The CinemaDNG Discussion (raw2cdng)

Started by chmee, May 23, 2013, 10:46:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

anandkamal

friends I could not render out the footage correctly from Resolve. The audio gets jumbled and only one out of two different footage is rendered. I shot using .mlv with audio enabled, beta3 converter, 5dIII, march 2014 update. The footage preview was good, had syncing audio in mlrawviewer. I also ticked "autosync based on timecode" in resolve... anything wrong that i ve done? also the last audio file is slightly lengthier than the video file.. thanks

artyg

Quote from: ted ramasola on April 24, 2014, 02:17:26 AM
Go back online and click donate button on chmee's site.  :P

Alredy done:) Chmee really cool!!!
Canon 5D3 SanDisk Extreme Pro 64Gb 160MB/s

anandkamal

[F] mode of naming had the problems i previously posted. But changing the naming mode to [F]_[D] cleared the problem now...

@chmee.. thanks for the great application. Could you also please check whether the flickering issue in Resolve is due to the converter? because 1.4.9.7 version had no flickering issues after rendering the color corrected output, however there were audio syncing complaints which was rectified in beta 3. But, in beta 3, I get the flickering issues in resolve once again. Audio syncing is perfect. Roundtrip is good except that i have to manually link the footage, as usual. Because the flickering was absent when i used cdngs from 1.4.9.7 and present when i use beta 3, i think there is an association. Pls see to that friend... thanks

anandkamal

hi again, I used the naming code [F]_[D] in beta 3 converter. Selected cdng 16bit maximized. Did a roundtrip in resolve and premiere cc. Worked fine, there was no flickering issue in the color corrected outputs. Thanks.

chmee

[size=2]phreekz * blog * twitter[/size]

evanbuzzell

Quote from: chmee on April 25, 2014, 06:32:11 PM
mates, thank you for testing and response.

* RAW-Error is fixed, will be in beta4, found it days ago.
* Resolve-Sync - i tried to realize it, it seems to work. @evanbuzzell please check, if both mediafiles have the same timecode - this was my first intention - the second one was, to change the path/files behaviour into the regular path-as-mediafile. i didnt found the key for that, i need more samples, i said it before..
* @RedRocks. ok. in beta4 there will be a proxy-jpeg-output, as i stated, they are not color accurate, have a wrong gamma, but for simple cutting it should do. and: ffmpeg has implemented mlv, this could be your way (maybe mine too for other codecs).
* ah, btw. do you use mercury-playback on gpu? my yellow marked sequences play quite fluid, even if i use gpu-accelerated effects.
* clearly saying, my intention was/is to get the user as fast as possible editing his stuff
* @piloui "sometimes destinationpath not working". only under raw or with mlv as well?

regards chmee

So the timecode for the audio and the video are different. I could have sworn that the audio files were synced in Premiere just a few days ago and now I'm not seeing any audio sync in premiere or resolve. This just made this project a million times harder aye! I've tried changing the file names to something different when exporting, any other ideas?

chmee

@evanbuzzell
re-check: what's the framerate for this videos? please write some video/audio timecode pairs, if theres maybe a correlation.. is the audiofile playing fine in any audio/mediaplayer?

evanbuzzell

Quote from: chmee on May 02, 2014, 12:18:26 AM
@evanbuzzell
re-check: what's the framerate for this videos? please write some video/audio timecode pairs, if theres maybe a correlation.. is the audiofile playing fine in any audio/mediaplayer?

23.976 on all the clips.
Video length is 02:18:10, audio is 02:17:38400
V: 01:12:01, A: 01:11:38400
V: 01:43:07, A: 01:42:19200
V: 02:13:11, A: 02:13:00000

Different day, More Recent than most:
V: 00:23:06, A: 23:09600
V: 02:12:18, A: 02:12:00000
V: 03:13:07, A: 03:12:09600
V: 00:46:12, A: 46:28800

Most recent build:
V:00:21:16, A: 21:28800
V: 00:39:07, A: 39:19200
V: 05:43:03, A: 4:25:28800
V: 02:08:05, A: 02:07:38400

older one
V: 00:28:23, A: 28:19200
V: 00:56:17, A: 57:00000
V: 00:51:23, A: 51:19200

The audiofile plays fine for the most part, it is the sync that is the issue. 5d2 is the camera I'm using apr 23, 14

chmee

the timecode (first frame) is made of the creationtime of the file (lastWrite is the better attribute, its coded already, will be in beta4). does one of the both timecodes match to the filetime? could you send me examplefiles to [email protected]? (just one dng and the audiofile) i have to code some more debug and helper-things for those problems.

