Magic Lantern (RAW) Video format v2.0 (mlv_rec.mo)

Started by g3gg0, July 15, 2013, 10:58:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

g3gg0

Quote from: NedB on December 22, 2013, 01:51:34 PM
I did notice that the sound file was a bit longer than the .dng sequence (I was shooting at 25fps): 19.00 seconds vs. 18 seconds, 20 frames for the video. I simply assumed that the starting points were in sync and the sound file cut off a bit later than the video, and that seems to have been a correct assumption, although a longer (few minutes) test is in order to check this thoroughly.

thanks for the feedback. you are right. recording starts with the first frame (to be verified)
and records about 0.5 sec longer because the buffers are already queued for filling when you stop recording.
as soon the buffers are done filling, audio recording stops
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

auxmar

Hello

When i try to extract the dng's on mac with mlv_dump, i got this message, and i can't see the audio files :

Vertical stripes correction:
  1.000  1.000  0.997  0.994  0.993  0.990  0.999  1.018
[i] Unknown Block: AUDF, skipping
[i] Reached end of chunk 0/1 after 766 blocks
[i] Processed 265 video frames
[i] Done

g3gg0

thats obvious because you dont use the latest version...
i added sound support last night, so needless to say that you need to get an updated version....
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]

auxmar

Thank you for you response, but i only found on your file the linux and windows version ... any chance to have the osx mlv_dump ?

escho

audio works on 600D too (if I have enabled audio-recording in canon-menu).
mlv_dump creates a wav-file which I can playback, using mplayer for example
mlv-viewer crashes:
edgar@linux-uoww:~/Software/MagicLantern> mono MLVViewSharp.exe
KDE colorscheme read failure, using built-in colorscheme

Unhandled Exception:
System.IO.DirectoryNotFoundException: Could not find a part of the path "/HOME/EDGAR/AUDIOTEST/M22-1707.IDX".
  at System.IO.FileStream..ctor (System.String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, Boolean anonymous, FileOptions options) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.IO.FileStream..ctor (System.String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, Boolean isAsync, Boolean anonymous) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.IO.FileStream..ctor (System.String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at (wrapper remoting-invoke-with-check) System.IO.FileStream:.ctor (string,System.IO.FileMode,System.IO.FileAccess)
  at mlv_view_sharp.MLVReader.SaveIndex () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at mlv_view_sharp.MLVReader.UpdateIndex () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at mlv_view_sharp.MLVReader..ctor (System.String fileName, mlv_view_sharp.MLVBlockHandler handler) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at mlv_view_sharp.MLVViewerForm.PlayFile () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.Threading.Thread.StartInternal () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
[ERROR] FATAL UNHANDLED EXCEPTION: System.IO.DirectoryNotFoundException: Could not find a part of the path "/HOME/EDGAR/AUDIOTEST/M22-1707.IDX".
  at System.IO.FileStream..ctor (System.String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, Boolean anonymous, FileOptions options) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.IO.FileStream..ctor (System.String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, Boolean isAsync, Boolean anonymous) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.IO.FileStream..ctor (System.String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at (wrapper remoting-invoke-with-check) System.IO.FileStream:.ctor (string,System.IO.FileMode,System.IO.FileAccess)
  at mlv_view_sharp.MLVReader.SaveIndex () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at mlv_view_sharp.MLVReader.UpdateIndex () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at mlv_view_sharp.MLVReader..ctor (System.String fileName, mlv_view_sharp.MLVBlockHandler handler) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at mlv_view_sharp.MLVViewerForm.PlayFile () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.Threading.Thread.StartInternal () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
edgar@linux-uoww:~/Software/MagicLantern>

I donĀ“t find a .idx-file anywhere.

Edgar
https://sternenkarten.com/
600D, 6D, openSUSE Tumbleweed

g3gg0

thanks for testing.

about mono: is this directory writeable for your current user?

escho

which dir? mono is /usr/bin/mono on opensuse an not writeable.

Edgar

g3gg0

escho

Quote from: g3gg0 on December 22, 2013, 05:09:54 PM
/HOME/EDGAR/AUDIOTEST/M22-1707.IDX
/HOME/EDGAR/AUDIOTEST is writeable.
/HOME/EDGAR/AUDIOTEST/M22-1707.IDX does not exist.

Edgar

kgv5

g3gg0, this is simply amazing  :D

After some initial test (5d3, KB64 1000x, 1920x818 25fps)

-some dropped frames after unpacking with the newest mlv_dump (first time - over 40 out of ~400, second time - 1 out of 600)
This was with card spanning ON, i didnt notice. Will check with spanning OFF.

EDIT: dropped frames were because of spanning, with OFF is OK.

-sound out of mlv_dump seems to be  slower than picture, it is pitched down a lot. Tried with 25fps, no fps override.

EDIT: after some further testing it is still an issue.

I hope that this long awaited feature will now trigger devs of RAWanizer, raw magic, batchelor and others to create some form of mlv_dump with GUI. Now it is time to switch to the new format  :D
www.pilotmovies.pl   5D Mark III, 6D, 550D

kfprod

Thank you this is great!

