Canon 700D / T5i

Started by nanomad, June 01, 2013, 12:55:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

godashram

and it appears to have popped up in the nightly....

9004: Add 700d stubs for audio meters and beep

9003: Add 700d beep and audio meters feature

9002: Add 700d define for CONFIG_BEEP

9001: Remove 700d define for audio threshold
Canon T5I, EOS M2

mk11174

The audio module for mlv_snd is not included in nightly so if you want sound, stay up to date with the latest mlv_rec and mlv_snd modules here.
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=7122.msg59525#msg59525
500D/T1i  550D/T2i  600D/T3i  700D/T5i

PiNgOa

Hello there, I am a French guy and I have just received my 700D and almost installed ML the minute after :D

I am now discovering this new world but I already have a little question about the focus stacking option. I think there is some kind of conflict between the ML autofocus and the Canon one because I can see that ML moves the focus of 4 steps as I have set it but then the camera tries to use the normal autofocus and takes the pic.

So the question is : how to disable the autofocus after the focus steps I have set ? I have tried all the AF options in the Canon firmware but still the same, the camera always tries to do the autofocus after the few steps of the stacking option...

llburg

Just want to say thank you to all the people hard at work on the T5i port!
I'm having a few issues however. Aside from the bugginess (shutter speed setting sometimes doesn't stick, menus closing, etc.) I had this weird noise pattern show up when I was testing the RAW video @ 720p. (See attachment) Also, a few frames had weird color cast and several were black and white. I was wondering if anybody else had seen this:

mk11174

mk11174

Quote from: llburg on January 11, 2014, 10:55:00 PM
Just want to say thank you to all the people hard at work on the T5i port!
I'm having a few issues however. Aside from the bugginess (shutter speed setting sometimes doesn't stick, menus closing, etc.) I had this weird noise pattern show up when I was testing the RAW video @ 720p. (See attachment) Also, a few frames had weird color cast and several were black and white. I was wondering if anybody else had seen this:
I know about the dot pattern, that is how the newer cameras are, you have to use pink dot remove to get rid of them, I forgot where the thread was, I guess look up pink dot, might be good.

I myself had not had any other bugs yet.

BASSPRO

Oops, the Nightly Build is broken?

mk11174

Quote from: BASSPRO on January 12, 2014, 07:15:34 PM
Oops, the Nightly Build is broken?
What is broken for you? I just downloaded it and works fine?

BASSPRO

The modules menu appears to have disappeared.

Walter Schulz

With latest build?
This problem was identified for 650D and some code has been disabled for now.

mk11174

Quote from: BASSPRO on January 13, 2014, 03:27:39 PM
The modules menu appears to have disappeared.
Yeah, this is an issue with the 650D, but with plenty of testing I have not lost the menu at all. But if more people report the bug, I will commit to disable the beep, this will fix the issue for sure.

Try starting fresh though and delete ML folder and Autoexec.bin file from card and add new files from Nightly and check for sure, if it does not come back and stay back, I will remove the Beep Task, I guess we really don't need the beep anyway, not vital.

Just strange how I have not had any issues handling the version with the beep which is why I left it in there and only took it off the 650D.

a1ex

Quote from: mk11174 on January 13, 2014, 04:44:08 PM
Just strange how I have not had any issues handling the version with the beep which is why I left it in there and only took it off the 650D.

The number of tasks is variable (both for Canon firmware and ML). I'd even advise to disable audio meters completely until it's fixed properly (this feature starts two tasks), otherwise you'll keep having this kind of issues that are hard to reproduce (works for some, but not for others).

mk11174

Quote from: a1ex on January 13, 2014, 04:56:29 PM
The number of tasks is variable (both for Canon firmware and ML). I'd even advise to disable audio meters completely until it's fixed properly (this feature starts two tasks), otherwise you'll keep having this kind of issues that are hard to reproduce (works for some, but not for others).
I figured out how he probably got it to vanish, I never looked for module menu in photo only mode, I always use movie mode right away, I just tried photo and no more module menu, but still shows everytime if I go straight to movie mode from off, always gone if I go just to photo mode.

disabling beep from internals brings it back in both both just like 650D.

The camera runs solid with meters though, I even am using them full time with the patch I added for my build at least and it runs great even using mlv_rec with ettr and dual_iso all at same time and also mlv_snd, no issues at all and even booting cam with all modules on.

So I don't think turning off meters is needed, unless other models have issues once beep is off, then OK 8] But I am sure everyone likes the meters on.

UPDATE: Sent changes to get rid off the beep, so after other testers get the new nightly with the changes we can go from there on the meters.

a1ex

Once some feature will require one more task, things will break. There's no error checking in ML when a task can't be created, so things will fail silently (you may not even notice it).

