6D - Install guide and raw shooting.

Started by noisyboy, May 20, 2013, 04:07:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

leandroprz

Quote from: 1% on March 19, 2014, 04:15:10 PM
there is an installer for 113 now. it booted up on my cam so no need to downgrade anymore.... until 114

Where can we download the installer?

Pelican

The 1.1.4 fw is out so the 1.1.3 fw upgrade not available from Canon now but still downloadable from EOScard's home page.
EOS 7D Mark II, EOS 7D, EOS 5, EOS 100 + lenses (10mm to 300mm), 600EX, 550EX, YN600EX x 3
EOScard, EOS DSLR firmwares, ARMu, NiControl, etc.: http://pel.hu/down

leandroprz

Quote from: a1ex on March 19, 2014, 11:12:25 PM
http://builds.magiclantern.fm/

Thanks!

I thought I was missing something because I did not find it there when I posted my comment, but now I see you just updated it.

Etrocal

I'm not sure if this has been addressed, apologize in advance if it has.  It seems when shooting RAW video on the 6d (1600x68 I think) the color temperature and sometimes exposure seemingly either adjust automatically or darken/brighten.  The camera is entirely set to manual, expo adjust is off, are there any setting in the ML firmware that cause that?

Also somewhat unrelated but I've been digging into Raw2dng and was wondering if there's a version out that I haven't found that pulls out the .dng's from RAW files but doesn't take the time to compress it to ProRes4444.  Thanks!
5d mkiii - 6d - Canon 24-105mmL, 85mm 1.8, 28mm f1.8, 50mm 1.8, 40mm 2.8  -  and a boatload of accessories

random

Why are my results getting worse and worse with each build? I remember in mid 2013 when I was able to record 1472x626 contineously without any issues.
With the latest buildt from March 14th I'm not even able to do 1280x544 more than 15s before frames are skipped and the display freezes. 

It shows me continous recording possible up to 864x486 (16:9) at 16.7MB/s ?!  Am I the only one?

(using a SanDisk Extreme 45mb/s)
EOS 6D  -  EOS 650D  -  EF 24-105mm/4 IS L  -  Sigma 50mm/1,4 EX  -  Kenko 1,4x MC4 DGX

Marsu42

Quote from: random on March 22, 2014, 02:11:55 PM
Why are my results getting worse and worse with each build?

Why do you think ML is the cause? SD cards deteriorate with prolonged use, did you try a new card or an old ML build to verify?

random

you think it's the card?
I guess it's like 10 months old and wasn't used very intensley. gonna test the 95mb/s card I'll recevie on thursday.

update: you were right. worked fine with another 45mb/s
EOS 6D  -  EOS 650D  -  EF 24-105mm/4 IS L  -  Sigma 50mm/1,4 EX  -  Kenko 1,4x MC4 DGX

slurpies

Quote from: random on March 22, 2014, 02:11:55 PM
Why are my results getting worse and worse with each build? I remember in mid 2013 when I was able to record 1472x626 contineously without any issues.
With the latest buildt from March 14th I'm not even able to do 1280x544 more than 15s before frames are skipped and the display freezes. 

It shows me continous recording possible up to 864x486 (16:9) at 16.7MB/s ?!  Am I the only one?

(using a SanDisk Extreme 45mb/s)

This happened to me recently with the 45mb/s card and I tried upgrading to the 95mb/s pro, and didn't see a bit of difference.  Then I realized my picture settings had switched back from RAW only to RAW + L Jpeg, so it ended up being my problem. 

I still don't get any benefit from the pro vs. extreme 45, but they're both reliably fast. :) Good luck on whatever the issue is.

random

no benefit at all?

I expected the transfer rate would be at least a little higher, like 42mb/s max or even 45mb/s. so you're max is still 720p continously?

Marsu42

Quote from: random on March 25, 2014, 02:01:53 PM
I expected the transfer rate would be at least a little higher, like 42mb/s max or even 45mb/s. so you're max is still 720p continously?

You appear to be a willing marketing victim, maybe they should sell double-platinum sd cards with gold crested border and an exclusive swarovski crystal in the center ... but 6d's sd controller is simply maxed out at 40mb/s :->

hmoorenz

Just installed latest build and lost control over audio gain, is there anyway to get this back? And also my menu is disappearing after 2secs of inactivity, can I make that period longer? Thanks in advance

slurpies

Quote from: random on March 25, 2014, 02:01:53 PM
no benefit at all?

I just basically did a series of tests in record seconds between the two and was surprised at first, but realized that basically was the resounding message on the forum; that the 45mb/s card was really the best cost/performance wise.

Using the same build on both, at 1792 I get 16 seconds on the 45mb/s card, repeatedly.  15 seconds on the 95mb/s repeatedly.  Sometimes 16 on it.  They're both legit cards as well.  Just bought the 95 from Best Buy a few days ago.

I guess it's possible at a long record time that one could outdo the other in a trivial matter, but overall for now it seems best to just shoot with the 45.  I could be wrong though :)   

schedonnardus

Hey everyone, new 6D owner here!  I just installed ML using the instructions on page 1 of this thread.  I'm pretty noobish at this (but have rooted phones in the past, so this process was pretty straightforward). 

My question is: does anyone recommend a specific build to run that's fairly sound? I know that the development is ongoing and nothing is 100%, just trying to get my feet wet.  I'm really more interested with the photo settings for now, though I plan on shooting some video from time to time.

Big thanks to everyone that works on ML!