Dual ISO - massive dynamic range improvement (dual_iso.mo)

Started by a1ex, July 16, 2013, 06:33:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mucher

I was able to download the full-res dng file, and open it with GIMP 2.8, and didn't find much artifacts, and, when shrinked to 1920x1280, the picture was beautiful, but I couldn't get that much DR as the whitepaper did.

Couldn't wait to see when this good thing, plus raw video, plus 10 bit downbit raw video, will come to 7D. And I had a dream last night shooting that Dual-raw video with 7D. This is serious stuff.

I personally appreciate Alex's great job and his daring thought, which I think quite fun, and the whitepaper is really well written(though a little beyond me). However, I do notice that this setting only works with iso100, if it can be extended to other ISOs will be a genuine plus.

brapodam

Quote from: jkdjedi on July 19, 2013, 03:30:04 AM
Sorry if I missed it...but....Is there a noob guide on how to implement this hack on the 7d? My guess is that you'll need the original Magic Lantern firmware and just copy and paste to some bin files..??? I know, I know...we're not worthy..but please, point us in the right direction..Thank You. :)
You'll either have to compile yourself, or wait for someone to release the updated autoexec.bin for 7D. You'll need both the dual_iso modules and the autoexec.bin

Audionut

Quote from: dubzeebass on July 19, 2013, 03:05:07 AM
I'm finding it difficult to properly set exposure,

Set your base ISO for the highlights and the recovery ISO for the shadows.

jkdjedi

Thanks Brapodam.. I guess I'll have to wait then... :(  :'(

a1ex

@dubzeebass: can you upload a sample? (less than 1 second of video, if possible).

Did it work better with a previous version?

dariSSight

Why can't the 5D Mark II get Dual ISO function, what the difference in 7D that allow it to function?
Canon 5D Mark II

sebamax

Hi guys,
to work with raw2dng_shadow050.exe on wine in osx,
when the terminal tells me "usage:

Z:\Users\Seba\Desktop\Raw\raw2dng_shadow050.exe file.raw [prefix]

=> will create prefix000000.dng, prefix0000001.dng and so on."

What should I do?

Thanks

Walter Schulz

Copy your RAW video file to a location you like. For you it will do in Z:\Users\Seba\Desktop\Raw\ and drag and drop this file onto raw2dng_shadow050.exe. After this step you will get a bunch of files in this very folder/directory for further processing.

Ciao, Walter

brapodam

Quote from: Walter Schulz on July 19, 2013, 09:53:00 AM
Copy your RAW video file to a location you like. For you it will do in Z:\Users\Seba\Desktop\Raw\ and drag and drop this file onto raw2dng_shadow050.exe. After this step you will get a bunch of files in this very folder/directory for further processing.

Ciao, Walter
That works fine in Windows, I'm not sure about whether you can just use it like that if you have to run it using wine.

Normally what I'd do would be to run
Quotewine ./raw2dng_shadow050.exe file.raw

Of course replace file.raw with whatever the filename is.

If you want a prefix to your dng files then put the prefix after the filename

Walter Schulz

sebamax

Danne

Can,t wait for macversion converter so installed virtualbox and used Alex raw2dng converter. Some serious iso improvements here. Question. I get this famous pinkish cast when converting, how can I avoid it? Filmed in 3x crop mode but it shows otherwise as well.
Thanks!
//D

a1ex

Upload a short sample. I don't see it in any of my test files.

driftwood

a1ex, have you tried sampling more than 1 frame (i.e. two) during the interpolation and if so were there no averaging improvements? I know it would be more taxing but Id be interested to know what your findings were.

How about frame x {1 second in} (settled) - do the math - return to frame 0 / begin?
Canon 60D, Canon 5DMK3, Lexar 1000x 128GB CF, Panasonic (shhhh!) GH2s & GH3s. :-)

a1ex

I have to align the frames first, and since they contain motion, it's not trivial.

Danne

Sent you a pm with a short clip Alex. Sometimes 3x crop mode works fine with no pink cast, others it don,t. Hot pixels numbers skyrocket in the converter when pinkish. Normal filmings seems to work fine.

*update, just tried a regular 1920x1080 clip and pinkish unfortunately. Seems inconsistent on my camera. Or with the conversion.

a1ex

Updated raw2dng.exe in the first post, seems to be OK now.

Danne

Danne

Did you change the raw2dng.exe? I still get the skyrocket high hot pixel numbers and pinkish cast as before.
Thanks
/D

*update, worked with my latest moviefiles. Will try in 3x mode an also do a comparison. Will post it later tonight
Thanks
//D

a1ex

Works here. Cache issues when downloading?

Uploaded the same thing with another name: http://acoutts.com/a1ex/raw2dng_whitefix.exe
md5: 3af31ca290c8e4cb3e3013cf134a16f6

Danne

Nice Alex! Worked perfectly :)
I,ll post a comparison tonight.
Sweet

bumkicho

Is raw2dng_whitefix the latest raw2dng that handles dual iso raw files? Will it handle normal raw files as well?

driftwood

Canon 60D, Canon 5DMK3, Lexar 1000x 128GB CF, Panasonic (shhhh!) GH2s & GH3s. :-)

sebamax

ShootingStars

ISO100 looks the best there. What's the difference between external and internal?