50D Raw video

Started by Andy600, May 22, 2013, 03:40:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

goldenchild9to5

Quote from: JulianH on June 02, 2013, 10:05:06 PM
Nice! But what build is that? I got 6 buffer stars on Greg's 28 may built. How come you have only 3 with a faster card.. interesting :)

@goldenchild9to5 how many dots do you get for the buffer? Mine shows like <**....>

I just noticed something I'm getting none stop recordings with canon's bottom overlays on.  Looking @Artiswar's picture he has no overlays that's probably why I'm not getting to 15GB myself.  And I tried hard pans still no Hick-ups with bottom overlays from Canon  ;D

JulianH

Quote from: goldenchild9to5 on June 02, 2013, 10:10:52 PM
Same as @Artiswar (*..) 3 Stars not 6.  If you want I can zip a copy of my build for you to try, let me know Julian.
Please! I'll give it a try.

Going to format and align my card again, see if I can squeeze a bit more speed out of it. I thought the camera was the bottleneck, turns out it's not. Good :)

dhallowell19

I'm using what would seem to be the same setup as goldenchild9to5 (latest build, Komputerbay 64, etc) - who reports smooth results.

I tried setting resolution to 1600 to see if that helped, but even with Global Draw OFF, Hacked Mode ON, 24fps overrride...  the 1592x896 - writing to the card is at about 41Mb/s and I start dropping after about 200 frames.   I'd love to figure out what's causing performance in my setup to be so much slower.
Will stay with it and learn my way there somehow.  Ongoing thanks for any tips along the way.

Best

artiswar

Quote from: JulianH on June 02, 2013, 10:14:29 PM

Going to format and align my card again, see if I can squeeze a bit more speed out of it. I thought the camera was the bottleneck, turns out it's not. Good :)

Julian, are you formatting in camera? With what are you aligning in OSX?

goldenchild9to5

Quote from: artiswar on June 02, 2013, 10:13:11 PM
I was curious to that as well.

Camera setting have hacked mode on, 1600 resolution picked, jpg L in Canon menu.

No CF reader around right now but I'm planning on merging the spanned clips in Terminal, adding the footer in a hex editor, and hoping for the best.

Nice.. that 1600 resolution seems to work well for some odd reason, JPG (L) that's the first setting for JPG right.. the 15megapixel one.  Let us know how it works out for you.

savale

My situation is not stable with the komputerbay 1000x 64gb tonight. But I didn't set the the picture quality to JPG...
I've found a few more issues that are kind of disturbing (using the 28may build):

1) My raw settings are not persistent. Every time I close liveview / switch off the camera I have to setup the raw settings again (I have the raw module loading automatically)
2) start recording raw is done using the liveview button. After I stopped recording, the only way to switch off liveview is to turn off the camera.
3) It might be a setting? But after doing nothing for about a minute it switches off liveview. Not a big deal, but together with issue 1 it's frustrating :P

goldenchild9to5

Give me a couple minutes gonna send right away for you.  I guess not cause it does not stop & no frame dropped. 

1%

3 stars means you have something using memory... ie raw + jpeg.

goldenchild9to5

Quote from: dhallowell19 on June 02, 2013, 10:15:47 PM
I'm using what would seem to be the same setup as goldenchild9to5 (latest build, Komputerbay 64, etc) - who reports smooth results.

I tried setting resolution to 1600 to see if that helped, but even with Global Draw OFF, Hacked Mode ON, 24fps overrride...  the 1592x896 - writing to the card is at about 41Mb/s and I start dropping after about 200 frames.   I'd love to figure out what's causing performance in my setup to be so much slower.
Will stay with it and learn my way there somehow.  Ongoing thanks for any tips along the way.

Best

Hey dhallowell here is another trick I tried:  If your using a mac, or windows I formatted my card to Exfat first & reformatted my card in camera.  Gonna post a link of my build so you can give it a try yourself, also try to re-install canon's 1.0.9 firmware again and reset everything in camera to the default setting.  I forgot in camera turn off Raw in canon menu & turn on JPG (L) setting on geat tip from @JulianH lastly install my build on your camera. 

JulianH

You guys getting <...> for buffer, check Shoot Malloc. Should be 212M. It's 188 when raw is on in the camera.

goldenchild9to5

Here is the link to build: http://limelinx.com/flwls

goldenchild9to5

Quote from: dhallowell19 on June 02, 2013, 10:15:47 PM

Best

Here is a link to download the build that I'm using http://limelinx.com/flwls

JulianH

Aligned the card (to 1024KB) and reinstalled everything. That build you're uploading is exactly GregoryOfManhattans build of 28May I suppose? Maybe best to keep it centralized and just link to the post (it's linked in the topic start as well).

