Dual ISO - massive dynamic range improvement (dual_iso.mo)

Started by a1ex, July 16, 2013, 06:33:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Licaon_Kter

Quote from: VanGogh7 on May 16, 2015, 06:52:58 PMbut the Dual ISO postprocessing isn't working.  :'(   Any suggestions?
Describe the problem.

You got the latest cr2hdr from here too: https://builds.magiclantern.fm/jenkins/view/Other%20tasks/job/cr2hdr-20bit/ right?

VanGogh7

Yes, this is what I made described from Alex in this thread:

For RAW video files: extract the DNGs with any method you like (e.g. raw2dng or mlv_dump), then drag the DNG files over cr2hdr.exe

when I drag the whole files over cr2hdr.exe I got this error: the file name or extension  is too long

No idea what this means!

Walter Schulz

Try to aviod files and directories containing blanks.
Copy files to (example!) C:\temp and retry.

VanGogh7

o.k. now it runs, but I have now a new error see image.

translated:

Input file   C:\Temp\A\A.....dng
the command dcraw is write wrong or could not find..
( the same for exiftool)

Camera: Canon EOS 5D Mark III

????

o.k. now I put the dngs on the same folder, it seems to work now. Wait a litte bit the process is slow...

the DNG files are due the repeated processing faulty. I tried to make a fresh converting of the MLV files to DNG and now it works.

One question, it seem necesary to put all .exe and DNG's in the same folder, right?

thanks Walter!

Licaon_Kter

Quote from: VanGogh7 on May 16, 2015, 11:52:16 PM
One question, it seem necesary to put all .exe and DNG's in the same folder, right?
yes
or put them ( cr2hdr, dcraw and exiftool) in C:\WINDOWS\ ;)

then SHIFT-rightclick on a folder -> Open command line here -> cr2hdr *

;)

Helmut

Hi, I´ve used cr2dng.exe at several computers and I was very happy with it.

With Windows 8.1 (which I hate for several reasons) I fail. I do the same thing as always - having the converter and the .cr2 in the same directory and moving the cr2 onto the converter.

For a _very_ short time a dos-window opens and closes itself immediately. No conversion happens. No .dng file is created. It closes itself so fast that it is impossible to read anything. So in case there is an error message I don´t see it. The pause key doen´t help.

What can I do?

Walter Schulz

Make sure to have dcraw and exiftool in the same directory where cr2hdr is located.

Helmut

BigAl

Hi I have just started using ML, on a 50D. At a recent airshow I used Dual ISO, with it set to alternate shots Dual/Normal. I have a few questions though. I had some problems downloading my files to my computer, and for some reason all the files managed to get deleted. I was able to use Test Disk/PhotoRec to recover all of my missing CR2 files and I have now loaded them into LR. I can visibly see which images are Dual ISO and which aren't. I am using the LR Plug In, but for quite a few of the images that are visibly obviously Dual ISO I receive an error message: This file dose not appear to be Dual ISO. Is there any way to force CR2HDR to process the file anyway? I would be willing to run the CR2HDR outside of LR if I had an easy way of telling which images were actually Dual ISO. I have also noted that I seem to have large numbers of images where it I have three Dual ISO exposures followed by three normal ISO exposures, but then there are also a number where they do indeed alternate. There are 2809 CR2 files from this one days shooting, so it would be really good to figure something out. I've yet to look at day to of the show, but that is only around 2400 images :D.

Alan

Audionut

Upload one of the images that is dual ISO but not being processed.  File sharing hosts.

If you take shots in rapid succession the alternate feature does not work.  So if the next image is due to be a dual ISO image, and you take a burst of 6 images, all those 6 images will be dual ISO, and vice-verse if they were due to be regular images.

BigAl

It's a shame that the alternating shot feature is fixed for bursts. I had been hoping to be able to get alternating shots to help with the comparison of the results. Unfortunately the conditions were quite poor for shooting most of the time, which reduced the DR quite a bit compared to "good" conditions.

I have put two CR2 files that were taken consecutively as part of a burst, they were both in the middle of the burst too, IMG_8650.CR2 would not convert, while IMG_8651.CR2 converted fine, I have also included the resulting .DNG, which was then processed in LR (processing not written to file). I have included another file IMG_9826.CR2 from a bit later in the day, which is also giving the error message. They are posted here on Dropbox.

