256gig 1200X KomputerBay CF cards.

Started by ted ramasola, August 20, 2013, 09:00:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ted ramasola

Their first batch got sold out already, but hopefully I will be able to test one by end of the week or early next week.
I'll keep you guys posted how it goes on the 5D mkII and 7D and hopefully a 5D mkIII.

http://www.amazon.com/KOMPUTERBAY-256GB-Professional-COMPACT-Extreme/dp/B00EM9I6II/ref=sr_sp-btf_title_1_13?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1376990373&sr=1-13&keywords=cf+1200x
5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas

xNiNELiVES

Quote from: ted ramasola on August 20, 2013, 09:00:19 PM
Their first batch got sold out already, but hopefully I will be able to test one by end of the week or early next week.
I'll keep you guys posted how it gows on the 5D mkII and 7D and hopefully a 5D mkIII.

http://www.amazon.com/KOMPUTERBAY-256GB-Professional-COMPACT-Extreme/dp/B00EM9I6II/ref=sr_sp-btf_title_1_13?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1376990373&sr=1-13&keywords=cf+1200x

How did KB send you that card? I was set up to be a tester for KB but never got notified. Did you?

Andy600

Damn, that's a big card. Not sure it will fit in my camera  ::)

Edit: Damn again! You resized the picture so now my joke doesn't work  ;D
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

ted ramasola

Quote from: xNiNELiVES on August 20, 2013, 09:03:27 PM
How did KB send you that card? I was set up to be a tester for KB but never got notified. Did you?

First batch ran out. They were just a few pieces. I'm waiting for next shipment.
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

xNiNELiVES

Quote from: ted ramasola on August 20, 2013, 09:05:41 PM
First batch ran out. They were just a few pieces. I'm waiting for next shipment.

So you actually spent $700. What a rip off of a price! It would be way more reasonable at $300-400

ted ramasola

Quote from: xNiNELiVES on August 20, 2013, 09:06:31 PM
So you actually spent $700. What a rip off of a price! It would be way more reasonable at $300-400

I'll see if it offers an improvement in continuous recording on higher resolutions on the mkII and hopefully on the 7D, if not I'll exchange them for a bunch of 64s.  :)

I won't be sure yet if it works across several models as we were not able to determine the firmware on the chips.
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

AnotherDave

I wonder why they didn't make a 256gb 1050x card?  Seems like the price is rather high if you can get 2 x 128gb cards for $400 that'll roll continuous.

Unless (for some reason) you're shooting in 3.6k....

Canon eos m

If the past is anything to go by bigger the card from KBay slower it will be with the exception of the 64GB that offers the same speed as the 32GB. Lets see what Ted reports finally.
Canon 5D Mark III, Gopro Hero Blacks with 3D Casing, A Few Lenses, Adobe CC 2014, MacBook Pro, Windows 8 PC, Lots of Video Rig!

Started Nuke. Loved it but then the 15 day trial ran out. Back to After Effects and loving it :-)

xNiNELiVES

Quote from: Canon eos m on August 21, 2013, 02:14:00 AM
If the past is anything to go by bigger the card from KBay slower it will be with the exception of the 64GB that offers the same speed as the 32GB. Lets see what Ted reports finally.

Remember that he's only placed the order he's practically on a waiting list.

arrinkiiii

@ Ted

I look forward to seeing that results  :D  I think will not be more fast, that the extra 200x is more for handle the big capacity, 256GB.

NateVolk

I've got one coming too. Should be here the first week of sept I hope!  My 128gb is working flawlessly at 1050x :)

t2scorp

Quote from: arrinkiiii on August 25, 2013, 06:50:51 AM
Fond this, more info...

http://blog.planet5d.com/2013/08/komputerbay-256gb-compact-flash-card/

I never reach the same speed in 60fps mode then I reach in normal speed.

Normal 100MB/s
Sqeezed mode: 80MB/s

Don't expect to get 1920 x 672/1080 60fps continously...

ted ramasola

Tested on 5D mkII, mkIII and 7D.

The cards was tested to be compatible with magic lantern and canon firmware unlike the 1050x.

Benchmarks show similar results as 32 or 64 gig 1000x. The cameras seem to be the limiting factor.

When formatted as 256 gig via your computer or straight from the box, the cards will initially be seen as such by the camera.

However, when you format the card in-camera, it will reduce its capacity to 128gig.

Tested the 5dmkII for capacity test indicates it cannot record past 128gig on the card. (we recorded 116gig)

For now only 2 card readers are confirmed and tested to be compatible, the lexar and transcend card readers.
Other brands will only show the CF card as 132 gig only.
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

MA Visuals

Quote from: ted ramasola on September 01, 2013, 10:50:08 AM

The cards was tested to be compatible with magic lantern and canon firmware unlike the 1050x.

Benchmarks show similar results as 32 or 64 gig 1000x. The cameras seem to be the limiting factor.

Pity... was hoping for better performance on the 5D3.  Did you happen to test the card write speed outside of magic lantern using something like CrystalDiskMark?

xvince1

When formatted as 256 gig via your computer or straight from the box, the cards will initially be seen as such by the camera.

However, when you format the card in-camera, it will reduce its capacity to 128gig.

Tested the 5dmkII for capacity test indicates it cannot record past 128gig on the card. (we recorded 116gig)

For now only 2 card readers are confirmed and tested to be compatible, the lexar and transcend card readers.

So, for 5D2, we have to wait for a 128GB 1200X with a compatible firmware ...  :-\

Midphase

Quote from: ted ramasola on September 01, 2013, 10:50:08 AMBenchmarks show similar results as 32 or 64 gig 1000x. The cameras seem to be the limiting factor.

Hello Ted,

If I am understanding this correctly, is 1000X speeds about as good as we're ever going to get on the 5Dmk3?

