Flicker Free ETTR Timelapse: - -Beginners Guide & Basic Post Processing --

Started by RenatoPhoto, May 26, 2013, 01:35:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doyle4

Sorry for another question,

On mac where do i put the images? when i run exiftool -Exposure2012+=-0.5 /path/to/ettr_sequence_folder i get

Doyles-MacBook-Pro:~ doyle$ exiftool -Exposure2012+=-0.5 /path/to/ettr_sequence_folder
Error: File not found - /path/to/ettr_sequence_folder
    0 image files updated
    1 files weren't updated due to errors

Im guessing the 2012 = how many images are in the folder and i change that to how many i have?

Solved: exiftool -Exposure2012+=-0.5 /*drag folder onto here*

Doyle4

Anyone know what type for shadows? i deleted -Exposure and replaced with -Shadows, it started to do something but said no files where updated.

Solved: I deleted the XMP's by mistake

andyshon

If this doesn't throw it, I don't know what will? The exposure changes and contrast in this shot are pretty extreme. And it copes beautifully. This really is an amazing tool for timelapse.

I'm still having problems with stability. And it's not predictable, at least not to my un-scientific brain. It seems to crash more often with quicker intervals, longer max exposures, but it can happen with any settings. The last exposure seems always to be lacking an XMP file, and is often (perhaps always) a different exposure than the previous frame.

Sorry I can't give better info but I really hope you can find the fault. I'm gonna switch back to an older build for the moment, 21st July seems stable on the 5D2.

The exposure in the above shot was ramped up by one stop in post, using a slightly modified version of the shell script above. Seems to work quite well. If you just need to do simple ramping then this is a cost effective (free) way. Download the script here:- http://www.lightandtime.co.uk/downloads/exramp.zip

Doyle4

the exramp dont seem to work this end... says cant find .xmp's, i placed the file in same directory as images and xmp's and nothing.

ls: *.XMP: No such file or directory
(standard_in) 1: parse error
The path to the sequence is
The total number of .xmp files to process is        0
The total ramp will be
The increment per file will be
(standard_in) 2: parse error
logout

andyshon

You need to tell it the path to the folder full of cr2+xmp. For example, if the script is on your desktop, as is a folder called ETTRSequence, and you want to ramp it up by 1.2 stops:

~/Desktop/exramp 1.2 ~/Desktop/ETTRSequence

Doyle4

Thanks dude, ill give this a try :)

Is this a mac terminal code or windows? think this could be the problem also? ahhh ill try n find out lol.

Ahhh its for windows, i tried to run it on mac, finds the folder etc but cant find the xmps.

Doyles-MacBook-Pro:~ doyle$ /Users/doyle/Desktop/Test/exramp 1.2 /Users/doyle/Desktop/Test
The path to the sequence is /Users/doyle/Desktop/Test
The total ramp will be 1.2
The increment per file will be -1.200000

andyshon

I'm on Mac OS 10.8.5. Works for me but I'm no programer. I didn't have the script in the same folder as the files but don't know why that would break it.

Doyle4

10.8.5 here too, thanks for the help but still no joy, not sure whats going on either. iv tried it out of the folder and in. odd one.

Doyle4

If anyone can understand code could someone explain to me why this code cant find my xmp's?

#!/bin/sh
# Script to ramp XMP exposure values
# exramp [total ramp] [path/to/sequence]

ramp=$1
path=$2
cd "$path"
seq_total=$(ls -1 *.XMP| wc -l)
steps=$(expr $seq_total - 1)
inc=$(echo "scale=6; $ramp / $steps" | bc)

echo "The path to the sequence is $path"
echo "The total number of .xmp files to process is $seq_total"
echo "The total ramp will be $ramp"
echo "The increment per file will be $inc"

n=0
gain=$(echo "scale=6; 0 - $inc" | bc)

while [ $n -lt $seq_total ]
do
n=$(expr $n + 1)
gain=$(echo "scale=6; $gain + $inc" | bc)
xmp_file=$(ls -1 *.xmp | sed -n "$n"p)
echo ""
echo "Processing frame $n: $xmp_file"
echo "The gain to be added is $gain"
exiftool -Exposure2012+="$gain" "$xmp_file"
done