I have also noted that the converted .DNG files are slightly larger, 4770 px on the long edge, than the CR2 files, which are 4752 px. I take it that is is normal?

Thanks

Alan

BigAl

Sorry to have been a pain, it seems I have found the problem. It is the way I am trying to initiate the Export from LR. I created a Dual ISO export preset, with the log file turned off. If I use right click and select the preset from the list I get the error message. If I make a selection that causes the Export Dialogue to open, and then select the preset it works fine. I just used the Export Button at the bottom of the left side bar, and converted the problem files that I have posted above. Odd quirk, but I can certainly live with it.

Alan

Audionut

Quote from: BigAl on June 04, 2015, 09:16:12 PMI have also noted that the converted .DNG files are slightly larger, 4770 px on the long edge, than the CR2 files, which are 4752 px. I take it that is is normal?

Yes.  Canon shaves off a few pixels, ML doesn't.

timkev

I've got a problem with dual iso on my 5D mark II. Half of the photos were fine and half were corrupt. Latest cr2hdr software was used.

Here's the original, unprocessed file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/igkh8rvdqrqnexe/IMG_1569.CR2?dl=0
Here's how it looks: http://i.imgur.com/jYpTVip.jpg

And here's the processed original file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/xqy3kug0w8lcq7n/IMG_1569.DNG?dl=0
And how it looks: http://i.imgur.com/EMGE2ey.jpg

How is that so? Half fine and half corrupt? Is there a way to fix that?

a1ex

timkev

Quote from: a1ex on June 12, 2015, 11:35:43 PM
Try to reproduce the issue on a different card.
I have no other cards unfortunately... The card I used was Transcend CF UDMA 7 1000x 32GB.

So is it a card issue? And there's no fix for the pictures I've already made?

a1ex

Quote from: timkev on June 13, 2015, 10:10:48 AM
So is it a card issue?

Either a card issue, or a card reader issue. The embedded JPEG in the sample CR2 is not corrupted, so it's clearly not a sensor issue. Furthermore, dcraw reports:

IMG_1569.CR2: Corrupt data near 0x110109d

And there's no fix for the pictures I've already made?

If you still have the photos on the card, try downloading them with another card reader. If that doesn't work, it's hard.

Recovering a dual ISO image from a JPEG is not possible, though you may be able to recover a grayscale copy.

Your best bet is to figure out what bytes are damaged in the CR2 and recover them. There are some tools around that say they can do this, but I have no experience with them.

Slasheal

Hey. I struggle with dual iso video since yesterday, so I decided to make a post.
It works flawlessly in photo mode, but in video mode, I just don't get "dual iso dng", but normal dngs.
Dual iso is activated but is shown in gray, with the text bellow, in orange: "(MOVIE) This feature requires you shooting raw"
Of course I'm shooting raw. I seen on some older posts that you have to activate "hdr video" in video menu. But I don't have such option.

When I extract the dngs of the .mlv file obtained.. It's just not some dual iso files.
I don't get what I'm doing wrong...  :-[

dmilligan

Slasheal

dmilligan

[email protected]

Ive been 3 hours trying to understand how to mix the 2 dngs in a single stream of dngs and I can`t understand anything on this thread. Look like chineese for me. Please any easy way of walkthrought like for dummies, for the 5D MARK 2. I have recorded a clip and converted to DNGs. Now what? I have downloaded cr2hdr app but when I drag the dngs give me an error like trying to reach "exitwhatever" module and dcraw, but I cant find this stuff to install in the forum and when I get something is like a text for the terminal or for a website in code that I dont really get what is that. Please, help.

By the way, how many frames per second can the 5D MArk 2 reach in HDR? Thanks

Walter Schulz

[email protected]

THANKS!

I have used the bin directory and execute the 3 files in my mac. Now what? Where I have to drag the folder with the dngs? im lost. I does nothing doing it into the terminal after executing cr2hdr.

Thanks

Danne

You could try this one for mac
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=15108.msg146822#msg146822

Also noticed you ask for HDR but that is completely different from Dual iso workflow so don,t really understand what you are trying to do here.