Unfortunately I can't get the audio out yet as there is no new mlv_dump for mac. I also have the problem that I have to rename any IDX file (to IDX.bak for example) otherwise I get "Missing file header".

g3gg0

Quote from: kgv5 on December 22, 2013, 05:37:11 PM
-sound out of mlv_dump seems to be  slower than picture, it is pitched down a lot. Tried with 25fps, no fps override.

sound is recorded using 44100 samples/sec. i cannot imagine what you mean with being slower than the video.
guess your fps setting was wrong ;)

kgv5

Quote from: g3gg0 on December 22, 2013, 07:42:27 PM
sound is recorded using 44100 samples/sec. i cannot imagine what you mean with being slower than the video.

I mean that after unpacking with mlv_dumb and importing dngs to NLE (after effects cs6 in my case) video stream has different lenght than sound stream. I checked import settings and it is 25 like in camera so this is not an issue. When i am playing back sound is "slower" - like 70-80 percent of video stream (which gives "lower" sound). But it can be corrected of course, have to figure out by how much. Maybe i am doing something wrong so i will make more testing.
But it is great, really, i am very happy, maybe i could keep my zoom H1 and not spend more money on H6 for now. Thanks
www.pilotmovies.pl   5D Mark III, 6D, 550D

aaphotog

Quote from: g3gg0 on December 22, 2013, 07:42:27 PM
44.1khz is audio for cds/mp3s... music
video has 48khz audio.

g3gg0

Quote from: aaphotog on December 22, 2013, 08:06:12 PM
44.1khz is audio for cds/mp3s... music
video has 48khz audio.

nevertheless the .wav has set 44100 Hz and the audio data comes with 44100 samples per second.
i just double checked that. just play the .wav in any player and it plays correctly.

if you now import that and say "wow, hey ignore the 44100 Hz from WAV header and use 48000 Hz instead!" then its not my fault.

until there is a audio format setup screen, it is 44100 Hz.

swinxx

hello.
soundrecording with canon 5d mk3.. whow.. great. thx so much.. will test it as soon as possilbe.

in the meantime, can someone please compile an updated mac version of the new mlv_dump..
thx. so much.

greets. sw

g3gg0

OSX Users:

i recently installed a OSX machine inside a virtual box.
after some struggle regarding installation of the necessary stuff i was able to compile mlv_dump in the VM.

can you try this mlv_dump?

update:
if you use OSX 10.6 or 10.7 does the link above work?
if not, can you try this mlv_dump?

ilguercio

Quote from: g3gg0 on December 22, 2013, 08:36:08 AM
please use a recent version of magic lantern.
you are using an outdated custom build.
There is none in the nightly builds for the 6D anymore, as you might know.
Canon EOS 6D, 60D, 50D.
Sigma 70-200 EX OS HSM, Sigma 70-200 Apo EX HSM, Samyang 14 2.8, Samyang 35 1.4, Samyang 85 1.4.
Proud supporter of Magic Lantern.

andy kh

5D Mark III - 70D

Danne

Audio, this is good. Thanks for all your work g3ggo.
Trying the mac binary but can,t get it to act the way the former binary acts. It says its a document file rather than a unixbased file like the former binary? Do I extract as usual? Only tried with an older .MLV file, not with recorded sound though.

By the way. If someone uploads a .MLV with audio @Baldand will start working on getting it extracted through his pythonbased rawviewer.
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=9560.msg92659;topicseen#msg92659

rob_6

g3ggo! Amazing! The audio is great and is totally in sync for a full 30 second test I just completed! This is so exciting to see the audio being developed for mlv_rec. Thank you again!

Here is some feedback and questions for you g3ggo or anyone else. (I am new to mlv_rec so I apologize ahead of time if the questions are already common knowledge)
1. Like a few people mentioned above... I also get a "missing header" error message when using mlv_dump on pc unless I rename the extension of the .IDX file. It also works if I just move the .IDX file to another directory.
2. The OSX version of mlv_dump file that you just posted didn't work for me. I think Danne is right in the post above where he mentions the file is not a unixbased file and maybe that is causing some issue.
3. When recording I loose the ML overlays and I also loose the 16:9 black bar crop on the screen. This might be a known issue, but I wasn't sure if I needed to set a setting to fix it. Also, when I stop the recording the ML overlays don't come back until I hit the preview button twice.

Thanks again for all the hard work! I really appreciate it. The addition of audio is going to make my life so much easier!

g3gg0

Danne

Thanks g3gg0, worked! Will try to extract audio now...
Worked, the regular command extracts both audio and dng,s with your mac binary. How wonderful!

Mac-instruction

1 - download g3gg0 binary from "Reply #891"
2 - Run this command in terminal in the directory of the binary(mlv_dump.osx)to "executes" chmod +x ./mlv_dump.osx

Then run the usual commands

1. don't use spaces
2. first cd into a directory ("cd  <directory>" and note the SPACE after cd)
3. then execute  ./mlv_dump --dng <filename>" (ENTER THE FILENAME MANUALLY WITHOUT ANY PATH)
4. if this works, try using drag'n'drop or whatever, but first try to get it executing the most simple way as described in 1. to 3.

Thanks g3gg0!

rob_6

Quote from: g3gg0 on December 23, 2013, 01:12:46 AM
can you try to exec
chmod +x ./mlv_dump.osx
g3gg0,

Yes, that fixed it! I have it working on my OSX 10.8.5. I still had to rename the IDX extension so it would ignore it, but it has the same behavior on the pc.

Thanks for the tip!

Here was the command I used to create the dng's and audio file: ./mlv_dump.osx --dng M22-1413.MLV

crazypig

Dear g3gg0,

Thanks for your great surprise before this christmas.

I really want to test the mlv_snd.

But i can't find it in the updated nighty bulid.

Regards,

Sean