regards chmee

Wartburg-Entertainment

Hello,
how can it be that my 1.5.beta3 makes no CDNG,
but nut DNG?
At least recognizes Premiere not the files.

greeding

chmee

@wartburg no, they should 100% work. maybe you're looking into the wrong tab/window in premiere :)

anandkamal

chmee, i was telling about the flickering issue in resolve. Now when i turn "delta pink highlights" in raw2cdng and process further, i get flickering issues during roundtrip between resolve and premiere. When i turn the delta pink highlights off, the flickering issue solves... Just wanted to say the converter influences everything (an advantage of course) ;) With [f]_[d] naming, 16bit maximized and everything else turned off, the roundtrip is good without flickering in resolve. Of course i had to link the media pool manually (problem between adobe and resolve :()

chmee

the pink highlight-button is ONLY for direct editing in Premiere. you dont need it (i think) if you start and end in resolve. the premiere roundtrip is finally only for editpoints.

but: the interesting point is, if its flickering:  where does it flicker? in resolve as well? in premiere? what data/recodring mode you're using?

anandkamal

I use .mlv files for processing. Latest build 5d3 113. Beta 3 converter.

Flickering is caused by Resolve. Flickering is like lightning occurring on the whole frame (not at the top or bottom, but as a whole). The color correction does not apply to certain frames and those frames show, among the other colored frames, like flickerings or lightning. This is seen in the rendered output and obviously when roundtrip-ped back into premiere.

chmee

irfanview is able to render dng's, please look into the folder, if you find those bad pictures. send it with another functional dng to [email protected]

anandkamal

thanks, with irfanview, cdngs are fine. But the flickering issue is NOT while importing the cdngs. The problem arises after I do color corrections (in playbacks & rendered outs). The color changes won't apply to certain frames. For ex: among 700 frames, the erroneous frames are around 300 or something. They keep on blinking indicating that the color corrections have not been worked on those 300 frames. I found that it has to do something with raw2cdng. When certain parameters are changed in raw2cdng, the flickering reappears. Every time (during updates or whatever), I optimize the roundtrip - resolve is a headache :(

The flickering is a very common problem in resolve (i googled it) and the below link shows the same problem that I face:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zq_Nhkoz0KU

There are so many reasons for flickering. Mainly, it is related to frames and frame rates, i think. With older versions of raw2cdng, when I faced problems in 23.976 conversion, there was flickering. Now in beta 3, everything is fine, unless I stick to certain keys, like naming in [f]_[d] and 16bit maximized options.

chmee

please take acount into the timecode of "broken" frames. are they regular in distance or on a certain timecode/frame?

Ramon

Quote from: chmee on May 04, 2014, 09:09:17 PM
please take acount into the timecode of "broken" frames. are they regular in distance or on a certain timecode/frame?

Hey, was going to test this converter.. but I can't seem to import .raw files :(
The beta3 and beta2 open fine, but when i drag drop a .raw file it gives this thing :(

anandkamal

I ll notice the timecode next time when it flickers. I think those are random flickerings based on the amount of color change that we do. I do not get flickering, what so ever, if I use LUTs and do nothing else. I face the problem only when i manually color correct the footage.

chmee

@ramon this symbol should only appear if you drop on wrong position. strange.. maybe thats a common problem with dragdrop in windows sometimes? try other app-position? or start app as admin..

Jbowdach

does anyone else have issues when trying to convert mlv files with numerous .001, etc (split at 4GBs due to using FAT32). I found beta3 isn't recognizing my media past around 3 files , any larger and the program doesnt see the clip at all ?? The application essentially did not recognize when I dropped the first MLV of the sequence of 8 files. However, If i drop a single MLV file or and MLV file with a single .001 file, it reads and converts no problem. Otherwise, it essentially does not see when I drop files with more "splits"? Any suggestions? Tried beta 2 and beta3.

Also, very excited for the new mlvtocdng :)

artyg

Hello Chmee! I test beta3 crashes with big files. I shot files from 250 frames to 6000 (4 minutes with 25 fps) and all OK! But with 8 minutes (12000 frames) program crash :( One time on 2900 frame, and one time on 3900 frame... this is very strange, because 4 minutes shot with 6000 frames convert ok... Somebody test beta3 with big files 8 minutes and more.

chmee

thanks for info. please forgive, busy in jobs. the next beta will have a debug-button for better insight into the things happening..

arturochu

Just shot 376gb in dual-iso mode, ready to test new beta.
Chu

artyg

Hmmm... with bild magiclantern-Nightly.2014May07.5D3123 and raw2cdng 1.5beta3 pink come back...

Then i use MLVViewSharp http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=8447.0 to convert to DNG and no pink appeare... Strange