[IMPOSSIBLE] Can you increase flash sync speeds with ML !?

Started by NitromanX, June 03, 2013, 10:42:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NitromanX

Hi !

I've been playing around with high speed fill flash sync outdoors in the sun to allow large apertures and shallow DOF. Perfect for fill flash portraits in full sun.

However, whilst my Canon 580EXII flashgun allows me to sync up to 1/8000 sec and at wide apertures like f2.8, the portable flash power limits the distance i can shoot to about 1 or 2 meters with 85mm lens on 5D2.

I realise ML can't increase the power of my flash gun (!), but if the shutter exposure was undertaken with electronics rather than focal plane would this effectively allow for increase in distance from hand held flash gun ? I'm guessing it could only be performed with mirror up or in live view mode, but could this work ?

I'm not 100% sure how the high speed sync feature works on my Canon flash gun, but i understand it's limited by the mechanical movement of the focal plane shutter.

Is this right ?

If ML can use electronic shutter (rather than mechanical focal plane shutter), could it effectively make our lenses leaf shutter lenses ? These are previously limited to the expensive world of medium format.

Perhaps somebody smarter than me can give me an answer or implement this as new feature in the awesome Magic Lantern firmware ?  ;D ::) :) 

Marsu42

Quote from: NitromanX on June 03, 2013, 10:42:09 PM
However, whilst my Canon 580EXII flashgun allows me to sync up to 1/8000 sec and at wide apertures like f2.8, the portable flash power limits the distance i can shoot to about 1 or 2 meters with 85mm lens on 5D2.

No problem there - just use more than one flash (see Syl Arena's Speedliter's Guide on this)... there was a another thread about faster x-sync recently, but about "hypersync" which leaves a black bar at the bottom.