It seems like there is absolutely no advantage to 1200X cards, and even 1050X don't seem to be performing any better.

Komputerbay is releasing 1050X 64gig cards in November:

http://www.amazon.com/KOMPUTERBAY-Professional-COMPACT-FLASH-Extreme/dp/B00DQ8WOW0/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1378623709&sr=1-4&keywords=64GB+1050X

Do you think these cards will provide any benefit whatsoever?

I ask because I think I want to buy a couple of additional CF cards (I already have 2 Komputerbay 64 1000X which I'm quite happy with) and I'm wondering if I should wait until November for the 1050X or if there's really no point based on your research.

Many thanks!

Lugie

According to Canon themselves the maximum write speed of the Canon 5d mkIII is 167MB/sec.

This is the statement by Canon:
The DIGIC 5+ processor has also brought the ability to make use of UDMA 7 memory cards, enabling fast write speeds for both still images, where data is produced in bursts, and HD video, where continuous stream data is sent. This allows memory cards with a sustained write speed of up to 167MB/sec to be fully utilised, meaning the camera is future-proofed to be able to work with faster memory cards than are currently available in the market.

Canon also says that cf cards with the size of 256gb should work with the 5d mkIII, even larger than that would be possible.

Midphase

Regardless of what Canon literature says, this doesn't seem to be reflected in real-world tests. 1200X CF cards clock in higher than 100mb/sec write speeds with test apps when connected to a computer through a USB 3 CF reader, yet on the 5D3 they can't get anywhere close to that.

What is going on?

MA Visuals

Quote from: Midphase on September 11, 2013, 08:04:44 PM
Regardless of what Canon literature says, this doesn't seem to be reflected in real-world tests. 1200X CF cards clock in higher than 100mb/sec write speeds with test apps when connected to a computer through a USB 3 CF reader, yet on the 5D3 they can't get anywhere close to that.

What is going on?

May I ask where have you read that the cards tested faster via separate test apps?  I've only seen screenshot results of those type of tests coming from Komputerbay themselves.  I had asked Ted Ramasola if he tested externally using a utility such as CrystalDiskMark but I didn't receive a response, so I'm still unsure if the camera is the limiting factor or the just that the cards themselves are not performing anywhere near their claimed write speed.

ted ramasola

@MA Visuals,

oops, Sorry I wasn't able to reply to your question and request.
No I did not perform extensive tests outside the camera as the Card is very picky with card readers, more than the 128gigs. The 256 from KB at the time of testing was only compatible to transcend and lexar usb 3 CF readers. I did a limited testing with a friend who had the mkIII and a transcend reader but only to format the card, install ML and do benchmarks on his mkIII.

Upon realizing that the major cameras that use ML (mkII,mkIII, 7D) can't support more than the 128gig versions of KB cards, I was no longer interested in pursuing further testing.

Even when you format the 256 as 256gig, the camera can't record more than 128gig worth of data on it.

The moment you perform an in-camera format it reduces it to 128.

I saw no benefit using it so I sent it back already.
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

MA Visuals

Quote from: ted ramasola on September 13, 2013, 06:29:35 AM
@MA Visuals,

oops, Sorry I wasn't able to reply to your question and request.
No I did not perform extensive tests outside the camera as the Card is very picky with card readers, more than the 128gigs. The 256 from KB at the time of testing was only compatible to transcend and lexar usb 3 CF readers. I did a limited testing with a friend who had the mkIII and a transcend reader but only to format the card, install ML and do benchmarks on his mkIII.

Upon realizing that the major cameras that use ML (mkII,mkIII, 7D) can't support more than the 128gig versions of KB cards, I was no longer interested in pursuing further testing.

Even when you format the 256 as 256gig, the camera can't record more than 128gig worth of data on it.

The moment you perform an in-camera format it reduces it to 128.

I saw no benefit using it so I sent it back already.

Thank you Ted.  For the price vs your tested performance, I would have returned it as well. 

That's actually very good news since it's no longer established that the camera is the limiting factor.  There is a possibility that the sustained write speed of the card you tested was just very similar to their other cards.

ted ramasola

Here is the screen that shows the camera can "see" its a high capacity card. Its formatted in the PC.

Heres a benchmark done in camera with ML.

More test results I posted here: http://www.ramasolaproductions.com/6.html

Including resolutions on the 3 cameras tested.

I'd also add that I have been informed by KB that the higher end cameras, ie; 1D(xx,C) show a "different" result when using this card.
Perhaps they are compatible and can take advantage of the high capacity and speed.
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

sleepinghouse

I just read about this card yesterday. I was looking into either getting another 32 or the 64gb, and wondered which were faster, but this answered my question.
QuoteIf the past is anything to go by bigger the card from KBay slower it will be with the exception of the 64GB that offers the same speed as the 32GB. Lets see what Ted reports finally.

Thank you.
5d mkii  ||  canon 50 f/1.4  ||  hexanon 40 f/1.8  ||  tokina 20-35 f/2.8  ||  zenitar 16 f/2.8  ||

joaomoutinho

Hello...

I am here just to be "updated". So, it looks like Canon says that if the CFcards evolve, than, more features and granted continuity will be granted in new versions of MagicLantern. Is that correct?

So, and to just make a point on the "correct" workflow, if the CFcards get to higher speeds, the resolutions will go up and that the 128GB card will be the 64GB card of nowadays. Correct?

In order to get a good workflow we need to dump this data somewhere to be able to work for 1 entire day with (virtually) no stops. So, is there any Portable device that can dump 128GB in say... 8minutes?

That way, with two cards, it would be great to work and no time lost. Could do a Documentary just to test this workflow!!

Thank you very much. Hope to get you oppinions on this!