600D/T3i Raw Video

Started by N/A, May 18, 2013, 04:16:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clkvang

My video showcasing RAW's dynamic range in natural light. I think the difference is the gradation and smooth roll-off of highlights that keep me shooting RAW compared to H.264. But it could be a perception thing too.

Tmassa

Quote from: clkvang on August 13, 2013, 05:20:03 AM
My video showcasing RAW's dynamic range in natural light. I think the difference is the gradation and smooth roll-off of highlights that keep me shooting RAW compared to H.264. But it could be a perception thing too.

What settings did you use for this?

bullittmcqueen

That's a really nice looking video! Was the close up on the cook's face done on 3x zoom?

Quote from: clkvang on August 13, 2013, 05:20:03 AM

clkvang

I shot this using 640 mode using 1280 x 544, but shot at 22 FPS. No 3x mode since I was using a 50mm and it was too tight. I used a Pentax 50mm f/4 Macro for the close ups. All natural light and no CC just white balanced.

clkvang

@ 1% - was A1ex's buffering raw_rec.mo applied to the SixThirty build? Just wondering because I stumbled upon the thread it looked like in best case scenario, frames captured were doubled.

Tmassa

Using RAW video at 1152:624 at 16frps i was able to capture this.

https://vimeo.com/72460366

Sane__

Quote from: Tmassa on August 16, 2013, 08:59:00 AM

It looks absolutely terrible...

deletedAcc.0021

Quote from: Tmassa on August 16, 2013, 08:59:00 AM

You need to use a tri-pod.  Most of it was out of focus with exception of your foot.  Otherwise, have fun with the raw stuff.

N/A

Let's keep the video posts to the video section, please (unless it's for examples of glitches, errors in the program, etc.).

Shot a bunch of raw footage yesterday and it all came out damn nice, the dynamic range alone makes me love it more and more, even with the complex workflow. The ability to over-expose is well worth it.
7D. 600D. Rokinon 35 cine. Sigma 30 1.4
Audio and video recording/production, Random Photography
Want to help with the latest development but don't know how to compile?

N/A

Dual Iso is now available for 600D, the link was in the dual iso thread but it's dead now. Soon as it's back up I'll update the first post of this thread with the link.

vicnaum

Quote from: N/A on September 01, 2013, 08:18:38 AM
Dual Iso is now available for 600D, the link was in the dual iso thread but it's dead now. Soon as it's back up I'll update the first post of this thread with the link.

Could you please tell more about this? I've searched the last few pages of dual-iso thread, but can't find much info about 600D. What's available? Only photo, or video too? What are the drawbacks (there must be some because 600D isn't as good as 5dmk3, right?), etc...

CFP

Quote from: vicnaum on September 02, 2013, 12:47:02 PM
Could you please tell more about this? I've searched the last few pages of dual-iso thread, but can't find much info about 600D. What's available? Only photo, or video too? What are the drawbacks (there must be some because 600D isn't as good as 5dmk3, right?), etc...
I tried the feature on the same day 1% released it some weeks ago. It works in LiveView, Photo Mode and even with videos if you film in RAW.

It's a great feature and increases the dynamic range by up to 3 steps thanks to the 600D's native ISO 3200.
There are no limitations on the 600D, it is as good as the 5D Mark III. Well, since the RAW videos of the 600D have really low resolutions using Dual-ISO with videos will probably give you many artefacts. I tried it only two times and the result looked very bad. But A1ex made much progress since that day and maybe he could improve the quality ...

I would have to try it with one of the newer CR2HDR and RAW2DNG versions.

N/A

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wh68tmxe0dt1xyn/%5B600D%5D%20DualIso.zip

I've done a few pics/vids with Dual Iso but haven't processed them yet, looks promising though.

kson

Just signed to these forums. Long live MagicLantern, you people are the best!

Does there exist a possibility of reading the raw data directly from the camera RAM and circumvent the memory card bottleneck? I know i can read preview jpegs at 1054x704 resolution continuously from the RAM through the usb connection (very LQ jpegs at least). Maybe it's possible to trick the camera into sending other data than the preview jpegs from the RAM thru the usb connection?

