Dual ISO - massive dynamic range improvement (dual_iso.mo)

Started by a1ex, July 16, 2013, 06:33:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeafEyeJedi

Quote from: dfort on October 28, 2015, 09:47:50 PM
A cheaper camera and even more dynamic range--well not by much. Uh oh, the gauntlet has been thrown!
HaHa you will always be a true comedian, Dan!

Quote from: dfort on October 28, 2015, 09:47:50 PM
There's a separate topic for sharing dual iso photos

Thanks for the friendly reminder... I can get lost easily just about anywhere, huh?  :P
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

LucaDeFranco

hi there .
Im new on the forum and i didn't understand properly the postprocessing workflow for those who use Dual ISO in video mode.
So , once i convert the raw files in DNG i drag these to cr2hdr.exe and i should get the images without the lines . Is that right?
Than in the GUI it says that the cr2hdr.exe needs dcraws as well. What for? and how do i use it? thank you

DeafEyeJedi

LucaDeFranco

Hi Deaf , and thank you for answering . Yes im on windows.
So here i got the issue.
I made some shot with dual iso settings and i downloaded on my PC cr2hdr ( which in the some folder got dcraw and exiftool ) and raw2dng.exe.
One i downloaded my .CR2 files on the computer i dragged them into raw2dng program but it shows me the following error "This ain't a lv_rec RAW file".

So then i tried to open them in Lightroom and exporting in DNG with success. Now i got all the DNGs but once i drag them in cr2hdr app it doesn't work.

Thanks for the help ...i'm looking forward to use this amazing feature.

malow

Anyone got problems with latest camera raw?

i did a few tests a week ago, worked great, but then i've reinstalled my pc, and now i have photoshop 2015.0.1 and ACR 9.2.0.486, and my dualIso's DNG show up really overexposed. (exposure slide can't fix it)

but they show properly when viewing with acdsee

im i doing something wrong? my camera is a 70D

LucaDeFranco

I have been also able to screenshot what happens in the prompt.
Once i drag the DNGs in the propt it says:

Input file : C:\FOLDER (where i got the picture)
"dcraw" it is not recognized as an internal or external command , an executable program or a batch file
"exiftool" is not recognized as an internal or external command , an executable program or a batch file
Camera: Canon EOS Mark III
dcraw could not open this file

I translated everything from italian and i would like to remember that i dragged the DNGs exported from lightroom since raw2dng didn't work.

Thank u again

Walter Schulz

From first post: "[...] Windows: cr2hdr.exe). It requires dcraw and (optional) exiftool in your executable path (they are in the zip)". So place dcraw and exiftool into the same directory where you put cr2hdr.

LucaDeFranco

I got them in the same folder.
i also put them in the same folder where i got the DNGs

Walter Schulz

Open command prompt (CMD.EXE) and type
cd \FOLDER
Then press ENTER key.
Type
cr2hdr.exe <name of DNG>.DNG
and press ENTER.
Results?

LucaDeFranco

Nothing it tells me that:
cr2hdr is not recognized to be an internal or external command , an executable program or a batch file

Walter Schulz

You see cr2hdr in Explorer? If so: Type dir cr2hdr* followed by ENTER key and tell results.

LucaDeFranco

if i do that it just shows me the folder with the 3 files inside ( cr2hdr , dcraw ,exiftool )

LucaDeFranco

Could it be that the conversion made with lightroom is not the same made with raw2dng? sorry but im not a computer genius .
I read everywhere that people make the conversion with raw2dng but it doesnt work for me...could this be the problem? just wondering...

dfort

You aren't following Walter's instructions. Do EXACTLY what he tells you.

Do you know how to find your way around your system using the command prompt? If you can get into that directory where cr2hdr.exe, drcraw.exe and exiftool.exe are located you should be able to simply type cr2hdr and it will print out some options.

Walter Schulz

Okay. So you have a subdirectory named cr2hdr inside your FOLDER directory. Now copy contents from directory cr2hdr to FOLDER. Dcraw.exe, Exiftool.exe and cr2hdr.exe. And now you may proceed.

Dfort: He did. But he made a mistake about exe's location not knowing what the difference between dir cr2hdr and exe cr2hdr.exe is and what consequences there are.

