Canon 650D / T4i

Started by nanomad, August 03, 2013, 07:27:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davegravy

Quote from: anewcomb on February 04, 2014, 09:42:15 AM
Hi Dave, I asked the same question a while back and received no real solid answer. So I went ahead and downloaded the latest build and 1280x720 is 99% red dot free with PDR tool 7 or 8. 1472x626 however is loaded with dots. There is a cool tool a1ex made called " raw2dng-cs2x2...hdlike_noise.exe" which cleans up the 1472x626 pretty much. Just Google that tool name and you should find the threads with download links. Also, I have found that adobe camera raw (ACR) used with most adobe software like After Effects helps with properly displaying the tool converted DNG files. I'm not sure why but that's what I'm having to use after PDR is applied. Yes...it is a mind bender and a bummer at times but just imagine what the devs go through...upmost respect for those guys!

Thanks anewcomb!

I've been making my way through the forum threads and changelog, though not finished yet. Lots of it is technical beyond my understanding, but I gather they've squeezed a bit more performance out of the write speeds in the latest builds, and hence increased the maximum resolution you can record without dropouts. That's reason enough for me to update ML!

I'll give the raw2dng tool a shot. I'm partial to Resolve, so hopefully I can still fit that in my workflow. If it breaks things for me I suppose I can always go back to the August build :)

Cheers,

Dave

timkev

I'm having trouble understanding whether or not it is possible to record audio while recording RAW videos.
If it is, could someone please let me know the step by step process how to do so. I'm quite new to Magic Lantern.

Thanks!

glassescreditsroll

Hey I don't know if it's possible at all but I just picked up an anamorphic lens and I'm wondering if we can somehow change aspect ratio without filming raw? I just don't want to have to add pdr to my post work right now and being able to change filming ratio would make squeezing in post alot easier

glassescreditsroll

I've read around and I see that in 2012 the 5d got a display tweak for live view anamorphic squeez, that would be a tremendous help! Why hasn't anyone brought that over to any apsc cameras? Or have they? Unless its impossible it makes no sence to not do it seeing as how crop sensors are much better to film on when it comes to anamorphic because of the shorter focal lengths we can get that the ff can't because of vignetting. Please someone tell me this can happen? Or tell me it's not possible on the 650d and I'll shut up I don't want to troll I'm just curious as to why we don't have this feature if it's just a live view tweak

diy-greenenergy

Hi I am using ML on my 650D from the first alpha release. ML is awesome, thanks guys!
Here my first try at focus stacking:

Final image: http://www.apcc.tk/images/news_pictures/Focus-Stack-Final-Image-Helicon-Focus.jpg
The camera was set to F2.8, ISO100, Jpg, next time I want to use F5.6-F8 and Raw format, I hope I will got better results.

rec
400D with 400Plus, 650D with ML, Sigma 17-70 2.8-4.5, Canon 50mm f1.8, Canon 100mm 2.8 macro, Canon 55-250mm IS, DIY Macro Ring, Nissin Di622

Jokemeister

I must be misunderstanding focus stacking. I thought it took several shots at progressive focus distances to allow you to stack them in Photoshop etc. to have for example a macro image where the whole object was in focus because normally your depth of field is so short. The sample image didn't seem to demonstrate that.

Nyte

Being new to DSLR video and all I'm wondering what is Focus stacking and why would I use it ?
Canon 650D/T4i - Nifty Fifty/Plastic Fantastic

Walter Schulz

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Focus_stacking

You may use video to collect frames with different focus distance by pushing/pulling focus. Those frames can be extracted and stacked.

However, standard for focus stacking is taking stills.

diy-greenenergy

Quote from: Jokemeister on February 07, 2014, 09:28:14 AM
I must be misunderstanding focus stacking. I thought it took several shots at progressive focus distances to allow you to stack them in Photoshop etc. to have for example a macro image where the whole object was in focus because normally your depth of field is so short. The sample image didn't seem to demonstrate that.
At F2.8 my 100mm lens has only 0.01 cm DOF.
http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html

Here you can see all the individual images: focus stacking
400D with 400Plus, 650D with ML, Sigma 17-70 2.8-4.5, Canon 50mm f1.8, Canon 100mm 2.8 macro, Canon 55-250mm IS, DIY Macro Ring, Nissin Di622

diy-greenenergy

Quote from: Walter Schulz on February 07, 2014, 01:13:09 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Focus_stacking

You may use video to collect frames with different focus distance by pushing/pulling focus. Those frames can be extracted and stacked.

However, standard for focus stacking is taking stills.
Yes you have right for 2Mpixel, but if you need 18Mpixel image, extracting frames from video is not a solution.

blade

Quote from: satriani on August 16, 2013, 12:07:23 AM
Hey guys,
just for info, the link to daily builds for 650D was changed, so you find it from now here or just take a look to my signature.
BTW: There are no changes in source, so no updates. I think the devs doing a little pause  :P

Satriani, how do they differ from the alpha builds on the ML site?
eos400D :: eos650D  :: Sigma 18-200 :: Canon 100mm macro

satriani

In most cases, no difference. I experiment sometimes with modules, so my builds can be unstable as of alpha builds on the ML site.
Cameras: Canon EOS 70D, Canon EOS 650D
Lenses: 2x CanonEF-S 18-135 IS STM, Sigma 50mm f1.4 DG HSM Art
Daily builds

perkaer

Quote from: venture on February 03, 2014, 06:57:36 PM
Something else I observed: After starting ML with default settings, only two options ever appear under Global Draw: "OFF" and "LiveView". If I select either option, I lose the overlays outside of LiveView / Video and there is no way to turn them back on without restoring ML defaults. Would this be related?