I still get the same results. Actually I think the card got worse after aligning it. I've set it to 1024KB, should I use something else? I've no idea to be honest  ::)

goldenchild9to5

Quote from: 1% on June 02, 2013, 10:25:38 PM
3 stars means you have something using memory... ie raw + jpeg.

I Checked my settings 1% I'm only on the JPG (L) Mode.  Now I'm getting Past 5GB files. 

savale

I aligned my card (first sector) to 4096 and formatted it fat32 with block size 4096. In the usb 3 cardreader I get read speeds above 125MB/s. I will do a benchmark now to see my speeds

@goldenchild9to5: your card is formatted exFat or what? How do you get past the 4GB limit? :O

JulianH

goldenchild9to5

Quote from: JulianH on June 02, 2013, 10:44:19 PM
Aligned the card (to 1024KB) and reinstalled everything. That build you're uploading is exactly GregoryOfManhattans build of 28May I suppose? Maybe best to keep it centralized and just link to the post (it's linked in the topic start as well).

I still get the same results. Actually I think the card got worse after aligning it. I've set it to 1024KB, should I use something else? I've no idea to be honest  ::)

I think you should format in camera that's what I've been doing. 

I'm currently getting past 5GB actually got to 8GB and stopped it cause it kept on going consistent 57mb/s here is a picture. 

@Artiswar confirmed more than 5GB's

Link: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/24/img20130602164422.jpg/

menoc

Quote from: JulianH on June 02, 2013, 10:32:27 PM
You guys getting <...> for buffer, check Shoot Malloc. Should be 212M. It's 188 when raw is on in the camera.

Turn OFF:  Auto Lightning Optimizer, Long Exposure Noise Reduction, High ISO Noise Reduction, Highlight Tone Rpiority

goldenchild9to5

Quote from: savale on June 02, 2013, 10:51:41 PM
I aligned my card (first sector) to 4096 and formatted it fat32 with block size 4096. In the usb 3 cardreader I get read speeds above 125MB/s. I will do a benchmark now to see my speeds

@goldenchild9to5: your card is formatted exFat or what? How do you get past the 4GB limit? :O

I first format it Exfat than reformat in camera just trying different tricks sometimes those tricks work.  I don't know I just shot for 20GB none stop.. 

menoc

To free up malloc set these settings in Canon Menus:

menoc

Quote from: JulianH on June 02, 2013, 10:56:19 PM
Spanning works with Fat32!

Yes. But Files are corrupt. Unless there's something newly developed . . .

goldenchild9to5

Guy's I just recorded a 20GB file with my 50D I had to stop it it kept on going Zero frame drops hard pans + @ ISO 3200 no problem.  @ times it shows a little hint of going to 2nd stars because I was panning it like crazy after that back to 1 * Idling 57mb/s constant.  Now we only gotta figure out the panning situation.  Lastly need to record 1, or 2 warm-up shots to ramp the card up than you can't stop it. 

goldenchild9to5

Quote from: menoc on June 02, 2013, 11:17:09 PM
Yes. But Files are corrupt. Unless there's something newly developed . . .

I know now we just gotta wait for new development.  Thanks for those in camera settings gonna try now. 

pinger007

Quote from: Roman on June 02, 2013, 06:48:08 AM
I believe under one of the ML menus there is a 'sticky DOF preview' button - so you can press the button and it holds it down until you press it again. I havent tried it on the 50D yet, but have just been re-reading the ML user guide.

I found the DOF sticky option.  It's located in the Misc key settings under Prefs.  It works great, but you can only activate it once recording has begun - if you activate it first, then you will be unable to record using the liveview button.  The problem I have in post is when I import the DNG sequence into After Effects, I only have the option to grade the first representative frame.  Unfortunately, the first frame is almost always incorrectly exposed since there's a delay from the time I hit record to the time the DOF sticky is engaged. 

Is there a way to engage the DOF sticky before the Raw recording?  If this isn't possible, then is there a way to specify a different representative frame in After Effects?  I know this can be done via Adobe Bridge, but I'd like to avoid the extra steps if at all possible.

Thanks.
all you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you

nathan.nazeck

Quote from: goldenchild9to5 on June 02, 2013, 05:38:22 PM
In one of your post you said not to use the May 28th build guess I was reading wrong than, Gonna try out the new build today.  For some reason I'm getting a lot noise in almost all ISO settings don't know what I'm doing wrong.  Is it a setting that's boosting the noise in camera.

////
check your fps override settings... mine was set for optimize for exact frames which seemed to bring a lot of noise.  changed to optimize for low light and it's shooting clean at 1600 now.