1%

USB is just as slow as the SD card. Can't even do that JPEG at much more than 20fps.

kson

What if you wrote simultaneously to the card and thru the usb connection? Maybe this is impossible.

Anyway thanks for a quick reply, and all the wonderfull upgrades to the 600D.

N/A

Tested out the newest nightly but still had sRaw set from the TL Dual Iso build and had 107 MB buffer memory, most I've ever gotten. Interesting...

CFP

Yes, same thing here. 107 Megabyte buffer with the current Nightly and the 'Pic Quality' still set to 'SRAW'.
But when I replaced the Nightly's 'autoexec.bin' with the 'autoexec.bin' from the Tragic Lantern 'SixThirty' build it was 103 Megabytes again.

Maybe there's even more space left ... Or is it a bug?

By the way, which raw_rec version is the best? The 'SixThirty' version or the version from the current nightly build?
Or is there a version I'm not aware of because 1% had to upload it somewhere else again?

deletedAcc.0021

Quote from: CFP on September 05, 2013, 09:39:13 PM

By the way, which raw_rec version is the best? The 'SixThirty' version or the version from the current nightly build?
Or is there a version I'm not aware of because 1% had to upload it somewhere else again?

I'm still getting the best results with the SixThirty build as far as clean video.  I tried the latest nightly again today and back to getting pink frames again.

I'm beginning to think I'm doing something wrong with the nightlies.  One day I get good results, the next not so good.

1%

QuoteMaybe there's even more space left ... Or is it a bug?

I updated the sources but didn't compile a latest yet. FYI, you get 103 vs 107 because of different amounts of "backup" memory being allocated. I'll check in main, maybe less backup is being allocated or something changed and didn't merge. 4MB shouldn't make much difference one way or another, its like 2-3 frames at best.

N/A

Anyone else trying Dual Iso video on the 600D? I'm getting mixed results, with regular "line-skipping" raw video the (debayering?) artifacts are horrendous. With 5x "no line-skipping", its a bit better but still plenty of bad pixel areas. I noticed when I convert the dng's to CR2 and use the latest CR2HDR for OSX to save them for editing, the .txt file says this-
    1 image files updated

Input file     : M14-1725_C0000_00000.CR2
Canon EOS 5D Mark III detected
Full size      : 1280 x 512
Active area    : 1280 x 512
White level    : 12500
Black subtract didn't work
ISO pattern    : BddB RGGB
Noise levels   : 8.00 8.00 8.00 8.00 (14-bit)
Estimating ISO difference...
ISO difference : 2.00 EV (400)
Black delta    : 10.25
Interpolation  : mean23-chroma5x5-alias
Dynamic range  : 10.35 (+) 10.35 => 12.35 EV (in theory)
Matching brightness...
Looking for hot/cold pixels...
Hot pixels     : 23
Full-res reconstruction...
ISO overlap    : 5.4 EV (approx)
Half-res blending...
Chroma filtering...
Building alias map...
Filtering alias map...
Smoothing alias map...
Noise level    : 8.00 (16-bit), ideally 8.00
Dynamic range  : 12.35 EV (cooked)
Output file    : M14-1725_C0000_00000.DNG

I convert the raw files into CDNG with RawMagic, which indicates that the camera was a 600D, but I'm assuming CR2HDR is automatically reading them as MKIII pictures? Here's an example frame, Dual Iso 100/400, 5x zoom, 1280x512 rez. This frame was rendered from LR but I'm getting the same spots with ACR in AE. I was holding the camera so it's somewhat blurry-

vicnaum

Quote from: N/A on September 15, 2013, 08:04:17 AM
Anyone else trying Dual Iso video on the 600D?

Where can I get the build with Dual Iso? TragicLatern has only july SixThirty download.

N/A

Check the first post of this thread

a.d.

Quote from: N/A on September 15, 2013, 08:04:17 AM
I convert the raw files into CDNG with RawMagic, which indicates that the camera was a 600D, but I'm assuming CR2HDR is automatically reading them as MKIII pictures?
Camera Model, Canon EOS 5D Mark III, is hardcoded by RAWMagic.

Doyle4

Quote from: vicnaum on September 15, 2013, 09:28:27 AM
Where can I get the build with Dual Iso? TragicLatern has only july SixThirty download.

Or download very latest Nightly :)