50D Raw video

Started by Andy600, May 22, 2013, 03:40:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maxotics

RAWanizer is only an GUI to command line tools which you can find located in its /tools folder. 

It uses raw2dng to create dngs
it uses dcraw to create TIFFs from the dngs
It uses ffmpeg or ffmbc to create proxy videos
it uses raw2gpcf to create 422 cineform.

The versions of those programs, and the params sent to them , will change what you get.

Your TIFFs should not look like negatives.  They may be bw if you send the -D param to dcraw.

Asiertxu

Hi there 50D fans!
I´ve been searching about ETTR thing and info about how to get the best of our camera by boosting the ISO level as much as we can.
I came across with this VERY interesting article that, I think , clears up ETTR thing (Exposure To The Right) and why is important to up the Analogic ISO (NOT DIGITAL ISO or Extended ISO) levels to the maxium If necesary of our 50D etc...
as this concept is applicable to every DSLR etc..
So, I want to share this article with al l of you guys! :)

-DELETED-

What do you experts think of this?
Cheers and THANKS ML Developers/Members!
Asier.

Asiertxu

Sorry, the link above is not working.

Please, go to this one:

http://www.guillermoluijk.com/article/iso/index.htm

It is in Spanish but you can convert it to English by clicking the British Flag that is located at the top of the article!  ;)

Cheers fellows!
Asier.

JoeyZee

Can I have a link to the latest autoexec.bin for the 50D
I downloaded the latest build for the 50D v2.3 then went into the nightly builds and downloaded the files for the 50D, replaced what was in the v2.3 build folder with what the nightly build folder included and ran it on my camera but this is what I came across.

Or if anyone can point out what I'm doing wrong I'd greatly appreciate it, I'm trying to record raw video soon and I just got a 32gb 1000x cf card. 

dsManning

Looks like you're missing your fonts.dat file, as your error says. You don't just need another .bin file if you don't have a fonts.dat

https://bitbucket.org/andy600/tl50d/downloads

Download latest, copy over all files, not exe's from latest, and run.

maxotics

We had this problem with the EOS-M too.   Don't believe the fonts file has changed so an old should work too in the /data folder I believe.

kunle

test video

Another Canon 50D Raw Test - Tragic Lantern
No Colour Correction made.
Latest tragic Lantern,
Resolution 1584x674 continuous
1984 x844 cropped continuous
Lens used
Moon shots - Sigma 600mm X 1.4 extender x 3 (Magic lantern crop)
all other shots Super Multi Coated Takumar f/1.4
Fotga Slim Wide band fader ND
Workflow
Son of Batch
Davinci Resolve 10 lite beta
FCPX

Latest tragic Lantern,
Resolution 1584x674 continuous
1984 x844 cropped continuous
Workflow
Son of Batch
Davinci Resolve 10 lite beta
FCPX

Canons 5D MK III and 60D all with ML, Samyang 35 mm f/1.4,Samyang 85mm, Tamron 17-50mm vc, canon 70-200 L f4, Sigma 10-20m, SMC Takumar 50mm f/1.4.Sigma 50mm f1.4 art, Canon 24-105mm.

jamesd256

Quote from: scrizz on November 21, 2013, 02:53:55 AM
I....

http://www.komputerbay.com/terms-and-conditions  :-\

That is at odds with the way the cards are presented on Amazon:

- COMPATIBLE WITH DSLR, SLR, AND OTHER HIGH END CAMERAS
- Comes with free plastic case compact flash and Lifetime Warranty

And:

Ultra Reliability

Backed by a lifetime limited guarantee, you can have confidence in the quality of your card and its ability to withstand some of life's toughest conditions to continue to provide you with a long-lasting, reliable memory storage solution throughout its own lifetime and that of your Compact Flash compatible device.

It even says 'professional' on the card.

Bit misleading? The text is in direct conflict with the page you linked to.
5D3, 550D

JoeyZee

Quote from: maxotics on November 23, 2013, 04:14:48 AM
We had this problem with the EOS-M too.   Don't believe the fonts file has changed so an old should work too in the /data folder I believe.
Thanks man, worked for me so far, now going out to get some test footage and put it together later tonight.

scrizz

Quote from: jamesd256 on November 24, 2013, 01:13:36 AM
That is at odds with the way the cards are presented on Amazon:

- COMPATIBLE WITH DSLR, SLR, AND OTHER HIGH END CAMERAS
- Comes with free plastic case compact flash and Lifetime Warranty

And:

Ultra Reliability

Backed by a lifetime limited guarantee, you can have confidence in the quality of your card and its ability to withstand some of life's toughest conditions to continue to provide you with a long-lasting, reliable memory storage solution throughout its own lifetime and that of your Compact Flash compatible device.