my out come.
Doyles-MacBook-Pro:~ doyle$ /Users/doyle/Desktop/Test/exramp 1.2 /Users/doyle/Desktop/Test
The path to the sequence is /Users/doyle/Desktop/Test
The total ramp will be 1.2
The increment per file will be -1.200000

andyshon

Try the tweak below and let me know. It's a guess but might work. Think there may also be problems if your xmp files have .xmp as extension rather that .XMP. Not sure how to stop it being case sensitive.

I'll try and make a more robust version that handles errors a bit better, and possibly add an optional third argument to ramp other parameters other than Exposure2012. But I'm learning as I go along so it wont happen quickly.

#!/bin/sh
# Script to ramp XMP exposure values
# exramp [total ramp] [path/to/sequence]

ramp=$1
path=$2
cd "$path"
seq_total=$(ls -1 "$path"/*.XMP| wc -l)
steps=$(expr $seq_total - 1)
inc=$(echo "scale=6; $ramp / $steps" | bc)

echo "The path to the sequence is $path"
echo "The total number of .xmp files to process is $seq_total"
echo "The total ramp will be $ramp"
echo "The increment per file will be $inc"

n=0
gain=$(echo "scale=6; 0 - $inc" | bc)

while [ $n -lt $seq_total ]
do
n=$(expr $n + 1)
gain=$(echo "scale=6; $gain + $inc" | bc)
xmp_file=$(ls -1 "$path"/*.XMP | sed -n "$n"p)
echo ""
echo "Processing frame $n: $xmp_file"
echo "The gain to be added is $gain"
exiftool -Exposure2012+="$gain" "$xmp_file"
done

Doyle4

Sweet dude!

New code worked and changing xmp to XMP worked, so it is case sensitive, luckily deflicker on dng's produces XMP and not xmp.
Wonder if it can be tweaked to look for xmp and XMP's.

Thanks again man!

also i had to put Doyles-MacBook-Pro:~ doyle$ /Users/doyle/Desktop/test/exramp 1.2 /Users/doyle/Desktop/test to get it too work

andyshon

Nice one.

Like I say, I'll get working on a version thats less picky.

Doyle4

Socalboarder

Hey all, has anyone tried this on a 5D MKII? When I installed ML, on my 5D MKII, the ETTR option is not available under the EXPO menu. Any help would be appreciated . I just stumbled onto this post today, and I am pretty exited to get flicker free time-lapse.

RenatoPhoto

You probably should follow this thread to get the RAW features enabled:

14-Bit RAW video Builds for 5D2
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5533.0
http://www.pululahuahostal.com  |  EF 300 f/4, EF 100-400 L, EF 180 L, EF-S 10-22, Samyang 14mm, Sigma 28mm EX DG, Sigma 8mm 1:3.5 EX DG, EF 50mm 1:1.8 II, EF 1.4X II, Kenko C-AF 2X

audunbrekke

Hi. I have tryed the last ML nightly build on a 6D. I would like to use the ETTR with day to night timelapse, but I cant get it to work properly. I have followed the guide at http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5705.0 If I shoot on and one shot manually it sems to adjust the EV but it ower adjust. It suddenly jumps to 25 or 32 seconds exposure. When using the intervallometer it wont change the exposure at all, and only stays at the same vaules as the first picture. is it some setting I am missing ? Or is the feature not supported by the 6D ?

RenatoPhoto

If you have followed the manual and cannot get exposure adjustment with intervalometer action it may be that this feature has not been incorporated to the main builds yet.
but first you should make sure that:

Your camera is on M mode,
In the ETTR module: ETTR is ON, Trigger mode is set to Always On,
In Canon Menu: Image Review is set to at least 2 seconds.
http://www.pululahuahostal.com  |  EF 300 f/4, EF 100-400 L, EF 180 L, EF-S 10-22, Samyang 14mm, Sigma 28mm EX DG, Sigma 8mm 1:3.5 EX DG, EF 50mm 1:1.8 II, EF 1.4X II, Kenko C-AF 2X

fcpk

How does one deal with ETTR in very dark scenes with just a couple very bright objects?
Tried to do a night timelapse last night but there was no way I could bring ETTR under 2, it'd jump to ISO 12800 instantly and push shutter speed to 30"...

