7D Raw Thread

Started by noisyboy, August 05, 2013, 11:52:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ted ramasola

We can't guess what your doing unless you provide what your settings are. What lens your using. What your post process is etc.
5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas

bruscwillis

Quote from: Flyingsheep on March 18, 2014, 12:06:01 AM
Another frame grab using the March 5th build.  I think I'm going to stick with this one for a while.  Sunset shots in RAW are ridiculous.  It's too bad I have to stretch it from 1280x514 though.  A little noticeable with the high noise in ISO 1250.

What is ridiculous for sunset in raw?

ted ramasola

Quote from: bruscwillis on March 18, 2014, 03:44:52 PM
What is ridiculous for sunset in raw?

Its a hyperbolic/metaphor for awesome.  ;)
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

sml1187

Quote from: ted ramasola on March 18, 2014, 03:30:40 PM
We can't guess what your doing unless you provide what your settings are. What lens your using. What your post process is etc.

Sorry..I encountered this problem with all versions of TL and ML..shooting raw at any size..the lens is a Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS - EF-S.For post process i use RAWanizer and Resolve/AE,with same results..a bad light flickering.Also i notice a sort of autogain in some light condition.

idealsceneprod

I just tried the magiclantern builds from Mar 5 and Mar 6, as well as the latest nightly build. All 3 had errors and stopped recording RAW. All had a dropped frame and autostopped. I'm recording as high a frame size as the firmware will let me. With focus peaking and zebras on. No meters save for the spot meter. With Digic Peaking on Slightly Sharper.

I'm shooting onto a 1000X 16GB Lexar card.

I'm not sure if simply replacing the files from the new builds on my CF card is enough - but that's all I did to upgrade.

I'm reverting back to my TL build.

Does ML save any log files I can supply to somebody? I don't know how else to be useful to this testing process.

Tks,
Val
Val Gameiro
Writer, Director, Filmmaker
Austin, Texas

Frank7D

Quote from: idealsceneprod on March 19, 2014, 07:12:20 PM
I just tried the magiclantern builds from Mar 5 and Mar 6, as well as the latest nightly build. All 3 had errors and stopped recording RAW. All had a dropped frame and autostopped.

Dropping frames is not an error; that just means you are filming too high a data rate for continuous recording. Also, stopping when there is a dropped frame is not an error; that is a setting that you can change (Don't have my camera right now or I'd tell you exactly where that is).

idealsceneprod

I see. Well, with the TL firmware I was able to record for longer periods without any dropped frames. On the ML firmware it went for 10-13 seconds and then stopped.

I do want it to stop if there's a dropped frame, that's fine with me.

I'm also waiting to buy a KomputerBay 128GB 1050X card, and see if that makes a difference.

ML does tell me I should be able to record continuously at 17xx by whatever is the maximum it'll let me do on the 7D.

EDIT: I'm an idiot... I forgot that I can only shoot 1600x900 continuously even on TL!!  I did have some interface issues with the latest ML build though. I'll keep testing it and seeing what I get out of it. The TL does seem to boot faster than the ML, and because I use manual Nikon lenses, it normally asks me to press the start button to verify I have a lens - the latest build of ML does this automatically like the TL, but just a little slower.

Tks,
Val
Val Gameiro
Austin, Texas

ted ramasola

a komputerbay 64gig1000x is faster than a 128gig 1050X.
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

Walter Schulz

Thanks! How does 128 GB 1000x?

ted ramasola

Quote from: Walter Schulz on March 19, 2014, 09:43:36 PM
Thanks! How does 128 GB 1000x?

Komputerbay 64GB and 32GB are still the fastest. The 128GB 1050X is about 5MB/s slower and the 128GB 1000X is about 9MB/s slower than the 64GB 1000X.
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

idealsceneprod

Maybe that's why they get progressively cheaper as the GB increase!

32 and 64GB cards it is!!

Thanks for the heads up

V
Val Gameiro
Austin, Texas

tonybeccar

Hello! Was testing today the 7D with the latest March 16th version:

Won't talk about speeds cause they seems awesome, got a 60mbps card and can get continuous full res at 2.35:1, so awesome.

