50D Raw video

Started by Andy600, May 22, 2013, 03:40:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

goldenchild9to5

Quote from: Andy600 on May 27, 2013, 02:04:04 PM
I'll try compiling a new raw module with more values. I know it's hit and miss as to whether they will work. Still working blind here (no CF :( )

When did you order your card?

goldenchild9to5

Guy's check this Raw Film batch converter out it's very interesting "Create a true film simulation of your video using RAW PHOTO PROCESSOR"

http://youtu.be/ICwv6GYLC9I
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ICwv6GYLC9I" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

And here is the site: http://www.raw-photo-processor.com/RPP/Overview.html

Let me know what you think about it. 

Dunc101

Quote from: Andy600 on May 27, 2013, 02:06:17 PM
@Dunc101 - Sorry, not possible yet. We need a dev with a 40d to port the changes as it's much harder to do without having the actual camera to hand in order to test every change. It might be looked at after the 50d is sorted.
@Andy600 -
I have the basics to hacking in a compiler, I could try, if I can have a few pointers.

Cheers
D

JulianH

Quote from: goldenchild9to5 on May 27, 2013, 06:57:43 PM
Guy's check this Raw Film batch converter out it's very interesting "Create a true film simulation of your video using RAW PHOTO PROCESSOR"

Let me know what you think about it.
Mac only, I'm on Windows.. looks interesting though.

arrinkiiii

Quote from: Dunc101 on May 27, 2013, 07:50:40 PM
@Andy600 -
I have the basics to hacking in a compiler, I could try, if I can have a few pointers.

Cheers
D

Very nice  :D  thats the way Dunc101  :D

Andy600

@Dunc101 start here: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=991.0 (I recommend using the VM compiler unless you're comfortable building your own. I tried the Windows one (cygwin) but the VM one is much better.

Get a Bitbucket account and fork from the unified build: https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern and read up on Mercurial if you haven't used it :http://mercurial.selenic.com/wiki/Tutorial

Clone the repo locally.

@coutts has the stubs for 40d (but I have no clue as to what you would do with them)

That's where my knowledge ends I'm afraid.

I can pull changes, do minor code adjustments and compile but beyond that I'm a complete novice. The code is usually well commented so it's a case of going through it and trying to understand it a little piece at a time.

Porting the 40d will be a much harder thing than what I am capable of so good luck if you attempt it. There is already a port for the 50d and a developer working on incorporating the new features. I'm concentrating on understanding what these new additions do and looking for bugs.

Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

dacssfreak

This is weird. I've been shooting some footage, the camera reached 45 MB/s with the Transcend 16 GB 1000x. But suddenly the rate dropped to 25 again. That is so strange. I didn't change any variables, why does this happen. Nevertheless I shot 30 seconds of footage in 1592x720 which im going to upload now for you to look at.

JulianH

Make sure you turn all the overlays off, also the Canon ones. Sad to hear the speed drops :(
1592x720 works fluid here with my Sandisk 90MB/s.

PressureFM

Quote from: JulianH on May 27, 2013, 09:39:56 AM
500MB DNG sequence

If you want to play with the DNG's... (and see if you can get it working without frame skipping ;))

Weird, I looked it through and it doesn't frame skip here. There must be something wrong with your workflow or Vimeo/Youtube does something when re-encoding.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ydcioufxct9oz1y/No_Frame_Skip.mov

goldenchild9to5

Quote from: JulianH on May 27, 2013, 08:08:26 PM
Mac only, I'm on Windows.. looks interesting though.

It's Windows as well go to there site you will see the windows download link..

goldenchild9to5

Quote from: dacssfreak on May 27, 2013, 09:10:07 PM
This is weird. I've been shooting some footage, the camera reached 45 MB/s with the Transcend 16 GB 1000x. But suddenly the rate dropped to 25 again. That is so strange. I didn't change any variables, why does this happen. Nevertheless I shot 30 seconds of footage in 1592x720 which im going to upload now for you to look at.

Try reformatting your card and reinstall ML with Raw Hack I was reading something about speeds drops the other day.  If you try it and it does not work than it might be something with your card. 

goldenchild9to5

Quote from: PressureFM on May 27, 2013, 09:57:44 PM
Weird, I looked it through and it doesn't frame skip here. There must be something wrong with your workflow or Vimeo/Youtube does something when re-encoding.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ydcioufxct9oz1y/No_Frame_Skip.mov

That's what I said too, the sequence has no frame drops, or skipping so something definitely went wrong with the encoding, or Vimeo. 

goldenchild9to5

Quote from: JulianH on May 27, 2013, 09:29:23 PM
Make sure you turn all the overlays off, also the Canon ones. Sad to hear the speed drops :(
1592x720 works fluid here with my Sandisk 90MB/s.

How many seconds of recording time do you get @ that Res..?  Does it get to the 4GB file limit?  Man I can't wait to get my 50D & all the other stuff to start shooting and testing.  The holidays made it even slower, but I'll be patient.   

GregoryOfManhattan

hi all - first post - thank you for efforts and information.
just installed ml 50D from this thread - crashing @1592x720 with lexar 1000x 32G
will turn off all overlays, switch to jpg for photo, and let you know.

