550D/T2i raw video recording port official thread

Started by dlrpgmsvc, May 22, 2013, 12:11:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pavelpp

Anyone here tried fisheye or ultra wide angle lenses with RAW? What's the effect like in crop mode?

a1ex

It reduces the FOV angle, so keep that in mind when correcting the distortion.

xfornos

Hi a1ex, one question. I think that other people ask you this before, but I dont find it. If you and more people in this forum can make some improvements in the buffer of the 550d, it would be possible to record for example at 100 fps? in h264 of course.

Will be more improvements to film in RAW mode?

I made that 2 weeks ago, and I used fisheye in some clips. https://vimeo.com/68887628

Rewind

I build the raw_rec module from pravdomil's source:
https://bitbucket.org/pravdomil/magic-lantern-hack/commits/all

Raw_rec has some tasty features like black bars and auto global draw off while recording.
It looks like this now on my 550d:

Nice, huh?
I've noticed a tiny but consistent frame count increase with this. For example, with my previous build i've got about 500–510 frames with 1200x496 at 24 fps, now i'm getting 550-570.

Also, there is a small present for those of you, who dare enough to shoot the tv works on 550d — nice 3X4 cropmark, useful for PAL world )

Other stuff is from unified.
You can try my ML set here.

Notice: I have removed a large set of resolutions (useless for my works), and added 1200 and 1.42:1
This build also includes ETTR, file_man, pic_view.
See this thread if you are interested.

dlrpgmsvc

Do the ADTG fps override inserted into the new raw_rec module is working also for 550D or still only for 5Dmk2 ?
If you think it's impossible, you have lost beforehand

dlrpgmsvc

@rewind: it is useful if the fork you compiled will be fused into unified with on-off menu options: do you know if the author will make a pull request and with the necessary on-off menu functions?

Rewind

Quote from: dlrpgmsvc on July 07, 2013, 08:58:51 AM
@rewind: it is useful if the fork you compiled will be fused into unified with on-off menu options: do you know if the author will make a pull request and with the necessary on-off menu functions?
I can't see it in pull requests, but i'm not sure, i'm not really understand the structure of branches and how the work organized in general. So now what i'm doing here is just searching for good stuff and compile it for myself )

telecastDaveRI

Rewind, thanks for the compile! So are you basically just searching the other forums (600d, Mark II) and locating great features and compiling them?

I need to watch mk11174's video on that again so I can assist :)

dlrpgmsvc

This thread will keep open in order to discuss 550D raw development, but... now that the nightly build is integrated with the raw_rec module, do the builds linked in the first post have still reason to stay ?  ???

Lucas480

Hey Guys,

Now, on 550D can I choose picture quality? Perhaps,  the choise of Jpeg quality on this dslr can record at 1920x1080?  ::)
Maybe The choice of "raw-quality" for example to boost performance in "old camera".
I'm Full user of magic lantern but no developer.  :'(

Sorry I'm French, And i think my english is not very good for understand.  :P

"Record with no H264 codec on my 550D it's a dream! Thanks developer for this exploit"  :D
The Cinema, Is truth twenty-four times per seconds

mk11174

Quote from: dlrpgmsvc on July 09, 2013, 08:57:04 PM
This thread will keep open in order to discuss 550D raw development, but... now that the nightly build is integrated with the raw_rec module, do the builds linked in the first post have still reason to stay ?  ???
I guess it depends if the nightly builds come with ettr, pic_view and file_man which the versions in here do come with, maybe these are important to some people, I have not used a nightly build in awhile so I am not sure what they included, I always build myself. If everyone is happy then I would say they are not needed. I have not noticed any new updates in a long time, I hope the developers have not given up on the ML developing.
500D/T1i  550D/T2i  600D/T3i  700D/T5i

telecastDaveRI

Quote from: mk11174 on July 10, 2013, 02:00:14 PM
I guess it depends if the nightly builds come with ettr, pic_view and file_man which the versions in here do come with, maybe these are important to some people, I have not used a nightly build in awhile so I am not sure what they included, I always build myself. If everyone is happy then I would say they are not needed. I have not noticed any new updates in a long time, I hope the developers have not given up on the ML developing.

