playing with MLV which generated a handful of crashlogs. I'm just recording and trying to focus with the * key. It only focuses once until I stop and start a new clip. Error occurs when I stop recording. Error logs are here: http://tl.bot-fly.com/misc/crashes
THAAAANKS =D

1%

Yup, I noticed that too. And I was going to actually block focusing while recording for this reason. I don't remember if it worked without "small hacks" but I think it crashes out on me every time I af + raw.

MobFactory

Hi! Sorry its me again. The reason i needed eos utility was to install cinestyle. Do you know any other way to install it. I really need a flatter image and with my 550d its all on eos utility.
Thanks in advance
Me again

1%

I think you can install the picture styles with it, just use a newer eos utility. Thats about all it can do.

dfort

Hi MobFactory,

I suppose you are trying to install the Technicolor CineStyle profile. I just got a new EOS-M and utility software isn't included on the CD. You can download the updater from the Canon website but if you don't have the utility already installed it won't do anything.

I've got a Mac and this worked for me:
http://vimeo.com/72683307

Here are the instructions for Windows:
http://youtu.be/XAB80Syx7Kw

It worked for me and I was able to install CineStyle. Make sure you check out the Technicolor documentation--I had to adjust the saturation after the install:

Sharpness: 0
Contrast: -4
Saturation: -2
Color Tone: 0
ISO: a multiple of the camera's native ISO
(i.e. a multiple of 100 or 160 depending on the camera)

I had no problem using it with Magic (Tragic) Lantern though I doubt it will do anything for you if you're shooting raw.

gary2013

Quote from: jerrykil on March 03, 2014, 04:09:02 PM
greetings!

I've been having some errors while playing with MLV which generated a handful of crashlogs. I'm just recording and trying to focus with the * key. It only focuses once until I stop and start a new clip. Error occurs when I stop recording. Error logs are here: http://tl.bot-fly.com/misc/crashes
THAAAANKS =D
I have always crashed using any build since last July if I try to autofucus when shooting raw.

gary2013

what is the native iso for the M?

pizza-bianca

Hi,
I am planning to do some interviews with my EOS M in two weeks, ... I know it's an old and open question but is there any chance that the Audio Monitoring functionality will be there soon? If not, any suggestion/link on how to avoid unwanted mic/cable noise in the first place will be very much appreciated...
Thanks!
p
EOS M Version 2.0.2 firmware, EFM 18-55mm, Sandisk 32 GB, Mac OS X

dfort


Quote from: gary2013 on March 04, 2014, 06:54:34 AM
what is the native iso for the M?

Good question! I've heard it also called base ISO. Any developers or Canon technicians out there with the answer?

MobFactory

Quote from: dfort on March 04, 2014, 05:03:23 PM
Good question! I've heard it also called base ISO. Any developers or Canon technicians out there with the answer?
Yeah. The eos m does not have amazing iso performance so knowing the base iso would help

MobFactory

Hey sorry but i tried upgrading but when i plug in my eos m nothing on the menu is clickable on eos utility except monitor folder. How can i install cinestyle?