600D/T3i Raw Video

Started by N/A, May 18, 2013, 04:16:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

apefos

My request about 3,2:1 aspect ratio is to make possible 1280 x 400 (the maximum resolution for 600d datarate with 1280 width @ 24p)

about make the overlays just two lines, this is to avoid overlays to be inside the white frame when using 1344 x 768 resolution

I found two lines could solve, but if you need to write three lines, try to put them near the top or bottom of LCD, to make them appear outside the 1344 x 768 frame.

when using 640 x 480 25p in canon menu there is image in the top and bottom of LCD so the overlays can be near the top or near the bottom of LCD, leaving the 1344 x 768 white frame clean to see what we are recording.

Alia5

Sorry 1%... but global draw is not shutting off for me...

Edit: Found out something new for me... Dunno why i didn't try earlier...
Not much about video, rather photography:
Doing lots of Action-Sports photography...
Using 720p-mode in highest res possible at about 16-20fps making that kind of sequences...
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=542667595772954&set=a.542667119106335.1073741829.542633299109717&type=3&theater

i got something like working sRAW, i got more fps (even more than a 1dx), and i can get more frames!
Need to sync the flash to it!

Next week i'll graduate, finally, after partying (HARD), i have to set up the compiler again and do some work! :)

gebo

Besides magenta frames there is other thing happening: exposure changes during recording. Seems the camera is auto exposing in an inverse way. When I shoot inside, where it's darker and then point to a window the camera adjusts the exposure to even brighter which is the opposite of a normal auto exposure.

Anyway I'd like to get rid of this auto exposure and have control over it. I've seen RAW videos on youtube with the same problem.

Any ideas?

apefos

take a look at these two pictures. they show the overlays inside the 1344 x 768 white frame.

my suggestion is to put the overlays a little more to the top to go out of the recording frame and also a little more to the right to get out of the black area of the LCD.

you can also put some information above the white frame, near the top of lcd and some information below the white frame, near the bottom of lcd.

1%

QuoteSorry 1%... but global draw is not shutting off for me...

I didn't make a bin auto shutoff for canon preview yet. Its in the source only.

I see what you're saying though... in 640x480 mode its going way over the frame. I think it would have to go on the bottom.

apefos

Overlays in the bottom will be good, maybe you can do it in just two lines instead of three as we talk in previous post.

N/A

Quote from: gebo on June 02, 2013, 01:31:17 AM
Besides magenta frames there is other thing happening: exposure changes during recording. Seems the camera is auto exposing in an inverse way. When I shoot inside, where it's darker and then point to a window the camera adjusts the exposure to even brighter which is the opposite of a normal auto exposure.

Anyway I'd like to get rid of this auto exposure and have control over it. I've seen RAW videos on youtube with the same problem.

Any ideas?
Set acr to process 2010 instead of 2012
7D. 600D. Rokinon 35 cine. Sigma 30 1.4
Audio and video recording/production, Random Photography
Want to help with the latest development but don't know how to compile?

Drewton

Got a 95 mb/s card today which makes this pretty awesome. I can get at least 440 frames/18s from 1216x512 now which is very usable for film making. No magneta frames for me.

There's something really unique and exciting about this - not being able to properly see what you've shot, or hearing actors' performances, until you process it on the computer. So watching it later is more of a surprise. It reminds me of working with film in that way.

EDIT: Actually have some magneta in 1728w.

vicnaum

Yes, I confirm the bug:
- Some RAW files have the first frame DNG from previous RAW sequence. It's not identical to the last frame from previous RAW, it just somehow is written to the next RAW container instead of the previous one.

Also when I playback some RAWs in-camera - they're displayed very black and over-contrast. And other RAWs does not - displayed normally, smooth grayscale.

JohnBarlow

Can we have a feature to input custom aspect ratio and frame size via an editable data file?

It seems to me this would remove the need to beg for custom settings to be hard coded, which is a practice that has not worked for me ever, so far :)

Thanks

1%

It would have to be a specific config file for raw_rec. All you would get to set is W and aspect.. doesn't seem worth it.

Playback issue is a bit weird, they seem to play back normally for me, just slow and grayscale.

Have to test 1728... that area had problems originally. Full res would come out at the wrong width (all frames were pink). Hopefully this was sloved with raw rec rewrites. Other pink frames would be from GD.

Quote- Some RAW files have the first frame DNG from previous RAW sequence. It's not identical to the last frame from previous RAW, it just somehow is written to the next RAW container instead of the previous one.

Either this is a converter bug or last "cut off" frame remains in memory. I haven't seen this with in camera playback. Will be on the lookout.

Latest commits are for fseek and playback of any raw vids from file man. Going to make a build with that soon as I can.

vicnaum

Quote from: 1% on June 02, 2013, 05:04:24 PM
Have to test 1728... that area had problems originally. Full res would come out at the wrong width (all frames were pink). Hopefully this was sloved with raw rec rewrites. Other pink frames would be from GD.
1728 works okay now, using it from time to time.

Either this is a converter bug or last "cut off" frame remains in memory. I haven't seen this with in camera playback. Will be on the lookout.
This appears in RAWanizer, and in raw2dng, and even in-camera (btw, if changed resolution of the next recording - then the first frame is garbage). So seems that it remains in memory. Than means that there's a bug there somewhere (maybe causing pinkframes too?)

Playback issue is a bit weird, they seem to play back normally for me, just slow and grayscale.
I will try to picture how it looks on-camera, to test whether it's a playback issue or recorded raw issue. Just need to "catch" it, and also need to have the possibility to playback earlier raw-file, so waiting for new build.

