RAW Video: PostProcessing -- Beginners Guide --

Started by RenatoPhoto, May 24, 2013, 10:11:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Krane

Quote from: aluncrockford on August 03, 2013, 02:49:23 AM

This particular workflow also has the added benefit of avoiding anything to do with adobe, and in particular the creative cloud, and from that point alone it is worth considering.

If it is of any help the link to capture one is here. http://www.phaseone.com/en/Downloads.aspx
Not if your editor is part of the Adobe family. But I'm sure your help will be appreciate by those that edit as you do. Now if we can collect and organize all these into one area to avoid all this endless readings. If I ever solve my equation for RAW from ingest to render, I will post my procedure using Adobe suite. I'll also update here as I learn more and more along the way.

Here  is my first observation: RAW is not quite ready for prime time. Although RAW is a godsend for true cinematography, at the moment few -- correction no -- editors support it. In the future, I'm sure that will change. But for now, we have to hopscotch from program to program to get where we need to be.
The first step is to get from RAW to cinemaDNG which several application can do. Namely, Adobe's After Effect, Photoshop, and even Lightroom. Also, Speedgrade, Da Vinci Resolve, as well as several other free applications.

(BTW, you can view the DNG in Premiere but the playback will be slow as molasses (even when you lower the quality). So don't expect much at the moment other than viewing a still.)

The problem is once you've converted to DNG now what? That's where I'm at right now. Where to go from here? I could convert/transcode to a lower format edit, then reconnect. But the whole process is arduous enough without adding more step, and I don't want to learn how to lower the resolution's then bring it back up (if I can avoid it).

I guess its also a good time to figure when to use RAW and when not to. I'll be back when I learn more. So stay tuned.
Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM

rtf

What are the best settings to export from After Effects/Adobe Media Encoder to Youtube etc.? Workflow:

RAW to DNG  -- Import/editing in After Effects -- save project -- render project in Adobe Media Encoder -- upload to internet.

mageye

Quote from: rtf on February 13, 2014, 12:18:16 PM
What are the best settings to export from After Effects/Adobe Media Encoder to Youtube etc.? Workflow:

RAW to DNG  -- Import/editing in After Effects -- save project -- render project in Adobe Media Encoder -- upload to internet.

Well I am not sure what platform you are on, but I have found that uploading the highest quality uncompressed (or least compressed) video has yielded the best results for YouTube. People may think that it's insane uploading a video that is huge to YouTube. It takes a long time to upload an uncompressed, high quality, video but it actually does make a considerable difference.

Basically don't finalise it to .H264 because YouTube will do that. You don't want to recompress.

I am rendering on the Mac and use ProRes 422.

Check out this little article:

http://www.videomaker.com/article/17034-encoding-youtube-videos-at-the-highest-quality
5DMKII | 500D | KOMPUTERBAY 32GB Professional 1000x |Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II | Samyang 35mm f/1.4 ED AS UMC | Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III | Zoom H2 (4CH. audio recorder) | Mac OS X 10.9.2 | Photoshop CC | After Effects CC | Final Cut Pro 7

rtf

Quote from: mageye on February 13, 2014, 02:59:13 PM
Well I am not sure what platform you are on, but I have found that uploading the highest quality uncompressed (or least compressed) video has yielded the best results for YouTube. People may think that it's insane uploading a video that is huge to YouTube. It takes a long time to upload an uncompressed, high quality, video but it actually does make a considerable difference.

Basically don't finalise it to .H264 because YouTube will do that. You don't want to recompress.

I am rendering on the Mac and use ProRes 422.

Check out this little article:

http://www.videomaker.com/article/17034-encoding-youtube-videos-at-the-highest-quality

Alright, thanks. There must be another way than uploading a huge, uncompressed, file though. I once read that bigger is not always better.

Anyway, can't find ProRes 422 in the Adobe Media Encoder. I have Windows here.

PeterR

Quote from: Videop on July 14, 2013, 12:30:44 AM
You can chose to output DNG and if you wish even a Prores file. The .mov is Prores.

Strange thing for me is my first try resulted in playable Prores with a thumbnail and after that I get a .mov file without thumbnail and not playable.

Strange. I just changed the video codec option within After Effects from animation to prores and the final exported MOV file reduced from 708mb to 83mb while retaining the same resolution. See below (note the codecs and file sizes). Will have to play around with the two files in davinci to see if the larger "animation" codec is significantly better... but from previewing both files full screen, I can't see any difference!

GH4 + 5D2 w magic lantern. Davinci Resolve>Premiere Pro>Davinci Resolve workflow

davocork

I've been using  Magic lantern Raw for the last few weeks. Although a lot of effort to shoot and edit, it really produces amazing results and I love it. The Magic Lantern developers deserve a box of  medals. I've done some videos on how to edit with the footage on Windows using After Effects and Camera Raw to help others. Hope they help someone get through the process quicker than it took me!

mo7ies

Quote from: rtf on February 13, 2014, 12:18:16 PM

Once you have your DNG sequence:

- convert to video. Not only for editing but also to playback and catalog your clips. RAW 4 PRO gives you a choice of DNxHD (same as ProRes), MPEG2 (super small file sizes), or CineformRAW.

- do your edit in video. Real-time, no pain. Then online back to DNGs and render out.

Web video upload: good settings could be as follows.

