7D Raw Thread

Started by noisyboy, August 05, 2013, 11:52:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MaxMexo

Hello! New user here!
I've installed Magic lantern on my 7D last week and i was able to use it on a short video for a music band. Well there's nothing much to say, magic lantern kicks the 7D pretty hard and it give the camera a new life!
Here's an example of what is capable with just a 50 mm 1.8 cheap lens

I pushed the settings quite a bit and it's flawless! Just amazing!
So thank you! Ill make sure to give credit to everyone!

mrnv45

can you give a setting check list to what you have on and off in your last menu?

pest01

it seems when im recording in raw the playback of the final result on a computer seems to be faster than the actual fps settings! audio syncing from a external recorder seems impossible :( can anyone confirm that?

mucher

pest01

Deleting its what i did  :) I'm asking because most of the time half of the videos seam to play normaly and the rest seam to be playing faster than the rest. I've seen in the forum Tikos music clip shot with 7d raw and everithing seems to be fine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3halXv1b40
Is it a problem of my cf card speed, settings maybe or latest tragiclantern build, don't now! can anybody help?

1%

Remember zoom mode is 30FPS unless you override it. So if you were shooting 24P/zoom then half of your clips would be 24p and the other half zoom, etc.

pest01

Thanks 1% for the quick reply!! I'm shooting 1x with fps override at 23.976. Tried it with 1x and no fps override and i'm getting the same fps with no change at the result. Is the default fps for 1x at 23.966 or is it the same as x5
Thanks again!!!

1%

FPS override has some overhead so if you can shoot without it you'll get better speeds. Unless there is something causing aliasing/moire I prefer non crop on this camera. At this point it feels pretty much like H264 after initially getting up to speed.

pest01

ok thanks for the info 1% and keep up the good work!!! :D

mrnv45

nice workflow

Lightroom
Quicktime Pro (if you know how to get it  ;) )
After Effects

really simple and cool...

Fringuello

Quote from: mrnv45 on October 31, 2013, 06:43:32 AM
nice workflow

Lightroom
After Effects

Where is rawmagic?
Italy - canon 7D

DFM

Straying off topic but sorry, but I would really advise against that workflow.

Lightroom was never designed to process CinemaDNG sequences. The database engine hasn't been optimized for tens of thousands of frames in a temporary transcoding pipeline. It assumes you're permanently importing photographs into the catalog (so all that waiting around is while it writes hundreds of megabytes of SQL and preview data to disk that you'll never need again), and while the developments in Lr are nondestructive, the exports aren't. The point of using raw footage is to retain it for as long into the pipeline as possible, so for example you can change the white balance long after you've started cutting the dailies.

After Effects includes exactly the same Camera RAW engine as is used in Lr, but in AE it's been integrated specifically to support frame sequences. No temporary files are created, your developments for frame 1 are automatically applied to all the others, and it's completely nondestructive. ACR supports user presets, lens corrections, etc. and the only things missing in the ACR window compared to the Lr UI are tools which would never be used on frame sequences (such as healing brushes).

Bouncing through a Quicktime DI is also a very bad idea, as the QT engine isn't optimized for 64-bit platforms (unlike Ae and ACR). The entire point behind the DirectLink pipeline between AE and Pr is to avoid any need for intermediates.

The 'correct' workflow at the moment, from an Adobe point of view, is to import the DNG sequences directly into After Effects on a 16 or 32-bit comp, apply import corrections (lens adjustments, whibal and detail) in ACR then grade the footage on the timeline. If you want to cut in Premiere Pro, simply drop the AE comps into a Pr sequence. Everything remains 100% nondestructive and x64-compatible.

All this will be moot when the update to the CC video tools collection are rolled out to the public, as you'll then be able to load cDNG sequences into Premiere Pro and Speedgrade. They've been delayed while engineering perform some additional tests, but they're due shortly.

~D~

Quote from: mrnv45 on October 31, 2013, 06:43:32 AM
nice workflow

Lightroom
After Effects

mucher

I sold my old 7D and just got a new 7D, just to prove that I am a big 7D fan. But problem comes that there is a Ver.2 sign on the box, and, after some searching the internet, I have found that Ver.2 7D might brick the camera if flashing to 1.x firmwares. So I am wondering if there is any solution that I need not flash back to fw1.2.3, in order to get autoboot ML? Thanks in advance.