Andy600 and Smeangol,
are the autoexec.bin and modules linked on the 2nd post to smeangol.com/ still the best to use for the 50D?
i see the fork https://bitbucket.org/smeangol/smeangols-sneaky-magic-lantern/commits/all with commits on 25.05.2013
the files in the Modules folder were compiled 18-23.
is there another fork or more recent code i could (should) try?

JulianH

50D vs 5D Mark II raw  8)

Notes, details and settings on Vimeo. You can download the file or watch here in 1080p!

Andy600

Quote from: GregoryOfManhattan on May 27, 2013, 11:08:44 PM
hi all - first post - thank you for efforts and information.
just installed ml 50D from this thread - crashing @1592x720 with lexar 1000x 32G
will turn off all overlays, switch to jpg for photo, and let you know.

Andy600 and Smeangol,
are the autoexec.bin and modules linked on the 2nd post to smeangol.com/ still the best to use for the 50D?
i see the fork https://bitbucket.org/smeangol/smeangols-sneaky-magic-lantern/commits/all with commits on 25.05.2013
the files in the Modules folder were compiled 18-23.
is there another fork or more recent code i could (should) try?

Welcome :) use the ones from post #2 for the moment. Any changes, new downloads etc will be updated in 1st post
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

goldenchild9to5

Quote from: JulianH on May 27, 2013, 11:33:40 PM
50D vs 5D Mark II raw  8)

Notes, details and settings on Vimeo. You can download the file or watch here in 1080p!

Nice test man was waiting for that one, downloading original files right now.  50D seems to be more organic and Film like to me, and the noise is cleaner @ 6400 ISO than the 5D Mark II.  Even after you scale the 50D's image it still hangs with the Mark II impressive. 

Markkedi

Hello everyone! I was already selling my 50D until I saw this, awesome job guys! Already installed it but since my 266x Kingston is choking I need to get new card and I can't order it until next week, oh the agony! But keep those test & comparison videos coming, keeps me going until I get faster card :)

JIKIJI

Hi all, I ordered a 50D for 400$ last week (guess i did well because now they are at around 500$ on ebay!)
Ordered a Komputerbay 64GB 1000x CF Card too!
I hope you guys will help improve this little raw beast :)

goldenchild9to5

Quote from: JIKIJI on May 28, 2013, 02:41:24 AM
Hi all, I ordered a 50D for 400$ last week (guess i did well because now they are at around 500$ on ebay!)
Ordered a Komputerbay 64GB 1000x CF Card too!
I hope you guys will help improve this little raw beast :)

Welcome on board.. you sure got a good deal got mines 3 days ago for $460 bet in another week or so they might go up to $550, or $600

goldenchild9to5

Quote from: Markkedi on May 28, 2013, 12:56:52 AM
Hello everyone! I was already selling my 50D until I saw this, awesome job guys! Already installed it but since my 266x Kingston is choking I need to get new card and I can't order it until next week, oh the agony! But keep those test & comparison videos coming, keeps me going until I get faster card :)

Great decision on not selling it, Patience my friend  8) waiting on my card as well.  What card did you get?

Hokie123

So there are a few 50d's in my area going for around $450. I would like to snag one up before prices raise, but have a few questions.

Is there any possibility of getting the 50d to shoot full 1080 or 1920x810?

My dilemma is whether to go with the 50d or the black magic pocket camera when it comes out.

goldenchild9to5

Guy's check out this sample video from the 50D looks awesome  ;D

goldenchild9to5

Quote from: Hokie123 on May 28, 2013, 05:39:15 AM
So there are a few 50d's in my area going for around $450. I would like to snag one up before prices raise, but have a few questions.

Is there any possibility of getting the 50d to shoot full 1080 or 1920x810?

My dilemma is whether to go with the 50d or the black magic pocket camera when it comes out.

Right now it's not there yet but it will be I believe.  Give the hack sometime and the programmers will eventually make everything work.  As far as which camera to get huuh!! for me the Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera is a no brainer ProRes 422 HQ / Compress Raw 13 stops of dynamic range and it records on SD cards $1000 can't beat that, got one on pre-order right now.  50D Raw 14bit recording with wide dynamic range, no audio recording, and Huge file sizes with small record time limit, and finally a beautiful image.  For me the 50D is an experimental camera that I will be using for major projects just because of what it offers, and the filmic images it produces.  If I were you I would get both and call it a day.   

Hokie123

Quote from: goldenchild9to5 on May 28, 2013, 06:15:01 AM
Right now it's not there yet but it will be I believe.  Give the hack sometime and the programmers will eventually make everything work.  As far as which camera to get huuh!! for me the Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera is a no brainer ProRes 422 HQ / Compress Raw 13 stops of dynamic range and it records on SD cards $1000 can't beat that, got one on pre-order right now.  50D Raw 14bit recording with wide dynamic range, no audio recording, and Huge file sizes with small record time limit, and finally a beautiful image.  For me the 50D is an experimental camera that I will be using for major projects just because of what it offers, and the filmic images it produces.  If I were you I would get both and call it a day.
Hmm, well currently I have a t2i, I plan on shooting RAW for short narrative films. I would use my t2i for everything else.

Getting a 50d now and a black magic pocket camera down the line sounds like a good idea. I could potentially sell the t2i and use the 50d for stills and the pocket camera for non-narrative video. Or I could save for a much more expensive camera such as a 5d mk3 to shoot RAW or the black magic cinema camera.

What path would you recommend?