It even says 'professional' on the card.

Bit misleading? The text is in direct conflict with the page you linked to.

expect the best but prepare for the worst? lol  ;D

rommex

KNOCK-KNOCK, anybody out there?  :o

I hope you people are fine and okay, just busy enough to drop some posts here....

Anyway, I'd like to share my experiences using the TL of October 11.

Overall I like it -- it is stable and gives good consistent results. But if I may rephrase Leo Tolstoy, we all say the same thing when everything works ok - "happy", but we bring in the difference when there is some glitch.

So, glitch-wise:

1. If I set up "Zoom on HalfShutter", this function works only when the lens is set to MF, and the screen goes purple. When I zoom in by pressing the Zoom In button in Live View, the screen has correct colors.

2. I tried to set new folders from the Canon menu: Manual Reset -> Create folder -> Select folder.

So, I had in the folder 100CANON files M29-1426.RAW and M29-1427.RAW as the ending files.
When I created new folder 101CANON and started recording, it started with M29-1426.RAW and so on... Any clues why? I expected M29-1428.RAW to be the right name for the first file in the new folder.

3. Since I have two 50D bodies right now, I do some comparison in performance. And I noticed that on one body I can set up the shutter at 1/47.8 then 1/50.7, while in the other body I have 1/47.7 and then 1/50.5. I have copied the ML files from one to another, so they have everything equal, including config file. What is the reason for that?

Also, from my wish list: is there any simple solution to somehow rate/ mark files on the go - the ones that I believe will be the best?

Thanks!

Peace  ;D

lomka

just purchased a 50D + 50mm f 1.4 lens from the amazon and it comes with 16 gb lexar 600x CF card will i be able to record in a raw with it?

LEVISDAVIS

With that type of card you will be able to record continuous at lower resolutions such as 1280x720... The full-resolution is not typically available for shooters with less than a 1000x card. However, you will be able to record with the camera's maximum resolutions, but it will have to be utilized with lower frame rates such as 10 - 14 fps and/or time-lapse. Totally worth the shooter's experience just so you know!
Levi S. Davis

rommex

Quote from: lomka on November 29, 2013, 04:51:44 PM
just purchased a 50D + 50mm f 1.4 lens from the amazon and it comes with 16 gb lexar 600x CF card will i be able to record in a raw with it?
I was able to record 1600x900 raw continuous at my Transcend x600 32gb card. Not Full HD at crop mode. In any case test your card. However keep in mind it will contain only 3-4 min of raw video.

dsManning

Quote from: rommex on November 29, 2013, 04:01:40 PM

Also, from my wish list: is there any simple solution to somehow rate/ mark files on the go - the ones that I believe will be the best?

I like this idea. Since we can pre-tag mlv files as; Take1, Take2, etc..., would it be possible to do that in post?  1-5 *'s or even just a 'thumbs up/down' system would help with workflow.

dogmydog

Hey all,

I'm shooting a webseries on my Canon 50D with raw_rec and loving it so far. It's about a husband trying to convince his wife to have sex with him.

Problem is, I'm in Brazil and summer is starting up. This means I got some overheating warnings on my camera last night.
What should I do to deal with it? Put a fan right on top of it? Air conditioner? Constant change cards?

Also, is there a way of auto-turning off Dialog Timers? Everytime I power off the camera to change card I have to turn the Dialog Timers Off again.

Last but not least, is anyone using the 7D for raw video as well?
Is it working as good as it is on the 50D? I'm considering using the 7D as a second camera if the 50D overheats on the set...

Thank you all so much for all the help! :)
Opposite of Sex
www.oppositeofsex.com
Canon 50D, 60D and 7D

sick stu

hi
When my 50D was overheating in the middle of a shoot i was opening the card slot door and taking the CF card out for a few minutes.
I also thought if that happens again i was going to try and use a can of compressed air and turn the can upside down
so the icy cold air cools the camera. NOTE: i was thinking  of closing the card slot door when spraying icy cold air as moisture would get into the card slot.
Or the other method im going to try is a fan from a graphics card or those cheap 6-10volt PC case fans wired up to a 9 volt battery with a switch and maybe use the hot shoe to bolt it to the camera and i could let the fan run while i set up the next shot.
I would NOT use one of those hand held pocket fans as the blades are made of child proof rubber and are rubbish!
It would have to be a fan with hard plastic blades like in a PC tower, im sure that would cool the camera in 2min?
http://www.kenable.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=6765&gclid=CK6i0fyuk7sCFcVQ7AodwDkAAA
stuart.