LucaDeFranco

Ok here is the result :

C:\Users\User\desktop\cr2hdr>cr2hdr.exe 7K7A3907.dng
cr2hdr: a post processing tool for dual iso images

Last update: 0c08758 on 2015-05-09 19:25:05 UTC by a1ex:
cr2hdr: Makefile commands to create a zip package for windows

Active options:
--amaze-edge     : use a temporary demosaic step <AMaZE> followed by edge-directe
d interpolation <default>
--cs2x2                : apply 2x2 chroma smoothing in noisy and aliased.....
>
--wb=graymax    : set asShotNeutral by maximizing the number.....

input file    : 7K7A3907.dng
7K7A3907.dng: No such file or directory
File not found: 7K7A3907.dng
Camera         : Canon EOS 5D Mark III
dcraw could not open this file

LucaDeFranco

Guys i did it and a thank u a lot....now the only problem remain the fact that i havent been able to convert with raw2dng...but i had to go trough lightroom and export everything in dng first

dfort

If you are going through Lightroom anyway, why not make it easy on yourself and use the cr2hdr Lightroom plugin?

http://magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=11056.0

Oh--and raw2dng is not for CR2 files so there's no need to get into that.

LucaDeFranco

I didnt know the existence . Thank you...is there any other trustworthy program to converte cr2 into dng without going trough lightroom? thanks

DeafEyeJedi

For Mac OS X I'm assuming you're on...

If so, @Danne's app 'cr2hdr-r' is incredible and yet so easy to use!

Sorry you're on Windows and I can't help there.

Audionut

dfort

You mean the:
Quote- Reference converter: cr2hdr.c (Windows: cr2hdr.exe). It requires dcraw and (optional) exiftool in your executable path (they are in the zip). Drag and drop the CR2 files over cr2hdr.exe.

- For RAW video files: extract the DNGs with any method you like (e.g. raw2dng or mlv_dump), then drag the DNG files over cr2hdr.exe

That's too easy. You know how we love to complicate things.

@LucaDeFranco it looks like you don't have dcraw.exe in your path. With Windows having cr2hdr.exe, dcraw.exe and (optional) exiftool.exe in the same directory should do the trick. You can also modify your path -- a.k.a. Environmental Variables in Windows. There are lots of tips online that can help you with that.

CesarOliveiraPhotography

Hello guys, I have a problem here, now I can't convert the CR2 to DMG with cr2hdr. I'm doing exactly the same thing I was doing before but now doesn't work. Recently I upgrade my system to Mac OS El Capitan, I don't know if this is the problem but now I just get one .txt file saying this: (my camera is a Canon 7D)

------------------------

cr2hdr: a post processing tool for Dual ISO images

Last update: 2f4e2df on 2013-12-02 17:45:36 UTC by alex:
cr2hdr: fix DNG compression under Windows

Active options:
--amaze-edge    : use a temporary demosaic step (AMaZE) followed by edge-directed interpolation (default)
--cs2x2         : apply 2x2 chroma smoothing in noisy and aliased areas (default)

Input file      : IMG_9439.CR2
Camera          : Canon EOS 5D Mark III
Full size       : 0 x 0
Active area     : 0 x 0

--------------------------------------------

The software says this:

-------------------------------------------

cr2hdr // Beta 2.0

Input file : IMG_9439.CR2
sh: dcraw: command not found sh: exiftool: command not found sh: dcraw: command not found Error: dcraw output is not a valid PGM file Logfile    : IMG_9439.txt

THE END 

----------------------------------

Thanks
César Oliveira

dfort

Whoa--that's an old build you are using. It looks like the "official" download linked here is also outdated.

Try the one I compiled when cr2hdr-20bit was merged into the unified branch:
https://bitbucket.org/daniel_fort/magic-lantern/downloads

It also looks like you're missing exiftool and dcraw. I included them in the zip file that I posted.

A couple more things. There is an issue with cr2hdr not being able to ID cameras and sometimes it seg faults. Follow these links for more information:

https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/issues/2403/cr2hdr-always-reporting-5d3-as-camera
http://magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=16166

CesarOliveiraPhotography

Hello dfort, thank you for answering me. I downloaded your files but I can't open it. cr2hdr open in terminal. What I need to do? 
Where can I find a tutorial?

Thank you