RAW Video: PostProcessing -- Beginners Guide --

Started by RenatoPhoto, May 24, 2013, 10:11:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lokki19

Quote from: dogmydog on July 13, 2013, 12:43:41 AM
Does anybody know how a workflow that uses SpeedGrade instead of DaVinci Resolve?

Thanks!

I've had success importing CinemaDNG sequences generated by RawMagic. You can also import the dng from raw2dng into AE, save the project, import the sequences in Premiere Pro and then send them in SpeedGrade. That is if you want to make sure to retain the full dynamic range of the image. Otherwise, justo export a clip from the dng in AE and do your work.

I've been using the new Adobe CC and it was working well, should work to in CS6.

Cheers.

kelan.chad

(50D raw -> raw2dng)
I am having trouble playing back the raw dng files in my editors (after effects & Premier Pro)
they will play but not anywhere near real time (reduced quality down to 1/4 and everything)

how are ye guys coping with playback in AE

my pc specs:

Win 7 ultimate
i7 3820 (3.6ghz)
GTX 680 SC 2gb
16GB 2133mhz ram
256gb ocz Agility 3 SSD
2TB WD Black HD
6D
Sandisk Extreme 16GB 45Mb/s

nigel

Quote from: kelan.chad on August 01, 2013, 06:22:30 PM
(50D raw -> raw2dng)
I am having trouble playing back the raw dng files in my editors (after effects & Premier Pro)
they will play but not anywhere near real time (reduced quality down to 1/4 and everything)

how are ye guys coping with playback in AE

my pc specs:

Win 7 ultimate
i7 3820 (3.6ghz)
GTX 680 SC 2gb
16GB 2133mhz ram
256gb ocz Agility 3 SSD
2TB WD Black HD

I have similar specs but with one difference. 32 GB of ram. Most of the time I can load the whole clip into the ram preview and it plays back realtime there. Although that being said my clips are mostly shorter than 10 mins

aluncrockford

After a month and a half of shooting raw I have found the best solution and sometimes quickest ( depending on the speed of deving the files in capture one)for me has been the following, convert the raw files with Raw magic, open the Dng files in capture one 7 adjust the first frame then copy these settings to the balance, then process as 100%tiff , open the files as an image sequence in QuickTime 7 and save as whatever file  you need, my preference is 444 , the quick time element is very fast, the capture one processing less so, but this method  appears to give a lot cleaner file than photoshop converter, and capture one can do a lot more tweaking than photoshop raw, with regards to the 4 gig problem, I am formatting the card on the mac and that appears to do the trick,

This particular workflow also has the added benefit of avoiding anything to do with adobe, and in particular the creative cloud, and from that point alone it is worth considering.

If it is of any help the link to capture one is here. http://www.phaseone.com/en/Downloads.aspx

D.L. Watson

Hey folks! I just wanted to share a free Adobe Camera RAW preset that I believe will be very useful for others as it has been for me in post processing.

This plugin will take your footage and flatten your image so you can render into Pro-Res, DNxHD, or Cineform and color-grade in whatever program you wish.

Give it a try and let me know what you think!

Download and read more information here: http://www.dlwatson.net/flatz-preset.html

*footage shown in video is from a Canon 50D.
See my portfolio of work at www.dlwatson.net

BrotherD

Quote from: D.L. Watson on August 04, 2013, 07:18:52 AM
Hey folks! I just wanted to share a free Adobe Camera RAW preset that I believe will be very useful for others as it has been for me in post processing.

This plugin will take your footage and flatten your image so you can render into Pro-Res, DNxHD, or Cineform and color-grade in whatever program you wish.

Give it a try and let me know what you think!

Download and read more information here: http://www.dlwatson.net/flatz-preset.html

*footage shown in video is from a Canon 50D.

I like your work DL. I am trying to figure out your post raw workflow. Do your roundtrip begin with Resolve? If so, do you use BMD? I think not because you use your own flatz preset in ACR. If your roundtrip begins in After Effect I want to know why because I am new to CS6. ACR is awesome! However Resolve has become my "favorite" program. Maybe I should have just ask you at what point of post production do you use your preset?

D.L. Watson

Quote from: BrotherD on August 06, 2013, 08:22:27 AM
I like your work DL. I am trying to figure out your post raw workflow. Do your roundtrip begin with Resolve? If so, do you use BMD? I think not because you use your own flatz preset in ACR. If your roundtrip begins in After Effect I want to know why because I am new to CS6. ACR is awesome! However Resolve has become my "favorite" program. Maybe I should have just ask you at what point of post production do you use your preset?

Thanks!

I do not convert to CinemaDNG because Resolve doesn't seem to use all the information available.

Here is my two different workflows. Ill be doing a workflow tutorial soon.

