50D Raw video

Started by Andy600, May 22, 2013, 03:40:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rockfallfilms

Quote from: funkysensation on October 28, 2013, 01:45:26 PM
Hey guys,

here´s a test of my new Slider with 50D Raw.

Infos: http://550draw.blogspot.com/

Some nice shots in there and a great location too.

1%

Quotebut when I go to 5x mode, the preview starts glitching. Anyone else have this issue and is there a solution?

What do you mean by glitching? And which preview mode?

menoc

Quote from: D.L. Watson on October 28, 2013, 02:40:54 AM
Love the new build. Very clean and professional. I like how it says how many seconds I've recorded. Nice.

Only issue I've seen, and maybe it's been addressed in the forum someplace else, but when I go to 5x mode, the preview starts glitching. Anyone else have this issue and is there a solution?

Thanks in advanced.

Took my 50D up to Crater Lake a few months ago with some really old dirty lenses.

Nice video.

Are you talking about the Magic Lantern or the Tragic Lantern build?

Andy600

Quote from: 1% on October 28, 2013, 04:18:08 PM
What do you mean by glitching? And which preview mode?

I think he means Live View. I noticed it today while shooting and was getting occasional screen glitches but footage is unaffected.
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

rommex

Quote from: funkysensation on October 28, 2013, 01:45:26 PM
Hey guys,

here´s a test of my new Slider with 50D Raw.

Infos: http://550draw.blogspot.com/

Hey there! Very impressive video. Some shots are SO filmic that I have to convince myself it was shot on 50D  ;D

May I ask you (without being frowned at by others  :o ): do you have any special technique/hints how to avoid aliasing when shooting so many straight construction lines? I tend to think that I would have gotten aliasing everywhere in shot should I have shot what you did.

Thanks!

1%

QuoteI think he means Live View. I noticed it today while shooting and was getting occasional screen glitches but footage is unaffected

ok, the pink/purple flashes? I got that on 7D today when ETTR is adjusting.

D.L. Watson

Quote from: Andy600 on October 28, 2013, 07:44:39 PM
I think he means Live View. I noticed it today while shooting and was getting occasional screen glitches but footage is unaffected.

Yes. Sorry. Live-View mode at 5x crop. I wasn't sure if it would affect video and I was pressed for time so I didn't try it. But it's really bad on my 50D, blinking in and out, purple, pink flashes, hard to frame or pull focus. And it's with the latest Magic Lantern build. Jump to 10x crop or return to normal crop and it's fine.

And it even happens when I disable the ETTR module.
See my portfolio of work at www.dlwatson.net

1%

Well the pink glitch is occasional but thats when you're not doing anything, just high CPU usage... its really bad on 600D so to see it on something else seems to say the CPU usage is edging when too many cpu indicators or on working on raw data + ettr is adjusting.

There is the new raw color preview on 1/2 shutter that has a pink flash and sometimes black in between. Hold half shutter on ML grayscale preview, of course it won't work while recording because of GD needing to be off but otherwise OK.. also the LV gray fix comes off when you press 1/2 shutter too, which is really pink now. not sure if it was less pink before.

brandonmarsh

I've been toying around with Magic Lantern and had a few random questions.

• I'm using the original RAW build, and am having an issue wherein when I try to record in zoomed in, the entire liveview turns greyscale. Is there a reason this happens?

• Tragic Lantern - Is it as easy as downloading the .bin and overwriting the card? I tried but was having a ton of issues with Tragic Lantern not displaying properly, etc.

Thanks in advance.

maxotics

Quote from: brandonmarsh on October 29, 2013, 05:19:18 AM
I've been toying around with Magic Lantern and had a few random questions.

• I'm using the original RAW build, and am having an issue wherein when I try to record in zoomed in, the entire liveview turns greyscale. Is there a reason this happens?

• Tragic Lantern - Is it as easy as downloading the .bin and overwriting the card? I tried but was having a ton of issues with Tragic Lantern not displaying properly, etc.

Thanks in advance.

TL is still alpha, you want to spend some time reading the threads because you have to do more than "toy around" to get anywhere.  Sorry.

The LV turns gray because RAW video works by intercepting the RAW feed to the LV and saving it on a card.  So there isn't enough CPU to show a good image.   You can get color LV, but it will be so slow as to be useless for focusing.

Nothing is as "it is as easy as".  Sorry again!  Hope you stick with it.  Once you get the hang of it it is pretty reliable on the 50D, if that's what you're using. 

I keep a thread on the EOS-M, which covers some issues that apply to the 50D too.  (the 50D does NOT have the focus dot issue and can do double the resolution of the EOS-M).

