50D Raw video

Started by Andy600, May 22, 2013, 03:40:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy600

Quote from: artiswar on May 31, 2013, 12:37:33 AM
Would this be a rewrite somewhere in the source or a format on a PC for the card?

Format the CF to exfat in a computer
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

artiswar

Quote from: Andy600 on May 31, 2013, 12:39:36 AM
Format the CF to exfat in a computer
Cards and cam in hand by Monday but by then I'm sure this will be a thing of the past. So the spanning issue originates in the segmentation based on a FAT32 system?

Andy600

@1% - If you have 2 mins can you have a peek at Gregory's pull request, specifically the raw.c changes and see if anything jumps out at you that would/might cause this green/magenta issue in crop mode.

Also I'm looking at lines 438 & 439. I presume these define the max raw image size of the 50d? If so they are wrong. They are showing the same dimensions as the 60d which has an 18MP sensor.
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

CFP

So does exFat work on the 50D?

If it does, you won't need file spanning.

Just format the card in your PC and make it bootable with EOScard.

CaptainOfObvious

JulianH

Still quite a lot of green in the blacks Captain.

I'll try exFat tomorrow. Really have to get some sleep now - after I upload the footage I shot today :)

GregoryOfManhattan

Quote from: Andy600 on May 31, 2013, 12:43:29 AM
@1% - If you have 2 mins can you have a peek at Gregory's pull request, specifically the raw.c changes and see if anything jumps out at you that would/might cause this green/magenta issue in crop mode.

Also I'm looking at lines 438 & 439. I presume these define the max raw image size of the 50d? If so they are wrong. They are showing the same dimensions as the 60d which has an 18MP sensor.

in http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5586.msg42456#msg42456 , i said there are 6 camera specific conditionals for which the values need to be confirmed for the 50D.

the ones around line 438 are commented out and inactive - they are for QR_MODE - image review after taking pics.

/*        #if defined(CONFIG_50D) NEED Raw dump to get correct values
        width = 5344;
        height = 3516;
        skip_left = 142;
        skip_right = 0;
        skip_top = 50;
        #endif
*/

so let's get the correct values for the Raw image size - though this likely will not help the tint issues.

Andy600

Sorry Gregory, I should have read your notes first  :-[ So it's playback related. I'm gonna try work it out.

BTW are you seeing any black borders on DNGs?

CaptainOfObvious

Quote from: JulianH on May 31, 2013, 01:17:29 AM
Still quite a lot of green in the blacks Captain.

I'll try exFat tomorrow. Really have to get some sleep now - after I upload the footage I shot today :)

Indeed, not ideal. I just wanted to see what RPP would do with it's autoWB. With some further tweaking I was able to push it further towards proper white balance. Wish I could help out with the exfat question, I have my 50D in hand but CF card comes wednesday!  :-\

JulianH

Quote from: Andy600 on May 31, 2013, 01:23:48 AM
BTW are you seeing any black borders on DNGs?
1592 width has two black pixels on the left.
I think it depends on the resolution. There are a lot now :) Can check if needed which ones give black borders or not. Let me know!

JulianH

Panning mode working on the 50D. Shot at 1592x530 to show some movement.

Andy600

@Gregory - I've just read the notes for running a raw dump through img.py and it's well beyond what I can do with my limited knowledge. It's the only way to get it accurate.

Have you tried altering the skip values to get rid of the 2px border (maybe line 323 should be 74?). I think these might also affect black point calc. (I seem to remember 1% saying something about it).

Thanks @JulianH

GregoryOfManhattan

Quote from: 1% on May 31, 2013, 12:32:31 AM
Re: File splitting;

Are you sure this camera doesn't support exfat? I have no large file problems on SD cameras. A1ex fixed card full footer writing or at least appears so.
those fixes are not working on 50D, file splits at 4G, but then cannot be processed by raw2ndg
this is using code from today such as unified commit e4fc7c7
few more details at:
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5586.msg43110#msg43110

exFat does not affects the ability of raw_rec.c to segment into files and raw2dng to process the files.

i'd be willing to try exFat it if the contrib make-bootable played nice with osx diskutil (or someone has another gpt/sg/fdisk command suggestion known to work on osx 10.8)

$diskutil eraseDisk exFAT EOS_DIGITAL  disk1
Started erase on disk1
Unmounting disk
Creating the partition map
Waiting for the disks to reappear
Formatting disk1s2 as ExFAT with name EOS_DIGITAL
Volume name      : EOS_DIGITAL
Partition offset : 411648 sectors (210763776 bytes)
Volume size      : 62107648 sectors (31799115776 bytes)
Bytes per sector : 512
Bytes per cluster: 32768
FAT offset       : 2048 sectors (1048576 bytes)
# FAT sectors    : 8192
Number of FATs   : 1
Cluster offset   : 10240 sectors (5242880 bytes)
# Clusters       : 970272
Volume Serial #  : 51a7e1ed
Bitmap start     : 2
Bitmap file size : 121284
Upcase start     : 6
Upcase file size : 5836
Root start       : 7
Mounting disk
Finished erase on disk1

$ sudo sh contrib/make-bootable/make_bootable.sh
Found /dev/disk1s2
Volume EOS_DIGITAL on disk1s2 unmounted
Error: /dev/disk1s2 is not a FAT16, FAT32 of EXFAT device
Format your card in camera before using this script
debug /dev/disk1s2 (

fat32 is no problem

diskutil eraseDisk FAT32 EOS_DIGITAL  disk1
Started erase on disk1
Unmounting disk
Creating the partition map
Waiting for the disks to reappear
Formatting disk1s2 as MS-DOS (FAT32) with name EOS_DIGITAL
512 bytes per physical sector
/dev/rdisk1s2: 62077280 sectors in 1939915 FAT32 clusters (16384 bytes/cluster)
bps=512 spc=32 res=32 nft=2 mid=0xf8 spt=32 hds=255 hid=411648 drv=0x80 bsec=62107648 bspf=15156 rdcl=2 infs=1 bkbs=6
Mounting disk
Finished erase on disk1