1# Without using the Flatz Preset

1. Export RAW to DNG frames
2. Import DNG frames to AE
3. Export HD H.264 Proxies
4. Edit in Premiere
5. Copy edit, Paste in Adobe After Effects
6. Replace HD Proxies with DNG frames, Color Correct in ACR
7. Render in DNxHD. Add back into Premiere for sound and final render.

#2 Using the Flatz Preset

2. Import DNG frames to AE, apply Flatz Preset (adjust white balance/tone as necessary)
3. Export 4.4.4. DNxHD files
4. Edit in Premiere & Render
5. Color Correct in Resolve & Render.

Hope that helps. Ill be posting my workflow video by Wednesday at the latest.
See my portfolio of work at www.dlwatson.net

BrotherD

Quote from: D.L. Watson on August 06, 2013, 08:56:33 AM
Thanks!

I do not convert to CinemaDNG because Resolve doesn't seem to use all the information available.

Here is my two different workflows. Ill be doing a workflow tutorial soon.

1# Without using the Flatz Preset

2. Import DNG frames to AE
3. Export HD H.264 Proxies
4. Edit in Premiere
5. Copy edit, Paste in Adobe After Effects
6. Replace HD Proxies with DNG frames, Color Correct in ACR
7. Render in DNxHD. Add back into Premiere for sound and final render.

#2 Using the Flatz Preset

2. Import DNG frames to AE, apply Flatz Preset (adjust white balance/tone as necessary)
3. Export 4.4.4. DNxHD files
4. Edit in Premiere & Render
5. Color Correct in Resolve & Render.

Hope that helps. Ill be posting my workflow video by Wednesday at the latest.

Thank DL!

I like the second workflow, starting in ACR and finishing in Resolve. Why do you export as DNxHD instead of DNG? Is exporting as DNxHD in AE as slow as rendering in AE? Rendering in both Premiere and AE is too slow for me. Rendering in Resolve is fast.

If you are covering those concerns in the video disregard this. I am looking forward to the video.

Disease

Virtual Dub does not open DNG files as an image sequence?

RenatoPhoto

Quote from: Disease on August 07, 2013, 03:31:16 PM
Virtual Dub does not open DNG files as an image sequence?

As noted on the guide:

"2.5. On the bottom left side of ACR click on the Save Images button where you need to make some selections as to where to save the files, the type of image format you want to save, and the quality of such format.  The  selection will depend on what type of software you have available for converting these images into a video file, and  the desired quality of the final process.  If you are not sure, select jpeg format and  the highest quality to make sure we do not lose any details i.e. Quality=12"

You can save the images as .jpg and then import them to Vdub as image sequence...
http://www.pululahuahostal.com  |  EF 300 f/4, EF 100-400 L, EF 180 L, EF-S 10-22, Samyang 14mm, Sigma 28mm EX DG, Sigma 8mm 1:3.5 EX DG, EF 50mm 1:1.8 II, EF 1.4X II, Kenko C-AF 2X

riccardocovino

My workflow in windows is very simple:

Convert the Raw to CinemaDNG with Rawanizer or RAW2CDNG

Open in Resolve the sequence

Only issue is that Resolve has not the best debayering algorithm (I'm using 50D raw output) so moirè is a bit increased.
Hoping that version 10 will solve it.
BMCC - 50D - D5200 - Nex5N

Tongotongo

Hello, I am having a problem, I'm recording to 1344x756 and 1280x720 (I think) none of the raw files are more than 1 Giga, some I can convert dng the other simply does nothing other than using raw2dng try using other programs having the same result. If you can give me a hand to see what I can do would be appreciated. I read several posts with similar problems but not the same.

Camara canon 650D, Windows 7 64bit.

Hola, estoy teniendo un problema , estoy grabando a 1344x756 y 1280x720(creo) ninguno de los archivos raw son mas de 1 Giga, algunos los puedo convertir a dng y otros simplemente no hace nada aparte de usar raw2dng  trate de usar otros programas teniendo el mismo resultado . Si pueden darme una mano a ver que puedo hacer se agradecería. Leí varios post con similares problemas pero no iguales .

Camara canon 650D ,Windows 7 64bit.
Canon 650d Tamron 17-50 mm 2.8 canon 50 mm fijo 1.8 magic lantern

Tongotongo

Hola , bueno aparentemente encontré la ERROR  >:( y es que se me apagaba la cámara (y eso que me lo decía :) en pleno grabado y al suceder eso parece que el raw queda mal cerrado y ningún programa para convertir de raw a dng lo reconoce como es logico . Supongo es una obviedad pero no lo vi posteado y me volví loco . De todas formas Mil Gracias.
Canon 650d Tamron 17-50 mm 2.8 canon 50 mm fijo 1.8 magic lantern

Africashot

Quote from: Tongotongo on August 09, 2013, 07:24:07 AM
Hola , bueno aparentemente encontré la ERROR  >:( y es que se me apagaba la cámara (y eso que me lo decía :) en pleno grabado y al suceder eso parece que el raw queda mal cerrado y ningún programa para convertir de raw a dng lo reconoce como es logico . Supongo es una obviedad pero no lo vi posteado y me volví loco . De todas formas Mil Gracias.

