5D2 RAW video Builds 14-Bit

Started by a.d., May 20, 2013, 05:27:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xNiNELiVES

I will not be using MLV for the performance reasons.

djzigoh

Quote from: dossisman on October 25, 2013, 08:22:01 PM
Shot with Magic Lantern RAW

Boring... Raw doesn't make a video Great... You can make a great video using Raw, and some other important stuff. I would filled that club with people ... Or used closer shots so the place doesn't look that empty or "fake". If only 1 location is avaible try changing angles .. Not always the same.

dossisman

Quote from: djzigoh on October 25, 2013, 09:47:24 PM
Boring... Raw doesn't make a video Great... You can make a great video using Raw, and some other important stuff. I would filled that club with people ... Or used closer shots so the place doesn't look that empty or "fake". If only 1 location is avaible try changing angles .. Not always the same.

I never said the video was great because it was shot on RAW.  I shared it because it was shot on RAW.

Thanks for watching, and for the notes.  The customer was pretty pleased with the end product, but there's always room for improvement. 

djzigoh

Please don't take me the wrong way, I was only suggesting. English it's not my primary language so I could been misunderstood .

reddeercity

Quote from: xNiNELiVES on October 25, 2013, 09:12:30 PM
I will not be using MLV for the performance reasons.
I think MLV is really meant for the 5d3, being it has more processing power & faster interface.
What's killing the 5D2 with MLV, is all the overlays & Gobal Draw stuff.
When i kill gobal draw & overlays it dose pickup speed but not like the the original version.
The max. write speed i could see was about 70.MB/s, normally i see about 76.0MB/s 
Its nice to have all the metadata that's being added to the raw files  but
not at the cost of basic Raw recording.
If we could strip away all the gobal draw stuff i think MLV may work on the 5D2.
All we really need is basic audio & metadata , from may point of view :)

robert.roth001

Where can we find the latest info on MLV? Any compiled, updated list of features? I remember there being a thread for it but I can't seem to find anything now...

PressureFM

Quote from: robert.roth001 on October 26, 2013, 10:25:21 AM
Where can we find the latest info on MLV? Any compiled, updated list of features? I remember there being a thread for it but I can't seem to find anything now...

Look at the very first post in this thread ...

Kharak

I have a request for raw2dng.

a.d., can you hardcode 5D MK II profile in to the latest version of raw2dng?

Vision Log requires correct Camera Profile to work and I only found an old version of raw2dng which has 5dmkii hardcoded, but I'm worried that it might be worse quality in that old version than the newest. Something about black levels, I believe.

once you go raw you never go back

Pulpart

This mode will be loaded at next reboot.
Please, help!!!

PressureFM

Quote from: Pulpart on October 28, 2013, 01:15:48 PM
Please, help!!!

Can you be a bit more specific?

Kharak

Quote from: Pulpart on October 28, 2013, 01:15:48 PM
Please, help!!!

try reboot  :o

poty

sorry how many bits is a raw file 5d2? 8, 10 or 14? I'm confused on how I can control this parameter.

ch_d

Quote from: poty on October 28, 2013, 04:53:15 PM
sorry how many bits is a raw file 5d2? 8, 10 or 14? I'm confused on how I can control this parameter.

14, you canĀ“t control this parameter. (you can shoot in h264 - 8bit)
5D MII

ARP

Anyone got MLV running smoothly?

raichu93

Just out of curiousity, while shooting raw at continuous 23.976 fps, can I use focus peaking on the LCD while recording? I am considering buying a 5D MkII and this would be a dealmaker/breaker for me.

ted ramasola

Quote from: raichu93 on October 28, 2013, 09:46:49 PM
Just out of curiousity, while shooting raw at continuous 23.976 fps, can I use focus peaking on the LCD while recording? I am considering buying a 5D MkII and this would be a dealmaker/breaker for me.

there are 2 flavors of peaking on the mkII. The older one uses color to indicate areas of focus. There is also a newer addition called Digic peaking which renders areas in focus as slightly sharper. The latter is faster and less distracting than the former and I find it to be more accurate than the older color overlay method.
5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas

raichu93

Quote from: ted ramasola on October 28, 2013, 10:09:16 PM
there are 2 flavors of peaking on the mkII. The older one uses color to indicate areas of focus. There is also a newer addition called Digic peaking which renders areas in focus as slightly sharper. The latter is faster and less distracting than the former and I find it to be more accurate than the older color overlay method.

I see, that sounds great. Are there any samples online of the digic peaking in action? And just to confirm, this does work flawlessly while recording RAW, correct? Thank you for the information, i appreciate it a lot, and sorry for the pestering with questions, I just want to make sure before I commit to buying it...

a.d.

Keep in mind MLV is still experimental, but the future sounds promising. Previously MLV didn't run on 5D2 well. The LV is freezed and you couldn't even stop the record. you need to pull out the battery and so on... Now it works just fine. Performance wise it's still bad. Now I don't touch the code for the bug report.

@vikado
Could you test the hdmi crop mark fix?
hdmi_raw_rec.zip

@Kharak
Latest raw2dng for 5D2
It's a little bit slower caused by the new median algorithm.
5d2_raw2dng.zip

a1ex

Quote from: a.d. on October 28, 2013, 10:58:22 PM
Latest raw2dng for 5D2
It's a little bit slower caused by the new median algorithm.
5d2_raw2dng.zip

Median for 5D2? why?

vikado

5d2 user

a.d.

I've just simplified thing: It took some basic ideas from median cr2hdr with code improvement: AHD, chroma smothing and 5x5 etc...

a1ex

Okay, but last time I've checked there were no pink dots on the 5D2.

This will reduce image quality, so it's best to have it off by default. If you want to try it from some very noisy or aliased shots, it should be an option, not the default.

ted ramasola

Colored playback in-camera for RAW video!! Thank you!
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

Kharak

Quote from: ted ramasola on October 29, 2013, 03:06:46 AM
Colored playback in-camera for RAW video!! Thank you!

for mlv or raw?

Cause I can't playback mlv and raw is still black and white for me.

@a.d.

Thanks man!

It works and with RAWanizer.

ted ramasola

Quote from: Kharak on October 29, 2013, 07:01:15 AM
for mlv or raw?

Cause I can't playback mlv and raw is still black and white for me.

I believe its both since it uses the mlv_play module. You have to load mlv_play module. It plays back even .raw files. I don't use mlv so I haven't tested it with mlv.

Default is colored playback, its slow, you can speed it up by pressing SET button, its goes low res grayscale but faster playback.

Note: its not yet added by a.d. in the first post. Its still in the nightly builds. Oct 28 NB.
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas