5D2 RAW video Builds 14-Bit

Started by a.d., May 20, 2013, 05:27:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ThibaudS

A quick compare :

Hope is useful !

Config : 5D mark II - 24-105mm - Komputerbay x1000 128Go & build 3ecd254bdba1
I never experienced such intense delight. Delight is a weak term to express the feeling of a naturalist who for the first time has wandered himself in a rainforest ; such a day brings a deeper pleasure than he can ever hope to experience again - Charles Darwin - 1875

F.T.I. ARMY

AUDIO AUDIO AUDIO!!!!!! WHAT HAPPEN YOU THE AUDIO??? haha Please someone help me!

ted ramasola

Quote from: F.T.I. ARMY on July 06, 2013, 11:17:43 PM
AUDIO AUDIO AUDIO!!!!!! WHAT HAPPEN YOU THE AUDIO??? haha Please someone help me!

On the 5d2 it goes out of sync when used with raw video so its advised to record separately using external recorder.
BUT you can try your luck by switching it on VIA FPS over ride menu>Sound record>WAV  ,, thats where they hid it.

I have tested it extensively and it will give you low performance with raw video and produce unpredictable results in sync.
5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas

F.T.I. ARMY

Quote from: ted ramasola on July 06, 2013, 11:32:26 PM
On the 5d2 it goes out of sync when used with raw video so its advised to record separately using external recorder.
BUT you can try your luck by switching it on VIA FPS over ride menu>Sound record>WAV  ,, thats where they hid it.

I have tested it extensively and it will give you low performance with raw video and produce unpredictable results in sync.

THANKS !

Doyle4

@ted ramasola

Could you write an example of what you would have to write in terminal to join the files please,

Iv seen various commands on here but they dont say what to put before or after like destination ect, iv tried RAWmagic and it works but i find them not as clean looking as RAW2DNG, and i like the ProRess Export with R2D, help would be amazing right now, i have a 6gb file that i cant get access too :(

Cheers

Lukasz

Hi, just to report 5D mark II,  new 64gb 1000x LEXAR card and just 60MB/s. I was reporting my low recording speeds to devs and they pointed out the memory. Now I have 227 malloc memory and still no improvement in recording speed( it improved with 29.06 build and small hack ON but it is still 15MB/s behind others who reported speed around 75MB/s) . I also want to report  crashes that occur very often with monitor plugged in and okii usb controller (I have crash logs but I do not know how to report it properly because the crash seems to appear accidently but it is memory involved) It was reported by the other 5D mark II users also. Hoping for help from 1% and ALEX who implemented memory improvement. You Guys are doing just amazing job!!! You need some kind off people empower Oscar!!! .  Just a question... Is it possible that shutter count has something to do with the recording speed????

reddeercity

Quote from: Lukasz on July 07, 2013, 12:48:38 AM
Hi, just to report 5D mark II,  new 64gb 1000x LEXAR card and just 60MB/s. I was reporting my low recording speeds to devs and they pointed out the memory. Now I have 227 malloc memory and still no improvement in recording speed( it improved with 29.06 build and small hack ON but it is still 15MB/s behind others who reported speed around 75MB/s) .

Hi  :)
I just got my new Lexar 1000x 64 Gb card also, and there is slow write speeds by the Benchmark.
But when you record you should see about 70 to 75MB/s write speeds.
Have you done any recording tests ?
The page before i posted about my card & the fact i can get 1856x1003 24p for 10,000  frames
at a time, because at 42 GB the card stops recording.
No mater what frame size on 64GB card there is a issue at the 42GB Mark every time.
i get around this by recording only 10,000 frame or 30GB at a time to get my 14 Min. of Raw @1856x1003 24p
on the Lexar 1000x 64GB card

Lukasz

There is far from 42gb problem... The camera regardless of the settings: global draw OFF, manual lighting of live view, S picture size, etc... I saw it going crazy with stuff like monitor and OKII controller plugged in... And It is 60MB/s limited with 29.06 build regardless of settings of the camera... It is far from expected frames per second...

dariSSight#1

Quote from: reddeercity on July 06, 2013, 09:10:46 PM
:)
On the 5D2 the Max-with from the sensor is 1880
Canon upscale the image to 1920 for h264 with software.
It really depends on what your Project calls for.
Being that the image is very scale able meaning , re-framing, punching-in.
I like to use Max amount of the sensor then crop out sides .
the other reason i like it is because of the reduce height for a more Film look & feel !

It also easier to Write to the card @ 68.5 MB/s
That's at lest in my case, I think if with can keep frame data close to the best Hexadecimal 
it should write quicker, but i'm Not a programmer so that a guess.

But with 1856x1003 it very close to HD @ 1:85.1 AR
that would be the ticket, there again re-framing etc...
I will settle for 1856x1003 for  HD Work & for Documentary
I would use 1880x854 or even 1880x940 if you can do it.

Stop thinking about line skipping and all the stuff, you will always have problems
with that line skipping for panning etc..
But think of you camera as a "Film camera" to capture Positive Film Stock (but More)
It's Not a Video Camera, because with are capturing Frames like "true Film" Stock
I personally turn off everything on the camera & use manual focus,
use proper exposing Technics, "Use Meter on camera" i don't use the "ETTR" function.
but i have a Variable ND and  Stop it up or down for scene.         

I totally agree with your assessment, I film some quick shots of a creek behind my home area

Lukasz

I also Have Lexar 16gb 400x card, and it is limited with my camera to 45MB/s... !?!

reddeercity

Quote from: Lukasz on July 07, 2013, 03:28:05 AM
I also Have Lexar 16gb 400x card, and it is limited with my camera to 45MB/s... !?!
??? this puzzles me, for you should have no problems recording Raw.
I wounder, what are your setting ?
Maybe there is something no set right of over looked .

these are my setting : Canon Menu
photo=small jpeg
Auto power off=OFF
LCD Brightness=manual
Movie rec. size=1920x1080 24p

ML Raw record module from june29 from A_D_ Hack built (the one with the disclamer)
ETTR=Off
FPS override = set to exact 24
in the Raw Video tab
i set previews to Auto or Hacked
recording frame=White rect
Small hacks= On

I have notice that on my Lexar 1000x 64 GB card i had to Brake in the Card like a pair of shoes ;)
I did about 12 full card records  before it started to write at the proper speed ,
and the other thing that you may try is to set warmup card
or just write 200 frame at lower resolution then Start the Main record .
I hope that helps :)

edit:What is the Max Frame size you can record?
Don't be to concerned about the benchmark read write test,
It's the Frame size you need be concerned about.

ted ramasola

Quote from: Lukasz on July 07, 2013, 03:28:05 AM

400x is too slow.
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

ted ramasola

Quote from: Doyle4 on July 06, 2013, 11:58:50 PM
@ted ramasola

Could you write an example of what you would have to write in terminal to join the files please,

Iv seen various commands on here but they dont say what to put before or after like destination ect, iv tried RAWmagic and it works but i find them not as clean looking as RAW2DNG, and i like the ProRess Export with R2D, help would be amazing right now, i have a 6gb file that i cant get access too :(

Cheers

I'm on PC so I use rawanizer or raw2cdng.

I suggest you post over at the POST PROCESS THREADS specific to MAC as the developers for the app check it often not here since this thread is mostly checked by raw_rec developers like a.d. 1% and a1ex.

I post my suggestions and bug reports over at the RAWANIZER or CDNG threads and the devs themselves reply.
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

Rolfe Klement

Shot some very quick tests of my class with the 5D Mk2 (last 2 shots) and the 50D (first shot) -  under horrific cheap fluoro lights. And it looks amazing - even before dodgy web compression. Shot 2 was a lens test to check focus while crash zooming...

Also learnt 2 good lessons - never have a battery less than 50% - weird flicker happens - even under tungsten bulbs. Lesson 2 - if the lcd viewfinder flickers when recording then the footage will flicker (even if your light flicker meter tell you otherwise) -  Shot 1 has a very slight flicker and it gets sorted in shot 2 and 3 -  by tweaking the exact FPS.