Creo que hay forma de recuperarlo si consigues anadir el 'footer' al directorio RAW que te quedo incompleto, es un poco complejo y tiene que contener los datos (resolucion, numero de cuadros, etc) del clip en cuestion. Lo mejor es intentar abrir otro directorio en notpad y copiar el footer para reemplazar lo en el directotio que quedo incompleto... espero que esto te sirva de algo!
ML 5D2 & T3i

idjego

Hola Africashot,
igual es un poco offtopic, pero como veo poco en español...
He probado el módulo Raw en mi 5DmkII y grabo un poco y cuando meto la tarjeta en el Mac veo sólo un archivo Raw, este se llama M21-1220.RAW
Por lo que he visto a otros, veo que les genera muchos Raw y luego les convierten en Dng.
Que estoy haciendo mal ??

Otra cosilla,... tengo una tarjeta Lexar 1000x y he leido que había que formatear en exFat. Cuando la formateo así e instalo ML luego en la cámara me dice que no reconoce el formato y que la tengo que formatear y la paso a Fat32. Esta tarjeta la idea es grabar cachos de video en Raw. Que hago mal ??

Mil gracias

fxPPC

Has anyone seen these videos? They're for the KineRAW, but other than the CDNG conversion step, it seems like an easy to follow guide to using Resolve to manage your workflow. Check it out:

http://www.kinefinity.tv/workflow/
---------------------------------
5D3, 7D, 550D. Rokinon Cine DS set, Canon L set, wide range of Russian and Contax-converted (Leitax modified) glass.

atideno

hi,

i have been converting my raw files (shot on canon 60D) with raw2dng. From there I import to lightroom as DNG, edit, and export as DNG. To actually convert from dng to a movie file I'd like to import to After Effects and convert there. Does anyone know the specific workflow (DNG>best possible video format) within adobe after effects?

Regards,
Dennis

matthieu

AE reads Imagefiles.  So - you are good to import your DNGs right into AE.  Just select "image sequence" while importing. I would even leave lightroom out of this workflow actually..   At least that's how i do it.

Quote from: atideno on October 21, 2013, 02:29:51 PM
hi,

i have been converting my raw files (shot on canon 60D) with raw2dng. From there I import to lightroom as DNG, edit, and export as DNG. To actually convert from dng to a movie file I'd like to import to After Effects and convert there. Does anyone know the specific workflow (DNG>best possible video format) within adobe after effects?

Regards,
Dennis

atideno

Quote from: matthieu on October 21, 2013, 02:59:35 PM
AE reads Imagefiles.  So - you are good to import your DNGs right into AE.  Just select "image sequence" while importing. I would even leave lightroom out of this workflow actually..   At least that's how i do it.

Thanks for your quick reply.
What do you export as? Can you specify? I just don't want to lose quality during export.

Dennis

dude

Hi, there are 2 Formats in AE which preserve the bitrate-
dpx and tiff, both with 16(!) bit

atideno

Quote from: dude on October 21, 2013, 06:36:49 PM
Hi, there are 2 Formats in AE which preserve the bitrate-
dpx and tiff, both with 16(!) bit

thanks dude!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbbTF6yRbCg&feature=youtu.be (or in 1 hour this will be available as well: https://vimeo.com/77468344 )
the left bottom corner (blue sky) is flickering (distorted) in the first 3 seconds on youtube (does it throughout the whole video when played on my computer). note that it needs to be played in 720p and in fullscreen. where could this come from/how could it be resolved? it does the same thing even if i export as tiff image sequence and import into final cut proX.

Regards,
Dennis

mo7ies

Seems this utility may help - it converts raw frames to video raw, with real-time playback and edit. Also adds audio. Also good for timelapse-to-video. Check it out on Kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/primehd/raw-2-cf-raw-convert-your-frames-into-video-fast

Krane

I wish we could collect the post workflow  in stages and all in one location: i.e., workflow using AA, 2) Workflow using Photoshop, 3) Workflow using Camera Raw etc.  Also note that updates are constant and may be necessary, and different version sometimes respond differently too.

Having to follow link after link to collect bits and pieces of data was a nightmare before you realize this. And I still don't have a completed timeline to rendered video that I can upload for viewing on Youtube, Vimeo, etc.
Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM

Danne

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jASBwVSOlXkh

Heres another good workflow in da vinci resolve. Might already be in here somewhere