I am having the same issue and I am using the most recent nightly build.

As far as I understand this means that you cannot which a raw histogram after the picture is taken, only before using LV... Looking under the "overlay" section on http://builds.magiclantern.fm/#/features, OVERLAYS_IN_PLAYBACK_MODE is unchecked for 650D and 700D, so this quite essential feature is missing?

Until recently I was using Canon firmware 1.0.1 and a ML version from last summer and here I could easily view the raw histogram in playback mode (press and hold PLAY button) and it popped up automatically in the QuickReview of a picture just taken.

I would really love to get this feature back, as I guess it is the most accurate raw histogram available in ML. The LV one must be based on something less accurate than the post-picture version right?

perkaer

Quote from: a1ex on February 09, 2014, 08:13:24 PM
I wrote about it a few posts ago: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=7473.msg95940#msg95940

Ah I see, so its non-trivial to enable it.. I would donate 20 EUR instantly if it got fixed soon (gonna do it anyway though, dual ISO made me less sad I did not get Nikon : ).

But what about my speculations about the accuracy of the raw histogram in LV, can you trust it as well as a post-picture histogram?

And GREAT job on ML in general, really love it.

a1ex

The LV histogram is approximate (I would say +/- 0.5 stops); the QR one is much better, because it's computed from the real thing.

papkee

Not sure if it's a known bug, but when using an external monitor focus peaking doesn't work. The dots are scattered all over the place as if the overlay has been shifted. Also, the histogram goes up almost a full stop or so when using a monitor as opposed to the default lcd.
EOS 650D, a bunch of random lenses & adapters

EstChris

Quick question - are the audio meters implemented in recent builds? Or do we have to use mk11174 builds, if we want audio? :P

glassescreditsroll

Quote from: EstChris on February 11, 2014, 04:03:49 PM
Quick question - are the audio meters implemented in recent builds? Or do we have to use mk11174 builds, if we want audio? :P
theyre only in the mk11174 builds

Jonnyb815

How do you get the shortcuts to work? I hit the LCD Sensor and nothing.
Canon 650D/T4i, Tokina 11-16mm F/2.8, Sigma 17-50mm F/2.8, Sigma 30mm F/1.4, Canon 50 mm F/1.4, Tamron 70-200mm F/2.8

mk11174

Quote from: Jonnyb815 on February 15, 2014, 06:13:37 AM
How do you get the shortcuts to work? I hit the LCD Sensor and nothing.
You need to go to ML Prefs Tab and goto Misc key settings to turn the feature on first.

Then goto Arrow/Set Shortcuts and choose the options you want set for the feature.

500D/T1i  550D/T2i  600D/T3i  700D/T5i

Jonnyb815

Thanks for the help. Wish it would work a little better cant get the sensor to work 100% of the time o well. Still nice to have.
Canon 650D/T4i, Tokina 11-16mm F/2.8, Sigma 17-50mm F/2.8, Sigma 30mm F/1.4, Canon 50 mm F/1.4, Tamron 70-200mm F/2.8

amp650d

Hi. Thanks a lot to everyone for magiclanter. May someone tell me if shorcuts are enabled in 650d. I've tried it but nothing works. LCD sensor is enabled ( on and movie, i've tried both), and function is selected for arrow keys too. On the other hand, temperature is about 54 degres sometimes on movie mode. Is this a normal temperature to work with? Thanks an apologies for my poor english.

venture

Thanks alex and nanomad for enabling more functions in the last few days.

Some testing I've done based on Feb 17, 2014 build:

1) The intervalometer "stop after x shots" seems to be working fine.

2) For GlobalDraw = "On, all modes" and  Image Review = "Canon/Mnu:Hold-> PLAY":
In Play mode, exposure tools overlay (zebra, histogram, etc.) appears only on alternating shots taken..i.e. appears only on every 2nd picture taken. When they do appear, any action (zooming in and back out, etc.) removes the overlay until another two shots are taken.

3) CPU usage now available under Debug menu
650D/T4i | EF-S 18-135 IS STM | EF 50 f/1.8 mk1 | 55-250

venture

Quote from: amp650d on February 16, 2014, 08:25:43 PM
Hi. Thanks a lot to everyone for magiclanter. May someone tell me if shorcuts are enabled in 650d. I've tried it but nothing works. LCD sensor is enabled ( on and movie, i've tried both), and function is selected for arrow keys too. On the other hand, temperature is about 54 degres sometimes on movie mode. Is this a normal temperature to work with? Thanks an apologies for my poor english.

Which shortcuts are you specifically having problems with? In Liveview, I was able to enable/disable the arrow key shortcuts by covering the LCD sensor...Also, the Play mode shortcuts (Quick Erase, SET+control wheel, etc.) are working for me. Which build are you using?

Sorry, don't have much experience with temperature in movie mode. It seems that I remember seeing an earlier post regarding a similar issue though...
650D/T4i | EF-S 18-135 IS STM | EF 50 f/1.8 mk1 | 55-250