Walter Schulz

Start reading here and follow instructions by the letter!
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=7464.0

And you will find this info (among others):
===
Why am I using fir 1.1.0 when my cam is 2.0.3?
A common enough question. The 1.1.0 firmware file does not "downgrade" your camera, it simply applys the bootflag to the cam so it will search and run the auto exe when the camera boots. This is great and dangerous all in one. Great because it means ML can run at start every time. Dangerous because if ML has bad settings or flawed modules it can screw up the cam every time it turns on.
===

Ciao
Walter

mucher

Great thanks, Mr.Schulz ;D

I patched my old 7D a different way than this, so I didn't know all these. I will give it a try when I can get my hands on my new 7D in a couple of days. Thanks again.

gcbotas

Things are getting better and better around here. I keep reading this forum day after day. Really enjoying raw recording. Thanks guys!!

mrnv45

Quote from: DFM on October 31, 2013, 11:02:01 AM
Straying off topic but sorry, but I would really advise against that workflow.

Lightroom was never designed to process CinemaDNG sequences. The database engine hasn't been optimized for tens of thousands of frames in a temporary transcoding pipeline. It assumes you're permanently importing photographs into the catalog (so all that waiting around is while it writes hundreds of megabytes of SQL and preview data to disk that you'll never need again), and while the developments in Lr are nondestructive, the exports aren't. The point of using raw footage is to retain it for as long into the pipeline as possible, so for example you can change the white balance long after you've started cutting the dailies.

After Effects includes exactly the same Camera RAW engine as is used in Lr, but in AE it's been integrated specifically to support frame sequences. No temporary files are created, your developments for frame 1 are automatically applied to all the others, and it's completely nondestructive. ACR supports user presets, lens corrections, etc. and the only things missing in the ACR window compared to the Lr UI are tools which would never be used on frame sequences (such as healing brushes).

Bouncing through a Quicktime DI is also a very bad idea, as the QT engine isn't optimized for 64-bit platforms (unlike Ae and ACR). The entire point behind the DirectLink pipeline between AE and Pr is to avoid any need for intermediates.

The 'correct' workflow at the moment, from an Adobe point of view, is to import the DNG sequences directly into After Effects on a 16 or 32-bit comp, apply import corrections (lens adjustments, whibal and detail) in ACR then grade the footage on the timeline. If you want to cut in Premiere Pro, simply drop the AE comps into a Pr sequence. Everything remains 100% nondestructive and x64-compatible.

All this will be moot when the update to the CC video tools collection are rolled out to the public, as you'll then be able to load cDNG sequences into Premiere Pro and Speedgrade. They've been delayed while engineering perform some additional tests, but they're due shortly.

~D~

well someone who has clips like mine that ACR wont pull up in After effects only way to get ACR is through photoshop.
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=9086.new#new

so for the moment this was a great sub. since i didnt have the raw files only sequence.

ive seen plenty of people use lightroom to convert. WITHOUT NOISE REDUCTION, GRAIN ADDING and WITHOUT SHARPENING in light room.. .

and as for the quicktime export.  the person who created THIS VIDEO, was one of the people who first told me how to EXPORT from Quicktime  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtwJvgPJ9xw (Chamillionaire - Ridin Dirty)

so its not the first time ive heard it was a good way to export.

i honestly PERSONALLY dont see any difference for YOUTUBE purpose but maybe for On screen or dvd.

mrnv45

edwmotion

How crop mode looks on 18mm?

;D Better than I thought

dmk

Sweet. Who needs a zoom or prime set? Just grab a wide lens and choose crop mode accordingly :D

dmk

So with my komputerbay cards, the write speed seems fine, averaging around 80 MB/s or so in playback mode with global draw off

But the read speeds are awful- around 55MB/s

Do I need to worry about this? I don't care if it takes a while to copy the data off the card, I just want it to perform well while shooting

edwmotion

how many frames do you get on crop mode?

dmk

I'm really confused- how do I shoot crop mode?

When I press the zoom button and record it seems to just do a digital zoom of the 1728w... (I don't mean by eye, I mean the resulting files are 1728w)

dmk

oh nm I get it- first need to zoom, and then new resolutions are acceptable from ML menu. Cool :D