Amazing thank you to all the dev team!

http://vimeo.com/69735373

thanks
R
creativesunshine

guentergunter

Quote from: silvertonesx24 on July 05, 2013, 05:30:33 PM
Using 6/29 build and an external monitor, crashed every time when trying to write with the external monitor attached. Attached crash logs for review

http://sdrv.ms/17XKStJ
Hmm, didn't try it again, since I got THIS problem with my Lilliput 667, too.
There's actually, obviously not much effort done to solve this problem - or I just can't see the solution.
5D2 ML RAW + VAF-5D2b: http://vimeo.com/69350650

Doyle4

Quote from: ted ramasola on July 07, 2013, 04:56:41 AM
I'm on PC so I use rawanizer or raw2cdng.

I suggest you post over at the POST PROCESS THREADS specific to MAC as the developers for the app check it often not here since this thread is mostly checked by raw_rec developers like a.d. 1% and a1ex.

I post my suggestions and bug reports over at the RAWANIZER or CDNG threads and the devs themselves reply.

No problem dude, ill be honest n say i posted here as it gets alot of attention where as other post's dont but will give it a shot as i still haven't solved it.

Lukasz

Quote from: reddeercity on July 07, 2013, 04:08:50 AM
??? this puzzles me, for you should have no problems recording Raw.
I wounder, what are your setting ?
Maybe there is something no set right of over looked .

these are my setting : Canon Menu
photo=small jpeg
Auto power off=OFF
LCD Brightness=manual
Movie rec. size=1920x1080 24p

ML Raw record module from june29 from A_D_ Hack built (the one with the disclamer)
ETTR=Off
FPS override = set to exact 24
in the Raw Video tab
i set previews to Auto or Hacked
recording frame=White rect
Small hacks= On

I have notice that on my Lexar 1000x 64 GB card i had to Brake in the Card like a pair of shoes ;)
I did about 12 full card records  before it started to write at the proper speed ,
and the other thing that you may try is to set warmup card
or just write 200 frame at lower resolution then Start the Main record .
I hope that helps :)

edit:What is the Max Frame size you can record?
Don't be to concerned about the benchmark read write test,
It's the Frame size you need be concerned about.

Thanks for Your input. Max frame size is around 1880x800 as it records with speed close to 60MB/s.
What is more intresting regarding settings, I can turn on stuff like global draw, size of pictures to L, etc.(all the memory consuming settings) and the writing speed is also 59-60MB/s?!?

xNiNELiVES

So should I download the official ML 2.3 release and then install the modules and auto exec from the zip in the bitbucket link? Or should I download a nightly version of ML?

reddeercity

Quote from: dariSSight#1 on July 07, 2013, 03:17:27 AM
I totally agree with your assessment, I film some quick shots of a creek behind my home area

Thanks  :D
Tried to watch you video but, said its Private  :(

lagunak47

hmmmm. I turned on separate wav recording in the fps override menu, however no sound files are being recorded. Anyone have any idea what is going on? Also in the audio menu in ML it says i have sound disabled in the canon menus even though it is not.

mvejerslev

Sound is not recorded with forced FPS.
5D Mark II, PC

lagunak47

Quote from: mvejerslev on July 07, 2013, 09:53:50 PM
Sound is not recorded with forced FPS.

even with forced fps off it still doesnt make a file

dariSSight#1

Quote from: reddeercity on July 07, 2013, 08:29:49 PM
Thanks  :D
Tried to watch you video but, said its Private  :(

Sorry About that, I Fix it

ted ramasola

Quote from: lagunak47 on July 07, 2013, 11:04:01 PM
even with forced fps off it still doesnt make a file

A1ex did mention here that due to its being out of sync that sound recording is removed. So I guess that switch no longer works.
that's probably the reason why thy "hid" that option deep in FPS sub menu.

You can read the tip when you select it that say, SOUND GOES OUT OF SYNC. SO IT HAS TO BE RECORDED SEPARATELY.
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

Doyle4

as far as im aware it only records a 5second tone, this to allow a separate recording device to sync later to the footage.