Movie restart 7D

Started by DMBryant, May 30, 2013, 06:50:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DMBryant

Hi, I have only used ML on my 7d twice.  I was most interested in the Movie Restart function to maintain video recording beyond the 10 limitation of the FAT32 format.  However I have set the Movie Restart mode to "ON" in the menu but the camera still stops recording after 10 min.

Any ideas?

DMBryant

RenatoPhoto

Quote from: DMBryant on May 30, 2013, 06:50:10 PM
Hi, I have only used ML on my 7d twice.  I was most interested in the Movie Restart function to maintain video recording beyond the 10 limitation of the FAT32 format.  However I have set the Movie Restart mode to "ON" in the menu but the camera still stops recording after 10 min.

It appears that it is not working.  If you use the search function on this board you will find many articles relating this function.  so click on Search and type "Movie restart 7D"

You are not following the forum rules by opening a thread without searching.  Please read the rules here:
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=934.msg1141#msg1141
http://www.pululahuahostal.com  |  EF 300 f/4, EF 100-400 L, EF 180 L, EF-S 10-22, Samyang 14mm, Sigma 28mm EX DG, Sigma 8mm 1:3.5 EX DG, EF 50mm 1:1.8 II, EF 1.4X II, Kenko C-AF 2X

DMBryant

Sorry,

You may have noticed that I am very new to this forum.  I believe this is why I received this notice.

You have received a warning for inappropriate activity. Please cease these activities and abide by the forum rules otherwise we will take further action.

Which I must say sounds quite forceful and slightly offensive to me.  I regret that I did not know of the rules before posting.  Please forgive and in the future give new members the benefit of the doubt by notifying them gently, rather than pressing the "inappropriate activity alarm"

DMBryant

OK So I did search for "Movie Restart 7D" 

The only post I could find, other than my own, was one from 6 mos ago complaining of the same issue.  However no resolution was provided.  So again I am sorry that I didn't search the forum to find this other post. 

In any event, has there been any news about when this issue might be resolved?

David

RenatoPhoto

No idea.  They are working hard on Raw stuff.
http://www.pululahuahostal.com  |  EF 300 f/4, EF 100-400 L, EF 180 L, EF-S 10-22, Samyang 14mm, Sigma 28mm EX DG, Sigma 8mm 1:3.5 EX DG, EF 50mm 1:1.8 II, EF 1.4X II, Kenko C-AF 2X

ted ramasola

Quote from: DMBryant on May 30, 2013, 06:50:10 PM

Any ideas?

DMBryant

I also have a 7D and this restart feature is what I was hoping for. And also autoboot up. Since they are not yet implemented in alpha I did not bother putting ML on my camera until they can break into the other digic.
5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas

edwmotion

Quote from: DMBryant on May 30, 2013, 09:23:30 PM
  "inappropriate activity alarm"

OMG,  :o  really sad. btW Welcome to the forums.  :D

RenatoPhoto

Quote from: DMBryant on May 30, 2013, 09:23:30 PM
You have received a warning for inappropriate activity. Please cease these activities and abide by the forum rules otherwise we will take further action.

Which I must say sounds quite forceful and slightly offensive to me.  I regret that I did not know of the rules before posting.  Please forgive and in the future give new members the benefit of the doubt by notifying them gently, rather than pressing the "inappropriate activity alarm"

Boiler template...  Probably should be changed.   Will look into it

It is difficult to keep up with so many new comers who do not read much or do research first, but are quick at the trigger to add their mark in the boards.  we are plaster with questions that could have been answered with a simple search.. 

Developers are having a hard time getting to the real issues with people filling the threads with unnecessary questions.. so this slows development and discourage readers who are interested in the real advance of the project.

Just a question for you.  When you signed up to these boards did you not get a copy of the Forum Rules?

DMBryant

Renato,

Yes I did get an email with the forum rules, albeit after I had already posted.  I am now aware of proper forum etiquette and will conform in the future.   :-[

Regarding the restart. I understand that the RAW video would be very cool, even if it requires $250 128GB Cf cards.  However, after purchasing my 7D virtually every videographer to whom I mentioned the 4Gb, 9 min recording limit deemed it to be a deal breaker and would wait for a firmware update.   

Also nearly every reviewer/blog/forum post I read about ML  before downloading mentioned this feature and hailed its inclusion.  This is the main reason I acquired the software.  But I have seen the pattern many times before: developers want to produce the next cool thing rather than go back to the tedious task of debugging the last "next cool thing".  And as a former code slave myself I can understand this.

I think there are many of us out here who consider this to be on one of the most desirable features of ML for Canon DSLRs and would appreciate a release that would fix this problem. 

Please chime if anyone out there agrees.

Cheers.