1%

Not sure what to do with the overheating, 7D does it too just not as fast and doesn't drop FPS.

lomka

How long can camera last without overheating and when does it occur?

1%

In terms of hours not sure, I can record at least a 64 twice over but I haven't tried in extreme heat yet. Maybe need to make some tests.

lomka

and is it true that long exposure , live view overheat the sensor and it causes the images to be more noisy?

1%

When the sensor overheats you get more dead pixels, not really more noise. But this is true for everything. Its most visible on digic V + fps override.

7D has another problem that has to be fixed, it has vertical banding that I have to figure out at high ISO... ie 3200, maybe the one below.

dogmydog

Quote from: sick stu on December 03, 2013, 07:04:38 AM
hi
When my 50D was overheating in the middle of a shoot i was opening the card slot door and taking the CF card out for a few minutes.
I also thought if that happens again i was going to try and use a can of compressed air and turn the can upside down
so the icy cold air cools the camera. NOTE: i was thinking  of closing the card slot door when spraying icy cold air as moisture would get into the card slot.
Or the other method im going to try is a fan from a graphics card or those cheap 6-10volt PC case fans wired up to a 9 volt battery with a switch and maybe use the hot shoe to bolt it to the camera and i could let the fan run while i set up the next shot.
I would NOT use one of those hand held pocket fans as the blades are made of child proof rubber and are rubbish!
It would have to be a fan with hard plastic blades like in a PC tower, im sure that would cool the camera in 2min?
http://www.kenable.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=6765&gclid=CK6i0fyuk7sCFcVQ7AodwDkAAA
stuart.

Thank you for the idea. I'll definately try to put a fan on it and turn of camera when arranging the set.

Quote from: lomka on December 03, 2013, 01:51:00 PM
How long can camera last without overheating and when does it occur?

It was real quick last time. I was in a theater stage and about 15min I started to get overheat warnings. We had to turn off the air conditioner because of the noise, so it doesn't affect the audio.

I was also using these batteries, since my original canon are old.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/300909515561?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Maybe it's battery related? They smelled funny right out of the package, but they worked fine tho.
Opposite of Sex
www.oppositeofsex.com
Canon 50D, 60D and 7D

djfremen

Quote from: dsManning on October 09, 2013, 07:22:31 PM
Thanks for the fisheye crop videos and talk.  Was just chatting with D.L. Watson about the 8mm Rokinon in crop mode.  Seems like a good buy, and that these fisheye lenses are turning out ok for crop shooting.  Also noticed you are around Porter Square area.  I'm right across the river in Brighton.

Let me get my math straight.

If I use 5x Crop with my 50D and the Rokinon 8mm it would be:

8 x 1.6 = 12.8
12.8 x 5 = 64

64mm effective Field Of View without Fisheye effects. Right?
That would give me 14bit RAW @ 1920x1080 with very limited moire / aliasing at almost a "normal" lens.

Andy600

Quote from: djfremen on December 04, 2013, 01:42:51 AM
Let me get my math straight.

If I use 5x Crop with my 50D and the Rokinon 8mm it would be:

8 x 1.6 = 12.8
12.8 x 5 = 64

64mm effective Field Of View without Fisheye effects. Right?
That would give me 14bit RAW @ 1920x1080 with very limited moire / aliasing at almost a "normal" lens.

Nearly. I worked out the raw crop factor on the 50D (at 1080p) is 2.475x not 5x. It can shoot 2000px but it's near enough for a good approximation.

5x is the live view zoom factor (the recorded area is bigger than what you see in Liveview) so your 8mmm will be equivalent to approx 32mm on a full frame sensor. You may still get some distortion with a fisheye which will need correcting. Unfortunately, the recorded area (in crop mode) is not exactly in the center of the sensor so it will not be uniformed distortion :( You would need to manually correct perspective and pin-cushioning in post.

Other than that and the fact that you can't see exactly what you're shooting in crop, crop raw will give you the best quality. I'm shooting with it all the time. I rarely see moire and very little aliasing.

Tip: To 'roughly' work out what a lens will be when shooting crop video, just add the APS-C and raw crop factors i.e. lens focal length x 4
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com