Magic Lantern (RAW) Video format v2.0 (mlv_rec.mo)

Started by g3gg0, July 15, 2013, 10:58:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

g3gg0

Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

Jakobmen

Canon 5D3

rob_6

Is there any audio support other than the sync beep for mlv_rec at this point?

Thanks!

g3gg0

magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]

jose_ugs

g3gg0

jose_ugs

Isn't it a good solution for audio sync (if your equipment can take advantage of it, of course)?

g3gg0

Quote from: jose_ugs on December 18, 2013, 12:41:58 PM
Isn't it a good solution for audio sync (if your equipment can take advantage of it, of course)?

uhm, yes it is.
the module is available with nearly all functions people wanted, but noone really checked if it is working for their workflow.
it was even included in most mlv_rec builds i uploaded here.

see this thread: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=7764.0

do you have real equipment to play with it?

jose_ugs

I'm waiting for a Tascam DR-60D to show up real soon & i'll be on it!!!

Offtopic: Is there a way to "follow" a thread, without having to post there? I want to watch this SMTPE thread in case of new development/new posts...

g3gg0

update:
- added mlv_snd which adds audio recording to mlv_rec

HowTo:
- unpack modules into ML/MODULES directory
- enable mlv_snd module
- go to "Audio" menu and enable "MLV Sound"
- record a video using mlv_rec
- test the video on your computer (mlv_dump or MLV Viewer latest revision)

when you call './mlv_dump -o <outname>', it will create a .wav
(thanks to Jarno Paananen)

can you test it whether it works for you? tried on
5D3: works
7D: no audio recorded

rob_6

Quote from: g3gg0 on December 22, 2013, 01:02:45 AM
update:
- added mlv_snd which adds audio recording to mlv_rec

you can play it using
a) my MLV Viewer or
b) when you use 'mlv_dump -o <outname>' which will create a .wav (thanks to Jarno Paananen, https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/pull-request/309/add-wav-header-to-audio-output-file-and/diff)

can you test it whether it works for you? tried on
5D3: works
7D: no audio recorded

g3gg0,

Is mlv_snd part of the latest nightly build? I would love to test it out for my 5D3. Thanks so much for all the hard work and updates!

ilguercio

I just tried on my 6D and i can see the meters but apparently i can't hear any audio recorded.
Am i doing it wrong?
I am viewing the MLV file in MLV viewer but can't hear anything.
Suggestions?
Canon EOS 6D, 60D, 50D.
Sigma 70-200 EX OS HSM, Sigma 70-200 Apo EX HSM, Samyang 14 2.8, Samyang 35 1.4, Samyang 85 1.4.
Proud supporter of Magic Lantern.

g3gg0

edit:
re-uploaded the package, the module was missing in the .zip.

ilguercio

Oh, that's what i am missing.
I thought it was in the zip file but indeed it isn't.
Am i missing something again?
Canon EOS 6D, 60D, 50D.
Sigma 70-200 EX OS HSM, Sigma 70-200 Apo EX HSM, Samyang 14 2.8, Samyang 35 1.4, Samyang 85 1.4.

g3gg0

mea culpa, i didnt drop it onto the .zip, but next to it.
re-uploaded, please test again ;)
updated the post before with installation instruction.

-> enable mlv_snd, go to audio menu and enable "MLV Sound". then you can record.

ilguercio

Still no luck.
I get FFT graphs but apparently no audio is recorded. I am playing MLV files on the viewer with everything on low so it's fast.
I also got a crash, i am trying to reproduce it.
QuoteASSERT: FALSE
at ./ASIF/ASIF.c:444, task beep_task
lv:1 mode:3

Magic Lantern version : Tragic.2013Nov09.6D113
Mercurial changeset   : a315c155c985 (unified) tip
Built on 2013-11-09 17:19:15 UTC by User@PC.
Free Memory  : 302K + 1694K
Also i am getting "audio failed to stop state 4" in the middle of a recording sometimes.
Canon EOS 6D, 60D, 50D.

Jakobmen

i hear audio in MLviewer but i don't understand how to output the DNG with audio.. any help please..  test on 5D3
Canon 5D3

ilguercio

Canon EOS 6D, 60D, 50D.

g3gg0

Quote from: ilguercio on December 22, 2013, 03:18:21 AM
I also got a crash, i am trying to reproduce it.Also i am getting "audio failed to stop state 4" in the middle of a recording sometimes.
please use a recent version of magic lantern.
you are using an outdated custom build.

g3gg0

Quote from: Jakobmen on December 22, 2013, 05:13:36 AM
i hear audio in MLviewer but i don't understand how to output the DNG with audio.. any help please..  test on 5D3
did you try mlv_dump already?

naturalsound

I can not believe you added AUDIO SUPPORT!  :D 8)
It really works for me on 5D3 (Komputerbay 128GB, Fill:3 Buffer:4 CF & SD: Mode S1)
(Edit: CF-only: 8 works more reliable)
This is a niiice x-mas present!

PS: Test-Mode freezes sometimes using the nightly build (Dec 22 2013). This happens after about 3-5 aquisitions stopped by a skipframe.

andy kh

5D Mark III - 70D

Jakobmen

Canon 5D3

NedB

@g3gg0, andy kh: sound recording works on 550D!

Steps I took:
- Downloaded latest (22Dec) nightly build for the 550D, also your mlv_rec.zip file from the first post of this thread
- Installed nightly build on my SD card by simply copying it over the existing files
- Extracted mlv_snd.mo from the .zip file and copied it into the MODULES folder on the card
- Enabled mlv_play, mlv_rec, and mlv_send, rebooted to load modules
- Enabled "MLV Sound" in Audio menu
- Recorded a short (18 sec) clip (using mlv_rec, obviously, and not raw_rec), which was called M22-1151.MLV
- Clip played back in camera, created a file M22-1151.IDX
- Tried to get mlv_dump (also from your mlv_rec.zip file) to work, but it kept giving error message about "Missing header"
- Renamed index file (created in camera) to M22-1151.IDX.bak and now mlv_dump works with following command (assumes a copy of mlv_dump.exe has been copied to C:\) :
        C:\>mlv_dump --dng "E:\raw tests\20131222\M22-1151.MLV"    ## replace the path with YOUR path to the .MLV file
- After this the typical processing with Photoshop CC (for ACR, synchronizing all .dng's to the selected settings), then After Effects CC -> Adobe Media Encoder to render as H.264 .mp4 file

I did notice that the sound file was a bit longer than the .dng sequence (I was shooting at 25fps): 19.00 seconds vs. 18 seconds, 20 frames for the video. I simply assumed that the starting points were in sync and the sound file cut off a bit later than the video, and that seems to have been a correct assumption, although a longer (few minutes) test is in order to check this thoroughly.

Very nice that we have sound with raw now, excellent work! Cheers...
550D - Kit Lens | EF 50mm f/1.8 | Zacuto Z-Finder Pro 2.5x | SanDisk ExtremePro 95mb/s | Tascam DR-100MkII