EDIT: 5DMkIII, ML nightly from a couple days ago

RenatoPhoto

If you want to darken the scene lower the Exposure target to say -2 EV
Found under Advanced ETTR

audunbrekke

Quote from: RenatoPhoto on September 28, 2013, 02:42:13 PM
If you have followed the manual and cannot get exposure adjustment with intervalometer action it may be that this feature has not been incorporated to the main builds yet.
but first you should make sure that:

Your camera is on M mode,
In the ETTR module: ETTR is ON, Trigger mode is set to Always On,
In Canon Menu: Image Review is set to at least 2 seconds.

I have followed the manual, and set these values. it seems to work if I shoot pictures manually on by one. But if I shoot with intervallometer, it never adjusts the exposure. I can see the overlay and the ettr values on the overlay, but it does not change.

Earlyer I have user the intervallometer with sunset on a 550D with great success. Is it possible to get this function as a module for the 6D untill the ETTR is functioning properly ?

fcpk

Quote from: RenatoPhoto on September 28, 2013, 03:45:19 PM
If you want to darken the scene lower the Exposure target to say -2 EV
Found under Advanced ETTR

the problem is that once day rise will come up in my timelapse, then everything will be super dark...(I want a night->day timelapse of a very dark scene with some very bright objects)

RenatoPhoto

Quote from: fcpk on September 28, 2013, 04:31:44 PM
the problem is that once day rise will come up in my timelapse, then everything will be super dark...(I want a night->day timelapse of a very dark scene with some very bright objects)
According to Alex you have to do that in post.  I think he set Exposure target to -1EV
Ramping of this Exposure target would be useful but Alex says that is not possible. 
Here is an excellent now ramping module for Timelapse:
Intervalometer Ramping Module (adv_int.mo)
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=8431.0

RenatoPhoto

Quote from: audunbrekke on September 28, 2013, 04:27:07 PM
I have followed the manual, and set these values. it seems to work if I shoot pictures manually on by one. But if I shoot with intervallometer, it never adjusts the exposure. I can see the overlay and the ettr values on the overlay, but it does not change.

I said earlier:

Quote from: RenatoPhoto on September 28, 2013, 02:42:13 PM

Explore this thread, maybe 1% has enabled this feature in his build:
6D - Install guide and raw shooting.
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5530.0

The latest build from 1% for 6D is found here:
https://bitbucket.org/OtherOnePercent/tragic-lantern-6d/downloads

saltador

Ok.

another confuse newbie here...hope not too confuse  or newbie for you all..hehehe.

i read and read and still have doubts...so i would like to ask.

As other here are asking I also want to do a time lapse from night to day and day to night.

question i still don't grasp..

So, is auto ETTL the substitute for expoRamp?
can i use auto ETTL for night to day and vise versa?
anyone can share setting for this?

for post.

Do i need to use extol or other app or can i just open lightroom?
any one has a explanation for a lightroom workflow?

i'm on mac..with lightroom..Davinci Resolve..FCPX..

thanks so much.

RenatoPhoto

Quote from: saltador on September 28, 2013, 08:31:35 PM
So, is auto ETTL the substitute for expoRamp?
Not sure what expo ramp is, but yes anyway....  ;D

can i use auto ETTL for night to day and vise versa?
anyone can share setting for this?
Yes
Opening post

Do i need to use extol or other app or can i just open lightroom?
any one has a explanation for a lightroom workflow?

Not a mac man.  some one else can help..
See here:
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=6789.msg78647#msg78647

Also read the Opening post for mac xmp workflow

but... I think Lightroom should be able to open the cr2 files and read the exposure adjustment included in the XMP file, even if you are on a mac.