FYI: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Factor_of_safety

and "works for me" is not a synonymous for "runs solid".

mk11174

Quote from: a1ex on January 13, 2014, 05:12:07 PM
Once some feature will require one more task, things will break. There's no error checking in ML when a task can't be created, so things will fail silently (you may not even notice it).
and "works for me" is not a synonymous for "runs solid".
Well, I never did say it ran sold, I was only saying keep the meters because users like them and it is very aware that there are risks on all builds, I was just saying, maybe when other testers report in, then we will know for sure if it stable to run meters, we won't know unless others test it, correct?

I don't mind taking them off, I was just saying they run fine for me, so it is worth for others to test as well.

Or I can take them off in the nightly and maybe post a version in this forum for testing only?? Would that be better for you? I would like more feedback from other testers though.

PiNgOa

No one to help me with my focus stacking problem out there ?  :(

a1ex

I quoted from your post ;)

What I'm trying to tell you is that you should not just try to push features, but also have some common sense and leave some safety margins. A proper fix requires serious refactoring of a lot of ML code; once that is done, there will be no more problems with the number of tasks.

mk11174

Quote from: PiNgOa on January 13, 2014, 05:25:19 PM
No one to help me with my focus stacking problem out there ?  :(
Maybe you have Continuous AF Enabled in Canon???

Let me know if that is the fix for your issue and I will add it to the help menu.

a1ex

If continuous AF is the problem, the proper fix is to print this advice in the menu.

mk11174

Quote from: a1ex on January 13, 2014, 05:26:20 PM
I quoted from your post ;)

What I'm trying to tell you is that you should not just try to push features, but also have some common sense and leave some safety margins. A proper fix requires serious refactoring of a lot of ML code; once that is done, there will be no more problems with the number of tasks.
Yeah, I said "works for me" but I never said it "runs solid" I would never assume ML runs solid because there are always new updates that can cause issues and do cause issues, just like all the bugs that happen everyday with ML, but unless it is tested than how will we know.

Don't want to sound harsh, but I do have plenty of common sense, I am just here to help people, don't want to cause any trouble, and when I post a build, I say for testing if anyone wants to try. I can't force anyone to test it, it is totally up to them.

And after these last few posts I am sure everyone will even be more aware that its still in test phase.

But you are way more experienced then I am so I will do as you ask and kill the meters, but I will also note: that I will share the meter version if anyone wants it, they can just message me so the build is not on the forum since you don't think it is safe and wont have to be responsable for it.

Walter Schulz

@a1ex: Thought the task number thing was off the list after running those tests on 650D?

And if there is anything darker than nightly to be tested on a 650D: Count me in for the next few hours.

Ciao
Walter

a1ex

After some chat with mk, he confirmed that some tasks did not start, so it's still the primary suspect.

PiNgOa

Quote from: a1ex on January 13, 2014, 05:31:11 PM
If continuous AF is the problem, the proper fix is to print this advice in the menu.

It doesn't seem to be the continuous AF in Canon menu, I don't use it anyway even without ML running 'cause it just makes me sick to see my lens focusing all the time :D

No it just seems that the camera is makin the One Shot AF after the focus stacking steps and before taking the picture, so it just ruins the focus stacking obviously  ;D

There is no way to disable the Canon AF temporarily so that I could use the focus stacking option ?

mk11174

Quote from: PiNgOa on January 14, 2014, 12:01:44 AM
It doesn't seem to be the continuous AF in Canon menu, I don't use it anyway even without ML running 'cause it just makes me sick to see my lens focusing all the time :D

No it just seems that the camera is makin the One Shot AF after the focus stacking steps and before taking the picture, so it just ruins the focus stacking obviously  ;D

There is no way to disable the Canon AF temporarily so that I could use the focus stacking option ?
Darn!! Sorry man, was hoping it would be a simple fix for you. Not sure about the fix at all  :(

mk11174

Anyone here interested in the version with Audio Meters enabled you can find any latest versions here that I will keep up to date best I can with the main repo so it will also have all the latest stuff you see in the Nightly, but this version will have the meters. I took out the beep so we don't lose the Modules menu in Photo Mode.

https://bitbucket.org/mk11174/t5i/downloads

Please report back in this thread if the meter version is as stable as the nightly, maybe with enough OK's, maybe they will be allowed back in.

The 700D like the 650D both have TASK issues, so running the meters Alex says uses 2 TASKS, so this may eventually lead to crashes, BUT, so can the version without meters, so we won't know till it is tested properly.

I have them working all the time now and can even use Audio Remote Shoot just fine with them in both Photo and Movie mode.

For me it runs as good with them then without them, but as Alex said, we can't see what is going on in the code, so we won't know till more people try it out in everyday situations.

I am not experienced enough to finish the Audio Chip coding, but maybe when 1% gets the EOS-M going, maybe, just maybe I will have something to work with. Or maybe a real programmer will get it going that has this camera too.

At least we have the stubs for audio so we can get sound with MLV_REC in the nightly and of coarse meters addition here, and audio remote shot if that really is even used anymore, lol.