Author Topic: Dual ISO - massive dynamic range improvement (dual_iso.mo)  (Read 1655966 times)

kayman1021

• New to the forum
Re: Dual ISO - massive dynamic range improvement (dual_iso.mo)
« Reply #3075 on: June 09, 2020, 05:59:20 PM »
tools used
dng frames and an mlv

@masc
I completely forgot mlvapp is capable of this, thanks for reminding

@Danne
Uploaded on "dng frames and mlv"
0_corrected_I_raw_corr_disabled.dng is that i made outside of mlvapp, the others are from the original, exported with different raw correction settings.
Mine does not look good as dng somehow, but i attached an mlv that contains the first frame of the round trip file. There is looks okay.

@adrjork
I have MLV App v1.11
Also i zipped the tools as "tools used"
EOS 100D, Xiaomi A1

Danne

• Contributor
« Reply #3076 on: June 09, 2020, 10:02:54 PM »
Trying to wrap my head around this. So, the first dng is the one that converts successful?
0_corrected_I_raw_corr_disabled.dng

Could you tell me or upload a dng that you know for sure you are able to convert that looks ok? I just tried cr2hdr from 2016 but still getting stripes.I just need one of your dng files that you are able to convert, nothing else.

kayman1021

• New to the forum
EOS 100D, Xiaomi A1

adrjork

« Reply #3078 on: June 10, 2020, 05:54:47 AM »
It works...
I've no words kayman1021.
With your apps' version my dual-ISOs get solved. I don't even need raw2mlv because I uploaded the DNGs directly into Davinci... and it finally works.

Now, just to be fussy, passing throuh cr2hdr is a “pain-in-the-a@@” workflow: very-very-very time-consuming.

@Danne: is there any future chance to see this sort of “legacy” dual-ISO-conversion option in Switch?

Danne

• Contributor
« Reply #3079 on: June 10, 2020, 07:00:28 AM »
If I know what version and from what branch I could look into what's going on. If it's even cr2hdr but probably is.
Shouldn't be too hard for a windows user to obtain this info.

Thanks for the file @kayman1021. It doesn´t wothout lines convert on my mac so it depends on your version of cr2hdr. If you could find from what branch and version I could look into it.

adrjork

« Reply #3080 on: June 10, 2020, 09:47:02 AM »
I'm not really a Windows user and I'm not a coder, anyway the working cr2hdr.exe has been created 4 Dec 2017, and HERE i found Commit 06fae84 dated 4 Dec 2017... Is it anything useful?

kayman1021

• New to the forum
« Reply #3081 on: June 10, 2020, 10:10:03 AM »
I am at work now, if arrive at home i'll check (5 hours from now)
It's probably the version on ML Downloads/Utilities
EOS 100D, Xiaomi A1

Danne

• Contributor
« Reply #3082 on: June 10, 2020, 10:16:52 AM »
No specified branch but should be included in the binary info I think.

adrjork

« Reply #3083 on: June 10, 2020, 10:35:46 AM »
It's probably the version on ML Downloads/Utilities
Apparently yes: same creation date. Perhaps silly question: does libraw.dll matter somehow?

No specified branch but should be included in the binary info I think.
Can you tell me how can I extract this info for you? (In OSX I opened the .exe with Keka, and now I have some docs in a folder. I opened them with an Hex editor and the only one not-in-alien-language is a doc named “19” in which there is written «GNU C 4.9.0 20130523 (experimental) -m32 -mtune=generic -march=pentiumpro -g -O2 -std=gnu99». Is it anything useful? I guess not...)

Danne

• Contributor
« Reply #3084 on: June 10, 2020, 11:12:57 AM »
Ok, compiled from cr2hdr branch which seems to be the one used successfully here:
https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/branch/cr2hdr

I managed to convert the uploaded dng correctly with a mac binary so obviously it should work.

I updated Switch, please test:
https://bitbucket.org/Dannephoto/switch/downloads/Switch.dmg

Also a mac binary here:
https://bitbucket.org/Dannephoto/magic-lantern/downloads/cr2hdr

EDIT: Tested Switch and problem still persists so @kayman1021 round trip to rebake the dng fixed it. We need to examine what data is missing originally. Phew, complicated stuff.

EDIT: Tested again and the mlv_dump not coming from bouncyball works straight out of the box with the updated version of cr2hdr. In Switch select (m)  mlv_dump(MLV)

So, the problem seems related to mlv_dump version. cr2hdr doesn´t like the dng from the updated mlv_dump code.

masc

• Contributor
« Reply #3085 on: June 10, 2020, 12:36:46 PM »
@Danne: do you see the difference between the versions? Is it the same algorithm as in MLVApp? Worth to change it?
5D2.212 | EOSM.202

Danne

• Contributor
« Reply #3086 on: June 10, 2020, 01:04:16 PM »
Yes. Mlv App has those issues. Will probably fix those flickery bugs and maybe finally dual iso will become reliable.

Danne

• Contributor
« Reply #3087 on: June 11, 2020, 09:11:20 AM »
What works now in Switch for dual iso for both mlv_dump version are:
    (05) do not fix cold pixels  added!
    (07) disable vertical stripes in highlights  added!

Disable cold pixel and vertical stripes. Now cr2hdr chews the files normally again...

adrjork

« Reply #3088 on: June 11, 2020, 05:39:16 PM »
You almost did it, Danne. Great job anyway!
I tested 7 most problematic dual-ISO mlvs, and new Switch does work for 6, and fails only for 1.
That one gives a weird result: the converted dngs are a sequence that alternates bunches of good-dngs and bunches of bad-dngs. The bunches contain different numbers of dngs, for example the first bunches contain respectively 8-good-dngs, 2-bad-dngs, 8-good-dngs, 10-bad-dngs, 2-good-dngs, etc.
Good-dngs have extension in uppercase (.DNG) whilst bad-dngs have extension in lowercase (.dng).
The curious thing is that importing the dngs-folder into Davinci, the software can't recognize a unique sequence, instead it imports all the bunches separately (each one with 8, 2, 8, 10, 2, etc. dng-frames)
I uploaded the first 30 dngs of the folder HERE, and also a shortened version of the problematic mlv HERE (the original file was 15GB, so I used MLVApp, RAW Correction disabled, codec MLV Fast Pass).

Danne

• Contributor
« Reply #3089 on: June 11, 2020, 07:50:22 PM »
Usually when not all files are converted it means cr2hdr algoritm have a hard time detecting dualiso on the file. Trying a second time sometimes works but probably the file itself wasn´t a perfect dualiso example. Sorry, I can´t download atm, on a very slow connection. Could you upload maybe a single dng file that wouldn´t convert?

adrjork

« Reply #3090 on: June 12, 2020, 08:03:35 AM »
Tried a second chance with that single problematic file gave a perfect result.
I correct myself: you COMPLETELY did it.
Sincerely many congrats for your amazing work.