Also I'm having random pink-frames from time to time. Say the first one is with pink one, then I can do 5-10 videos without any pink-frames. And then a couple with. And then without again...
I remember that when I was using "[600D] Aspect Lock.zip build + newest raw_rec.mo" on 27 May (see video in reply #295 http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5494.msg41262#msg41262 ) - I didn't get any pink-frames at any resolutions (all complete recordings from that day are in the video, and there are no pink frames visible)). And on one of the latest builds they appeared again.

If you're going to move recording stats to the bottom, so it doesn't cover CPU usage, then I'll investigate the CPU stats and it's dependency on pink-frames. Maybe some service runs in the background occasionally and loads full-cpu? Or something...

Mainly shooting 720p squeezed, GD off.

JohnBarlow

It would have to be a specific config file for raw_rec. All you would get to set is W and aspect.. doesn't seem worth it.

It would be worth it to me and anyone who wanted to experiment with custom sizes, but I have come to expect that useless begging wont help me :)

Its such a shame that I have 3MBs of available bandwidth that I am not using

1%

It doesn't work that way, sizes have limitations for writing. You think it will write 3MB faster but it will write slower if not fitting the 64Xw or 512 constraints.

Haven't moved indicators yet but the new playback/GD off in canon preview is up.

Can't add any more widths, used all multiples already. More aspect ratios I can.

Weird if its pinking up in 720P with GD off... I'll have to shoot  a bunch of long files and see. I made the memory less aggressive between then but I don't think any other major changes. I can put it back since pink frames are from CPU hiccups. Preview lets you see them real time.. but also causes them..

vicnaum

Quote from: 1% on June 02, 2013, 05:45:15 PM
Weird if its pinking up in 720P with GD off... I'll have to shoot  a bunch of long files and see. I made the memory less aggressive between then but I don't think any other major changes. I can put it back since pink frames are from CPU hiccups. Preview lets you see them real time.. but also causes them..

Dunno, maybe worth a try. The videos aren't long. I shoot high res like 1536, 1600, 1728 etc, with 100-300 frames - and sometimes they appear (3-5 of them for 200-300 frames).
Yesterday was a worst pink-day - shot a great thunder-storm from inside on a field, but each and every vid had pink-frames :-(
Today shot kids in a park, and got only 2-3 shot corrupt of around 20 shot.

Maybe it's some electro-magnetism? :-D

---

Btw, raw over-contrast playback is a playback issue. Just caught it:

You can see that the same video played twice - first one on the left is very "blacky", and the second playback (and beyond) - on the right - it played back normally.

Then shot a bunch of videos without noticing playback issues (except the first frame from previous happening sometimes), and caught it again, but after second playback it also became normal.

So just some playback problem.

JohnBarlow

Quote from: 1% on June 02, 2013, 05:45:15 PM
It doesn't work that way, sizes have limitations for writing. You think it will write 3MB faster but it will write slower if not fitting the 64Xw or 512 constraints.

Can't add any more widths, used all multiples already. More aspect ratios I can.

I am running 18.4MBs at 960Hx960V @12p (Scope plus Twixtor to 24p) Looks good :)

I request 21 MBs at (W)Hx960V @12p where (W) is anywhere between 10-20% wider than 960. Surely this is possible while keeping the vertical at 960V?

apefos

I found 1664 x 944 @ 8fps useful, maximum possible for 8 frames per second.

the 640 x 480 25p Live View Preview does not cover this resolution at the sides, but raw video records ok, no problem.

no skip frames, no magenta frames.

so the overlays must allow to see this white frame from 1664 x 944 also.

overlays in just two lines, one near top and one near bottom will be the solution.

See the 1664 x 944 white frame and the overlays inside the 640 x 480 LV preview:

1%

Yep, I know I'll figure out a way to move those.

5 mins solid 960x480 - no pink frames w/canon preview. Going to try higher res.

apefos

Would bee good idea to put Canon LV preview as the default when enable the raw rec, to avoid we keep changing it all the time.

Global Draw goes OFF when hit rec, it is working, but just works in canon option, does not work in auto option, so move canon as the first (default) option will be good.

Also it will be good to enable a STOP button when files are in playback. In file browser, when file is playback, the only way to stop is to press half shutter, then we need to navigate again to go to file browser again. a stop button can stop playback and go back to the file browser folder.

1%

Stop is 1/2 shutter, probably need to do the default as you said... auto is useless and will lead to magenta frames in 5x.

But about moving the indicators:

Realized its a little bit impossible.

*Shoot full sized at lower fps.. indicator draws over frame.
*Shoot zoomed 5x and use dolly, indicator will draw over frame
*shoot left, dolly up, indicator draws over frame

There is no place to draw it and have it be 100% in all cases in 640p, 720p, 1080p, zoom. Feels like an exercise in futility. Even one line at the bottom would draw over a full crop. Only option would be to turn it off or turn only buffer on (which can still draw over frame)

1288x720 12fps -3.5k frames no magenta.

vicnaum

Surely it will overwrite something. It's the matter of _how much_ it will overwrite. Now it overwrites the CPU load :-)

One line in the bottom (or top) looks like the best option.

1%

Problem is that the indicators contract and expand... with drawing one line it will draw over or have left over characters and look jacked up.

I'll see what happens just putting it on the bottom.

apefos

Remove all the titles and keep just what really matters, just one line at bottom, very low bottom:

<**.>   5247F   3984MB   20.8MB/s   0001.RAW

where:
<**.> is the buffer
5274F is the frame count
3984MB is the file size
20.8MB/s is the datarate
0001.RAW is the filename

1%

Worth a shot but the numbers contract.

So you'll get stuff like this:

<**.>   5247F3984MB 20.8MB/s001.RAW

apefos