H.264 Profile High, Level 3.2, 1080p at your framerate, Widescreen (16:9) Progressive, VBR 1 Pass Target 4.0kbps Max 6.0Mbs , square pixels (1:1), Render at Max Depth Checked, Use Maximum Render Quality Checked, Keyframe 1 frame, Audio: AAC 44.1kHz 64 kbps Stereo.

https://vimeo.com/88385565

atideno

hey,

the mac version of raw2dng appears a lot more sophisticated. it creates a folder with dng files as well as a video file (that gives a rough idea of footage) - why not the case with windows - no video file and just dumpes the individual dngs in the main folder?

Dennis

Basosa

Hi,

I would like to know if we loose quality converting png or tif images in an avi file.

Thank you

Basosa

I have my one respond:''The beauty of this process is that it is conserving much of the original data contained in the RAW files.  If you compress this video to other formats like mpeg1 you will lose all of the great details provided by RAW video recording.''

thank you

baldavenger

When does Davinci Resolve 11 finally come out?  Surely that's going to be a major game changer for working with raw?
EOS 5D Mark III | EOS 600D | Canon 24-105mm f4L | Canon 70-200mm f2.8L IS II | Canon 50mm f1.4 | Samyang 14mm T3.1 | Opteka 8mm f3.5

garry23

First I must admit I have NEVER attempted any kind of videography. However, this morning I thought I would try ML RAW video.

I seem to have created a .MLV file successfully.

I have downloaded raw2dng.exe and put the .MLV file in the same folder.

I am on Windows 64.

When I move the .MLV file to the raw2dng.exe the command screen flashes for a fraction of a second and nothing else happens.

Can some kind soul point me in the right direction :-o)

Cheers

garry23

Please ignore post above: I have just worked out I hadnt enabled the correct module!!!!

Sorry

Kim

Hi,

I got from MLV to dng files thanks to MLVMystic. I used Lightroom to improve the look, temperature, colors and contrast of these files.

I am on a Macbook Air late 2010. DaVinci Resolve 11 Lite complains about GPU which I understand that my graphics card is not powerful enough. I do not have After Effects. VirtualDub is for windows.

Is there another solution to make a video back from the image files on mac? Thanks.

dmilligan

EmperorXIX

I plan on editing a music video using the Resolve -> Premiere -> Resolve route, but need to add some special effects in After Effects (mostly lighting and some compositing).

...Is this even possible? The only way it seems like it would work is Resolve -> Premiere -> After Effects, finally replacing the proxies with the DNG files in AE, but so far none of the edits are coming out right when i test this. I figure I can at least do the tracking for the lighting/composites on the proxies and then do color tweaking on top of the raws without needing to view it in real time. Going back to Resolve isn't an option, right? Because Resolve will color grade my lighting effects and everything as well? Or just straight up get rid of them?

[email protected]

Hi
just to say that I have just read your article and it will hopefully go a long way to solving  all my problems in processing video taken with my 550D.

Regards
Tim

theartofweb

QuoteOnce you have your DNG sequence:

- convert to video. Not only for editing but also to playback and catalog your clips.

Why not doing the editing from DNG sequences? Converting (transcoding) RAW to video for editing takes a lot of time and a log curve is to be choosen. Mlrawviewer can convert RAW footage (5 mins) into DNG sequences in a flash.

I am on Resolve and it can handle DNG sequences just fine. I assume other softwares can do that just as fine.

I don't see what makes ProRes 444 (S-log) better then DNG sequences for editing.

khalidbutt

Do you know that you can now place the RAW video straight to adobe première and after effects with conversion.

drastic mediareactor does this magic.

reddeercity

Why pay for a plugin, Just use MLVFS "Cdng convertor on the Fly" import in to Premiere Pro, A.E., Resolve in fact any App.
This can be done straight of the CF Card or locally off SSD/Harddrive  with better debayering plus it's Free & Supported here on the forum if problem arise .

Grzegorz

Hi,

I am just a beginner with ML, so sorry if this is a stupid question. I am looking for a simple workflow preserving as much quality as possible with freeware soft. I am wondering why nobody mentions Canon DPP software for adjusting raw files instead of exporting to DNG or CDNG and then adjusting? 

Licaon_Kter

Quote from: Grzegorz on April 22, 2015, 10:23:48 PM
I am wondering why nobody mentions Canon DPP software for adjusting raw files instead of exporting to DNG or CDNG and then adjusting? 
This is about RAW VIDEO files ( thread title ) that ML records in .MLV/.RAW files and not about RAW PHOTOS in .CR2/DNG.
Using only the default Canon firmware yields only compressed H.264 MOV files not RAW video ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cameras_supporting_a_raw_format#Video_cameras )

dmilligan

There is plenty of free software that is way better than Canon DPP, that can read/edit/develop DNG files.

Grzegorz

Thank you guys  for your fast response  :)

@Licaon_Kter:
Ok, sorry for the confusion, I meant raw video editing. So if I understand correctly, recording raw video with Canon 50D does NOT produce a sequence of raw images, but a single file (or several files, as I read that sometimes you have to join them), from which raw images have to be extracted for processing?
Can't check it myself now, because I am still waiting for a fast card to arrive...

@dmilligan:
Which better than DPP free soft would you suggest?

I have Win 7 64 bit, Intel i5-3570K, 8GB RAM, no GPU (Intel HD Graphkics 4000 integrated in CPU) - Resolve will not work, because HD 4000 is not compatible  :(

I tried VirtualDub and I am not impressed with color correction plug-ins I found, not to mention that most of them work only with 32 bit version of VD.

The only paid soft I have is Adobe Elements 6 with the latest COMPATIBLE ACR plug-in. I like it, but it seems that ACR allows only up to 200 raw files to load at the same time, so I can perform batch processing only on 200  :(