I agree! I know that I've seen the developers on other forums, so I know their time is pretty taken up by multiple platforms, but I would love to see if we could somehow allocate enough memory to at least get 1280 by 720 at 24fps. I was able to get that resolution at 12fps the other day with Rewind's build. So close I can almost taste it :)

CharlieA56

Is there any place in this forum where RAW video on the 500D/T1i is being discussed ?

I just installed the July 10 Unified to see if there is any progress... and I still have the same problem... the LV display freezes even thou the camera is still recording and only by hitting the PLAY button it can go back to normal.

And another thing... can I avoid the 1.40x stretch (vertical compression in this case) to be made in post ?

Thanx for any comments.

Here is one of those first tests...
Canon 6D, Canon 60D, Canon T2i & Canon T1i

djdew

Friends, tell me please! Can you shoot video size 720 * 400 (for example) but that there were no black borders on the edges of the frame (left and right)! I mean, that would have been distributed across the entire surface of the frame, not just the crop. If I wrote is correct (sorry I'm from Russia, my English is not very good))))

-sandro-

Hi, i just tried various frame rates, is it normal on 720p frames I get extreme moiré and bad quality (in terms of detail)? I'm not sure but maybe the real gain in resolution only starts at 1080p frames? Does 720p on 5d mk3 (the heaven for raw) look as bad ?

Soupertrooper

Quote from: -sandro- on July 12, 2013, 03:30:44 PM
Hi, i just tried various frame rates, is it normal on 720p frames I get extreme moiré and bad quality (in terms of detail)? I'm not sure but maybe the real gain in resolution only starts at 1080p frames? Does 720p on 5d mk3 (the heaven for raw) look as bad ?

I imagine to avoid moire you would need to get an anti aliasing filter. the 5d mk3 already has one built in I believe, so the shots look sharp and there is no false color.

From what I understand, I could be wrong.

dlrpgmsvc

Quote from: Soupertrooper on July 13, 2013, 07:56:51 AM
I imagine to avoid moire you would need to get an anti aliasing filter. the 5d mk3 already has one built in I believe, so the shots look sharp and there is no false color.

From what I understand, I could be wrong.

Not exactly. Every dslr has an antialias filter built in, but it serves only for photographic full resolution. The lower video resolution needs a more powerful antialias filter as an add-on. Mk3 has less moirè in raw video due to the fact that the max resolution is higher than all the Others cams can do (in raw video mode). More resolution = less moirè.

CFP

Quote from: -sandro- on July 12, 2013, 03:30:44 PM
On my EOS 600D even 1280 X 512 (2.5:1 aspect ratio) looks very good after upscaling it to 1920 X 769 (2.5:1 aspect ratio) if you use the right scaling and debayering algorithm. It looks as good as 1920 X 1080 H.264 in terms of aliasing and maybe even better in terms of moiré. So: No the 5D Mark III isn't the only camera that profits from the RAW videos.

But what exactly do you mean with '720p'? Do you mean, in the Canon menu you've set the resolution to 1080p or 640p and the width in the Magic Lantern menu to 1280 with 16:9 aspect ratio? Or have you set the resolution to 720p in the Canon menu too? It is important since the 1080p and 640p mode both have the same line skipping: Every third column and every third line. But the 720p mode uses a different skipping: everythird column but every fith line. The 720p mode has way worse aliasing because of the bigger gaps between the lines. It also means that the Canon 720p mode produces a squished image that needs to be streched in post. So for 1280 X 720 without good quality set the resolution in Canon menu to 640p (Every third line and every third column is read and the YUV buffer is smaller than in 1080p mode = more space for RAW and Magic Lantern) and in the Magic Lantern menu the width to 1280 and the aspect ratio to 16:9.