A few bugs:

- The white framing guide shifts down when exiting Play mode. I have to restart the camera to fix it.
- The clip won't be deleted sometimes, it says failed to delete. Restarted the camera and worked.
- If I do slow motion, the canon framing is not correct. It should be narrower vertically. (btw, 1.40x IS the correct stretch factor)
- The up and bottom overlays end up aligning both at the bottom after touching a few settings. Can be reseted at their original positions after struggling with the advanced settings but there's no point.
- Would LOVE to have an option to hide the sound bars, as far as I know there is one in ML. Because I love the other overlays I get without them, and they are distracting for me really as I'm not recording sound, the sound guy/lady is.
- When I tried to change the ISO while recording raw, the interface hung up, I hitted the stop button, it came back after a few seconds but my recording stopped.
- On crop mode, I don't get a proper framing ratio and the 5x icon doesnt go away... I think when I tested it with another version it was all grand.
- EDIT: And the remaining/eleapsed overlay doesn't work, such as also the free card space.

Those are all I think, hope they are of any use... And btw so many interface improvements every time I install a new version. Almost so perfect!

Cheers!

javyelow

where do you find the 16 th version? the latest i find is 13th:

http://tl.bot-fly.com/

idealsceneprod

Val Gameiro
Austin, Texas

mad.eos

@idealaceneprod sorry for the off-topic but... Is that Jonathan Davis in your avatar? :-D
Canon EOS 1100D w/ 18-55mm | ML Nightly Build Tester

idealsceneprod

Quote from: mad.eos on March 21, 2014, 04:03:17 PM
@idealaceneprod sorry for the off-topic but... Is that Jonathan Davis in your avatar? :-D

Have no idea... this site only gives you a handful of options to chose from. I think this is the lead singer from Korn. Not a huge fan; it was better than the other options... :(
Val Gameiro
Austin, Texas

mad.eos

Then the answer is yes and I'm a huuuuge fan so kudos :-P
Canon EOS 1100D w/ 18-55mm | ML Nightly Build Tester

idealsceneprod

I only know a handful of their songs that play on Pandora. I do like those!
Val Gameiro
Austin, Texas

tjunkkila

I have a question and i'm bit lazy roaming the forums through for possible answers. Apologies.
ML MLV build works nicely and produces beautiful image.
At the moment i'm shooting on Kingston 90mb/s card and get 1600x900 resolution continuous video. I'd like to go on higher resolution, but 1728x1156 seems to be the maximum i get. Over that ML announces that the resolutions are "not available on this video mode". What's this video mode and how can i change it? Thanks.

Walter Schulz

You have to enable Crop Mode.

tjunkkila

Ok thanks Walter. Apparently i had some faulty january build that literally just cropped the frame instead of boosting the resolution. Works now on 2.2K.

ted ramasola

Quote from: tonybeccar on March 20, 2014, 12:00:34 AM
Hello! Was testing today the 7D with the latest March 16th version:

- If I do slow motion, the canon framing is not correct. It should be narrower vertically. (btw, 1.40x IS the correct stretch factor)

@Tony,

The resize stretch factor is NOT 1.4X it is 1.66X. If your stretch using only 1.4 the proprtion of your image is still distorted.

I think there is an error in computing the crop in the recorded image when shooting at 60P mode.

Lets take 1600x644 as an example. With 60P mode engaged, In ML menu it says 16:9, however shooting a 16:9 res chart you will notice it record more of the top and bottom not seen in the crop border framing in live view, so if you use only 1.4x in stretch the image is still distorted. In order to line up the registration markers of the chart, I found out the stretch has to be 1.66 to get proper proportion. So in fact after the stretch the image is 1600x1070

Stretching it to fit a 1920 width you have a height of 1280, so 1920x1280 or 3:2 aspect ratio.
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

alsey7

Another frame grab using the March 5th build.  I think I'm going to stick with this one for a while.  Sunset shots in RAW are ridiculous.  It's too bad I have to stretch it from 1280x514 though.  A little noticeable with the high noise in ISO 1250.

what lens did u use?

idealsceneprod

Did you use noise reduction? Adobe Lightroom, or...? I use Red Giant Denoiser II (for video), and that's pretty good, although it does tend to make footage look a bit soft. I would love to try Resolve's noise reduction, but I don't think that comes with the LITE version :(
Val Gameiro
Austin, Texas

flavediller

Hey everyone. Here is another video I recently shot with Magic Lantern Raw and my Canon 7D. Love the work you guys are doing. I hope this video converts more people to the idea of shooting RAW!