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=8825.msg82944#msg82944

Look for the threads from RenatoPhoto too.  He covers a lot of the basics.

riccardocovino

I finally decided to make a test for the Dark Frame Subtraction technique.
It's used in photography to reduce noise and remove hot pixels, and somebody claimed it could be used in video too.
The answer is no.
Well, it removes hot pixels, but noise remains the same or even worse.
You can check by yourself in the video below

or read the whole story on my blog and download the high quality video (utube made a awful compression, even in fullhd!)

www.riccardocovino.it
BMCC - 50D - D5200 - Nex5N

a1ex

How did you capture the dark frame?

If you only take a single video frame, it will increase the standard deviation of the noise by sqrt(2). If you average lots of video frames, it will leave the random part of the noise unchanged, but should help with FPN, hot pixels and black level calibration.

riccardocovino

hi a1ex, I shot a video with the lens cap.
same lenght (more or less) of the other, than put it in subtraction mode on it.
so you suggest a single frame made with the average of the dark video?
BMCC - 50D - D5200 - Nex5N

Andy600

Quote from: D.L. Watson on October 29, 2013, 03:34:28 AM
Yes. Sorry. Live-View mode at 5x crop. I wasn't sure if it would affect video and I was pressed for time so I didn't try it. But it's really bad on my 50D, blinking in and out, purple, pink flashes, hard to frame or pull focus. And it's with the latest Magic Lantern build. Jump to 10x crop or return to normal crop and it's fine.

And it even happens when I disable the ETTR module.

As 1% said it's probably pushing the CPU to the max. I disable everything other than the histogram. Just noticed I still had zebras enabled yesterday from a different config which I was setting up which probably caused the glitching but it was happening for me in normal (non-crop) mode too. Disabled the zebras and it seems to have stopped glitching but it was never severe on my camera.

Try deleting all your configs and setting them up again.

BTW 1%, mlv_rec is not compiling now  ??? but the new player is nice... rec709 playback woohoo! 8) I wonder if this can also be done for 5x preview instead of that god-awful grayscale display filter (would be useful even at very low fps because it's only for framing)??
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

Andy600

re: dark frames - We need a set of 50D Neat Video profiles for different ISOs. Anyone know how to do it properly?

a1ex

Quote from: Andy600 on October 29, 2013, 01:42:59 PM
rec709 playback woohoo! 8)

50D has rec601, so you may need to fix the matrix ;)

maxotics

Quote from: Andy600 on October 29, 2013, 01:45:06 PM
re: dark frames - We need a set of 50D Neat Video profiles for different ISOs. Anyone know how to do it properly?

I have a 50D and Neat Video (the 720p version--my guess is Neat would upgrade me if I asked nicely), but am consumed with the focus pixel issue on the EOS-M.  However, if someone can get me going I have a light-stand setup that is good for taking test images.

Andy600

Quote from: a1ex on October 29, 2013, 01:56:07 PM
50D has rec601, so you may need to fix the matrix ;)

Ah, ok. Do you by any chance know where the 601 matrix numbers are?

I see it's set in imgconv.c?? Is that right?

a1ex

See the comments in the source code.

Andy600

Quote from: a1ex on October 29, 2013, 02:03:23 PM
See the comments in the source code.

martinreddy.net has BT601 as:

Y'= 0.299*R' + 0.587*G' + 0.114*B'
Cb=-0.169*R' - 0.331*G' + 0.500*B'
Cr= 0.500*R' - 0.419*G' - 0.081*B'

I guess this needs to be portable but can I just swap out the numbers on the 50D? Will it work temporarily?

a1ex

Look at the other code that uses rec709 or 601.

goldenchild9to5

The old Tragic Lantern is rock solid no hick-ups, and I get great results  ;D  just shot a commercial finishing my edits should post soon.

soundwizard99

Quote from: goldenchild9to5 on October 29, 2013, 11:51:19 PM
The old Tragic Lantern is rock solid no hick-ups, and I get great results  ;D  just shot a commercial finishing my edits should post soon.

Which version of Tragic Lantern did you use? I was using the latest version and it gave me all sorts of issues on a music video shoot that I had never experienced in my previous test, such as the raw video module disappearing and the modules screen disappearing all together. I had to remove the battery in order to reload the raw module. This happened a few times.

CITY-U1001

Hi All.
maximum Fps for 50D is 30fps ? Why 48fps not supported ?
50D | EFS 18-55 | last build crop_rec-3744x1080_24fps_50D-eXperimental.4.57pm.2020May06.50D109.zip

Andy600

Quote from: CITY-U1001 on October 30, 2013, 11:58:47 AM
Hi All.
maximum Fps for 50D is 30fps ? Why 48fps not supported ?

Because there is no 720p mode on the 50D.