And to reduce moiré as far as possible you should use Adobe Lightroom or CameraRAW to debayer your footage. Everything else looks worse, even Davinci Resolve isn't as good as LR and CR.

-sandro-

thank you, by "720p" I mean that I set 1280x720 16:9 in ML but the Canon setting was at 1080p24 so if it's the same line skipping as 640p the quality I'm seeing is the best one I can get, it just looks bad for being a "720P" image but I understand why now.
I'm upset the SD controller of our camera is stuck at 20MB/s meaning there's no real future for this one:(

renowilliams

Rewind I tried your latest ML and it seems to work great. Here is a video I put together shot at 1200x496 @ 23.976       

CFP

Quote from: -sandro- on July 13, 2013, 03:58:21 PMthe quality I'm seeing is the best one I can get, it just looks bad for being a "720P" image
I'm not using the 550D but the very similar 600D and in my opinion 1280 X 512 (2.5:1 aspect ratio | doesn't work coninuously ...) looks good if you edit it correctly.
You have to keep in mind that you're working with uncompressed and completely unedited bayer data. So using Adobe Lightroom or CameraRAW for debayering and a very good upscaling method to enhance detail is a must to get sharp images without aliasing and moiré.

If your 1280 X 720 videos look bad in your opinion I think you may have a weak spot in your workflow. But of course you're right, our cameras aren't really good for RAW videos since they have such slow SD-Controllers and very small buffers.

pavelpp

I think he is referring to shooting in 720p canon mode. That sucks, you should not use it.

samhodge

Hey Guys

I heard about your firmware a few weeks ago and thought I would try it out.

To me good colour accuracy and no compression is more important to me than resolution.

I work in visual effects so the thought of dealing with a stair stepped 8 bit moving image makes me shudder.

Anyway I put up a couple of tech tests stopping the exposure up and down with the firmware you have put out there:

My Cat, with fur detail which would get lost in compression

A bowl of fruit

It shows the dynamic range of the image, the compression artifacts are questionable, because you are looking at footage that is compressed out of Nuke and then compressed again in Vimeo.

Everything seems to work as it says on the tin.

What is a decent card to be using to get the maximum throughput. I bought a Class 10 Ultra SanDisk 30Mb/s Card but it scarely does about 8Mb/s in the camera.

Anyway hello from Adelaide, South Australia, I hope you are having a great day.

Sam

renowilliams

Sam

You need to take the s off of https to get the link to work properly.

telecastDaveRI

Quote from: samhodge on July 15, 2013, 12:34:30 PM
Hey Guys

I heard about your firmware a few weeks ago and thought I would try it out.

To me good colour accuracy and no compression is more important to me than resolution.

I work in visual effects so the thought of dealing with a stair stepped 8 bit moving image makes me shudder.

Anyway I put up a couple of tech tests stopping the exposure up and down with the firmware you have put out there:

My Cat, with fur detail which would get lost in compression

A bowl of fruit

It shows the dynamic range of the image, the compression artifacts are questionable, because you are looking at footage that is compressed out of Nuke and then compressed again in Vimeo.

Everything seems to work as it says on the tin.

What is a decent card to be using to get the maximum throughput. I bought a Class 10 Ultra SanDisk 30Mb/s Card but it scarely does about 8Mb/s in the camera.

Anyway hello from Adelaide, South Australia, I hope you are having a great day.

Sam

Sam, your card should be fine. That is strange that you are only getting 8Mb/s in the camera. I have a pny (I believe) 35Mb/s card from some retail chain store (best buy, walmart, I forget...) and it usually getting around 19.5Mb/s. (by the way, don't expect much more than that. If you do switch brands, you don't necessarily have to get anything that is extremely fast as the camera can't output that fast. I assume you have the 550d.