$ sudo sh contrib/make-bootable/make_bootable.sh
Found /dev/disk1s2
Volume EOS_DIGITAL on disk1s2 unmounted
Applying FAT32 parameters on /dev/disk1s2 device:
writing EOS_DEVELOP at offset 71 (Volume label)
11+0 records in
11+0 records out
11 bytes transferred in 0.000376 secs (29256 bytes/sec)
writing BOOTDISK at offset 92 (Boot code)
8+0 records in
8+0 records out
8 bytes transferred in 0.000409 secs (19565 bytes/sec)

Andy600

I think 1% is saying that splitting files isn't needed at all with exFat but I don't think exFat is supported in the 50d.

GregoryOfManhattan

hey Andy600,
yes, this is what we need to adjust.

Quote from: Andy600 on May 31, 2013, 01:42:30 AM
@Gregory get rid of the 2px border (maybe line 323 should be 74?). I think these might also affect black point calc. (I seem to remember 1% saying something about it).

* The RAW file has unused areas, usually black; we need to skip them.
         * To find the skip values, start with 0,
         * load the RAW in your favorite photo editor (e.g. ufraw+gimp),
         * then find the usable area, read the coords and plug the skip values here.
         * Try to use even offsets only, otherwise the colors will be screwed up.

for raw file we have in the code now (and perhaps need to adjust)

skip_top    22;
        skip_left   = 72;
        skip_right  = 0;
        skip_bottom = 0;

for zoomed in raw we have in the code now and need to adjust
        skip_top    = 50;
        skip_left   = 72;
        skip_right  = 0;
        skip_bottom = 0;

can someone please load in a processed raw of each type and measure how many pixels off we are.

Julian sees 2 black pixels on left is that for zoomed or not or both?
the zoomed in image is the one with the potential black point shift - see any more black edges?

wonder what happens if we crop too much off here?

CFP

Quote from: Andy600 on May 31, 2013, 02:03:02 AM
I think 1% is saying that splitting files isn't needed at all with exFat
Right.

I was able to record a 7 GB file with exFat on the 600d. And to process it with Raw2Dng.

Andy600

Quote from: GregoryOfManhattan on May 31, 2013, 02:06:35 AM

wonder what happens if we crop too much off here?

It says to keep offsets to even numbers or the colors get screwed. Changing the value will either screw the image or adjust the border. It wont do any damage. I think it's been done by trial and error on the other bodies. My guess is that skipping 2 px will remove the border and any more will probably distort the image.

If the Black point is calculated on an image with any black border it will be off. This might fix the color cast... might  ???

I also noted the white point has a universal value of 15000 apart from the 6d which is 13000. I wonder what playing with this will do? We have a different sensor so it might need tuning more.

goldenchild9to5

Man you guy's are moving so fast with the build updates  ;D  Keep up the good work @Gregory my camera should be coming this weekend I'll be able to help than.  @JulianH once again another great test like that panning option so cool. 

JulianH

My results for today. The video is graded in ACR. I did reduce some moire on the water :)
Download the original. Shot at 1592x864, upsized to 1080p.

Will upload dng's tomorrow.

Andy600

@JulianH - Very nice :) You can pick out colour and texture in the harbor wall that would usually be trashed by H.264.

goldenchild9to5

Quote from: JulianH on May 31, 2013, 02:20:00 AM

My results for today. The video is graded in ACR. I did reduce some moire on the water :)
Download the original. Shot at 1592x864, upsized to 1080p.

Will upload dng's tomorrow.

Wow Wow Wow!!!! Great video Julian.. I don't care what anybody says the 50D is by far the most filmic out of all the Canon's including the 5D Mark III. The images are soo organic looking it gives you that celluloid feel, the colors texture is unmatched Love it. Glad that I got a 50D, I think the resolution is just perfect not too sharp, not too soft just right. Keep it up Julian will be shooting some test footage soon as I get my 50D in the mail Cheers.

goldenchild9to5

Quote from: Andy600 on May 31, 2013, 02:32:53 AM
@JulianH - Very nice :)

Love the 50D footage looks amazing.  The 5D Mark III don't have that organic celluloid nature the way it renders the images, The cadence & motion is by far the best in the canon line-up.  Now let's get that build stable in functioning a 100%.  Did you get your card yet?

Roman

That footage looks absolutely incredible!

I'm off to buy a CF card today... So just a question, what sort of bit rate does the 50D go up to, or how fast can it go in the read/write tests? Is it limited to 50mb/s or there abouts?

Will a 60mb/s card fare well enough?

Sandisc 90mb/s is about twice the price... Which I'm willing to buy if it makes a difference.

I ran a benchmark on the cards that came with the camera.... 6mb/s write speed hahaha. Not nearly using the camera to its potential, if using burst mode or whatever!

Andy600

Quote from: goldenchild9to5 on May 31, 2013, 02:40:26 AM
Did you get your card yet?

It's not in my hands but it's arrived in the country. Got to pick it up but never had a chance today and I missed delivery of another 'temporary' card that I bought locally while waiting. I think I used up all my luck getting the camera cheap :D

artiswar

Any idea from anyone out there if the Mosaic Engineering AAF for the 60D would fit the 50D? Could be a nice solution for the moire and aliasing issues.